***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Is Michael Jordan's new course the future of course design?

2»

Comments

• StetsonStetson Members  2706WRX Points: 175Posts: 2,706 Titanium Tees

@cvvorst will go play 3, 4, or 5 holes almost everyday. Rarely plays 9 and it’s a full moon if he gets in 18.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 (Changes Daily)
    5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
    3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Tour AD IZ)
    or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members  1570WRX Points: 192Posts: 1,570 Platinum Tees

The club I grew up playing at you could easily create this. 1,2,3 are near the clubhouse. I can’t even begin to count the number of rounds I’ve played just those 3 holes and left. Because I only had a few minutes to play. You could also play 10, 11, 6, 7, 8, 9. I’ve done that a ton of times as well. Many days I started on 4 and played 4-18 and then finished with 1-3. It’s definitely a nice amenity.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6TX
    3 Wood: Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* EvenFlow Black 75 X
    DI: Callaway X-Forged UT 18*  Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Titleist T100 4-9 Nippon Modus3 130X
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 46F, 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line, Nike Method 001
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour Bx
    Bag: Vessel Players Stand 2.0 14 Way
  • lagacealagacea Members  78WRX Points: 41Handicap: 10.8Posts: 78 Fairways

Interesting concept, as someone with 2 young children at home, it's difficult for me to get out often for anything more than 9. With that said playing only 3 or 6 holes would feel incomplete to me I think.

Posted:
  • jli2636jli2636 Members  1092WRX Points: 130Posts: 1,092 Platinum Tees

Small loops are great when you have kids. I have a yearly pass to a public course that has a few small loops. You can play loops of 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7 holes in addition to your regular 9 or 18 options. The loops are great when you want to take your kids out and they don’t have the attention span for a full 9. My daughter loves going out for 3-4 holes because after that point she starts to get disinterested. I just moved office buildings with my company but at my old building I was able to drive to the course, change shoes, walk 3 holes, and get back to the office in about an hour. It was fantastic to be able to do that on lunch breaks. I would also much rather go play than hit balls at the range, but I have never really liked going to the range.

Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13984WRX Points: 1,537Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,984 Titanium Tees

I don't think rich has anything to do with it, it's more about time. I used to be a member of a club that I could literally driver across the street from my office after work, I would often just have an hour or two for a little golf before heading home. It was great to be able to just unwind for a bit. And I'm not a "rich guy" Being able to play a quick 6 holes then a 18 hole round during the week is great, also if you play 18 and feel like 3 or 6 holes more to settle a few bets, it sounds awesome.

To me a great week of golf during the season would be a partial round during the week after work than a full day at some point where I play 18 to 27 holes.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • 6x66x6 Members  153WRX Points: 53Posts: 153 Fairways

Prestwick hosted the first twelve Open Championships beginning in 1860. The course had been designed by Old Tom Morris and only had 12 holes. I was lucky enough to have played it almost 3 years ago to the day. Great course and often under appreciated.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members  1826WRX Points: 419Posts: 1,826 Platinum Tees

12 holes is great, but what would be better is courses enforcing reasonable pace of play policies so it wouldn't take 4 1/2+ to play 18 holes. The current state of golf in IL is glorious with 15 min tee time gaps and two somes, we played 9 in an hour and 15 last night.

Posted:

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300
    Taylormade M3 5 wood Accra FX 300
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    MG2 50/54/58 S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

It isn't always pace of golfers that booger pace of play, it is the spacing that they send golfers out at. You've experienced that spacing is key to pacing.

Posted:
  • mallratmallrat Members  3344WRX Points: 482Posts: 3,344 Titanium Tees

2 years ago I worked at a high end resort course that had something similar done unintentionally. You could play 1-9, 1-11, 1-13 & 18, 10-13 & 18, or 10-18. Most people had no clue of this but it is awesome. I work on the course maintenance side and would get off work at 1:30 and pick the kid up from school a little after 3. A quick 4 holes, you bet.

Now logistically from a course management POV this is a nightmare. You are most likely going to have to pay for 9 or 18 holes. There just isn’t an easy way to mix the groups in. But for a course that needs to generate golfers this could be an option.

Posted:
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members  1826WRX Points: 419Posts: 1,826 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300
    Taylormade M3 5 wood Accra FX 300
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    MG2 50/54/58 S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

The 15 minute tee times instituted by local courses to side social distancing has been fantastic. Foursomes finishing in 3:45 easily at 11a on a Saturday. Hope that the 7.5m intervals go away and 10 becomes the minimum. A few extra bucks in exchange for 60-90 faster pace is a trade off I would make.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

Don't let them charge you a few extra bucks. The course will make just as much money because they will have the same number (maybe more) groups play throughout the day.

Google this "golf course owners association pace of play study" and the first return is a pdf. Read up on that and you'll see why I say what I wrote above.

Posted:

I looked it up. Some ppl just hate data and refuse to accept it as true. This is pretty clear that 10 minute intervals hurts no one

Posted:
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  397WRX Points: 119Posts: 397 Greens

As a junior I belonged to a course that was laid out like that. I like being able to go play after dinner.

Posted:
  • mhbarnesmhbarnes Members  23WRX Points: 21Handicap: 4.2Posts: 23 Bunkers

We have a course here in Houston called High Meadow Ranch that has a 3 - 6 hole layout. I love the concept but it makes turning in scores difficult. The handicap system still asks for 9 hole scores.

Posted:
  • Tim_GavrichTim_Gavrich Golf Travel Guru Vero Beach, FLFeatured Writer  205WRX Points: 78Posts: 205 Fairways

Rather than calling GROVE XXIII the future of golf course design, it might actually be more accurate to call it the past of golf course design. Look at a lot of the classic courses on Google Maps and I think you'll be surprised by how many were laid out such that someone could play a handful of holes relatively easy. Shorter loops are possible on most golf courses that are laid out on a fairly compact and regular-shaped piece of property. Given the option, I would rather walk 4 or 5 holes and hit multiple balls than just grind on the range for an hour.

You learn to hit a golf ball on the driving range, but you learn to play the game on the course.

Posted:
    Senior Writer, Golf Advisor

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
    Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
    TM V-Steel 21*
    Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
    Evnroll ER5 (370g)

Advertisement
  • BogeyUh_FindsaWayBogeyUh_FindsaWay Members  19WRX Points: 30Handicap: 18.7Posts: 19 Bunkers

There is a course in the Denver area, Meridian Golf Club, that has a separate 3 hole loop from their 18 and offer a lesser "practice facility" membership that has access to the loop, range and inside bays with Trackman.

Posted:
  • BogeyUh_FindsaWayBogeyUh_FindsaWay Members  19WRX Points: 30Handicap: 18.7Posts: 19 Bunkers

I'm moving to Katy TX in a couple months, I'll have to check that course out.

Posted:
  • mhbarnesmhbarnes Members  23WRX Points: 21Handicap: 4.2Posts: 23 Bunkers

Its one of the best public courses in the Houston Area IMO. Its up in Magnolia but definitely worth the trip!

Posted:
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3575WRX Points: 225Posts: 3,575 Titanium Tees

Course I played growing up was kinda like that. 1-5 were out around the perimeter of the course, and then 6 was right beside the clubhouse. So we'd play 9, then play another 5 if time allowed. Then hit tee shots on 6 (par 3) just in case one went in (it never did).

Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST -  F9 14.5* - F6 17.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1522WRX Points: 309Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,522 Platinum Tees

Michael Jordan's new course is under water right now! Opps! Bobby Weed heart dropped I'm sure. BTW not a video.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • zonacats23zonacats23 Members  746WRX Points: 286Posts: 746 Golden Tee

Not under water anymore. Opens back up tomorrow.

Posted:
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1522WRX Points: 309Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,522 Platinum Tees

It's only been over a week. It wasn't a 100 year rain that came down, changes have to be in the plans asap.

Posted:

Sometimes 10 isn't the answer. There are a ton of things that go into flow of players through a course. Almost universally when golfers complain about slow play they complain about waiting to hit. Not having to wait to hit or waiting very little very rarely is a factor of proper flow of groups through the course. The work of Bill Yates is eye-opening in this regard and more courses should take advantage of his system for their courses and we would all be more happy golfers and likely would help stem the lagging participation (pre-covid lag). Unfortunately Bill passed on in 2018 but his work for improving golf (for golfers and owners and operators) is right up there with wooden tees and tri-plexes.

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

My home club is really good for flexible rounds....

8th green near clubhouse. 15th an easy walk in. Can play 8, 11 as 3rd green also close to clubhouse...

Posted:
  • Ty_WebbTy_Webb New YorkMembers  3257WRX Points: 459Handicap: +0.9Posts: 3,257 Titanium Tees

My club back home has 36 holes and they loop around and past each other all over the place. You can play virtually any number of holes and finish on 18 from 2 up to 18. Just depends where you skip across. Weekday evenings it's deserted, so you can switch around all over the place.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
    Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
    Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

Loads of Private Clubs have something like this in place (intentionally or not). At our club we have a 2 hole loop, 3 hole loop, 5 hole loop etc etc etc. all played in the evenings when the tee sheet is empty. It is self managed by the members and you just go play the holes you want in the order you want as long as you don't get in anyones way. It fun to play a few of the routing that start on one holes tee box and finish on a different holes green.

Of course this would be a nightmare at a busy public course, with people paying per round etc.

Posted:
  • me05501me05501 Members  445WRX Points: 36Posts: 445 Greens

This is fairly common among regulars at Sweeten's Cove. They have their favorite alternate holes and if there's room on the course they'll play it any number of ways.

I'm also intrigued by creative routing options and it's obvious that those are more tenable in a private club situation.

OTOH if a public course really wanted to offer alternate routings, they could make use of modern cart technology and come up with some options.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.