2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The perfect bag no one makes

I feel like every company working into the 3.5-5lb range is trying to cram unnecessary features into a bag. they’re putting zippers and pockets and sleeves just in the wrong places. And they are just doing it wrong. This will 100% be my opinion, but if someone made the following bag, it would become the new hoofer of the bag world.

9-9.5in 4 way top, a la SM or flextech, And don’t get fancy on the shape or sizing. Every player will play 4/3/3/4, so build to that“Cloth” pickup handle (see hyperlite) with second at bottom of ball pocket - don’t use rubber, waste of weight2 spine pockets. 1 - velour lined for rangefinder (SM 4.5), 1 ball pocket with internal mesh for tees/small item (hyperlite 2019). If it’s less weight for magnet for rangefinder, great, if not, single zipper. No one needs a range finder sleeve because if you’re walking and get wet, you want to be able to zip it up and get extra protection. Also, less likely for someone to walk over and snatch it. Ball pocket is simple, but essentially use 1oz of mesh to make small internal space for small items. Velcro or pen spot is nice, but we have pockets too. Not a deal breaker. Left side: small pocket with water bottle sleeve, just copy vessel lite. Why does ping do a stupid zipper? Makes no sense. Right side with 2 pockets - 1 full length apparel and 1 water proof valuables. Have cart pass through slot like ogio or hoofer. Don’t need to get fancy with these pockets, people just dump stuff in there anyway, skip the key clips or second mesh spots. If you can sneak in mesh on the outside of the large pocket like SM 4.5 to store rainhood, great, otherwise put it under the hip.on right side, single small D ring for brush, towel string, and umbrella loop I guess. Good straps, just like EZ fit. Maybe ping. But the split straps with that flimsy plastic are a recipe for twisting, and keep it soft. stand mechanism - keep it external so the clubs in the bottom section don’t hold it down. Callaway or sun mountain mechanisms, maybe ping. Carbon fiber let’s with feet, don’t end with just nubs. this is it. The bag everyone here probably really wants. It could easily scale to 6 way, 6lb or 2.5lb for different needs. But this would be the anchor.

did I miss something? Will someone just make this stupid bag already? Jeez

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I don't use a stand bag anymore to walk (I ride or push) but my sync bag is basically perfect. I really have no gripes about it at all.. It has an insulated beverage pocket, a large full length pocket for my gloves, the rain hood and my sun glass case. It's got like 4 other small pockets on the sides that I really don't even use. Has a specific hard shell range finder pocket. Large ball pocket and a smaller one above it for things like extra tees, a wrench, misc stuff. It even has these little stitched on things right below the range finder pocket that holds 4-5 tees. It's got a pencil holder, a velcro patch for a glove, a D ring for whatever... it's extremely well thought out.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have clarified, stand bag above. Cart bags are a different game.
but even @Z1ggy16 you even said there are a ton of small pockets you don’t use. I bet if you thought about it, it could be much better designed and laid out.

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Bag would need to be light with stands. I wish bags had designated pockets. Pocket for only Balls, tees, ball markers, divot repair, Range finder, score card, pencil, phone, keys, etc. I find myself cramming multiple different items into the same pocket and it makes it very difficult to find things. Cooler pocket for water bottle.

My luxury item would be a ball and club washer at the bottom of the bag like you have on the range. Quick scrub, wipe on towel, club never gets dirty. That seems like a pipe dream though..

True, but I travel kind of light. Like... how much stuff do you need to take with you for 3-4 hours? lol

If the pockets weren't there it would just be blank space, I don't think the bag itself would change too much. My old 5.5 was basically only missing a velcro patch for a glove... it didn't have an insulated liner which would have been cool but at that point, you're going to be well over the 5.5lb, and that's already a lot to carry.

I haven't had toooo many brands but out of Titleist, Ping, Cally, & TM... Sun mountain is better than all of them. I never got the Ping hype. I don't think the bags are that awesome and my clubs tangled up all the time. I wonder if some brand would ever make a PXG uber expensive bag that was larger like a 5.5 or even small cart bag but was made of ultra light/thin material to save weight. Maybe some kind of kevlar/carbon fiber weave with all these bells and whistles you want. If you don't abuse a bag and throw it all over the place, you can get 10 years out of it easy, especially if it's made from a super durable material. Paying $800 or more might seem steep but if it lasts you a decade, that's not bad....

Maybe you should start up a company that does this haha.

Yes, I've been searching for. years and no one has made it. @TaylorMadeGolf @VESSEL Golf @PING hit me up if you want a free* consultant. (fee = make the bag and give me one)

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I just picked up a Burton CSX that hits almost all of your wish list. Top design is 5 way, but can easily do 4/3/3/4, insulated bottle slot, cloth handles, cushioned backpack straps, almost your exact pocket orientation, stand mechanism w/feet, towel ring.

My only initial tiny gripe is that the velcro patch is kinda small. Big enough for 1 glove but 2 is a squeeze, and during Texas summers I usually rotate 2 gloves during my rounds so I'll have to be careful to make sure they're both attached securely.

No designated rangefinder pocket, but it's pretty close to offering everything else you listed. And FWIW, it sits nicely on my Clicgear 3.5+ without any extra modifications.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Yeah 4 or 6 way would be cool but as with anything, fragmenting product families costs the company a lot of money. If they think 90% of the market would rather push/ride with a 14 way.. then the other 10% will just need to deal. I really can't think of many riding/pushing centric bags that aren't 14 way these days...

As for the handle, to me it's not a big deal because they have the two little grips on the side of the opening up top to help you lift it up, but I can see your point. Unfortunately I think a) they just didn't leave themselves room for a handle on the front due to the range finder pocket and b) None of the other popular brands like Ping etc have large handles on the front of their cart bags, so it must be thay way for a reason. There's sort of a little loop of material on the bottom one could use to help lift it up if need be. When I'm transporting the bag, I always lay it down so the handle is accessible.

I have the SM 4.5. It does have the features. But it’s definitely not a good looking bag. Make it look slicker.

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I actually just retired my old swift x I think it’s from 2011 with the cobra ultralight Sunday bag. Very nice bag , the top is a little bigger with the 2 dividers vs the 1 on the swift x but overall it seems to be a good replacement for little stand bag. the cobra has 4 pockets vs the swift with 3 and the ez fit strap style vs the x strap but overall I think it’s pretty close