D2Feel Fans...

Song Dog ·  
Song DogSong Dog Members  110WRX Points: 52Posts: 110 Fairways

It’s crazy, I love this ball and see that now they have the Hammer Control, is it a rebranded D2F or a revamped one.

For a cheap ball, it’s just fun to hit

Posted:

Comments

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6656WRX Points: 304Posts: 6,656 Titanium Tees

True, a solid ball for the money. I noticed many very recent positive reviews on Dicks site on the D2F. Are they self promoting? Not sure, the Hammer does look similar.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • munichopmunichop Members  363WRX Points: 261Posts: 363 Greens

I started playing the hammer control 2 weeks ago. It is longer off the tee and a little firmer than the d2 feel. The dimples make it shapeable very similar to the new gamer. It has replaced the tru feel in my bag now that the temps have risen. Bump and runs have been very consistent but pitches have been a little tougher to dial in. I am in a putting slump right now but it is not due to any particular ball. It is very good in the wind.

Posted:
  • Song DogSong Dog Members  110WRX Points: 52Posts: 110 Fairways

Hmmm sounds very intriguing. Thanks for your info

Posted:
  • HyzerFlipDGHyzerFlipDG Members  33WRX Points: 26Posts: 33 Bunkers

I have been gaming the d2+feel since returning to the game this winter after a 15 year absence. Dicks had a BOGO on the hammer control so I grabbed 8 boxes. I played both balls during my 60 hole marathon Thursday and I am assuming the hammer control is the new D2+feel. Very similar feel on the club for me and I think the hammer control might go a little further with driver. Doing a finger nail scratch test the hammer control cover feels softer (IMO). The only scuffs I got on the hammer control were from greenside bunker shots with a sand wedge.

I'm honestly very impressed with both balls especially with how much stigma there has been around top flite balls even when I used to play 20ish years ago. I have tried their other balls (the non-feel versions) and they are too hard for my liking. Very impressed with what they have done with the D2+ Feel and now the Hammer Control.

I play the yellow version of each ball for reference. I really like their optic yellow.

I know their new packaging might not be ideal for most as they seem to be going for a more younger/party type customer, but their new ratings for each ball on the back of the box is great. Makes it much easier to compare each ball from their lineup.

I almost grabbed the new gamer during the BOGO, but not having a yellow version made me skip them for now. at full price it feels weird spending $23 for a dozen non-urethane balls when you can still get previous model Srixon Q-Star tours for $20/dozen.

Posted:

Good points, the QST prior gen is a steal right now. Eventually, they will go away so these DSG balls are good in the long run. Plus, they always run good two or three fer deals. With all of these new balls in the TF line up, why didn't they put out a new gamer soft?

Posted:

Maybe they consider the current gamer to basically be the Gamer Soft? out of all their current balls it has the highest rating on their scale for feel and spin. since it's their only 3 piece it probably has the softest core as well.

I had never played the gamer soft so I'm not sure what the difference were between the gamer series balls. I have only played the gamer urethane before.

Posted:

Advertisement

Ball ratings for their new 2020 lineup. I organized them from most feel and spin to least. Couldn't find the back of the box for the ladies "Empower" ball as it seems to not be available yet.

Posted:
    Post edited by HyzerFlipDG on

Control vs Distance by the boxes would almost make me try the HDistance. Just a tad less spin than the Control but distance all the way up. Will have to try the Gamer and put it against the Control... to see if there is a real distance difference between the 2 with my swing

Posted:

yeah when you look at the boxes it seems you are giving up a lot of distance with the Hammer Control for just a small uptick in the feel and spin ratings as compared to the distance ball. I prefer the soft/feel/control version of a ball because I like a ball that feels softer when hit, but I'd be curious to see how much of a difference there really is. I still think the HC is the closest of all these balls to the D2+ Feel.

I'm also interested to see how much better the gamer is as it's basically the best of everything as far as their ratings are concerned. I should have grabbed 2 boxes during the BOGO a few days ago.

Posted:

I'll have to do more comprehensive testing, but i have 5-6 rounds in with the Hammer Control now and i think it's the better ball and is the upgraded version of the d2+ Feel.

Also I can blindly pick which ball,is which just from feeling them in my hand and picking at the cover with my nails. The HC has a slightly softer cover which is what I was hoping an updated D2+ Feel would have.

Posted:

I noticed no distance loss off the tee between the HC and the new gamer. The HC feels a little softer which I prefer. I am still working on finding the magic putter for it. I putt fine in practice but make nothing on the course. May has been my worst putting month buy 2 putts per round. It is not the ball though because it is very consistent in practice.

Posted:

Advertisement

Do you think the HC spins more on the green than the D2F?

Posted:

Anyone know the compression on the HC? Always felt the D2 was a little firm in colder weather.

Posted:

I had found a compression rating of 80 for the D2+Feel online, but nothing for the Hammer Control yet. Assuming by the way they feel they will be pretty close.

Posted:

Dick's is running the BOGO deal on their 2020 Top Flite Balls until 10pm PT today(except the BOMB ball which is reduced to $15 for the 24 pack). Best time to get these balls as it brings the cost per ball down to about $0.50 per ball for the Hammer Control and the Gamer goes down to under $1 per ball. I think I'm gonna grab 2 boxes of the Gamer to try out. I still have 7 boxes of the Hammer Control on my shelf currently.

Looks like the BOGO applies to the Maxfli tour balls as well. Heard they were a good urethane tour ball for the price.

Posted:
    Post edited by HyzerFlipDG on
  • FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  40WRX Points: 17Posts: 40 Bunkers

I have not played

What about the D2+ Feel? That was a good ball. Didn't Callaway own Top Flite? Did they sell it to Dicks?

Posted:

Advertisement

Looks like they haven't made a new D2+Feel for a while which is why we are thinking the Hammer Control is the updated version of that ball.

DSG owns Top Flite and Maxfli now.

Posted:

I grabbed two boxes of the new gamer and two boxes of the maxfli tour during the BOGO yesterday.

I'll post up some feedback on the gamer vs Hammer Control when I can get out to play again. Nursing a bad forearm and elbow injury so I wont be playing a full size course again for a few more days. Might hit the local pitch and putt at some point soon though.

Posted:
  • FadeFade Members  1343WRX Points: 248Posts: 1,343 Platinum Tees

I can't quite understand why the discussion is about the D2+feel's supposed successor, when the D2+feel is still for sale, at remarkably low cost. I bought a bunch, I consider it an old friend, even though I haven't played it in a while.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/top-flite-d2-feel-golf-balls-15-pack-16tflmtf2016d2fl1gbl/16tflmtf2016d2fl1gbl

Posted:

That would be like people not talking about the Q-Star Tour 3 just because you can still get the Q-Star Tour 2 on sale right now. They will eventually run out and people will need to find a new ball. For me it's the Hammer Control which feels like an improved version of the D2+ Feel. Also DSG has been running a BOGO flash sale one day a week for at least the last 2 weeks. on BOGO sale the Hammer Control is the same price per box as the D2+Feel. my local DSG doesn't have the D2+ Feel available in store anymore so unless I can get free shipping the BOGO on the Hammer Control ends up being the cheaper option as they are fully stocked on them.

They are both great balls, but I think people are interested in figuring out if the D2+ feel ball or that style ball made it into the new 2020 lineup.

Posted:

what is the compression of the new HC?

Posted:

Advertisement

Haven't found that information yet. Going to assume its about the same as the D2+F which is 80 I believe.

Posted:

As I learned from the GamerSoft, DSG is not big on listing ball compression.

Posted:

Yeah I really had to dig just to find the D2F compression rating and it might not even be accurate. Might be a while before we find compression ratings for their 2020 balls.

I will say I played the new gamer and my normal HC at a pitch and putt yesterday and was having a hard time noticing a difference between those two balls. Hopefully playing the Gamer at a full size course might show more differences because right now its not worth the price increase for the Gamer.

Posted:

I agreee that the new gamer and HC are so similar I see no reason to pay for the gamer. These surlyn balls are so durable I doubt I will need another ball purchase this year.

Posted:

Was really hoping the gamer was basically the HC with a softer cover and thus more bite on the greens, but it seems its just a 3pc version of the HC. I'll definitely hit a few during my next round to try and confirm this. Havent done the blind fingernail test yet to see if there is enough difference to be able to tell which one is which. There is enough difference between the D2F and the HC though.

Posted:

Advertisement

HyzerFlipDG, If I felt the D2 Feel was a bit firm. Would the HC feel very good or is it only slightly softer?

Posted:

IMO the only thing different is the slightly softer cover. I think the compression is the same so id say only slightly softer when hitting them.

On a side note I did the blind fingernail test for the Gamer and HC and I could not accurately select one from the other. I was able to do that correctly every time when picking between the D2F and HC.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.