2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lighter weight iron heads for overlength build

yellowballs

Trying to find out who definitely makes lighter weight irons heads. I've searched (and read) a lot in the forums and I know Mizuno does have "B" heads that are lighter (7-10g?). However, it seems like there is uncertainty about other brands. Does anyone know for a fact whether or not Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, Ping, Cobra, Srixon, Bridgestone, etc. offers lighter clubheads? Doesn't necessarily have to be major brands...I'm open to Wishon's, Maltby's, etc. just don't know much about them. I'm looking for all option(s) on who makes lighter iron heads so that I can get extended clubs ideally in the "D" swing weight range. RIght now all of my irons are in the E range.

I'm 6'5". I have long arms, but my WTF is still almost 40". I want to start with a 37" PW (+1-1/2") and go up in 3/8" increments so long irons aren't so long (3-iron would be either +1/2" or +5/8"). Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Plus 1.5" is a pretty good amount, and then going in 3/8" increments will be different than standard. My gut feeling is Ping will likely be able to handle this request the best of all the major OEM's.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

Anything Ping with the weight inserts can be made light, I figure 1.25" to preserve swing weight, after that in length they will be a little heavier. I've got a plus 2" G410 9 iron that is "only" D8 with a midsize grip and X100 shaft, and a plus 1.75" 6 iron that is "only" D6 and a plus 2.25" Glide 2.0 60WS that is E2. Place an order through their WRX department and you can spec each club's length to ⅛", loft and lie within 0.5º, and swingweight to the point, and they will get most of the set spot on accurate. I'm 6'5" too and like long clubs, and they did this with my G30 years ago and again late last year with my G410's. Full set, varying gaps and swing weights.

Mizuno also offers "B" weight heads for longer-than-standard builds. If I recall correctly, the "B's" are ~4g lighter each. That will not be enough to offset swingweight for +1.5", but it will help

TaylorMade SIM 8* - Aldila Rogue White 60TX

TaylorMade SIM 17* - Aldila Rogue White 70TX

PING G410 Crossover 19* - Project X 6.5

PING i210 4-U - Project X 6.5

PING Glide 3.0 54WS, 60SS - Project X 6.0

PXG One & Done

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

I'm also 6'5" with 40-41 WTF and I have been down this road the dozens of clubs over four decades. My first friendly suggestion would be to re-think building irons that long. PING for decades perpetuated a fitting standard that is frankly absurd -- suggesting someone like me should have clubs that are +1.50 inches AND 6 degrees upright. Totally unhittable. More recently they have changed their fitting chart but it still puts taller golfers into clubs that are longer/more upright than they need. I play my wedges +3/4, my Mizuno blades are +1/2 (I had them built with the standard head weight because I like a heavier head and I use a very heavy grip), and my Mizuno 2 and 4 irons are standard length.. If you look at the pro golfers on tour who are taller, you won't find any with clubs at an inch long or longer. Stuart Cink used to play standard length. Ernie Els +1/4, etc. It's just too hard to middle extra long irons as you get toward the top of the bag. I like your idea of 3/8 increments. I wanted to try that but couldn't get a name-brand manufacturer to play along.

Anyway, if you want lighter, Mizuno B heads are a great option. Ping doesn't make a "B" head but they can modify weights in their clubs that have inserts and weight ports. I have asked Titleist about head weight options multiple times over the years and the answer is always "nope."

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

PXG has the GEN2 irons for a reasonable price currently, you can talk to them on the phone for getting them fit for you and they will get your swingweight for you.

Have several shafts as well. Built for you!

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/legacy/irons.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Here's the thing. A tall guy can only really be measured by another tall guy that knows how to play and what it's like to play as a tall guy. The first big box guy to fit me years ago had fit helped fit my also tall dad. He was tall and played golf, and he knew tall guys could not hit anything close to standard length, or even +1", in short clubs like wedges. You cannot compensate for height by forcing a tall guy to stand closer to the ball, and using a ridiculous unnatural upright swing arc, nor can you compensate for height by forcing a tall guy to bend over more to get down to the level of his too short golf clubs. Although, for the latter, many pros do just that. Of course, not many of them will still play that length and have a good swing and back in their 50's, 60's and 70's. So I use what length for me works in my short clubs, and I've found that to be +2.25" in my lob and sand wedge, and then compress the gaps to the longer clubs to help maintain control. My dad was almost as tall as I am, and was a lifelong +2 HCP when he was playing well. His clubs were almost as long, but he really recognized the need for short clubs to be really long. I can hit a sand wedge an inch or two below my feet without fear of blading it if I'm cognizant of that fact. If my clubs were merely the standard maximum of +1", I'd never stand a chance in hell of doing that. It would be blade city every time. That is a club that is too short. About my lengths...I'm only about a degree upright of standard in the middle of my bag, and that flattens out to standard in my long irons and standard in my really long +2.25" lob and sand wedges. I think lie fitting to compensate for height is a terrible idea. But it's a lot easier for club manufacturers to push than it is to actually make different weight and length clubs for different height golfers.

• Like 1

I agree that I haven't heard of many tall tour pros that use overly long clubs. Although I think I remember reading that Chris Wood on Euro tour and Stewart Cink use +1", but it does seem that most are +5/8" or less. I don't understand how guys that tall feel comfortable over short irons. Maybe it's because they swing them daily and adapt? I don't know? I just know that for me going +1/2" on a PW is nowhere close to feeling comfortable and prevents me from making a good swing. On the flip side I don't think I need long irons that are much longer than standard. Hence my wanting to use 3/8" gaps.

If the average height for a man is 5'11" and the average WTF is around 36" (I'm guessing some here) that means that the length of a standard PW is about the same length as the average WTF. My WTF is 40" so to keep the same ratio as the "average", my PW would need to be close to 40" which is 4.5" longer than standard. I know that is unreasonable, but is it that unreasonable to start with a PW that is +1.5"? I don't think it is, but maybe my logic is flawed. I read a post by Rybo about this and he suggests feeling comfortable with the shortest club first and then going from there. Thanks for the feedback.

Another PSA. Contacted the following:

Cobra - does not make lighter heads. Excluding SL heads

Callaway - rep told me Callaway does make lighter heads, but only for tour/staff pros...not for general public, which sucks.

Titleist - lighter weight heads available in select models T100 and T200.

Still need to reach out to TaylorMade.

• Like 2

I can confirm Callaway. I ordered apex 19 in +1/2" over with x100 and thought they'd be on the heavy side hoping maybe Callaway would use the L heads. They used regular heads and with a tour velvet mid size the 7 iron is d5.5.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

I was hoping the L heads would bring it down to about d3. I don't think there is that much between them but it would make a small difference.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

I bought a set second hand that the seller listed at +1/2" but actually were more like +1". So I can only assume that ordering the clubs over length from the factory was the cause of getting the lightweight head. No there were no marks that I was aware of at the time. Only way I figured it out was by weighing them.

After contacting all of the major OEM's regarding lighter weight iron heads here are the results:

Mizuno - seems to be the easiest to get lighter weight heads as they have the designated "B" heads.

Titlesist - the general public can order the light weight heads in select models

Taylormade - although somewhat vague, it seems like the general public can order light weight heads

Callaway - produces a lightweight "L" head, but only available to pros.

If anyone has any additional information please share.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...