Nikon Coolshot pro issues

Bucketmouth ·  
BucketmouthBucketmouth Members  146WRX Points: 23Posts: 146 Fairways

I have had my coolshot for a few weeks and Im still getting some false readings. Am I just using it wrong? I click the button to turn it on, point it at the target and hold it down until I see the green circle. Is there something different that I should be doing? Last night I hit it and it said 163. My carts GPS read 133. I was about 25 yards inside the 150, so I new I wasnt 163. Why am I getting the weird readings? I shot it several times. Thanks for the help

Posted:

Comments

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX  2226WRX Points: 293Handicap: 15Posts: 2,226 ClubWRX

There could e a number of factors. Does your course or the hole you mentioned have some elevation? Could be the slope adjustment.

all I know is mine works well no issues. Did you buy it new? If yes give Nikon a call

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75 S
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 119 19*, 22*, Project X EvenFlow Blue Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 55*, 60*, Accra 80i
    Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2 blacked out, KBS CT Tour, 355g, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BucketmouthBucketmouth Members  146WRX Points: 23Posts: 146 Fairways

My wife bought it new for my birthday. Im not sure where, Im guessing Amazon. I understand the slope but I still hit my 135 club and ended on the far back of the green, Slope apparently didnt have an effect. Hmmm. I will check with Nikon.

Posted:
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX  2226WRX Points: 293Handicap: 15Posts: 2,226 ClubWRX

Sorry, but no idea.

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75 S
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 119 19*, 22*, Project X EvenFlow Blue Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 55*, 60*, Accra 80i
    Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2 blacked out, KBS CT Tour, 355g, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • Seeking70sSeeking70s Getting Shorter Every Year Members  91WRX Points: 54Posts: 91 Fairways

One Bad Reading? Other Holes? Probably was shooting a tree behind the green.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  3916WRX Points: 362Handicap: 7Posts: 3,916 Titanium Tees

If possible go to a local football field. Stand next to one goal post and shoot the other. 120 yards. Nice easy target. From there pace off 10 yards at a time and take readings. Or if there's a baseball field stand at home plate and measure foul poles and center field - they usually have a sign giving distance in feet. Good luck.

Posted:
  • T-3T-3 Members  155WRX Points: 62Handicap: 15Posts: 155 Fairways

I find that mine doesn’t always lock on quickly. Sometimes it is fine and sometimes it takes a while, or locks onto a tree or something behind the flag that gives an obviously wrong reading. I just release and re-hold the button until it finally locks on. Usually doesn’t take more than 30 seconds, but with a few attempts. This is my first rangefinder, so I can’t really compare, but I’ve used a few others from time to time, and didn’t think they were much better. But I am moderately frustrated by it, overall. The other day at the range I was attempting to shoot a flag at 60 yards and I couldn’t get it to lock, at all. But no problem locking on at 150-250. It’s just finicky.

Posted:

Advertisement

Yes, Thats what I would call it, finicky. Since I purchased it I have had to shoot things three or four times because the readings were not right. Playing a new course stinks because you have to go with what the rangefinder is telling you. I hit a rescue out of a bunker because it said 210. It ended up being 155. Im not trying to bash the unit, I really like it but either Im not using it correctly, or it isnt working properly. Still trying to figure out which it is. hmmm...

Posted:

Just to clarify, besides the occasional random lock on a distant tree that’s obviously wrong, the main problem I’ve experienced is difficulty getting it to lock on at all.

Sometimes I’m sure it’s getting a reading from the pin with an accurate number, but it won’t lock. When it does lock on the pin, however, it has been accurate. I just keep re-pushing/holding until it locks.

If you are getting inaccurate readings when you’re sure it’s locked on the pin, that’s a different issue.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  3916WRX Points: 362Handicap: 7Posts: 3,916 Titanium Tees

That's why I traded in my Nikon Coolshot 20 after only having it a week. Painfully slow to lock on at 175 and beyond. Inside 150 it was quicker but my Bushnell V4 is warp speed faster and reliably gives correct readings.

Posted:

Im going to sell it, I dont have time to screw around with this stuff.

Posted:

Curious what you end up with and how it compares!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members  858WRX Points: 106Posts: 858 Golden Tee

Did u talk to nikon? Any idea how their customer service is?

Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.