2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G400 driver issues - big slices

bbarnard52

I purchased a G400 Max and was having lots of issues hitting it without a huge slice. I then purchased a G400 SFT. Better but still mostly a slice. I hit my Callaway Rogue irons pretty straight and older TM burner rescue 3&4s straight. Thus I don't think it is a swing issue. I previously used a TM R9 460 and can hit that reasonably straight but can't get the distance of the Pings. Am considering getting a Titleist T3. Would that be a better fit for me and if so, which shaft? Pings all have the stock Alta CB 55. Thanks!

I hate to put it like this, but if you are hitting a Ping G400 MAX off the planet, it's probably you.

I wouldn't buy a new club until you work with someone on your swing.

Most people will tell you the G400 MAX is one of the easiest to hit drivers on the market.

Sorry

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I understand your comment, however that is part of the reason that I indicated that I don't have that issue with any other club in my bag. Part of the reason I got the Max to start with is because of it being described as you did. I have been able to tame the SFT version somewhat by lining up the ball on the toe most turbulator mark, but even that gets a slice from time to time. I can immediately go back to the R9 and hit the ball more consistently straight but without the extra distance. Which again is why I don't think it is a swing issue.

If you can't hit the SFT straight or even with a slight fade, it's the swing not the club. I used the SFT for 10 years and never had a slice issue. I turned my Ping Max into an SFT by adding lead tape to the bottom at the heel. I can just swing away with that setup. I also use the Alta CB reg flex shaft.

Just read your response above. I'd double check your face alignment at set up. Maybe you are sitting the club on the ground and it's turning open before you even start the swing.

You don't have a problem with the other clubs in your bag because their all shorter. Could also be too flimsy of a shaft.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

People like the original OP are the reason why OEMs stay in business. They think they can buy a game and not putting the work in. It's sad really.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I'm not trying to buy a game, I'm asking for advice. If I wasn't able to hit the R9 straight most of the time, or my R9 3 wood or any of my other clubs, I'd 100% agree it is an issue. I have taken lessons (from the pro at the UF golf course and two other pros) and they didn't see big issues with my swing. I'm also not ruling more work on that out, I just find it peculiar that this one particular brand/make gives me consistent issues that I don't see with any other club in my bag.

I remember when I bought my first modernish driver about 25 years ago. Was hitting my other clubs straight but sliced the new driver about 60 yards right. Another guy at the range was hitting bombs with his driver so I asked him to hit mine to see it was me or the club. He hit a bomb with my club and handed it back to me.

It ain't the club.

Man, I don't have any advice then. There's not a easier or straighter driver than the G400 on the planet.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

The only way the club has any role here in your 'nanner slice is because Ping heads are notoriously heavy compared to older TM and Callaway models. So theoretically, if you used to play a 44.75'' old school TM driver from back in the day, where the head was 190g, and moved to a 45.5'' modern Ping head that's 204g... things are going to get weird on you possible. You're more likely to get the club stuck behind you, and more likely to leave the face open.

BUT, that really shouldn't have you going from straight balls to "huge slices". I'm going to wager 999/1000 times, a huge slice is user error and has little cause from the equipment used. What I described above could take you from a drawer of the ball to an uncontrollable fade or poor contact. Not ripping balls off the map.

It’s 100% your swing. Irons and hybrids can be hit with a steep, outside in path and still go relatively straight thanks to loft, spin, slower swing speed, etc.. You can’t swing driver like that and get away with it.

G400 Max is the straightest driver on the market, unless of course yours is a knockoff. That being said, do you really think a club is the reason for your ball curving severely right? It’s a chunk of metal with the face pointed perpendicular to the target line. You think you can put a good swing on a club, square face, square path, center contact, and your ball will just suddenly curve way right?

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

A new club is not going to help you unless it is an alignment issue due to how you see the club, and the new club somehow fits your eye better.

If you do not rest the club on the ground, and are instead "hovering" then it could be that your eyes are playing tricks on you and you are starting with the face open relative to your stance because that is how you visualize with that club.. It is also possible that the lightweight shaft in your PING has changed your takeaway and swing-path(outside-to-in). If you are doing a combination of both of these, then that is a recipe for a major slice.

Already I can see you have a flawed swing. You have the face closed at address to accommodate your over the top swing (which I think you have) so it can go straight (ish). It's not the club, it's you.

Don't feel bad. I'd had my share of slices too....15 years ago...

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

You hit the older TM R9 460 better because that club is heavily draw-biased. You hit the regular 400 SFT better because that club also is heavily draw-biased as well. You slice your 400 Max off the planet because it’s a larger footprint and the shaft is probably lighter and whippier so the face is wide open. It’s also not so draw biased as your two other drivers.

Now you want to buy a Titty TS3 which I guarantee you, you will slice it just like the 400 Max. If you go Titty you should look at the TS 1 with custom shaft or TS2.

Its not the clubs, it’s the swing. That being said don’t take it as a negative. Past history has shown you hit draw-biased drivers very well. Other drivers to consider are the Cobra F8, Speedzone Extreme, Ping G25.

Go over to the instruction forum and post a driver swing video and ask them to diagnose what is going on for you.

• Like 2

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

So...yes, it could be swing, but it could also be shaft. Do you have an aggressive transition with driver OP?

I had a huge slice problem with the Alta shaft in the G400 (I went with the SFT 12 degree). Tried it with several different clubs and fitters, same result and the R shaft felt sooooo soft to me. Quicker transition swing and that sucker just opened up. I'm a senior not a fast swing (I'm talking 80 on a good day) but again it can be a shorter swing with faster transition. I can push at times but generally I play a draw. On each occasion I had my G25 with stock Ping R shaft and the G400 was noticeably shorter usually a slice and often low right.

After about three swings with the stock Alta a Ping fitter looked at other options and was using a monitor on an outside range. It was a toss between the Tour 65 Reg (that I've had before) or the Kuro Kage Tini 60 Reg. I got the KK in the driver and SFT 3 wood. I think he said I picked up 3 mph right away with the firmer shafts over the Alta too.

Didn't really need the SFT version. Had a few extra bucks and decided to go with the regular G410 this year and the red Alta 55 CB feels a lot better to me. Also added the 5 and 7 wood, generally a little draw even with the fairways opened to small minus.

I have a Ping K15 that you will love. Lets trade for that slice machine of a 400 max.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

It could be what you say. It is exacerbated when I bring the club through more aggressively.

I am similar to you in that I'm older and don't have a high swing speed.

I also found that I was tending to contact the ball towards the heel. That's why I have started setting up with the ball out near the toe (last turbulator). That has helped push contact more to the center of the club. If I do that and use a slow takeaway with a bit less aggressive downswing, then the results tend to be better (straight or a slight fade). If I try and cook it more, then the banana tends to come out.

I think that part of the issue on contact zone coming from the R9 is because the R9 tends to be thicker top to bottom while the Ping is longer heel to toe.

I couldn’t hit my G400 driver with a stock stiff shaft well at all. I did a fitting at club champion, and the fitter wouldn’t even try another head. He said the g400 was so good it couldn’t be improved on. After the fitting, he concluded I was optimized to the correct shaft to begin with. On a whim I tried the epic flash with stock stiff shaft and had instant improvement in results (accuracy, consistency, direction). 6 months later, it continues to be better for me than the g400.

Although the quality of the swing matters the most, I do believe there are individual variations in what equipment works best for an individual.

So one thing to think about is that if you play with a very open face (which I do as a mid-handicap slicer) I think there is something to the fact that the higher MOI can be more difficult to close. I know my fitter loves the Ping product going back to the G25 but its never worked for my swing. We've worked into smaller clubheads 913 D3 and now the z785 as they are easier for me to square. Again, i'm a 11-14 HC (probably closer to 14 right now considering the lock down) but that has been my experience. I actually bought a G400 Max off the forum, kept hitting it right, sold it to a friend who is a better player and he absolutely loves it. Best he's ever hit a driver. I'm better with my z785. Something to think about.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

It's your swing......Probably trying to kill it.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Edit* Just read same shafts in each head.

The G400 MAX head itself is one of the most notoriously easy to hit straight drivers to come out in 10 years.

The G400 Max comes in either 9.00 or 10.5 loft. The SFT comes in 10 or 12. Loft makes a huge difference as well. Standard D1 SW on the SFT and D3 on the 400 MAX, what setting are you playing each one in?

I point this out as there could be something there that is causing your swing with the 400 MAX to be off. The 400 MAX is fine, and if you can't hit it on the planet it is either......

Your swing - other clubs hide the issues as stated above.Your swing - caused by the specs of the driver.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

This. I will add the Cleveland HB Turbo Draw model is a good choice also. Trust me, I know (a guy)!

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Yes same stock Alta CB 55 in each (in fact switched heads on same shaft just to see if there was an issue due to one shaft).

SFT is 10*, Max is 10.5. Both currently set to the large zero (stock) setting. I did try the Max all the way down at the large negative setting to see it that killed spin any. It made a very little difference.

For comparison sake, the R9 is 10.5 set to the Neutral Upright position.