2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hey Strokes Gained guys... driver vs putter

What's Broadie's take on the fact that its common to miss driver and still get birdy, it happens all the time, but if you hit a wide putt you're never getting birdy. You got less room for error with putter vs driver...

When I hear Broadie gurus say putter might not be as important as you think it always makes me cringe lol...

As I agreed with Nancy Lopez when I heard her say golf is putting and the rest is details...

edit: When I say miss driver I dont mean OB but that it does not have to have pin point accuracy like the putter does. You can miss driver and still be in fairway or close to it where as putting doesn't have that luxury...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

From what distance are you missing your putt wide? And how bad are you missing driver?

Lots of people miss putts wide and still make birdie. They are called eagle putts, and are common amongst the best drivers of the golf ball.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

On the other hand, I've absolutely never hit a putter into a penalty area, into the woods, or OB. Those are places where a miss is TWO strokes lost, not just one. And I don't know about you, if I mishit my driver, if I'm 20 yards further from the hole, and in the rough instead of the fairway, my birdie chances go way down. I don't think its a "fact" that many players commonly make birdies after poor drives. Obviously each of us has different strengths and weaknesses, and Strokes Gained statistics can be a great tool to help diagnose them.

One of the more difficult concepts for me to understand in Stokes Gained is the "partial shot." A putt has a binary outcome, make or miss. If I miss from 8 feet, I lose 0.5 shots in SG, but I've lost 1 shot as compared to making that putt. Over enough repetitions, you start to see percentages, and that's what Strokes Gained is attempting to quantify. Similarly, if I'm 20 yards closer to the hole after my tee shot, I may gain 0.13 strokes or something like that in SG. Over a full round of golf, that could mean 1 stroke, or even 2.

150 yards out in the fairway has a 2.95 stroke expectancy. 150 out in the rough has a 3.19 expectancy. That's a difference of 0.24, the same equivalent as having a 10 foot putt (1.61) vs. 19 foot putt (1.85).

Compare 150 yards from the rough (3.19) to 150 yards from the trees (3.80), and that's a difference of 0.61, the same equivalent as having a 10 foot putt (1.61) vs. a 60 foot putt (2.21).

Compare 150 yards from the fairway (2.95) to 150 from the trees (3.80), and that's a difference of 0.85, the same equivalent as having a 10 foot putt (1.61) vs. a 100 foot putt (2.46).

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

SG is all about using real data to determine how many strokes it takes to get in the hole on average, from where you are standing, such that you have realistic expectations of the outcome and identify your weak areas such that you can formulate an effective practice plan. A birdie after a bad drive while possible, isn't really common (esp on a par 4), but with the SG method you can put a number on it. And a "miss" with driver is subjective, with SG you have to define the magnitude of the miss and how long you have left into the hole. You can rack up many penalties with the driver, nearly impossible with the putter.

As for putting, you can't look at that one instance of miss/make, you need to look at the averages. The biggest take away from the book when it comes to putting, is many amateurs simply have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the flat stick. Even for a scratch golfer, basically anything outside of 8ft you are going to make less than half, anything outside of 20ft you are going to make no more than 1 in 5, and anything outside of 30ft you are more likely to 3 putt than 2 putt. So you can't really just look at a make/miss, you really need to factor in the length of the putt. Basically extensive practice in the 10-25ft range isn't productive because even the best putters in the world are more likely to miss than make in that range.

So for many ams, if they are hitting a lot of greens while having very few birdies, it's easy to think OK my putting stinks, that is where pros differentiate themselves. When in reality it's not that they are far better putters, statistically speaking the smallest gap between pros and scratch golfers is with the putter. Pros just give themselves much more make-able birdie looks per round. The guy who makes 100ft+ of putts in a round one day is a statistical outlier. If you are an amateur looking to improve, it's better to play to the averages than the extremes

So that is were this notion that putting isn't as important as many think comes into play. It's not that it's not important at all, it's that its the area where many will see diminishing returns. You could spend 50%+ of your time practicing putting, but statistically speaking most ams will see the least benefit from this in terms of overall scoring average reduction. Unless they are in fact a horrendous putter, which the SG data will clearly show, in that case then the player should simply practice putting more.

But alas, this thread will break down into two camps. Those who have read the book and those who have not. Reading it for yourself will be much more productive than trying to get someone to convince you otherwise.

• Like 1

Worse than scratch Am's need to focus more on preventing LOSING strokes.

Working on putting is great when your happy with your current handicap and your playing the same guys all the time. To make dramatic gains in your scoring, you've gotta work on the longer game. It's why I always preach the law of diminishing returns if you want to go from double digits to mid singles index.

For guys that have any kind of length to turn any course under 6600 yards into a driver wedge course, make your driver a reliable weapon not liability. Then some work in wedges and bits easy to get to the single digits.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Folks on here have covered it well, and if people still don’t understand it then they are just not wanting to understand it. Two more simplified things to add.

Strokes gained doesn’t hate a drive in the rough, as long as you aren’t blocked out and the lie is decent. But it does hate OB, or in brutal rough, or behind trees. You aren’t making birdie from there... So your example is somewhat proving the point of strokes gained. A long enough drive in light rough, such that an easy approach shot is left, is not a bad outcome.

Second, and this is the point that all of the “putt for dough” guys seem unable to comprehend. Compare the make percentages of a 25 foot putt for a 15 handicap vs a tour pro. Yes, the tour pro is better. But not by all that much. And nobody, not even tour pros, makes many 25 footers. I don’t remember the percentage, but it is something less than 20. So tour pros maybe make 1 in 5 25 footers, whereas you and I make 1 in 7 let’s say. AND, count up the number of strokes that occur in any given round off the tee vs at 25 feet. 14 off the tee, vs 1 or 2 at 25 feet. So the fractional strokes gained by making a 25 footer are great, except it only happens once or twice a round, whereas fractional gains off the tee happen 14 times a round (and vice versa, missing a 25 footer costs me very little in the grand scheme of things). Broadie does argue that putting is important inside 4-7 feet. Two things happen in that range. One, tour pros expect to make a majority of those putts (amateurs don’t). And, we all take a decent amount of 4-7 footers in any given round...say 6 or 7. So if a tour pro makes 6 of 7 from that range, and I make 4 of 7...then yes, that costs me upwards of 2 strokes (and oh by the way, so does one drive that goes OB).

Here's the thing about Mark Broadie; he just presents data. The fact that a lot of people don't like the data doesn't change the data one iota.

Broadie never said that putting isn't important, or anything of the sort. What he shows is that at EVERY level of golf, the biggest (not the only!) separator is proximity of approach, because the putting data shows that nobody in the world is making a lot of 30' putts on a regular basis. Because proximity of approach is, in large part, based on what club you are hitting into the green, driving distance has a higher correlation to success than putting does; that's just a fact, and it's a fact at every level of golf. (It's also critical to note that Broadie has refined his SG data to differentiate between a drive that misses the fairway by a few yards and a drive that is in the woods.)

Being a good putter is primarily about three putt avoidance; it's routine for a Tour pro to play an entire tournament without three putting, while most of us rarely go a round without a three jack. While it's true that the guy who wins a Tour event might well have been the guy that putted the best THAT WEEK, just like the guy who won the Saturday morning skins game at your club, week in and week out, there are other things that correlate to scoring more than putting does. Again, that's just data and math, whether you like it or not. A quick look at the Tour money list side by side with the SG driving list vs the SG putting list will quickly confirm that.

Here's a stat for you to consider: The Tour record for the most consecutive holes without a three putt is 542, by Freddie Jacobsen in 2015, which is just over THIRTY rounds. At the time, Jacobsen was 3rd on Tour in SG putting. Guess how many tournaments he won during that stretch?

• Like 1

PGA tour players make like 75-80% 5 FT putts. I think this is the main difference.

Depending on what you want to look at - I'd say most Average Joe golfers are closer to 50%.

Someone said PGA tour player is average 1.6 from 10FT. That means they make 4 out of 10. Most Average Joe's are probably closer to 1 out 10.

PGA tour players are way better than us at putting. The same kind of better they are at driving, chipping, approach, etc.

You can't take #'s from the PGA tour and compare them to regular amateurs like us. It's like taking stats from the NBA and trying to apply it to the WNBA. Same sport, different strategies, different game.

I think bottom line is this - a lot of golfers, especially at 10+ handicap - miss a lot of 5 Foot or less putts. As well as probably 3 putt at least 3-4 times a round. That's going to equal around 6-8+ strokes a round. My opinion is that it's easier to get someone to be better at making 5 Foot or Less Putts, than it is to drive the ball 240+ yards straight and consistently. Especially considering the average golfer doesn't practice too much.

Each player is unique - so one size does not fit all. But I would say statistically speaking (more golfers at 10+ than under) - would be better off working on putting than driving.

Well said. The people claiming that you can save more strokes by working on full swing are correct, but so are you given that 90% of adult amateurs will never meaningfully improve their swing.

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

I get the part about people never wanting or don't seemingly have the mental ability to fix their swing. However, if you never put yourself into position to take advantage of that putting improvement, did you really gain anything?

Which also begs the question, if you can work on your putting that much to gain 5 strokes on the greens, why couldn't they put that work into the longer game?

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

2010 strokes gained baseline. Probably still fairly accurate for today. Goes out to 100 feet but unfortunately the tour doesn't make this available on their site any longer - had to snap it from googled article that contained it.

5O0TXQY3TBRS.png 

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Did you gain anything? Absolutely. If you take your average 15 handicap who 3-putts five times a round and have him work on putting, even with minimal instruction, he might actually meaningfully improve his scores. Now take that same guy and try to fix his full swing; it could take years and have minimal impact, unless he has a good teacher, is committed to the process, and has some natural ability. I'm not saying don't try (I'm doing so right now), just pointing out that practically, for some people, it absolutely makes sense to focus on putting if the goal is actually lowering scores.

It really shouldn't take years to improve your swing if you're really serious about it. We're not talked ng about how to be able to work the ball both ways and hit every height window on command and your caddy is giving you yardages to the half yard.

Just getting to singles means making somewhat consistent contact with a predictable ball flight.

I just want people to be able to go from tee shot, to approach, to chip if they miss the green. Having to repeat either of those phases are round and moral killers. Then two putt at worst on the green.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The data broadie gathered doesn't suggest your last statement to be true (for most golfers). But the entire point of the method is to use and gather the data to find out for yourself, instead of basing your time and efforts on assumptions, because it indeed isn't one size fits all.

Let's put pros aside, let's look at scratch vs 90 shooter. From 10ft a scratch golfer makes 3/9, while a 90 shooter makes 2/10, from 5ft its 2/3 vs 1/2. So yes there is a difference, but the larger difference is in what those putts are for. A scratch golfer vs a 90 golfer may see an average of ~3 putts per round difference, but a big part of that delta is simply having a shorter first putt for any given hole. So the actual putting skill difference isn't as large as it seems once you factor in proximity. Unless you are the 90 shooter routinely putting up 36-40+ putts per round, then there is serious room for improvement.

But you are right, the SG data suggests there can be big improvements by focusing on putting in the 5-10ft range (along with avoiding 3 putts in the 20-30ft range). I personally saw the biggest improvement in this area, but a big part of this was working exclusively on start line and roll consistency. Those folks generally aren't interested in improving, period.

The greatest (extreme sarcasm font) argument ever made to me on this subject.

”Who cares if you drive it 300 in the middle of every fairway if you 3 and 4 putt every hole? I’ll take 220 and 1 putts every day.”

I responded, “Who cares if you 1 putt every hole if you hit it OB off every tee?”

He responded...and you can’t make this up.....”Well, if you exaggerate the scenario, you can make any point work.”

Changing the core beliefs of people, if they don’t want to change, is impossible. I had a 25 handicap at a golf school, berate me for not understanding that keep your head down was an important fundamental, in shots around the greens, to avoid blading the ball. He was all over me when I was helping someone else who was sculling it BECAUSE they were keeping their head down.

I asked him who the 3 best short gamers were. He said Tiger, Sticker and someone else who escapes me. I brought up all 3 on video and showed their head and chest moving up immediately to start the downswing.

”They’re pros, they can get away with it.”

There is no debating an expert who doesn’t want to learn.

The real answer is try and improve everything a little at a time.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4-8 foot putting would be a biggie for me. I wouldn't expect to match the pros, but yes, agree that the differences aren't as great with putting which suggest improvement may be more attainable if I'm not currently close to what the best players average for makes from those distances. Now, am I likely to get more 4-8 foot birdie looks other than on par 5s no matter how hard I practice my 150 yard game (and I care about improving)? Nope. But would sure help me save pars when I'm getting up and down and make more birdies on par 5s, for example.

Footnote: I assume if my proximity on approach shots did improve a little, that being better on 4-8 footers would mean better on longer putts as well, but at the margin, those aren't going to gain me much, IMO.

You're looking at it from small sample size (one particular shot). Add up all of the shots and then you get a more accurate depiction between the impact that driving has on score versus putting. This is particularly true when analyzing the difference in handicap levels.

For instance, Tour players may get on to a course and hit 5 drives that are 300+ yards and split the fairway. Average scratch golfer may accomplish that 1-2 times in a round. A 5 handicap may accomplish that on a course 1-2 times a month. And a 10 handicap might accomplish that 1-2 times a year.

Now, let's compare that to putting. Obviously, the Tour pros are likely to be better putters over time than the higher handicaps. But there will plenty of rounds where the 10 handicap can out-perform the Tour pro on the same putting green. In fact, Tony Romo, a good amateur, had one of the highest strokes gained putting in the first round of last year's Byron Nelson.

It's just much harder for the average human to hit the ball with distance and control with the driver than it is for them to hit the ball with a putter and sink putts.

Furthermore, if you miss any putt you will not make the score that the putt is for. If you miss a birdie putt wide, you don't make birdie. The same with par putts or bogey putts. The difference is that if you struck the ball well enough from tee-to-green that makes it so you are putting for eagle or birdie or par and so on.

RH

@Krt22 - I understand. I'm just stating my opinion on it. I don't count on whatever data he is using for amateurs.
I'm a +2.2 and play with all levels of golfers. I think it's night and day. My buddies that shoot in the 90's - miss more than his statistics. They don't make 20% of 10 foot putts. And they 3 putt at least 3-4 times a round from a variety of ranges. But yes they also chunk shots, top shots, blade wedges, hit out of the trees, etc.
In my own experience and what I've seen out of the average golfer. They miss way too many at 5 feet or less.
And don't get me started on gimmes. With the exception of a few sand baggers - I see a lot of higher handicap players struggle in competition and almost always a big contributor to that is missing at 5FT or less. Because a lot of amateurs take gimmes at 2+FT.
And I honestly think that's a lot of it too. Many recreational golfers are pretty loose on the gimme range. To each his own. I have no issues with that at all. Because when there is $ on the line, there are no gimmes. But I think it's skewed like that because they are avoiding a lot more 3 putts, if they don't putt everything out. However I'm taking this a whole different direction now.
Bottom Line - Amateurs would save strokes improving any part of their game. I think it's easier to fix the 5FT or less range in putting, than any major swing change.

I feel for Mark Broadie, I really do. I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody have their work so consistently and completely misunderstood and misinterpreted. And usually, the arguments against what Broadie's research shows are either extreme hypotheticals, or "I know a guy..." case studies. And neither of those constitute research, which is what Broadie does.

Broadie is primarily DESCRIBING, not PRESCRIBING. If you know a guy who three putts five times a round from inside 30 ft., then I don't think Mark Broadie or anybody else on the planet would disagree that he should work harder on his putting. But for every guy like that, there's a guy who loses 4 or 5 balls a round OB or in the water or in the woods, and for him, it almost doesn't matter how well he does or doesn't putt; he's dead before he ever gets to the green. There are endless variations to individuals; guys that can't get out of bunkers, guys with chip yips, and on and on and on. ALL of those are case studies, and NONE of those are research.

And the research shows that, on a macro level, the biggest separator between better and lesser players is NOT putting; it just isn't. Part of the reason that it isn't is exactly what so many argue; that putting is the easiest skill to improve, so people do that! And part of the reason is that NOBODY, even at Tour levels, is making a ton of long putts on a consistent basis. The gap between how well a Tour player does everything compared to an "average" amateur is huge, but the gap is smaller in putting than in most other categories.

Here's a key Broadie finding: On Tour, putting accounts for 15% of the difference between the top forty golfers and the rest of the field; 85% of the difference comes from shots off the green. And guess what? Broadie's research also shows that for a group of golfers who average 80 vs. a group of golfers who average 100, exactly the same ratio holds true; 15% of the 10 stroke difference is putting, and 85% of the difference comes from off the green. That's research, and it's not prescriptive for you or the guys in your group should do. But it's reality.

No doubt he can improve his game to some degree by getting better at putting. Everyone can. But statistically a 15 capper's putting performance is much closer to that of a scratch player (or even tour player) than is any other aspect of his game. Pareto the gaps and putting was on down the "bang for the buck" scale. On the other hand putting is easy to practice on your own and barring a terrible technical flaw you can get better on your own just by doing it and improving feel. Chipping to an extent as well but with the caveat added that it is more technical in nature.

Broadie's work is a great foundation. But he doesn't really delve deep into how to use it to make you a better player. It does show you where but is not (in my estimation) a good road map for how to use that knowledge in a "golf-practical" sense to reduce scores. Pick up Lowest Score Wins and that really helps you apply it as a practice plan (roadmap) and as an in-round game plan.

I agree with you. In general, while there ARE outliers, a 15-handicap will get into single digits by improving swing flaws, not their putting.

Data is data. Applying it is a different story. Would someone post better scores if they could drive the ball 20 yards further? Sure. No argument there. The data backs it up.

The question is can said person drive the ball 20 yards further? Well I am guessing they have been trying to do that at every range session their entire life and it hasnt worked out for them. So the question becomes, how can I save strokes? And you look at every facet of the game and try to save some here and some there. Increase your up and down percentage. Work on putting. Keep the driver in play more. Take gains were gains are to be had.

Here's some data. One of the groups with the longest life expectancy in the US is the Seventh-day Adventist is California. The data from multiple studies has males leaving over 7 years longer than the average male in the US. So if you want to live longer, the data says living with this group and adopting their lifestyle emphasizing a vegetarian diet, with no alcohol and smoking, and routine exercise is the best thing you can do. Well you want to live longer right? Than move, change your church, change your lifestyle. The data backs it up. Or, you take note and make small improvement where you can.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

@Krt22 No I didn't read the book. Or even the whole thread. So I apologize if I missed something there or if you feel I'm unfairly discussing this. @bluedot - I actually wrote up a long paragraph about how around 35-40% of the score of player shooting 100 is for putting. And that means they are looking at around 18% for Drivers, 20-25% for chipping and 20-25% for shots. But after looking at it, I would have to say that Broadie's approach would on average get the bigger score reduction.
If we were able to increase a players putting from 50% to 75% from 5 Feet and In. It would probably save you 3-4 strokes a round at least. But if you took a 25% increase in production to the other 60-65% of the game, then that would be more strokes than that saved.
I think it's difficult to just look at numbers and make conclusions in this game. But I will say, it's not as simple as I originally stated. I can definitely see the Broadie perspective. Mathematically speaking it's logical. I'm still on the fence though if it's more practical / efficient to save 3-4 strokes on putting or 3-4 strokes on either driving, shots or chipping when talking about a golfer shooting in the 90's or 100's, which I believe is more in the average of amateur / recreational golfers.
Actually on further thought, I would agree with this generally speaking. It's probably easier to get around a 10% increase in a player's chipping, driving and shots - than it is to get a 25% increase in one area putting.

@wagolfer7 I'm just not sure how you can refute the book and the data it presents {ie I don't count on whatever data he is using for amateurs), when you have not even read it and thus don't fully understand how/why the data collected and presented.
You are essentially saying you are sticking to your opinions and anecdotal evidence, when you admit you aren't educated on what it is you are even arguing against. Which is exactly why in my first comment I stated this thread will break down into two camps, those who have read the book and those who have not (yet will still argue against it).

He also goes on to say that getting to the level where putting differentiates you week in and week out is not practical. You cannot become so good of a putter that it trumps the other aspects of the game. You would have to be a magnitude better than the very best putter on the PGA Tour for that to be the case. Putting helps but not as much as not taking penalties and getting the ball close to the hole.

It is luck that a guy makes a 30 footer or two during a tournament not really skill. Not a skill you can practice anyway. Lagging is good. Turning that 1.987 into a guaranteed 1.5 is a huge advantage.