First USKG Tournament Series experience thread--Spring '20

My 7 and 8-year-old played in their first USKG tournament yesterday, and it was an overall positive experience for us all. When I first got them swinging the club 11 months back, we set a goal to play in some tournaments after they watched The Short Game movie... and later the series, which they were equal parts fascinated with the kids/mortified at some parents' behavior. After months of preparation and play, it was time to turn them loose and enter them into a tournament.

The teaching pros my kids have learned under have all said the same thing--my daughter is composed emotionally and ready-enough skills-wise to compete. They also said my son was too emotional/hard on himself and probably not ready, but his skills were advanced enough to compete. His main teaching pro, a family friend, was split on it, but ultimately said it may be best just to get the first experience under his belt--we went with that.

The almost-hour travel time to the event came with an bathroom stop for the kids, which ate into my daughter's practice time once we got there. The new rules say you are only allowed to get there a max of 45 min ahead of your tee time. Well, we had 23 min--so we hit about 20 range balls and spent the rest putting. Lack of time swinging her irons likely cost her a couple of strokes, but next time maybe that will be incentive for her to use the restroom before leaving home. This was my son's first time golfing with his mother, who knows the bare-minimum about the rules and such, so it's hard to say how his warm-up period went--but at least he got the full 45 minutes.

Upon meeting the other parents and golfers, I was relieved that everyone was very nice and experienced. They offered advice and help when it was warranted, but never overstepped. It was a huge relief, and a big bonus to spend nine holes of golf with good company. The other two girls in the grouping really put on a clinic, carding par or close. They threw darts with their wedges and their drives were 140-170 all day. The girl who scored low was lethal with her putter, one-putting a couple times and never three-putting. There is something to be said about playing with good players, and playing up (or down) to competition.

The first tee comes, and my daughter puts one out in the middle of the fairway about 130 out. Not her best, but it was exactly what she needed to start her round off--a non-shank! The round had its ups and downs, and she had her worst hole on the last hole--a 255 yard par 5 littered with traps to the left and water hazard to the right. But overall, it was a major confidence-builder for her to play with two of the better 8-9 girls in the state and hang with them most of the round. The best part--she had fun and wants to try again in two weeks.

It was a solid round for her, maybe even ideal for a first effort. After the round, the father of the low-score girl was kind enough to recommend swapping the Cobra shaft out of her driver for Bassara 43g lite. Throughout the day I asked him about a neighboring tour (perhaps most competitive 8-9 girls group around) his daughter usually played in, and about his experience at Worlds. The other dad was extremely nice and helpful as well, as were the rest of their families.

Once we finished at the scorer's table, we backtracked to the 8th hole where my son and wife were. This was the only time all day I regretted not driving a cart, as it was hot and my daughter was kinda done walking. My son was waiting to tee off, and he seemed OK. The wife said he was doing OK, with one mini-meltdown after a bad hole. He steps up and drives the short 109 yd par 4 green. I congratulate him, and he proceeds to four-putt--such is life. He took out his anger on the next tee shot, sending a rope 125 yds, just short of a fairway bunker left-side. But he's not happy, and blames me for telling him to aim left to avoid the water. He doesn't want to hear that he's on the fairway and it doesn't matter. Hybrid time, but he wants to use his 7--hates his hybrid. He relents, hits his hybrid half as far as he wanted--my fault again. I see where this is going, and fast. 51 degree wedge time, and he shanks. My fault again. Another 51 degree wedge shot, which I tell him to chip--he jacks it over the green (my fault). I let the wife finish out the hole with him, and I put my daughter's pull-cart/bag into the car.

Like his sister, he saved the last hole for worst. Unlike his sister, and predictably, he couldn't handle it. We talk in the car one-on-one until he is good enough to eat dinner out, and he's fine the rest of the night. He tells me that he would have shot better with me there because mommy doesn't know what she's doing--lol. Truly the backup QB syndrome--the guy on the bench is always the favorite. He can't wait to play again, and can't stand the idea of not getting to play and having to watch his sister compete. But man, the meltdown makes it hard to put him out there again in two weeks. We'll practice up until then, and make a decision to pull him or play him.

The short 1123 yd course was one he absolutely could have carded a personal-best at, but it wasn't to be on this day.

The kid and dad he was paired with were experienced and easy-going--a real blessing. They were the last group of the day, and their play was slowed by the group 7u girls in front of them. 2.5 hours for 9 holes....

So, after months and months of not playing golf with other kids, they did it. These were some of the first kids they have seen in person in quite some time, given the COVID situation, so it was a win alone on that level.

I still remember her first tournament. Warming up good, making decent contact with the driver. Get to the first tee they announce her name it made her nervous. Swings the driver almost misses hits it dead on the toe goes dead right into the junk. But somehow she didn't make a 10. That was the goal then. lol. How quickly things change. Its a fun process and love even min getting to spend that time on the course with my kid.

We were at 10 year old worlds just sailing along on day 2. Got to hole number 11 which was a long Par 5. His third shot was like a 5 Wood. He hits it and the ball rolls through a clay bunker, not slowing down jumps up on the green. It continues to roll and ends up over the green. He is mad and blames it on me suggesting the club. Not on him who hit the shot or just incredibly bad luck that it rolled through a trap on and over the green. He walks to the next hole with a beat red face just pissed after he bogeys the hole. May have been a double, don't remember. Before I know it, and he did not have honors, he gets up to the tee box and hits driver before the other kids. Snap hooks it in a place you couldn't be and ends up taking a snowman.... all because he was pissed and blaming something on me.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Funny how the mind of a child works, right? LOL

I remember taking batting practice when I was maybe 12 with my brand new Easton Black Magic 32" bat. My dad's tossing batting practice to me, and I'm struggling to get it around and hate choking up. I then uttered the worst possible words:

"We should have bought the 31", Dad."

Well, Dad channeled his inner-Goose Gossage unleashed his best inside fastball, followed by a flurry of unrepeatable words.

I don't think I ever said sorry so quickly, or so genuinely, as I did that day.

I'm going to keep this thread going through the end of the Spring series we are playing.

Been a good several days of practice for both kids. My daughter's F9 driver now has a Bassara e42 Lite shaft, which is giving her drive more loft and a 40" shaft instead of 41.25"... set the driver back to its original 12.5* last night after watching her drives launch like hybrid at the range. We'll see what happens in practice the next few days with it.

Both kids have had a lot of short game work since last tournament. Although it is perfectly natural for a kid to four-putt, I'm not sure if my son could take another 9 where he did it three times. The perfectionist gene he inherited from his mother is a gift and a curse in this sport.

Three boys signed up in my son's age group this week, and growth is good. Last tournament my wife refused to tell my son his running score. That policy is probably in place again.

Lessons to be applied to this week's USKG local tournament:

--Show up much earlier, make the children use the restroom before leaving no matter what they say.

--Bring more water.

--make the kids eat their snack this time on the course

--make sure son practices ring and string drills on putting green before round. Mom said he only hit long putts in practice last week in spite of her protest.

--make sure daughter gets more than 12 range balls to hit before the round. See first lesson.

--Dad must wear a hat this time. Somebody needs to remind that guy...

Listen to @mattwalterpga Podcast ep. 116. That's some Zen stuff.
Amazing to watch a junior that has the swing and finally starting to figure out the mental side.

Son played in a tournament this past weekend. Watched most from the forecaddy area. At the turn he was in the lead of a National Event. I was like WTF is happening.
Director asked me which club is working. I said the mental one. Cause he is hitting the ball like shit. He topped two irons as a 17yo on two different holes. Next shot dart to 6 inches. Finished 3 back of the lead
He woke up for day 2. He looks different. I'm looking for the ok i cant win just go through the motions. Its not present.

Hole 1 Bomb. wedge to 5 feet for birdie. Lips out.
Hole 2 Bomb wedge to a foot. Birdie.
Hole 13 he triples. Bad lies and trying to be cute with two flops.
Walks to the 14 and says well that's not suppose to happen ( as he laughs). I'm thinking now, ok who the F88k are you?
589 Par 5 with a 220 carry of a wildlife area. Pops it about 280 (called it later the Happy Gilmore mets Gary player swing) . Lays up to about 85. Spins a 60 back to 1 foot for tap in birdie.
Walks to the next hole and says ok thats better.
He told me Sunday night. He went to bed thinking I'm only this far back. I will chase them down and win.
He came up short in the end, but he fought to the end.

The kids completed their second USKG local event today, and it was the mixed bag to end all mixed bags. My daughter lost three balls, but I was proud of the way she battled. My son put up a personal best, posted par on four holes, but fell apart on the last hole because he couldn't accept a hooked drive into the water.

Some thoughts on the day:

--The event was held at quaint, local course which was as saturated as you'd want to play. The driving range was basically adjacent to the on-site sports bar, which was playing 2 Live Crew at one point while my daughter was warming up. My daughter isn't hitting great, and is asking me why the people are yelling at each other at the bar. I mean, who doesn't like pounding drives to "Me So H*rny"? A dad turns to me and says, "Well, they're gonna hear it sometime." On that note, time to hit the practice green...

--Practice green was out of earshot of the sports bar, small, and in incredible shape. We had worked on putting a ton over the past two weeks, so the short ones were starting to become automatic for both kids. I tell my son good luck and head out to the first tee.

--Two of the six kids in 8-9 girls withdrew late from the tournament--the best player and a recreational player. It started off well, playing with the pint-sized local girl from last week. Her consistency with her drives and irons, fantastic. My daughter played with her, again, for the first few holes before she drove her first ball in an area that was unplayable and probably OB on the edge of the water on an embankment. Playable for a lefty, not for a righty. She hit a provisional drive just short of the green complex, which stood fortified by bunkers on top of a big hill. Beautiful lob wedge to 3 ft, putts it in for six. This was kind of the thesis statement of her round. A few holes later, she manages to jack a sand wedge massively off-target and overpowered into the brush in back of the green. It was a scenario I couldn't have imagined for her at this point, as her wedges are strong for a first-year player, and it was a place I had to remind myself that she's still so new to all of this.

--The next hole, it was the other girl's turn to show her age. She hit a shot that disappointed her, and she kind of crumpled to the turf. It was stunning to see, as this girl is as wonderful and even-tempered as you'll ever see. She throws a little attitude at her dad, and he kinda cuckles at her and deflects it beautifully. That was a good learning moment for me. It doesn't matter what level your player is, there can still be a mini-melt if they are disappointed with the outcome. Both girls finished strong, and became friendly during the match--great to see given everything happening in the world right now.

--My daughter was disappointed in her score, but I couldn't be more proud of how she handled having her C- game that day. It was her second day in a row playing an event on a saturated course, and maybe it was a bit much (she played in a low-pressure local scramble the day before, which was fun).

--We drive back to the 8th hole to catch up to my son, who is sitting five-over and is faced with a tough shot decision. Second shot on a par 5, green is about 100 yards away and he has his 3W out. He can hit this club 100 yards, but can he carry it 70 yards over the water off a muddy lie? I give him 25% chance, and tell him his other option is to lay up with his 56, and go for the green with his hybrid. To my suprise, he picked door #2 and hits a wedge to 7 yards of the water. Hybrid was true, and he hits it to the back of the green. He ends up with bogie, and honors on the next hole.

--I give him a ride over, and he's pumped. He's made a new friend with an really good out-of-town boy, he's playing well, and he's thankful for my advice on the par 5. What could go wrong?

--This finishing hole was not especially imposing the way it was set up for the 6U group. 115ish to the pin, uphill and multi-tiered green protected by a big bunker in the front. Water on the left, but according to the wife and a dad in the group, he's been pummeling his drive down the fairway all day. Well, he finds the water on his drive and its meltdown-city--I handle it bad. I'm incredulous that he's acting out in a round where he's playing right with one of the best 6U boys in FL, and I pull him far off to the side so the other players can hit their tee shot without hearing him cry. The wife is mad because I'm probably not helping, son calms down enough to drop a ball and he steps up to hit....

--He puts his club up close to the ball (which is firmly in some unruly rough) and it rolls back about four inches. Penalty, and he loses it again. No bueno. He hits one onto the green and finishes out with his only triple of the day.

--Take the cart back to the clubhouse and pass the sports bar on the way--still raucous. We weren't in the car for the hour-drive home until about 7:10. Door-to-door, it was a six-hour process, capped off with a fast-food dinner and the wife is wondering if there wasn't something better we could be doing with our Sunday. I didn't completely disagree.

Both kids had a great time, and want to keep competing. My son beat his personal best by three strokes, which I suspected he would at 1120 yards. He can't wait to play again. My daughter told me she wanted to play in Worlds last night after talking to her new friend about it while she was playing. The wife needs a break after two emotional rounds with our son. It looks like we may be done for spring tour, but will probably play some events closer to our home in the next two months. The last year has been a fun adventure with the kids, breaking them into golf and then gearing them up for competition. Pinehurst is a worthy goal for '21, if the kids have the drive to break 40 over the next 10-12 months. If they don't, they don't... they have lots of time.

Daughter had her first US Kid tournament yesterday. I thought it was well done. All women organizers and volunteers, it was flawless done. :-) Check in, tee off, pre-scoring, and official scoring.

The complain was one dad in the group. He was over the top with his daugher and caddying. He would take so long in getting her setup. Third or four he wanted to give my daughter swing thoughts. I kindly asked him to STFU. Him and his daughter were stroke shaving and even caught by the local director.

Daughter had a blast. She chip in twice and sank a couple of 20 footers.

I’m glad it was a success for you guys... and that the point-shavers were caught.

This venue was as a stark contrast to the venue two weeks ago, and it was surprising how much of a difference it made. I do understand how tough it has to be to coordinate venues for a postponed juniors tour, though. Cool course for getting out with some friends, maybe not great for the littlest of juniors.

Some more post-tournament thoughts today, as I was hitting in the garage with the kids on this rainy day.

--How much distance does your junior under 10 typically gain off the tee, using an iron, as opposed to hitting an iron on a typical fairway shot? My daughter's Velocity irons set doesn't have a 7i, and I find myself often just telling her to hit whatever she feels comfortable with on an 75-85 yd par 3. Thoughts?--My kids have complete opposite swing styles. My daughter has a sweeping swing with an incomplete finish (think Costner imitating Palmer on the driving range in Tin Cup), while my son is a digger with more of a prototypical finish (when he keeps his balance and doesn't swing out of his shoes). They've had the same lessons for about a year, from the same pros, so it is interesting the two contrast so much.--The difference in styles gives my son an advantage hitting greens with his irons and hybrid because he generates more natural backspin. It seems to give my daughter noticeably better roll-out on her drives and fairway woods. --Both kids struck up friendships on the course with competitors.They are both eager to enter another USKG Tournament, but we may wait until fall on that and play some local lower-pressure kids scrambles closer to our house in the meantime. Both kids have scored into the 40s within their first two tournaments, and that's kind of a win. But the real win is that they can't wait to play in another tournament, even they have to settle for a local scramble. Playing against this kind of talent to start their tournament experiences has been great exposure for them. Each of the two tournaments my daughter has been in, a girl has lead the field shooting par. This past tournament, my son played against the best six-year-old boy I've ever seen (perhaps not saying much, but the kid was a few lipped putts from shooting par and he only pulled his driver once).

There is still lots of learning ahead for us, but I like where golf is headed for them so far.

It was cool reading this, as my oldest daughter is playing in her last USKG local tomorrow (and I'm going to miss it).

My oldest started playing in the 10-11 year old division. Her first tournament she shot a 53. It was a beautiful day at a First Tee course, and I was very proud of her. She got 3/4, the first two spots to girls much older and a lot more experienced.

This year is the first year I've seen my daughter crack 90 in tournament play. In late may she shot an 80 in a local. A few days later she shot a 91 in a state run event (non USKG from much further distance), and if she putted better would have been top 5-6.

I say all of that to say this: Enjoy watching your kids grow through USKG. It is a great on-boarding experience to real competitive golf. Find other opportunities, particularly ones without caddies allowed, and watch them really grow in the game. I have two daughters going through this process and it my absolute favorite thing watching them compete, get better, and just want to improve each time they practice and play.

Thank you for sharing this. The process of taking your daughter to her first tournament---->shooting 80 at a local last month I'm sure has been an amazing one for you both.

We're doing more casual, local golf events this summer to keep the kids around golf and get them some social time with other kids. This fall, we'll hit USKG locals again with a broader sense of both how much the kids have grown, and of course, how much growing they still have ahead of them. So far, so good.

MB19, congratulations to you and your kids, nice write up. It sounds like they have the bug now and there will be a lot more in the future. I had to chuckle, your son and his blaming you for his shots ? Yes I can relate!

My son, 8, played in his first USKG event in awhile on Sunday. Couple take aways were:

Its amazing how the parents in the grouping can make or break the day. Almost all of the events he’s played have been with great parents but there have been a few who treat it like Sunday afternoon at The Masters. Seriously, they’re seven?! This group was four Dad’s who all “got it”. The kids had fun together, the Dad’s all wanted a relaxing afternoon and the event went very well.

Hes learned so much about the game since he started playing. I watched him choose his club for each shot and it was cool to see him look at the next shot, estimate distance and then pick the club with no input from me at all. And to watch him get it right was really special.

When we got home, I looked back over his scores from when he was 6, in the 2017 season and it’s fun to see the improvement in the scores. His first tourney he shot 69. Yesterday it was 43.

Going from 69 to 43 is quite a journey, and I'm sure it is fun to look back at the past few years for the both of you at this point. Now that he's able to manage his game, does it create more of an avenue for the two of you talk about/not talk about his round with a different kind of vibe?

I'm not going to lie, at the first event when we shared what brand of balls our kids were playing it was a little intimidating to hear the father of the best girl say, "Pro V1". I had never even considered the possibility a 9-year-old girl would be using a big dog ball. But you know what? Behind that little golfer who cranked big drives and shot darts with her wedges was a shy little girl and a very friendly father who wanted our first USKG Tournament to be as welcoming as possible. In this crazy world, it turns out that people--thankfully--can still be really kind, gracious and even funny.

First US Kids tournament played Monday at a local and it was nice to be back out there. I couldn't caddy due to some bruised ribs, but my wife took the bag and helped as much as she could. Basically cleaned his ball and gave him the occasional high 5. lol

I think this was our first time playing the 10 yr old yardages and it plays short, but gave my son good practice on his feel shots. His swing is a bit rusty, but coming along.