2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Old school Pebble Beach

I had the pleasure of playing Pebble yesterday, my fourth time. It was awesome; some rain Sunday and early Monday but the weather was partly cloudy lots of blue sky and low-mid 60s.

BUT the best part IMO, was the LACK of concierge, pretentiousness, resort-y feel. It was really refreshing for it to be all about the golf. No a** kissing, no caddies just show up to range 1 hr before tee time to warm up, get to tee and play some golf. Everyone plays the course on their own, reads their own putts etc. Pace of play was fine, we waited a little bit but no big deal. I imagine it has been decades since golfers experienced Pebble Beach Golf Links this way.....and I like it!

It would have been nice to have a beer and food while relaxing after the round but otherwise it would be so cool if this experience was available occasionally.

bw

My wife and I have our trip to Pebble planned for later this year. It will be our second time. Not gonna lie, we both kinda enjoyed all the "extras" when we went last time. I loved things like taking a caddie.

In fact we were just discussing this morning on when we should wait until to make the final decision on whether to cancel or not. Her point, and it's a valid one, is we shouldn't be spending the money we're going to spend if we can't enjoy things like eating at restaurants, having drinks at the bar, sitting outside around the fire pits and watching the sun go down over the Pacific. Sure, the golf is certainly one of, if not the biggest piece, but it isn't the only piece to the trip.

My tune would change slightly if I were going there on a buddies trip. I'd love to go someplace like that and play golf with buddies from sun-up to sundown.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I totally understand the importance of amenities in the context of a couples' trip. I am not sure when the hotel or restaurant portion will open up. I imagine they are working to create a new experience that includes the hotel ($$$), where room service and outdoor seating is encouraged and limited seating inside restaurants.

For me living in the bay area the current situation is super appealing. It's a 2 hr drive, the mandatory hotel fee is waived, tee times reduced to $450 etc. So instead of dropping $2k for a round it cost me $400 after winning $50 off my partners ;). I love a caddy when it's a good fit (shout out to Mike Zabbo), their green reading can be super helpful; on the other hand I've had caddies that are somewhat salesy---with cheesy destination resort quotes "Ive got the best office around" "Look around we are living the dream" etc. Since I've had the fortune to play PB 3 other times I was super excited for this current different experience.

The NCGA sent out emails a few weeks ago announcing the current 'deal' and the month of May booked up super quick, I do not know how long these new restrictions will be in place but glad we jumped on it (and big thumbs up to my wife letting me bug out for a whole day!)

• Like 1

Yeah, and I definitely see your point if you're going there with just buddies who really only wanna play golf. I wanna preface the following statement and say I do enjoy going on a golf vacation with my wife. That said, I remember on our last trip to Pebble we were sitting in one of the restaurants having lunch, and a couple guys came in and sat down.

First thing they did was throw the scorecards on the table, and you could see he had a master spreadsheet. Then a couple more guys came in with scorecards, then a couple more, and so on. I think they had 12 guys in total, and they were definitely part of a big buddies trip. They were talking about their good shots, bad shots, how much money each person won in skins, etc. And as I sat there an listened, I wished I was part of a trip like that to Pebble. That would be so incredible.

Problem is most of my buddies just aren't able to, or want to spend that type of coin for a trip like that. When I brought it up once, one response I got was "but for $500 I could play (Local ABC course) like 10 times! I can't see spending that much for ONE round! That's ridiculous! I tried to explain him that this is not something you do on an every week basis. This is a bucket list item. I couldn't sway him.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I talked to them yesterday and actually made a rez at The Taproom. They're opening June 15. I guess the actual Pro Shop is closed but the restaurants and shops are open in a limited fashion like a grocery store. So I am cool with that. I wanted cocktails by the ocean and a steak at Taproom. I can have both so I am cool with that.

Oh that's great! Do you know if anything else will be open? Mainly is their lodging open or are they planning on opening it soon? Thanks in advance for any info

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I agree, If my wife and I are at Pebble together then we enjoy all of the extras too. Being that we live about 1 hr. 20 minutes from Pebble sometimes my wife and I will just drive down for the day and have lunch or dinner at one of the Pebble restaurants. If we stay on property then we stay at Spanish Bay which we like better than the Lodge.

The steaks are really good at the Taproom but so is the Kobe Brie Burger with truffle fries. If you don't think that you can eat the whole chocolate sundae you can get a 1/2 order which isn't on the menu. I forgot to pour the hot fudge over the sundae before taking the picture. Look how small the glass of ice tea looks compared to the martini glass and also I'm 6'2" and my hand doesn't reach across the glass.

I haven't been to the Jim Nantz store yet as we were going in March but the the shelter in place took effect. I think that it's next to my friends store Golf Links To The Past across from the Taproom. If you like golf memorabilia then check it out.

20190223-115653.jpg

20180623-141029.jpg

20170805-121823.jpg

Yeah, we stayed at Spanish Bay when we went the first time, and are planning on staying there again. We went over to the Lodge at Pebble and walked around before and after our dinner at Stillwater. It was very nice, but it definitely has a less "casual" feeling to it. Never mind it was a bit more expensive than SB.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Count me in as super jealous!!!!!

Sounds like such an awesome time.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The rooms in the Alvorada building at the lodge (Parralleling the 18th fairway) have all been redone and are quite a step up from the inn at SB. Also a step up in price, but it is incorrect that SB has nicer rooms. The rooms currently under construction are the ones behind the 18th green, and will be brought up to par with the more recently renovated. Totally different experiences IMO. For me the lodge with its added expense is the better value and experience. I get that it isnt the answer for all.

Everyone;s entitled to their opinion and there's no right or wrong. I prefer staying at SB although I have friends that work at Stillwaters, the Taproom, Golf Links To the Past and Marchesa Jewelery store. By the way all of the rooms at SB were redone before last years US Open.I don't care about the price difference between staying at Pebble or SB. For me Pebble has too many tourists and tourists buses around the Lodge and sometimes it's too hectic. Usually at SB we have an ocean view suite or an ocean view room overlooking the 1st fairway. It's very relaxing on your balcony eating cheese and drinking wine. We also enjoy the outside fire pits not only near the lobby but also at the side of the buildings facing the golf course. Plus my wife and I like to drink wine and Stave Wine Cellar has some great wines by the glass that usually sell by the bottle only.

• Like 1

Agreed on the SB fire pits. My wife still brings it up to this day how much enjoyment she got out of sitting out there, listening to the bag piper and watching the sun set over the Pacific.

Stave wasn't there when we were there in 2013 (or I was completely unaware of its existence). We are looking forward to checking it out this time

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

@aloha b. That looks great! Thanks for posting. We'll have to plan on visiting there one of the evenings when I don't have an early tee time the next morning, LOL. Which right now is my round at Spanish Bay, I think I have the first time at 7:00 am by myself.
Now hopefully the world stops being crazy before then so we can actually go on this trip.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Was out there in October of 2017 with 2 other couples celebrating the wife's retirement. Played Pebble, Pasatiempo, and Carmel Valley Ranch. Took in the bag piper experience at Spanish Bay, had the kobe burger and a chocolate sundae at the Tap Room,and enjoyed some really good wine at Stave. It was there that we were introduced to Kosta Browne. Had some shipped back to Texas and it's now our special occasion wine when we celebrate birthdays with the other 2 couples we went with.

Was supposed to go visit some wineries but that was right after the fires in that area so that got canceled. Did drive into Sonoma and did visit the Walt Winery tasting room. Ate at Casanova's in Carmel and drove down to Big Sur and ate at Nepenthe. Good times and a great trip.

Hopefully you'll be able to go and have a great time at Pebble. I got an email from Pebble today and they're opening their restaurants in phases.The Bench, The Taproom and the Gallery opened last Saturday May 30th. That only leaves Stillwater's and the Beach Club at Pebble to open later plus all of the restaurants at Spanish Bay. Seventeen mile drive and some of the retail shops opened today June 1st. The hotels are still scheduled to open on June 15th.

• Like 1