Benefits of joining a club?

I've never been a member of a club. I have played most of the public and private tracks here in the Dallas area and I never felt like I was missing out. But I recently moved and the local course here has now gone "semi private". They're running a special right now and the initiation fees and dues are discounted because of the virus situation. I played the course two days ago and its easily my top 3 favorite in the city. It's probably as cheap as it'll ever be. So my question is for club members.....What is the best part of being a member at a club? Is it worth it? or do you find yourself getting bored with the course ? Are the social aspects the biggest plus?

Course availability and course conditions were my primary reasons for joining a private country club, 23 years ago. My feelings haven’t changed. Our club has 5 sets of tees which allows a golfer to play our course from 5,800 yards to 7,200 yards. We have a huge, state of the art, practice facility. I never get bored at our club.

We’ve used the pool less than 50 times in 23 years. I don’t use our fitness center because I workout at home. Our club has Friday night fine dining which easily takes care of the monthly food minimum. My wife loves the fine dining feature!

* if you like the course and you can play it without battling crowds, it’s a no-brainer.

I think belonging to a Club is awesome. You have to find the right fit, but if you do it's amazing.

My Club has a great group of guys. I'd bet we have more 'fun' at our course than any other Club in our area. We have a regular money game that is typically followed by a 8-16 person extra holes playoff (alt shot, big scramble, etc) that is played in one huge group until the sun falls.

Our Club is centered around golf: no tee times, play in as big a group as you want (as long as you aren't slowing play down), etc. Everyone is expected to be respectful of others on the course, so if your group shows up and the first tee is packed, you're welcome to go out and fill in some gap on the course if you'd like. That appeals to me.

Belonging to a Club also affords you the ability to go out and play a few holes without eating a full greens fee. It's no biggie to go out in the evening, play a few balls on three holes, and go home without paying full price.

Clubs also have a variety of events. Those typically offer some fun formats and some great memories. Our Club typically does a 1-club challenge: $100/man, no shoes / gloves / tees and you play as a group of 20+ people. One tie - all tie. It's one of the highlights each year.

Depending on your line of work, a club is also a great opportunity to meet people who you might be able to work with too.

Lastly, there is the social aspect. Some people enjoy having a place to eat, swim, etc. It's not for my appetite but obviously important.

Private golf is certainly a luxury, but if you're a golf fanatic and can afford it, I always endorse it.

I don't think joining a semi-private course and joining a private club are the same thing. If you're not going to play three times a week, don't join a club unless money is no object.

I'm a member of a 54 hole private in NC, play 3-4 times a week with a circle of good guys. It's expensive but worth it.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Recently joined a semi-private club near me because they were also running a special. I already played 2-3 times a week, so the money made sense and is actually saving me cash.

The benefits I find are:

1. Increased practice time bc I get free range balls or can go out and just play a few holes if I want without paying full greens fees.

2. My wife is more understanding about me leaving to play so that we "get our money's worth."

3. I can take my kids fishing in the ponds around the course without hassle.

4. Getting to really know every inch of a course.

I joined last month and have played probably 8 rounds in 3 weeks (weather has been garbage) and haven't gotten bored yet.

My .02, A semi-private is not a private.

There are a slough of threads around here where guys complain that they can't play on Monday afternoon, Saturday mornings or Sundays because their "club" is hosting an outside event. When we finally get to the bottom of it the "club" is actually what amounts to a public course that has a "membership" program. Sometimes because they signed up for semi-private, sometimes because the private club has to open up to more and more outside play. The course is doing what courses do when they need extra revenue, they sell spots to fill the tee sheet.

Make darn sure you know what they plan to do regarding events and closing the course(s) to hold outside play when the Covids blows over. While the course is empty now and you have full-access that may change drastically when golf is back to wide open again. Who is the course beholden to? The members and their wants and wishes or to a management company looking for a profit.

• Like 2

I think as other have said, you need to find the right fit for you. Do you have a SO and/or kids, who want social events and activities? If there is a food/drink minimum is it a place you'll go to eat. Is it location acceptable to go and play often, etc etc. The most important to me was the people and how decisions are made. I was a young executive member at a course, but decided not to renew to full because of the people factor. So my search continues.

I just joined a club because of a similar discount situation, and honestly I've been really enjoying it so far. I have a lot of fun at my club, I've got about ten friends who recently joined as well, and not having to worry about tee times in the area is really nice too. Not sure what the public situation's like in your area, but all the decent public courses in my area are way overpriced. I'm spending about the same as I was before, and playing more as a result. I'm happy I made the decision to join.

I am a member of what would likely be termed semi-private open to public play, (euro/uk style club) with unlimited golf. I also have access to a handful of members only clubhouse amenities (sauna, fitness center, practice center, etc.)

I have a number of opportunities for club tournaments and events open to members only. I can usually walk on when it suits me, but I can make reservations if I need to play on a particular day. Certainly not a Private Club in the classic sense, but a bit better than a local muni.

I have never gotten bored of my course, because I constantly leave a stroke somewhere and need to go back to find it. My membership allows me to turn 18 into 36 on a whim if I desire, and I am in the club for the golf.

As other posters allude to, semi-private can mean a number of things. It can be a season pass at an otherwise completely public golf course, or it can mean an effectively private club that allows some public tee times.

My situation affords me a similar club atmosphere to more full private courses, (but not completely) and unlimited golf, at the expense of occasionally having to deal with playing with visitors and tolerating worse course conditions. (All of which is suitable for my golfing)

I recommend you investigate the exact details of this course's semi-privateness to determine what you're getting. Buyer beware, as it were.

A course in the US going from private to semi-private should be thought of as only slightly better than buying an annual pass at a public course. They only do that because they are hemorrhaging money. It's extremely rare that it is a temporary situation where they would return to being private. The change to semi private causes a further exodus of dues paying members, which is why they are offering the special to you. A common thread with these courses is they continue to bleed out and conditions deteriorate, they offer more and more times to the general public over the membership and have more tournament days that are closed to the members until they turn fully public or go under. Assume the initiation is added to the cost of this year's membership and ask yourself if you would still be happy at that price.

If it is the other way and was public but is now semi private then that is a much better situation. It indicates they have enough members that they can afford to cut down on public play and some of these end up turning fully private at some point.

And as others said, a semi private is not in any way like a private club. If the general public can make a tee time, it's public.

Semi-private club membership benefits (at least at my club):

1. No tee time restrictions (members only on Mondays, and before 10am on other weekdays, 11am on weekends)

2. 14-day advance tee time registration

3. Club tournaments

4. GHIN membership

5. Availability of pool memberships

6. Discounted lessons

7. Ability to use the grounds for other activities like taking my kids fishing.

For me and the amount I play, it is 100% worth every penny.

My concern about a semi-private would be availability of tee-times. Do they book outings a lot. This could be a deal breaker if they are taking the members dues as well as lining their pockets with outings. I belong to a fully private club and our rules allow outings only on Mondays. Last year I believe we had about 15 outings - not a nuisance. How are course conditions? Are there any other amenities? Pool, tennis, exercise facilities, good dining? Is the entire family a member? My wife plays, we're retired, and get excellent value out of out membership. Have indoor (and outdoor) tennis so we can play a little year-round. Plus we take the grandkids to the pool and have enjoyable time together. Ultimately its like one big family as you get to know most members. At a semi-private you see different faces every day and they might not care about fixing ball marks, divots, bunkers, etc. In the end you have to weigh what you spend versus value received.

I really wish private clubs offered a 1 month trial period. You pay a slight premium but get to experience the course and members for a month before having to commit to them long term. To me, it's like going on a first date and finishing the night with them asking you if you want to get married.

My 2 biggest concerns with private clubs aren't the money. 1) you don't get to play with your friends (non-members). Yes, you can do a couple guest passes but that's it. they will be asking you if you want to play a public course that's cheaper more often than not. 2) you will get bored with the course after playing it so regularly. If you play other courses once in a while (with friends) I think that would help but make sure you add that expense to your budget if you have/need one.

I'd really like to see country clubs group together a little better. Your home course you can play all the time but have say, 2 or 3 other private courses you can play for $25-75 once a week after noon.

Private clubs in an area usually do have that where members can play the other private courses with a call from your pro. It's going to cost more than $25-75 though in most instances. The whole point of a private club is for members, not others. The costs are too high in the US to allow lots of outside play as the whole point people pay the private costs is so they can go out and play in 3 hours or less any time they want.

Ask if you pay the full annual dues up front if they will waive the initiation. Baring that, ask for 50% off the initiation. It's like buying a car or negotiating a job offer. They are advertising that special because they want to sign up members. You just need to find the private price they are willing to accept. A semi private (again that's still a public course) is not going to turn you down because you asked about discounts.

No. So basically There are two courses that are built right next to each other. in the same neighborhood. They are both top notch tracks - much higher stander than a muni. I just moved to the area at the beginning of the year and found out the two clubs have combined and gone semi private. Meaning non members have to email the golf pro to request a tee time (which I did without problem last week). But you can only play during the week after 12pm if you aren't a member. They are renovating the old clubhouse and turning it into a dining and party center. As well as adding a rooftop patio bar to the larger clubhouse (from the second course)

Here's the course if you want to check it out. http://www.theoldamericangolfclub.com

I joined a club, but didn't really know anyone. Lasted a year.

It was a catch 22 that I really didn't appreciate much at this club. In order to play, you should be hooked up with other members. But, how do you get hooked up with other members if you a) don't know anyone and b) they are already playing with others? SIgn up for a tournament? Gotta be with someone else. If there's room, we'll match you up. "Oh, sorry, no room."

Most of my rounds were solo rounds there "oh, sorry, everyones already hooked up, if you wanna go off the back?". Would eat occasionally ( I cook a lot so eating out is not on the high on the list of things to do ), and the mens social scene at the club mostly consisted of everyone hanging around in the one bar where smoking is allowed.

So, you can say I wasn't a fit. Sad, because it's a good course, and closest to home.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I think it would be great to see something like this: Say a club has an initiation fee of $25,000 and monthly dues of $800. Offer a one-month trial membership in which your application has to go through the usual vetting. The one month trial costs $3,200 (4x the dues) paid up front. If you decide at the end of the month that it's not for you, drop out and you are only out the $3,200. Decide to continue the membership, you get $2,400 in credit ($3,200 - $800 for the month of dues) towards the $25,000.

There are some clubs in the area with sizable initiation fees that I would have some interest in joining. Not knowing anyone there, I would not be comfortable committing to a five figure initiation payment with only a walk around the grounds with the membership director and a solo round played at 3pm on a Tuesday to go off of for an impression on how well I'd like the club or fit in.

Obviously, some clubs get sufficient new members from existing member referrals/sponsorship and would not need to offer such a program. That being said, I am familiar with one club with a top 150 course that has started offering a summer trial membership in the last year or two before you have to pay the initiation fee, so times are changing.

My wife and I joined our first private club almost 2 years ago. In no particular order:

No tee times. (however, because of covid we have to do tee times for now. But normally, no tee times)Pace of play is excellent (I've walked 18 in as quick as 2.5 hours, and I think the slowest round I've played was 4)Course is always in great shape. The food at the restaurant is excellent. The adult beverage pours are generous. If you order a glass of wine, it's usually at least 3/4 full when they pour it. Before we joined my wife maybe played 2-4 times a year. Last year she played over 50 rounds. Lots of tournaments, social eventsThere's a nice pool. I haven't used it yet, but it looks niceClub and push cart storage. Normally I wouldn't count this, but because of covid we currently don't have this feature, and I actually miss it quite a bit. It was nice not having to lug my stuff back and forthUnlimited range use.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

While there is a small percentage of clubs that don't need programs like this because of referrals or a long wait list, the vast majority are going to need it soon. Private clubs are most popular among the older generation. They will need to learn to cater to younger generations in order to survive. They will need to start doing some non-traditional options to lure new members.