2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MidCapper Challenge! Short Game Goal Should Be ZERO REAL WEAKNESSES

Obee

It absolutely baffles me the amount of otherwise decent golfers (talking mostly about guys in the 6 - 14 handicap range, here) who have glaring short game weaknesses. They practice their full shots, strike the ball relatively well and repeatably, have figured out a way to get around the course and make plenty of pars. Many also putt decently and some even expertly well.

But ... I watch them play certain short game shots and I just shake my head. And I'm talking here about guys who play 2 - 5 times a week, so it's not from "rustiness" or lack or playing. Also, give then a little green to work with and they're fine. A good lie? No problem. But short side them? Or a downhill lie bunker shot, perhaps? Or a bad lie with little green to work with? Or a chip from above the hole where the green runs away? Potential disaster lurks.

Now everyone is different, of course, and there are some 6-cappers with great short games (usually older guys who used to be 2-cappers, though!). But I've been thinking about this a lot lately because my normal group at my club now is a "mixed" group of handicaps -- everything from a +3 and some college golfers, to a 21-capper and everything in between. We throw up balls every round to see who plays with whom, so no "choosing your group." Makes for some nice camaraderie for the group as we all get to play with everyone in the group instead of the low guys only playing with the low guys.

What I've noticed is that most of the guys I'm talking about have absolutely zero concept of the various short game shots. Almost everything is played with a square to square"ish" clubface and with the face rotating and closing down through impact (think the short game equivalent of a draw, versus a fade). Or, even if they know the face needs to be open to start with on a certain shot, they still use a set-up, technique, or concept where the face is starting open, but it then shutting down through impact so the ball is being propelled forward with too much force and/or not enough spin to stop it quickly on shots where that is required.

Played a late 18 yesterday at the club with a guy who's a 12 - 14 who was really struggling. He watched me hit a few short game shots and said, "How do you do that?" So we started talking about short game and some short game concepts. Like many players of his level, he had no concept whatsoever of how to hit a "slice" or "fade" with a short game shot. He couldn't hit a 10-yard pitch that quickly stopped if his life depended on it -- because he has never attempted to master the technique necessary to hit the shot.

I'm going to record a bit of stuff on short game concepts and short game choices and put them here. I hope they help some of you. I take great pride in my short game and get as much satisfaction from getting up and down from tough spots -- and to tough pins -- as I do from hitting a full 7-hybrid(!) from 155 to tap-in range. ;-) I've been able to compete against some of the very best mid-ams and senior ams in the world and I can tell you it ain't because of my length off the tee (225 - 255). Because I'm so short for a competitive golfer, I've had to make sure I have no real weakness around the greens (necessity/mother of invention, and all that).

I hope what I share is helpful to some of you. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I think part of it is most of the courses I've played don't have a real short game practice area. I can't wait think of one within a two hours of me. So you have to go on the course when it's empty to practice, and many if they go they're there to play, not practice

The places that do have a chipping green or a putting green you can chip on if it's empty, they barely get off the fringe or are so poorly placed, a skulled pitch is going through a car or clubhouse window.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Since I don't hit a lot of greens I practice my short game incessantly and it has paid off. The beauty about developing a decent short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so (I will be 65 shortly). We have a great short game practice area, but it doesn't get used nearly as much as the driving range. This suits me just fine.

On another note, our courses/ranges are still closed so I will be curious to see how my short game measures up when we are finally allowed to play golf again.

I practice in the back yard alot. Doesn't help for seeing the rollout but we get some really thick rough at our course so it works out working on distances from the thick stuff.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

"Like many players of his level, he had no concept whatsoever of how to hit a "slice" or "fade" with a short game shot."

...ok, so let's start there because I have never once thought of hitting a slice/fade around the green. And I can't recall any of the popular short game gurus all over IG these days talking about such.

You qualify your group struggling with "But short side them? Or a downhill lie bunker shot, perhaps? Or a bad lie with little green to work with? Or a chip from above the hole where the green runs away? Potential disaster lurks."

Wouldn't that be true of most golfers? Technique aside, maybe rule #1 they need to start with getting into their head is do not turn a worse case bogey into a double or triple, hit the shot that gives a reasonable look at par.

Point is well taken though, lots of mid handicappers struggling with what should be the easiest shots in the bag. Looking forward to more of your insights.

Sorry, should have qualified the "slice/fade" stuff.

Cut SPIN. The ball will not move left to right it will be spinning left to right

I fall into the category of a midcapper with a horrendous short game. I've been playing the game since I was teen a and I've never been a good chipper. Over the years I've bought a majority of the short game videos and watched a lot of the youtube gurus, had some in person lessons, but nothing has helped long term. At this point the problem is as much mental as it is technical. If I've got a clear path to the hole 10/10 I'll pull my putter because I'm not going to blade that over the green. There is an excellent short game facility in my area and I spend 4 or 5 hours a week their. I can perform very well on the practice area but under on-course pressure the scoops come out. Didn't realize it until recently.

During this time off, I've been taping some short pitches in the backyard and noticed that I have a tendency to scoop with the left wrist before impact. Even if I keep my right arm moving I can blade it with the best of 'em. I feel like no one talks much about the relationship between left wrist and club shaft and how important it is. If the angle between the left wrist and shaft increases then I'm guaranteed to use the leading edge and chunk it. If the club overtakes the left wrist in the downswing then I blade it every time. So for me, I have to feel 0 deviation between the left wrist and club shaft, like that wrist is frozen in it's address position, does nothing at all and stays flat.

Just some of my thoughts. Now that I'm am aware of my tendency I hope that I can lock into the correct feel for me. I Look forward to seeing the OP's videos. You can never have too much information.

• Like 1

FWIW, two things that really helped my short game. (1) Monte. His short game series is very good. And I go back to them whenever I start getting sloppy. Biggest takeaway is just how little movement you need to advance the ball, this is very, very key and relates to second thing.

(2) I practiced a lot a very basic chipping motion. Setup very important. Focus is on chest rotation, no wrist cock, short follow through, just your very vanilla go backswing to 7:30 max. Worked on it a lot with 60*, 52*, 8i, 6i, and hybrid. Center contact and learning where the ball lands with the different clubs and how it rolls out...level, uphill, and downhill. Then over time introduced a longer backswing with wrist movement. This is where the tour striker ball is very helpful. Nailing that small coil/turn and how to control speed has really helped. When you get this down you will learn just how much easier it is to control when you are not flicking at it with your hands.

If you cannot get the basic chip down, which is going to help you in many green side situations, then I do not know how you can get the 15-20 yard shots under control.

• Like 2

I'm a 12/13 on the opposite side of this. I'm consistent enough and long enough off the tee to score, but my approach game is terrible. My iron game is not even average. Putting is so-so. Around the green is the one thing that keeps me at 12-13. My combination of skills currently doesn't lend itself to many birdie chances. I make a lot of par and bogey saves (when things go really bad with an iron) Big number holes are almost always tide to penalty strokes if they happen. I'm more comfortable being short sided with a tree to flop over than 130 in the middle of the fairway. I suspect my putting is not quite as bad as I think it is when taking into account make percentages from various distances. When I have unusually good days where I hit 6/7 GIRs, I putt well typically. I've always had good hands/touch. I've always performed better with irons from recovery situations when flight manipulated is needed.

It's quite frustrating really. Average iron game would probably drop my number quite a few strokes. It would take a ton of pressure of the putter for sure.

• Like 1

People overestimate the importance of short game and also overestimate how good of a ball striker they are. Compare your stats to a PGA tour pros. They aren't saving a ton more pars than you if you're a 10.

Compare strokes gained around the green to strokes gained approaching the green or off tee and tell me which one you recognize more names. You want to be good at everything but there is a vast overemphasis on short game and its importance relative to the full swing.

Hard to know where to start - not really clear what was trying to be said.

A 10 will miss more greens than the "pro", when the 10 misses more greens the proximity to the hole will be also farther away than the "pro", the 10 is definitely going to get up and down fewer times (and btw getting up and down for bogey is often the issue for the 10 and much more so than the "pro"). If, as you say, and I'm not agreeing, just hypothesizing, the pro and the 10 save similar total numbers of pars per round there is still a big difference --- the am had far more opportunities to save pars and saved par a smaller % of the time. Saving shots around the greens in relative terms can allow the 10 to improve in a more significant way. The strokes gained by pros stuff really isn't what is being discussed or relevant. The thread doesn't suggest other elements of the game aren't important or that short game "rules" or anything like that. I'm sure someone could start a thread about mid caps improving iron play, or driving or whatever - great, but it's not this one.

Everybody is different and not all 10s are the same and not 6s are the same and that's already been conceded. It still depends on where the weaknesses are in your game. As I understand it, this thread starts with the assumption that the player has a short game that needs work (a little or a lot) and the correct assumption that if that is the case, learning better techniques or different shots will allow that player to improve his or her game - yep. Or, yikes, maybe just getting out there and practicing.

• Like 1

For the 10+ its more about avoiding double bogey than saving par. Missing the green with your chips or leaving you 20+ footers to save par is going to leave most being lucky to make bogey.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

This post is, on purpose, specifically about short game improvement. I know all of Broadie's stuff. It's important.

And some people's short games continue to plague them and they need help.

• Like 3

Totally agree. As basically a 7 also, the improvements I've made in short game definitely have me more confident in some situations with approach shots (lol, but sometimes a little reckless thinking my short game is better than it really is). Can it still be improved? Yes, absolutely, lots of room for improvement and I work on that, to the extent I work on anything, more than anything else.

I've gotten from a 12+ to where I'm at now by improving everything a little bit, but the biggest gains have been from better short game (plugging Monte because he's worked for me), smaller gains but significant gains also from finding the middle of the face more in general (thanks Monte again). But we all know journeys from 12+ to 7, for example, will involve different paths for individual players.

At the margin I still think more short game improvement and putting consistency could still get me to between 5 and 6 - but beyond that other things would have to improve (ballstriking off the tee, ballstriking through the bag for sure, and better wedge play from 40 - 100 yards - so other thread is very interesting to me) for me to ever approach a 2 or 3 handicap, and maybe my ceiling is such that won't happen no matter how hard I try, we all have limitations and should know them says Dirty Harry. One of my biggest limitations frankly is still what lurks between my ears.

Still going to try!

A vast overestimation of short game??? Pros literally wear out wedges multiple times per year from all the practice. When was the last time a 10 hcp wore out the grooves on a wedge?!?!? Other than possibly putting, there is not a single comparable stat of PGA tour vs a 10 hcp. Ridiculous. The worse PGA tour player does not even lose a full stroke to the field per round around the green. Can a 10 hcp say that? Totally different planet.

• Like 2

Exactly. And keep in mind we have very limited/no(?) ShotLink data for the average golfer. ShotLink and Broadie's stuff are both awesome. They both tell us tons about the pro game. But it absolutely does not account for -- in any way, shape or form -- the 12 capper who chunk/whiff/skulls 3 chips/pitches per round and takes 7 - 10 shots to get down when the skilled player averages 4 shots to get down from the same positions.

I'm not even interested in whether or not the average 12-capper loses more strokes off the tee or from the fairway or around the green. All I know is that too many of them throw away far too many strokes around the green due to a) a poor understanding of short game concepts; b) poor technique due to that same lack of understanding; and c) (often) an unwillingness to look really bad while attempting to master a new technique.

That third item ("c," above) is something I'm certain exists with many players (even if they won't readily admit it). It's one thing to be working on a new move with the full swing and you flail one away deep into the trees in an actual round of golf. It's another thing entirely to blade or double-hit a chip when you are only 15 feet from the hole. The perceived "downside" of making changes to one's shortgame is just too scary for many players -- especially when you get right down to it and you have to actually execute the shot when it matters. Even if shown the new technique and there's a beginning of understanding and mastery, many revert to a "safe" closed-face chip or pitch shot when the situation clearly does not call for it -- out of an unwillingness to look bad from so close to the hole.

I'm heading out late this afternoon to do some video. Looking forward to starting the discussion in earnest!

Yes!

And no. ;-)

I've definitely noticed what you've noticed. I've also noticed just the opposite -- that players who are first learning to open the face a considerable amount typically take too short of a backswing because they don't realize the basic concept that an open face requires more force/speed in order to propel the ball a similar distance as a shot with the face square or only slightly open.

It's actually both over and under valued depending on the context of ones game.

For pro's, they can't give away par at all unless they have done a. Tiger or Rory and lapped the field.

For ams, especially mid to higch caps where short game can be overvalued is that they are loosing more stokes before they can get to the green that they need to hit the range instead of the practice green. if you're not at the green in par minus one stroke 80% of the time and you can hit a driver 200 yards or more, your long game and iron work needs to be a focus.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Yep, "scary" is a good way to put it. I've got a friend who could, if he put in the time and effort, have a much better short game. He knows it, we never talk about it. But when he starts to try and hit little pitches a certain way - s____ks can creep in, or just bad contact and rather than work on what would be some relatively simple techniques, he's usually reverted to a ball almost behind his right foot, hands way ahead, closed face and almost casual shot (like if he doesn't really give the appearance of trying then the results are more acceptable) which doesn't give many realistic opportunities for getting up and down (and he doesn't practice that either, lol). It's almost a giving up crapshoot and from positions and lies from which that shot has little chance from the start, but it's something he does and he's not looking to work on his short game, but boy the potential is there to save a lot of strokes. Some are good at that, whatever works, but that's an example from my experience of someone playing what they think is "safe".

This mythical mid handicapper who somehow has good short game but cannot get it off the tee without breaking a window? Or chunks their way to laying 3 just off the green on a par 3? Unicorns are more common. Anyone with enough clubface control to get up/down a fair amount of times from any lie around the green is not taking too penalty shots. The only weakness I have ever witnessed when someone has great short game but shoots around 85 is distance. And that's from things like age, playing the wrong tee, playing the wrong club for their game...it's not swing.

About this concept of being scared to try the correct shot, interesting. Personally, I do not get it. After hitting countless blades and chunks and being the butt of jokes, after awhile you would think they would just be numb to it, and just try something else. What's the worse that can happen? Whatever it is, it has already happened...a lot. And if something worse happens, great, embrace it, it's a new story to tell.

Not sure what your point is here... :-)