2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno irons - made in Japan or China

i think it maybe the other way around, forged in china and assembled in japan, atleast with all the new stuff, they would not forge in japan and then send out to be assembled, if they were forged in japan they would be assembled in japan.

the forging in china then shipping to japan for final assembly is way more common

*i am not saying for sure mizuno is doing this, but i know the latter part of my comment is being more and more the way it is

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

This could get as bad as a blade/cb thread...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This is what Chris Voshall said in a recent podcast. No mention of where their Hot Metal heads are cast.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My MP20 HMB 3-PW set had the Mizuno sticker that said, "Head made in Japan. Shaft made in Japan. Assembled in USA." for what it's worth.

I believed most/all forged Mizuno irons are made in Japan, while the cast/multi-compound heads are China.

This has always been am interesting topic for me to dive into, as I prefer to get a Japanese company's product that are actually made in Japan. As with cars, musical instruments, etc, with golf clubs, that's not as common these days. Especially with federal regulations in place that seeminglt discourage domestic manufacturing in lieu of saving the planet... But I digress.

When I was shopping around, Srixon assured me their irons were forged in Japan, yet the label on the box clearly stated the heads are made in Thailand.

If you're buying new, the manufacturer's label is hard to argue with.

Go figure! Fun topic. Glad I found it using the search bar.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, Georgie Z said:

Made in China used to mean inferior a long time ago. Nowadays it doesn’t really matter as long as the company chooses to require the same standards it would have in Japan.

Yes, but how many do?  The migration to China has been driven by price, not quality.  The latter comes with a trade off on the former.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 6:55 PM, 36plusHand said:

My MP20 HMB 3-PW set had the Mizuno sticker that said, "Head made in Japan. Shaft made in Japan. Assembled in USA." for what it's worth.

Yes - this is actually pretty common. I just ordered Miura wedges, same thing. Forging done in Japan, shaft and grip (and lie/loft adjustments) produce the finished club in Arizona (for US orders). 

In general, casting may be sent to China, but I suspect forging is all Japan. So possibly clubs like drivers and FWs may be done in China. 

But forging is not something as easy to outsource. The expertise and quality control is as much an art as a science, even if the clubs are (somewhat) mass produced. Japan has a long history (like, centuries) and tradition of forging the best metal in the world (I have Japanese kitchen knives, most of the best chefs use them - very expensive, but they are in a whole different league).

Somehow I don't see Mizuno, or any top level Japanese clubmaker, outsourcing forging to China just to save a few manufacturing bucks. Mizuno doesn't really try to compete on price in a race to the bottom. They sell entirely based on quality and feel. Their core market is not weekenders, it is good amateurs (and mediocre amateurs with disposable income). 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:22 PM, Richard Capone said:

I purchased the JPX 921 hot metal irons a couple of years ago and was disappointed to see made in China stickers on the clubheads only shafts were made in Japan.

At least they don't hide from it. 

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is a fun trip down memory lane!

A little update... I've recently discovered there's a bit of a loophole with the prestigious "Made in Japan" sticker/designation that is strictly controlled in Japan.

The modern day notion of a product Made in Japan being synonymous with high quality and the national Japanese spirit of quality and precision in everything they produce, may now be cheapened.

Apparently, a trade agreement exists between Japan, China, and several other Asian countries wherein as long as a product is "substantially transformed " or simply assembled in Japan, it can be considered "Made in Japan" and will earn the coveted Made in Japan sticker/label.

This is especially prevalent in musical instruments and electronics that are "Made in Japan", wherein a guitar may have it's wood body and neck cut in China, then shipped to Japan for final finishing and assembly, whilst earning its Made in Japan decal on the back of the headstock.

What really irks me is that I can only assume that if a major Japanese musical instrument company conducts business this way, then a major Japanese sporting goods company producing golf clubs that are "Made in Japan" may fall victim to the same (poor) practice of having a product foundationally created in China/outside Japan and then being "transformed" into its final form in Japan.

There's a pretty quick U.S. Federal Trade Commission report on this compliance out there, a pretty solid read for those who care.

• Thanks 3

Nice thread here.  I think it would be very interesting if someone was able to put together a chart showing where all club manufacturers actually made their heads.  That also would include “US” companies like Titleist, Callaway, PXG etc.  I Dont care where the club is “assembled”, that’s BS.  I’d like to see where the actual club head is manufactured.  Seems like whenever someone asks the question all we hear are crickets…..

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 2

I believe this to be almost "secret" information for all of the OEM's including DTC.  I believe that there are a couple that use Thailand (Endo) these days, Srixon, Bridgestone, and maybe some higher end Callaway forgings that I have heard.  The assumption now is that most are made in only a couple of different foundries in China.  When I say a couple, I really only mean about 2.  This information came from one of the Engineers at the Golfworks (Maltby).

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

So most if not all iron heads are “forged” or made in some factory in China with exception (I guess) of Miura?   I’m not interested in where they are “assembled,” I’m just curious as to where the actual heads are made.  Where is the actual metal coming from and who’s making the heads.    Can’t seem to find anything on YouTube or anywhere for that matter.  It’s like a big secret out there no?

Edited by mtnbiker5

1 hour ago, mtnbiker5 said:

So most if not all iron heads are “forged” or made in some factory in China with exception (I guess) of Miura?   I’m not interested in where they are “assembled,” I’m just curious as to where the actual heads are made.  Where is the actual metal coming from and who’s making the heads.    Can’t seem to find anything on YouTube or anywhere for that matter.  It’s like a big secret out there no?

I don;t think you'll be able to find a definite answer.  Manufacturers wont want to publish that unless they have to as some may feel the value is diminished if the head is not made and forged in Japan and/or with Japan steel etc.  To this effect, I find the Japanese websites a bit more forthcoming.  PRGR Japan states when some parts are made in China but does not specify exactly which parts.

Proto USA site does not list any info on where the heads are made. Proto Japan site does. IIRC, heads are made in Taiwan or Thailand.  I can't recall but I shared a screenshot in another thread.

As for Miura... I would not assume they are made in Japan today.  Some models and some capacity possibly.  All models and capacity?  I would not assume that.

To each his own of course 

Edited by LionGolfer

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing, this.

I walked around the big box golf store recently and was somewhat pleased to see that many of the new iron sets had shaft labels which indicate where the head and shaft are made, as well as the country of assembly.

Callaway only indicated where they were assembled (Mexico) but the rest are pretty upfront about it all.

Srixon's ZX5 and ZX7 earned the Made in Japan for their heads, as did all of the non-JPX Mizuno irons. And most TaylorMade and Titleist were either Taiwan or Thailand, with Ping's majority being made in Vietnam. Several putter heads are made in the USA and several more are Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Thailand. Pretty cool to see that!

Now, most drivers and woods were China but still, for now you can avoid the China irons with some quality choices, if such things are important to you and your wallet (your ultimate voting apparatus!)

For what it's worth, given that an item usually need only be "substantially altered" in any given country to earn its "Made in" label but at least it's something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

image.png

Edited by Tzoid
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

• 4 months later...
On 10/17/2023 at 1:07 PM, Lord Viking said:

Its a bigger deal for MP series

JPX not as big a deal

Oh yeah, strong concur.

I was told (by Mizuno customer service) that basically any "Hot Metal" would not be Japanese. Yet, the MP-20's "Hot Metal" Blade (HMB) were indeed stamped on the box as the head being Made in Japan.

When in doubt, just hit your local big box store and check the label/box, that's all I've ever done! Only brand I never see country of origin on the label is Callaway, who simply state they're Assembled in Mexico.

Edited by 36plusHand

On 5/8/2023 at 9:41 AM, 36plusHand said:

Funny thing, this.

I walked around the big box golf store recently and was somewhat pleased to see that many of the new iron sets had shaft labels which indicate where the head and shaft are made, as well as the country of assembly.

Callaway only indicated where they were assembled (Mexico) but the rest are pretty upfront about it all.

Srixon's ZX5 and ZX7 earned the Made in Japan for their heads, as did all of the non-JPX Mizuno irons. And most TaylorMade and Titleist were either Taiwan or Thailand, with Ping's majority being made in Vietnam. Several putter heads are made in the USA and several more are Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Thailand. Pretty cool to see that!

Now, most drivers and woods were China but still, for now you can avoid the China irons with some quality choices, if such things are important to you and your wallet (your ultimate voting apparatus!)

For what it's worth, given that an item usually need only be "substantially altered" in any given country to earn its "Made in" label but at least it's something.

Except for Titleist lol they won’t tell you it’s made in China lol

• Like 1

My TSR2 Driver and Fairway wood had the stickers on the shaft showing head made in China....lol  Assembled in USA of course....haha

Not sure about the irons though

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

On 9/1/2021 at 5:55 AM, 36plusHand said:

I believed most/all forged Mizuno irons are made in Japan, while the cast/multi-compound heads are China.

This has always been am interesting topic for me to dive into, as I prefer to get a Japanese company's product that are actually made in Japan. As with cars, musical instruments, etc, with golf clubs, that's not as common these days. Especially with federal regulations in place that seeminglt discourage domestic manufacturing in lieu of saving the planet... But I digress.

When I was shopping around, Srixon assured me their irons were forged in Japan, yet the label on the box clearly stated the heads are made in Thailand.

If you're buying new, the manufacturer's label is hard to argue with.

Go figure! Fun topic. Glad I found it using the search bar.

If your heads are mase by Endo in Thailand you can be assured they are first class in every way

Clubmaker in Singapore has toured the facility and claimed it second to.none.