GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Covid Practice Plans (Green Building -- please tell me I'm not nuts!)

1234568»

Comments

• DShepleyDShepley Members  262WRX Points: 268Handicap: 2Posts: 262 Greens

I went out at night with a headlamp and didn't see any cutworms though I did see a whole pile of dew worms. I'm wondering now if the spots that were bare became more noticeable because of the reduced cut height and are spots that are still growing in? Perhaps where seed was disturbed by birds picking for worms, or where the roller on the mower squished down worm casings and seed didn't germinate? I did pick up some pesticide, (we are limited in what we can use up here), and will treat as a preventative measure. Over the weekend, I made up a divot mix of sand, soil, peat and seed, and I filled all of the spots that were bare. These should start to germinate by the weekend hopefully.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Sub Zero - Rogue Max 65 S

TM R15 3 Wood - Speeder Evo Tour Spec S

Srixon ZU85 18* - Recoil F4

Adams CMB (4-Gap) - KBS C-Taper S

Titleist Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Rife Cayman Brac - Island Finish

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DLiverDLiver Members  2864WRX Points: 327Handicap: 2.2Posts: 2,864 Titanium Tees

Thanks for the time spent on this interesting thread!

Posted:
  • me05501me05501 Members  443WRX Points: 35Posts: 443 Greens

Are you planning to sod/seed any tee boxes around the property?

Posted:

I don't think so, there would be too much maintenance involved and getting water to them would be tough. I do have a fiberbuilt hitting strip that I plan on building into a portable stance board that I can move around the property. Preliminary still, but I'm thinking of setting it into a sheet of 4x4 plywood and covering with indoor / outdoor carpet with handles on the side so I can move it easily. I'd have to build a frame around the edge with 2x4 lumber so I could drop the fiberbuilt strip to the same level as the stance mat. This way I would have a fairway type lie anywhere I wanted.

Posted:

• RoejyeRoejye Members  139WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 139 Fairways

This has been a great thread, I can't wait to see the finished project.

Posted:

I finally got around to finishing my bunker. This is basically a local beach sand, (it comes from a pit close to the banks of lake Huron). I'm happy with the quality, it is a fairly fine sand and will match well with what our local courses use. May as well practice the same as you play. Now to find a proper bunker rake.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Posted:

We finally got some substantial rainfall. About 3" in the past 48 hours. Despite that, I managed to get out to the green and try out some 35 yard pitches. I also hit from the bunker but the sand was pretty wet still and making a mess. My lawn needs cut, (the rain kept me from it), so you can't really see the green but you will have to trust that these shots held. Despite the rain, the green surface has drained well and is still relatively firm. The bad news is that I found a couple of cutworm caterpillars prior to the rain. Last week I treated with BTK though I'm not sure how effective it is. I will treat again tomorrow when the threat of rain has subsided.

http://youtu.be/4fKrAtAxoh0

Posted:

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14078WRX Points: 2,888Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,078 Titanium Tees

Tell me where the quarry is on Huron. Did 7 summers in Kincardine ....

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

My supplier told me that he gets it from a pit beside the Pinery Provincial Park, so Grand Bend / Ipperwash area. It's about 30 minutes West from me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14078WRX Points: 2,888Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,078 Titanium Tees

Nice, I met my wife in Grand Bend ... 31 years ago

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

It takes me a touch over 2 hours to cut my lawn, hand mow around the golf green, and cut the golf green and I like to stand back and admire things when it is done. That small bare patch beside the bunker has been seeded several times but I keep getting unlucky with heavy rainfall and it gets washed out. This time we got 4" in 48 hours though it was much needed and thankfully most of it fell gently over a long period of time. On the 'small victories' front, my greenside bunker didn't fill with water so it appears my French drain is working like a champ! I can confirm that there are cutworms, (I found a few the other day), but I have treated and it looks like it is working so fingers crossed the spots they ruined heal quickly. Next on my list is a bunch of frequent and light top dressing so I can lower to my final cut height. I was hoping to get at it today after I cut everything but my pile of sand was still too wet. The good news is that we are getting a break from the humidity for the next few days.

Posted:

• TexasTurfTexasTurf Members  106WRX Points: 65Posts: 106 Fairways

That looks awesome, congratulations on the grow in, I have been watching. Sometimes (or all the time) some spots on greens are weaker based on too much or too little water, disease, the season, etc. and just get weak and die. When you have some downtime when this project is over, you can grow a small nursery green that you can take grass from to plug out areas that are weak or dying on the putting green (maybe next years project)

Posted:

Thanks. In reality it will take a couple of seasons for things to start looking great. I just wish I had caught the cutworm problem earlier. Things were looking great and then one day it wasn't. I think I'm back on track now though. I have a new appreciation for professional Superintendents after struggling through July's weather!

Posted:

• RoejyeRoejye Members  139WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 139 Fairways

Looks better than some of the greens at my home course, but they did have a pump problem. I'm glad this is working out well for you. Hopefully the cutworms were nipped in the bud.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  412WRX Points: 279Handicap: 12Posts: 412 Greens

What a great day DShepley! Congrats on the nice equipment. Having the collar and approach area is such a great opportunity.

It brings to mind something you wrote early on... "if you build it, they will come". The equipment seems to be arriving, this seems to be getting better and better for you. Kudos!

Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.

Wishon 919THI  9* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0  54*SS & 60* Eye2
    Ping Anser3 Swan neck MgBr putter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.