Golf in Houston area

CAT GOLFER

My family is exploring a move to the Houston area because of a new job opportunity and I was curious what the golf scene looks like. I know the Houston metro area is huge, I would guess we would shy towards the eastern side?

just looking for general golf knowledge, I’m a typical hacker, like to keep a small rotation of good courses to play often, and venture out to explore new, exciting courses.

is golf mostly private, is it a better option? Are there enough public courses for hacks like me, lol?

Any knowledge or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

There is plenty of public courses to play, but good practice facilities are pretty scarce. If you are gonna be on the east side, there is Gus Wortham that is a nice track. Further East is Battleground, but haven't been out there in a while since they had lost all of their greens a while back. Memorial Park is more in the central metro area and just got a face lift, but is currently closed due to COVID. There are lots of pubic courses out 290, but that is more northwest of Houston.

I've never belonged to a club so don't have much info or background for you there, but there are quite a few in the surrounding areas of Houston that are a part of Clubcorp.

There’s also Bay Forest in LaPorte, course is pretty good, and the practice areas are decent. But Houston is so big and it just depends on what East means.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Best course on the east side is Eagle Pointe in Mount Belview. Pretty much always in good shape, lot of elevation changes especially for the Houston area. They also offer very affordable memberships as well.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I was going to mention Eagle Pointe, but that was why I asked how far is east. That a pretty good distance East.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

You definitely want to look at Clear Lake/League City area as a consideration. It that works out there are three clubs to consider if you want to club, Bay Oaks, Southshore Harbor and Magnolia Creek. I don't know much about being a member of a club but I believe all three are Club Corp. There also GreenTee in Pearland that is close to the area. I have never played but I hear it's fantastic. I have visited for a few lessons, and it looks great.

If you end up living in Baytown then Eagle Pointe is a skip a way.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

I am a member at Magnolia Creek / South Shore. It's 54 holes at two sites on one membership. It's a golf club not a country club, there's no pool / tennis / gym or anything like that.

Mag creek is links style over 7000 yards from the tips and pretty open modern style. Good practice facility. South shore is more classic country club style course shorter and tighter than mag creek with water in play on a bunch of holes.

The courses are south east of Houston about 10 mins off each side of i45.

Same here and pretty much agree with the above, I play Mag pretty much 100% of the time. You can't beat the conditions of this course year around and they have great practice facilities.

Also most of the members at South Shore have been there a while, kinda old school and from what I hear not too friendly to newcomers.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Baytown, and without a doubt, Eagle Pointe is the best course anywhere within a reasonable drive. They’re proud of it though, around $65 weekend rate and $45-$50 weekday. Last I remember, when I cancelled my membership a couple years ago, it was $105/month and $19/round to play. Basically, 2 weekend rounds and you’re near break even. They have a good range, decent enough short game area, big putting green. The food in the grill is good, and they do sell beer but they don’t sell any liquor. Good selection of stuff in the pro shop, cart fleet is brand new, and they have a regular skins game.

bay Forest in LaPorte is always in good shape, but has to be the most boring course in the entire Houston area. I love 15 minutes from it, and if I play it once a year it was a busy year.

battleground is a decent layout, but the course right now is complete trash. It has always been hit or miss, and right now it’s a biiiiiiiiig miss.

timber Creek can be nice, but it’s a journey from here and they’re quite proud of it. It is also hit or miss as far as conditions. I haven’t been there in months, but it was nice last time I was out there. 3 9s, so it is always a different combination or different order. Keeps it fresh if you don’t play it every day.

theres Newport in Crosby (about a 25 minute drive for me on the northeast side of Baytown). It’s a fun course, in good shape. It hosted an LPGA tournament for a couple of years back in the day.

after Evergreen in Baytown closed, I joined Eagle Pointe. The only reason I gave up my membership is my wife started playing and the course is tough for her so she doesn’t particularly enjoy it. We play most of our golf at Chambers County (about 15 minutes east of Baytown just off I-10 in Anahuac). It’s cheap, it’s BYOB, and it’s a good ol boy county muni. You will see people in anything from jeans to gym shorts and a t-shirt. I don’t get bothered by that kind of thing. Not difficult course, not a lot of trouble to get into with errant shots, usually in decent shape (good greens right now) and usually a 2.5-3 hour round on any given day. Weekend rate is $32 including a cart, I believe $22 if you walk. Can’t beat it if you’re close enough and not expecting a bunch of other “stuff”. They have no grill, the pro shop is lucky to have golf balls for sale, but the folks are nice. I probably have more of a sentimental attachment than anything else because my uncle pretty much taught me to play out there.

East side of Houston proper isn’t a place you want to live. It’s pretty hood. East of Houston isn’t bad (Baytown/Mont Belvieu). Baytown has it’s shady areas, and it’s nice areas. Northeast side of town where I live is quiet, low crime, nice houses and neighborhoods. There’s 2 nice parks with trails through the woods connecting them walking distance from my house (it’s where I run a few days a week). I was born and raised here, and aside from a year in New Jersey, I’ve been here my whole life (40, so a been here a minute). Any questions you may have about the area, any specific locations on this side of town, I will gladly offer any advice I can.

Really appreciate all this information. I think the determining factor will be a combination of easy access to an airport and proximity to the Baytown/La Porte/ Pasadena areas for work. We also have two small children that will be starting school in the next few years , so I have a feeling a great school district will also be high on the list.

Proximity to an airport would depend on where you would be traveling to. Hobby is on the south side of town, closer to Baytown/Laporte/Pasadena than IAH, but hobby flys mostly Southwest Airlines and they are pretty limited in where they go. IAH is on the north side of town, a pretty good clip from the area you’re talking about, but flys pretty much anywhere you want to go in the world.

pasadena is closest to Hobby airport of the 3, but the crappiest one of the bunch to live. Depending on where exactly you would be working, clear lake area would be good if Hobby airport supports the locations you need to fly to. That being said, in Houston rush hour traffic, it could take you upwards of an hour to get from clear lake to Baytown for work.

What is the going rate for a junior membership at Magnolia Creek / South Shore these days? I live in downtown but I already drive an hour for most of the courses I play (High Meadow Ranch, Moody Gardens, Wilderness). I am spending $60-100 bucks every time and I play 1-3 times a week. I'm thinking its time for a membership somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, house selection is not based on golf(I wish), its more to do about proximity to the airport. My wife will have an office in Pasadena, but she’ll be on the road a fair amount. We will both likely WFH anyway, she might need to go into the office 2 times a week. I’ll let her deal with the consequences of a commute.?

yeah that is a hike. Could easily be an hour plus drive depending on the exact locations and traffic, but only twice a week makes it way better. The closest privates in the woodlands area:

Carlton woods $$$$$ - and you probably need to know someone

The woodlands country club - Club Corp 36 holes - $$$

Golf Trails of the woodlands / Lake windcrest - club corp - semi / resort - 36 holes on one site and 18 on another $$

Not sure private is in my pay grade, I see a number of places have “memberships” where you just pay per month and some places you pay an additional “access fee”(?). I guess with all the threads on here I am hesitant to get involved with the semi-private model, has anyone had positive experiences with any up in that area?

The woodlands to pasadena is an awful drive, even at 2:00 in the morning with no traffic. In rush hour, it will be anywhere from 1.5-2 hours of stop and go traffic. I would give it a day or two, and she will be looking to change jobs or move. There are no actual words I could say that could convey just how much she will hate it, and how much I would recommend against it.

People that have not lived here and experienced it really just cant grasp how bad the traffic is. The only place I have ever seen that rivals it is getting in and out of LA in rush hour. There are approximately 4.5 million people that live in harris county, and once you add the people that drive in from out of county/Houston to come to work, it is an absolute nightmare.

I’m looking for a WFH position, or at least one where I am remote support. I think my wife may luck out because she can “squat” in a business office closer to our targeted area.

I’m really just along for the ride, I know who makes the decision?. I’m excited regardless, I grew up moving a lot in my youth, so new and interesting is fine by me.

who knows, I may learn to enjoy early(pre-noon) golf.

well, I appreciate the feedback for sure. Haven’t even made it down to the area to look yet, but I’ll be sure to have my wife drive the route in the morning/afternoon to really drive the point across.

any north easterners who have moved to the area? Have to change equipment?(needlessly trying to find a way to “explore” new/more equipment?)

Depending on where in the northeast you are and what kind of altitude you play at, you could possibly lose some distance as we're basically sea level. I did not notice any change in distance (or equipment needs in general) when I moved to New Jersey. The rough is different and putting surfaces are different. People love to talk about how hard bermuda is to play out of, but learning to play in it, I found the bent grass and whatever other strains are common up there wreaked havoc on my game.