Weakest Part Of Your Game, And Plans To Fix It

Mine is wedges right now. It always costs me strokes each round. I need to develop a plan to be more consistent. In the back yard I hit them like a pro, but on the course not as good. I need a lot more practice on the course with them.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GIR. I need to focus on a good preshot routine and visualize my shot. It's a good thing my short game is pretty decent.

Driver:ย  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5ยฐ (10.2ยฐ), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:ย ย TaylorMade M4 15ยฐ,ย Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:ย  TaylorMade Sim2ย 2 Iron Hybrid 17ยฐ, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:ย  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52ยฐ (bent to 50ยฐ)/ย 56ยฐ (bent to 54ยฐ), True Temper S400

LW:ย ย Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58ยฐ DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:ย  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:ย  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

ย 

Depends on the day.

It seems if I am getting one thing working, means I am spending less time on another part.

In general I would say it is lack of focus. I always seem to have one or two shots around that cost me strokes. It might be as simple as being stuck between shots and instead of picking one and just hitting a do some hybrid swing that costs me strokes.

Normally it would be a tie between chipping and putting. I'm actually putting better after changing putters and technique. I'm using a SeeMore Si4 which is just a little shorter than the old belly putters. Combine it with a claw grip and I'm making more putts. Chipping is aggravating. The other day I was 10ft off the front of the green and shanked it down a bank. So I'm using more of a putting stroke now with an iron near the green. But chips 20-30 yards away are still a problem. Even w/o a shank(which is not a regular occurance) I simply do not get the ball close enough to the hole. Bottom line....I suck.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Maxย  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Driving it in play. I was trending in the right direction before the lockdown, but now since coming back I can't figure out how to pick up where I left off. I just never know what is going to happen when I step up there. It's terrifying.

No way to get better at it without practicing more. The more I fail the more I want to get back up and keep going.

Can I say โ€œeverythingโ€? Just kidding, but I have to pick at least two.

Keeping tee balls out of hazards, and Putting. I never knew how bad of a putter I was until I started hitting more greens. My issue with putter is path and too much tilt. It isnโ€™t as easy to fix as it would seem. And the tee ball issue is strange. Of the 14 tee balls not counting par 3s, Iโ€™ll look like a tour player on say 8-10 of them. But then on the other 4-6, Iโ€™ll miss either in a hazard which costs me two strokes, or in a really bad spot that ultimately costs me a stroke or two also. Iโ€™ve tried just about everything. 3 woods and / or irons off the tee. Stingers. โ€œGo toโ€ shots. Fades. My home course only โ€œallowsโ€ for about 9 drivers off the tee. Otherwise you need to hit irons or woods. But I seem to get in trouble with all of them at times. I think what it really boils down to is start lines, and just fixing my path / face angles.

Anyway, Itโ€™s hard scoring when you give up about 6-8 strokes from poor tee shots and then you canโ€™t putt. I start every round with about a 10 stroke handicap from poor tee play and poor putting and then it is a fight to play โ€œparโ€ from there. Oh wait...is that what the handicapping system is for? ?

For some reason I have developed chipping yips from just off the green. Last week in a a 9 hole league round I skulled not one but two chips which led to a bogey and double bogey which ruined an otherwise good round. 5 years ago when I turned 60 I bought a 49 degree Cleveland Niblick. At the time I thought in an unnecessary purchase. It was slightly used, in a nice blue color and a good price. So tomorrow it goes in the bag and using it with a putter grip we will see if it helps.

ย 

Irons and the occasional big miss with the driver. I've been working on both and can overcome those weaknesses when in mid-season form. But, early season and the occasional bad round - they crop up once again.

ย 

The thing that sucks is that I know in both cases it is largely a mental issue.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The most important part of this is the plan to fix the problem, not so much the problem itself. For me, I have two issues which are the most glaring. I have/had the chip yips, and my fairway wood game can be spotty.

Chip yips, for about 3 years I have had them while I worked on trying to change trajectory and spin which I believe caused me to not believe in the shot before pulling the trigger. Soon it was so far in my kitchen i was putting from 20 yards and in. I ground it out on the chipping green starting in the bunker (where i had no issues) to the deep rough, to the shorter rough, etc until i was on the fairway grass just working on getting my chest to the target. I feel as though i am mostly past them and my handicap has dropped from a high of 7 last year to a 2.7 as of this post.

I think my issue with the fairway woods was the AUG (all you got) mentality and not being happy with the comfortable distance and trying to squeeze a little more out of it. One friend described it as me trying to kill a snake before it got away. When i am just playing for fun/practice, i play from the forward tees and drop the ball on the tee box and use my fairway wood exclusively. I have gained confidence, and the shorter distance permits me to focus on path and contact which has worked wonders for my long game. Now my FW are no longer costing me strokes because even my misses are much better than they were.

These were my fixes, and I feel much more confident over the ball when i used to be mortified. Of course, i still screw them up, but it is no longer the deep mental dive. I am able to see them as an anomaly and go about my game with minimal mental disruption unlike before. Hopefully this post helps those with similar afflictions. I would like to say it can be done.

ย 

Approaches into par 5's with hyrbid/fairway. Only shot I have any kind of nerves over (cuz I never hit it). For the last year I've been recovering from an injury and I've been playing conservative. Basically if I can't hit an iron to the green - I lay up to my strength and hit a wedge. As you can imagine I'm making more pars - but fewer birdies this way. But there are times when I should be more aggressive - so that's my goal this year.

I removed a 3w and replaced it with a 5w. The added height and spin gives me more confidence going into a green. It has "maxed out" my approach distance though. The most I can carry that 5w is 260 - so my rule is anything more than that - and I lay up. The average 5's I play are typically in the 540-580 length so this puts me pretty much right in the middle with my current distance off the tee.

Fundamentally I'm working on double checking my ball position with longer clubs. I have a tendency to play it a little too far back at times (being used to playing in the wind here it's a habit). On top of that slower takeaway with more shoulder turn are making a difference

I'm forcing myself to hit more of these shots on course. that's the only way you build confidence with it. Sometimes I even hit less club off the tee to make sure I have to hit a fairway wood into the green to get the reps.

I really need to stop trying to hit "High, Nasty,BOmbs" because they lead to High, nasty lies. I need to forget about distance gains and play to my strengths, boring the the golf course with pars to death.

basically i need to work on a simple Fairway Finder drive and keep using it. Just keep it in the short grass with the driver would be huge for me taking friends coin on the golf course.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5* ย  Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45ย  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PWย ย 

Cleveland 588ย  ย  52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

It's the basic stuff that's hurting me, as my ball striking has been for the most part really good.

Alignment and distance control I would like to get down. Its frustrating when I pure an approach shot, only to have it go right or left of the green, or short or long.

The next part I need to get better at is chipping. After the shots above I always find myself chipping, but I'm not getting as close to the cup as I would like. Mainly it's distance control for me, just need a lot more practice chipping.

My swing is my weakest link but I'm looking at Bobby Jones as a tempo model and Ben Hogan as a mechanics model.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

ย 

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

ย 

ย 

using the Grint to view my stats I would say it's a combo of course management and shot accuracy. The phone app will say if your stats are in range of your handicap. I only hit 31% of my fairways and 11% of my greens averaging 5% on par 3's over the last 10 rounds vs 23% of par 5's. Penalties is also also a killer averaging 6.6 drops per round. Putting and par / bogey saves I am above average which makes up for the above.

Course management wise I need to make tee selections better, not necessarily hitting more fairways but less drops.

Accuracy wise I was in the middle of a lesson package with my coach when the virus hit. We both were in a good place with my backswing position. Just trying to work the transition sequence properly, I have a tendency to slide forward first instead of turning, which result in me coming in with my arms steep and flipping to save the shot. been working on the feeling of starting the transition with a squat and turning around my left leg. When I get it right it's amazing, when I don't well I shot a 96 last week with 4 pars and a birdie, so you can see the ups and down of my game.

Could list a lot of things here lol.

My GIR percentage has got to go up. I have an above average short game, but it gets old trying to get up and down for par on several holes per round when I miss the green.

Mizunoย ST-Z 230 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 60g Stiff

Titleist 917 F2 15* Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff

Tommy Armourย 845 Max 19*ย Tensei Blue CK 85 HY Stiff

Ping i20ย (4-PW) CFS 110 Stiff

Cleveland CBX Zipcore (52* / 56* / 60*) Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g

Mizunoย MCraft V

ย 

Maxfli Tour X

ย 

ย