GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

2020 Ben Hogan Icon blades

RobotDoctor ·  
RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior HackerClubWRX  5565WRX Points: 1,199Posts: 5,565 ClubWRX

With the release of the Icon blades and that they are being delivered now, it seemed appropriate to launch a topic in the Equipment board.

I received my Icon blades today (4-PW, nickel plated). These have KBS Tour V stiff shafts at standard L/L/L. I would have preferred Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts but will give these a try to see how they feel and how they perform. I can always reshaft at a later date. Now to go to the only range in the area I know is open the next few days and see how they perform. I will post additional pictures later.

Posted:
TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

Comments

• OaksOaks Member of #TeamJetSpeed Ocean StateClubWRX  2449WRX Points: 161Posts: 2,449 ClubWRX

I’m really starting to consider these or the Combo set. Back to the Heritage!

Posted:
    M1 440 9.5* - ACCRA TZP Proto 265 M5      X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X     JetSpeed 19* w Matrix Hm95X 
    MP-63 3-PW - Project X 6.0      RTX4  54.10 & 60.09 - DG TI S400     Toulon Portland    Titleist  2016 Ultralight
    #TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfSwangGolfSwang Members  44WRX Points: 45Posts: 44 Bunkers

Beautiful.

Any chance you can post a closeup picture from address with a ball please? Seen a few pics from address floating around, but none with a ball yet. Would like to get a sense of the blade length. Thanks!

Posted:
  • jaroscakjjaroscakj Members  3WRX Points: 69Posts: 3 Starters

I currently play the Apex 50. The backs of the icon remind me of the 50’s. Are the called clamshell?

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5565WRX Points: 1,199Posts: 5,565 ClubWRX

Not sure if they're called a clamshell or not. I thought of the Apex 50 when I first saw these. I love the blade on blade design feature. My current gamers are the '99 Apex blades so I'm really looking forward to hitting these.

Posted:

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3059WRX Points: 513Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,059 ClubWRX

Address photos with ball are much appreciated. Beautiful clubs. Congrats. To me in photos they don’t look as small behind the ball as the Ft Worth, they appear to be a touch more generous in face size, a big plus in my book. I like the Icon’s look a whole lot more. Will be interested in your early feedback on how they perform.

One advantage for me is I prefer the KBS Tour-V over the Modus 120. Both great shafts and Modus is always a contender when I try clubs. But Tour-V stiff for me is like a cross between the Tour and C Taper. I feel like it delivers a punch, gives me the more penetrating flight, especially for a 110g shaft. i’m curious how they do for you with the Icon.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip

Advertisement
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5565WRX Points: 1,199Posts: 5,565 ClubWRX

I will definitely give the Tour V 110 stiff shafts a through test. If they work well then why reshaft? The Icons have a 4 degree separation between irons (3 iron = 22*, PW = 46*). I am going to go with a 50* GW (as opposed to my normal 52*), 54* SW and my normal 58* LW. If the Tour V 110 stiff shafts worn out then I reshaft the wedges with it.

Posted:

• cg0rd0noo7cg0rd0noo7 Members  13WRX Points: 14Posts: 13 Bunkers

I am super excited for mine to come. When did you order?

Posted:

March 18th. They shut down operations shortly after that. Resumed 2 weeks ago.

Posted:

Thanks. I ordered mine the day they opened back up so hopefully they come in a few weeks.

Posted:

It should take about 2-3 weeks. Should be soon!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members  2148WRX Points: 210Posts: 2,148 Platinum Tees

I called today and asked about delivery time and he said mid to end of June.

I really like the ICON but will probably go with a combo set. Wish they has some flexibility in the irons on the set but i understand why.

Posted:
  • ldh692002ldh692002 Members  468WRX Points: 70Posts: 468 Greens

please post a review when you’re able to hit them!!

Posted:
    Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
    Ping Rapture D.I. 18
    Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
    Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
    Ping Anser TR 5
  • GolfSwangGolfSwang Members  44WRX Points: 45Posts: 44 Bunkers

Thanks so much! Blade length not as intimidating as I initially assumed, which is a good thing. Pretty much exactly what I want to see.

I'm curious how these compare forgiveness wise to other blades on the market (with their blade-on-blade design).

Posted:
  • mBiden2mBiden2 #15 and counting..... Atlanta, GAMembers  1111WRX Points: 280Handicap: 10.2Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees

Man they look great. I’ve really been thinking about order them with the x100s soft stepped and if that doesn’t work I’ll just switch to PX LZ 6.5s that I know work. So all new orders won’t ship until June?

Posted:
    WITB

Driver - TM SIM Max 10.5 (Aldila Rogue 130 White 70TX)
    3W - TM SIM 15* (Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70TX)
    UDI - ***under construction***
    Irons - ***under construction***
    Wedges - ***under construction***
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34”
  • TommyjTommyj Members  703WRX Points: 251Posts: 703 Golden Tee

Look great, are these 1025 carbon steel, they don't give any details on the Hogan website. I assume they are since they use 1025 for the PTX Pros.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bullie76bullie76 Members  2301WRX Points: 239Handicap: 9Posts: 2,301 Platinum Tees

Purdy. Wish I was young enough to play an iron like these. But at my age I play geezer golf and need all the help I can get. My first good set was in the late 60's and it was an Hogan Apex set.

Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver & 3,5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4-6 hybrids reg
    Cobra SL f9 7-gap
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52*
    Cobra King Black  56*
    Seemore rst2 si4 putter
    Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member Members  1026WRX Points: 146Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees

bullie76 - you can play these in a combo set for sure. Maybe go PTx in 5-7 and Icon in 8-PW. Throw some Mitsubishi OT or Fujikura MCI shafts in there while you're at it.

Golf is a fun hobby, play what you want.

Posted:
  • stingerfadestingerfade Members  668WRX Points: 460Posts: 668 Golden Tee

Have the equalizer wedges. Really great clubs

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3059WRX Points: 513Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,059 ClubWRX

The combo sets are very appealing. Never say never on a full Icon set, I guess, but I’d be reluctant to pass up the pop and easy launch in the PTx Pro long irons. The Icon scoring irons would be fun to play and the two heads fit so well together. Will be great to finally see reviews from the players getting them right now.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip
  • jah7838jah7838 Members  1323WRX Points: 228Posts: 1,323 Platinum Tees

I have the PTx Pros that I won here last year. The Icons look phenomenal. I would love to have a blended set of the Icons with the PTx Pros just on looks alone. Looking forward to reading some reviews on them. I might have to get a combo set down the road!

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Aldila Tour Green 65s or Evenflow White t1100 65s 
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood set to 15* with Aldila 2kxv Blue 7s or Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Proforce V2 7f4
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s or 20* Adams Super Pro with AD DI 95s , 23* Adams Super 9031 S300 (swap with 4 iron on occasion, but the hybrid is usually in the bag)
    Irons: 4 (DG Pro s300), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, and New Level Golf 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Advertisement

I just received an email from The Ben Hogan company confirming these are indeed forged from 1025 carbon steel.

Posted:

Just a heads up on delivery time for people making orders. I placed my order at the beginning of may and when I asked today about timing was told that they should ship beginning to mid June.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 88scooby88scooby Members  1WRX Points: 46Posts: 1 Starters

Great thread- I was calling to order the blended set last week, but they were not able to start the blades at the seven iron. I even asked it I could just buy an additional seven icon iron and they could not do that. I am not sure what happens if you loose a club. I guess they are starting on a shoe string, but one would think they could afford twenty or thirty seven and six iron Icons heads to set their blended sets up for different players setups. Its such a small price and minimal effort for great marketing by having better players at different golf clubs playing their products. I am bummed, probably going with blended srixon or mizunos this year. Was so looking forward to the throw back modern Hogan blended setup. Trying not to sounds like a complainer grumpster just cant play the hollow 7i. Not giving up on them at all, will try back next year. Hopefully by then they will have scaled and will be able to provide more custom options.

Posted:
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Hoschton, GAMembers, ClubWRX  1536WRX Points: 310Posts: 1,536 ClubWRX

This thread and the one on Tour/PreRelease has me so close to ordering the combo set.

Posted:
  • Joe SJoe S Members  137WRX Points: 105Posts: 137 Fairways

Nice photo's. It looks like the top line is about the same thickness, is that the case when you look at them in person? I felt like the top line was way to thick on the Ft Worth's and TK Wedges. I'm playing the 99's now and I love them. I'll be really interested in how they compare on the course.

Posted:

Advertisement

I put my new Icon irons in the bag today for my round at my home course. First iron shot today was a 5 iron layup in the first hole. The shot was well struck and the feel and trajectory was terrific. Overall the results were mixed. My '99 Apex from 6 iron through wedge is bent to the same lofts as the icons. I sacrifice a little bounce to do so but not much. The distances of the 4 iron (at 22 degrees) matches or might just exceed my 3 iron ('99 Apex- 21 degree loft). That could be a result of being pumped up hitting the 4 iron shots during the round. The 5 iron is close to my '99 Apex 4 iron but longer than the 5 iron. I can see a period of getting used to the new lofts. The feel of the irons are just as solid in iron shots struck center to slightly hosel side of center and the lower 1/3 of the face. I could feel shots on the toe side and recognize where I had struck the shot. The loss of distance on shots not struck in the sweet spot is pretty much the same as my '99 Apex. The shot trajectory was a bit better with the Icons. I like the bounce of the irons and found myself not taking as big of a divot as I do with my '99 Apex irons. (Go figure since I removed a couple degrees or more of bounce by bending the lofts stronger). I believe these irons will produce results that I have come to expect with a Ben Hogan iron.

Now for the negatives: I don't care for the grips at all. I have come to the conclusion that KBS Tour V 110 stiff shafts are not for me. I couldn't get used to the feel of the Icons because the shafts. I can see a set of Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts being ordered and soon. Then I will install the BestGrips Augusta MicroPerf grip. I will review the irons again after that is done.

Conclusion: These irons do require consistent ball striking to produce good shots. However they allow for some not quite perfect strikes to get decent results. Keep in mind there will be a distance loss the worse a shot is struck (like with any blade). I believe a mid handicap golfer (10-12) can still play these irons and hit some terrific shots and enjoy the feel. Those who have terrific ball stricking ability will like this iron.

As for me, I believe once I reshaft/regrip these will become very dependable irons with tremendous feel. The lack of a 3 iron and going to 4 degree loft separation on long irons will take a bit of getting used to. This allows a fourth wedge to go in the bag which I will use a lot more than another long iron or hybrid. Having designed amount of bounce will stop my tendency to dig and might eliminate some slightly chubby (not quite fat but not flush) shots I produce from time to time.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.