2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cavity back wedges

jomatty

Who is using something like the ping glide or Cbx style wedges in the higher lofts? I need a new 54 degree wedge and I’m kind of torn between something like the TaylorMade mg2 (that what my 58 is and I really like it) and the ping glide 2.0 (what my 50 is and I also really like it). My play with the 54 is fairly straightforward. Chipping, full shots, Longer bunker shots and pitching. Most of my bunker play is with the 58 and any flop shot style things are done with the 58. This makes me think that a cavity back would not provide many issues and could provide a little bit of extra forgiveness (I shoot in the mid 80’s and have plenty of misses from everywhere).

What have you guys experienced with these wedges as far as their limitations as well as their advantages? Is anyone who is a lower mid handicapper/upper single digit player considering them, or are you giving up too much versatility?

thank you!

I play a CBX 50/11, obviously as a gap wedge.

Nice enough on full shots, too 'hot' for chipping, too light in the head for touch shots, out of heavy lies etc.

Added 2 grams lead tape to the head to make it more acceptable to my tastes.

Not really a fan.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I have the Glide 2.0 Stealths and they are by far the most versatile wedge I have played. Very forgiving and love the low bounce option that I have on my 58*, that club is money off of hard pan lies. Use my 54* / 12* bounce for everything else, you can open it up real easy in the bunkers as well.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I have the CBX2 54/10 and CBX2 Full Face 58/12. Love the wedges I have played a lot of wedges and these are pretty dummy proof imo. I love them, from looking down at then they look like a typical wedge but they have a lot of help behind the cavity. Great wedges and the Full Face looks a hell of a lot better than the TM or Callaway offerings in the same shape imo

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

If your miss is slightly heavy or fat, the CBX2 wedges will help you tremendously. That is my miss, and no clubs have ever helped me change my game as much as these. I have a 50 and 54 cbx2, and even on a poor swing the ball still gets up in the air and can stop on the green. It will slide through thick grass, and it even works for me on tight lies. I have successfully opened the face on the 54 even with the wide sole, and I dont think it has ever restricted my shot options. I still have a 60 degree RTX4, and I am not sure I even need it anymore honestly.

I am playing the CBX2 in 50* and 54* and absolutely love them both, Previously my 50* was a semi cavity Cleveland and I played it for 5 years thinking I would never find something to replace it with. Not only did I replace it, but liked the flexibility so much that I want a 54 degree as well.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Always a wonder for me how people will play a set of cavity back or sgi irons and transfer to blade wedges. I’ve done it but now I have a glide es stealth 54° and a glide 2 58° also es grind. And I am gaming ping ie1 irons now. The wedges are great from sand and with a bit of care also from tight lies and the rough. Leading edge is a sharp tool be careful with it and the old saying about a sharp tool plays true. The es grind is probably not going to be a favorite of someone playing soft fairways, fat shot is not forgiven. Get the ss grind if that is the case.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Great thread!

I am a high single digit and play a CBX 52,56,60. They literally are the safety net of my bag.

The leading edge being a tad bit thicker is the only thing that I have noticed as a limitation when needing to really open it up, but that also will greatly depend on the lie. I've maybe only ran into that scenario a couple times.

Beyond that, they're money! I feel like where they really shine is on full shots, they become an extension of your bag and gapping, you're able to hold greens and they produce a ton of stopping power and spin.

Definitely a worth a look into.

I picked up a 52 CBX 2 a couple of months ago, I had been struggling finding a gap wedge I was happy with. I had it bent to 51 and flattened it 1 degree. So far I have absolutely loved it. So much I picked up a 54 CBX2 a couple of days ago to see if I like that one also. I got it used (looks 9.5/10), and has a jumbo grip on it I have to change, I will see how it goes. I had played the older 588 CBs several years ago, liked them, but when the grooves wore down, went back to blade like wedges. Part of the appeal of the CBX 2 for me I think is the wide V sole, I grew up playing a wide sole Hogan wedge, but haven't played one in many years.

What got my on the CB wedge kick was picking up a mid 1980s Ping Eye 2 SW for 10 bucks at a flea market last fall. It has turned me into an actual decent bunker player, and I like it of the grass well enough also, took a bit to get used to the look.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Ping Eye 2.

My work here is done.

• Like 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Using CBX 56* for:

most sand shots

some chips

some pitch shots

Full shots at 85 yards

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Thanks guys for the responses. I got a 50, 54 and 58 glide 2 ss based on the feedback given. I would have liked the glide 3 but cheaped out. I was able to play them for the first time today. The only one I had any concerns with was the 58 but if today is any indication, it’s going to work out really well. Eventually I may have to make a shot in which I’ll miss the blade some, but I was able to hit flop shots and chip from tight lies today with a lot of confidence. I’d prefer the blade for the flop shot but for everything else the glide gave me a lot of confidence and the results were great. Thanks again for the input

Done like you're gonna leave for 10 years again?

:)

Is that really you or is this an imposter? What are your thoughts on Lee Westwood?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm not mat562 but I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express about a year ago and, frankly, I like the guy a lot. Westy is a guy I've followed for longer than 10 years and he's still a player. Take that for what you will...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

The Glide 2.0 is a compact pro wedge. It has about as much cavity as a Titleist 718 CB. The Glide 3.0 has a smidge more, let's go with an AP2 comparison for that one (still pro level absolutely, I believe AP2 is amongst Titleist's most popular sets on the PGA tour). The CBX is a completely different animal, that one is more like a Ping G410. I've played all 3 extensively (3.0, 2.0, CBX).

As someone then with experience with all 3 and having outlined the differences, how do you say they each play?

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I switched from vokey to CBXs about a year ago. First I replaced my 56 which is the wedge I probably use the most for chipping. I found it to be better than my vokeys across the board, but where it really shined was full shots. With the vokeys, I might hit full shots high and short, low and long, left, right, etc. It was probably mostly due to my lack of abilities, but I did not find the clubs consistent. The CBXs are great. I have very reliable distances for full shots, and they inspire confidence for chips and pitches. I liked the 56 so much I got a 60 as well.

Have a newish Ping Glide 3.0 52 as a gap wedge. Not sure about it yet. Only played a few rounds but is my least favorite club in the bag right now. Might reshaft it as it just feels light to me. Would trade for a RTX4.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

It's me. Wedges are a favourite subject of mine, so I thought I'd chip in, even if my recommendation's a bit left field versus more contemporary suggestions.

Eye 2s are still great wedges if you ask me, and if it's a cavity-backed one you're after, or are considering, there are few wedges made since that come close to being as good. The much-imitated sole design on the sand wedge just works, and with a bit of grinding you can turn a chunky soled L wedge into a proper, usable, low bounce lob wedge that you can lay wide open and hit flop shots of concrete with. I've been out with mine earlier for a bit of lockdown chipping in the garden, albeit not off the driveway. The XG and Gorge versions aren't quite as aggressively grooved as the old ones of yesteryear that caused all the fuss, but the newer grooves are decent, produce plenty of spin, and give adequate control from the semi or wet lies, which I've found to be less than stellar with some of the newer wedges with the CoC grooves. The main drawback for me of the modern reissues is that the powers that be have stopped you being able to get beryllium ones; so no longer can you have a nicely aged copper wedge with a dark patina at the front of the bag. Honestly, I reckon my depleted uranium shafts and asbestos-corded grips will be next for the chop.

The Eye 2s have a bit of a face that only a mother could love, and are certainly an acquired taste - and if you're seen playing one by anyone under 25 you and your Eye 2 will both be ridiculed - but there's a reason every man and his dog on tour had one or two of the things in the bag back in the day.

If the humungous sole bothers you, do what I did and model your own custom grind after a T grind Vokey lob wedge by whipping off the back edge and the heel.

Oh, Westy? Great bloke. Past his best now, but still a solid game. Hopefully he may yet pull a rabbit out of the hat and win a Major at some point, if the venue, weather and his putting all align.

img-1173.jpg

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Yeah it's definitely you. Haha. Glad to have you back dude. I remember reading your posts many years ago when i was new here.

For the OP, I'm a huge fan of the Eye2 aswell (actually i have a Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 lob wedge) however i find that it performs similarly to other wedges , like my Callaway PM grind which it's based on

I play a UW and SW that are Ping G410's, a big honking cavity like this i would only recommend for full swings and not touch shots around the green. I only use these because 99% of my short game work is done with the lob wedge. Full swings a cavity wedge is actually pretty easy to hit IMO

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique