Clicgear vs Bag Boy Quad XL?

larson92 ·  
larson92larson92 Members  94WRX Points: 69Posts: 94 Fairways

I have a Clicgear 3.0 that I am not enamored with. In that past 5 years, I've used it about a dozen times and I normally play about once a month (usually riding), but I've joined a league now that will be playing every week and require walking--so I really want to get my push cart figured out.

My complaints with the Clicgear are:

1. It doesn't hold my Ping Pioneer bag very well. It works a lot better with my old Ogio stand bag. With the Pioneer, the clubs get squished into the cart handle.
  2. The umbrella holder doesn't work well--and I have the extra adjustable one. It's just awkward.
  3. It's complicated to setup and take down. I always have to think through it, and it's awkward.
  4. While I have the drink holder attachment, again I find it awkward and doesn't hold large bottles.

For item 1, I could purchase the Staff Bag attachment, but it's currently only available directly from Clicgear for $28 plus shipping---which is probably $35-40. I've also heard that it makes the setup and takedown even more troublesome. In addition, it sounds like it moves the weight more forward--and since you have to raise the front wheel to make any kind of turn that would make it more tiresome to push.

I can pickup a Bag Boy Quad for $100, which sounds like it might solve many of the issues I have with the Clicgear. Mostly because they are supposed to be super easy to setup and take down, and they hold the clubs more upright than the clicgear.

What are your thoughts?

On a side note, when you talk about side loading your clubs in your bag for a push cart, do you load your long clubs on the right or on the left (when looking into the bag from behind the cart)?

Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn Members  2861WRX Points: 742Posts: 2,861 Titanium Tees

If you can pick up a bag boy quad for $100 you won’t have anything to lose to at least give it a try. On another note I had one and it was a great cart but ended up selling it because I never walked (wish I had kept it). I have a Sun Mountain Sync bag and it fit really well, the bottom of the bag is designed for a SM cart but it locked on the Bag Boy base as well. Due to recent events I decided to go ahead a get another cart a couple months ago and found a Sun Mountain micro cart. They roll and set up very similarly but the storage and cup holder on the Bag Boy is much better. For $100 I don’t think you can go wrong and would make money if you decided to sell it if you didn’t like it.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • larson92larson92 Members  94WRX Points: 69Posts: 94 Fairways

It turns out that the vendor with the Bag Boy Quad XL is a vendor I’ve never heard of, and after some deeper looking found out that the cart is the only golf item they were selling. What’s that saying? If it sounds too good to be true...

With that plus with Clicgear offering free shipping with a $49 order, I decided to try the $28 Tour Bag adapter and buy some other accessories for my Clicgear—like the turning wheel and the 1” segment (for raising the umbrella)—then the cooler tube from Amazon (where it’s $15 cheaper!). Hopefully, together those will mitigate my primary complaints.

So I’ll give the Clicgear another try. :-)

Posted:
  • dwbostondwboston Lefty Boomers  2509WRX Points: 292Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,509 Titanium Tees

I've been using my Clicgear 3.5+ a lot since golf re-opened here in MA. I've had it for years but didn't use it too often since my club makes us use their pushcarts. I went back and rewatched the Clicgear videos on folding/unfolding the cart and it's reduced the awkwardness a lot. I also watched the videos on adjusting the brake and the wheel alignment and I like it much better now. Give the videos a shot.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2 12*, GD AD BB 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 | Miura 52.06 | Miura 56.10 | Miura 60.09
    Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Crescent Neck LH, 34"
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32714WRX Points: 3,010Posts: 32,714 Titanium Tees

I had a CG. Much prefer the Quad XL. Certainly a lot easier to set up and tear down. Small foot print too.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• BigarchBigarch Herrin, ILMembers  640WRX Points: 223Handicap: 5.4Posts: 640 Golden Tee

I'm a Quad user. No regrets. 2 simple steps to set up or put away. Every time I watch someone with a CG going through the setup, I smile. Other big plus is stability. I love getting to a long downhill slope and just letting it go on its own. Never had a tip and crash disaster.

Posted:
    • Driver - Taylormade M1 10.5* Pro Comp 65
    • Fairway - Taylormade M4 16HL* Fujikura Atmos Red
    • Hybrid - Cobra Baffler 5 wood Dynamic Gold R300
    • 4-PW- Callaway Epic 4-P + AW Project X LV 5.5 Shafts
    • Wedges - 56 bent to 55, 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Cleveland Classic Huntington Beach #10 - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Sonar Midsize
  • LukeDonaldsTigerLukeDonaldsTiger Members  383WRX Points: 167Handicap: 19Posts: 383 Greens

Setting up or folding a Clicgear takes literally 10 seconds. I’m really surprised this is a dealbreaker for people.

I have the 3.5+ and my only complaints would be the brake, which can be stubborn when in between locking points, and the overall maneuverability, which might be better in other push carts, but is just the price you pay for outstanding stability.

It’s a testament to the greatness of its design that they haven’t really changed anything major in like ten years. The wide range of accessories is great for us gadget lovers. I’m a believer.

Posted:

WITB 2020:

Mizuno JPX 900 driver/3W

Titleist 910F alt. 3W

Mizuno JPX 850 5W

Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2-iron

Srixon H45 19° Hybrid

Mizuno MP-H5 3i

Mizuno MP-15 irons (4/5/6)

Mizuno MP-33 irons (7-PW)

Mizuno S5/T20 wedges (52°/56°/60°)

Mizuno MP-T105 putter

INESIS Tour 900 ball

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.