GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

KBS Ctaper x - losing distance

jxd18 ·  
jxd18jxd18 Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters

Hello

I recently bought new irons (PXG 0311t gen2) and had KBS ctaper x put in them. I am now hitting these shorter than my old clubs (Mizuno mp5) that had KBS tour x.

I made the switch because i would balloon the kbs tour x shaft from time to time.

Wondering if anyone has also lost yards with the ctaper x.

Also looking for any shaft suggestions.

Thanks 😀

Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3246WRX Points: 1,369Posts: 3,246 Titanium Tees

C Taper is a very stout and linear shaft. It doesnt really compare to the tour.

Posted:

Epic Flash - 44.75" D2 Pro 2.0 6 TS [Testing: Motore X F1] / 42" D3 Ventus 7 Blue / 41" D3 Pro 2.0 7 / Epic - Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 D2 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5 - X5.5 Shaft Swap SS Mid Slim 2.0

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3716WRX Points: 1,731Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,716 Titanium Tees

That all depends on why you are losing distance, without additional data it is impossible to say for sure. We need launch monitor data (swing speed, ball speed, launch angle, spin, carry and total distance), otherwise its a complete guessing game since you're comparing different irons with different shafts.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1731WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,731 Platinum Tees

Like above said. Need more info. The C Taper is very Low spin so pay attention to spin numbers for one. Try and compare to your old irons if possible.

Posted:
  • jxd18jxd18 Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters

I am getting higher spin numbers with the ctapers than the kbs tour. The ctapers also have a higher trajectory, this makes sense with the higher spin numbers.

Posted:
  • 976-Evil976-Evil Hacker Extraordinaire IFYDKMIGTHTKYMembers  389WRX Points: 164Posts: 389 Greens

You're getting higher spin and trajectory, on C Tapers? They're designed to be lower launch and lower spin than the KBS tours. Could it be the switch from MP5's to PXG's more than the shafts?

Posted:

TM M5 - HZRDUS Smoke Green
    TM M2 3W - 15* - Aldila 125 MST 60
    TM Rescue 2 - 16* - LM stiff
    TM P790 4-PW C-Taper 120S
    TM MG - 54/58
    BM No 2 - Not Made for the Tour

• DNice26DNice26 Members  4258WRX Points: 187Posts: 4,258 Titanium Tees

You may need to just give them a bit of time. The KBS tours are a high balance shaft and the Ctapers are not, so perhaps your timing and release hasn’t adjusted yet...? Just a thought. Maybe strengthen your iron lofts a few degrees...?

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5, Ventus Velo Blue 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade SIM Ti 19, Diamana BF Blue 8X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8X                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Titleist T100S 4 to PW, KBS C-Taper S+                                                                                                                                                                                                      TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)                                                                                                                                                                      Scotty Cameron Phantom 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • serveitup911serveitup911 Members  602WRX Points: 121Handicap: 3Posts: 602 Golden Tee

The shaft is simply a timing device and can have a large effect on your strike and how you swing and deliver the club. Something about the profile is influencing you to deliver more dynamic loft. That could be the balance point of the shaft or the flex profile. You might do well with something that has a softer butt and is not counterbalanced like a DG X100 or Nippon Modus 120 TX. This may help keep you from adding dynamic loft and give you the stability you’re after.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
    Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
    Titleist TS2 17 degree hybrid HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 S
    Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
    Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
    Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
    Ping Sigma G Ketch B
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members  3538WRX Points: 290Posts: 3,538 Titanium Tees

He’s swung rebar that had more life than ctapers.

Posted:

sldr tp 300 series fli hi pcb tours sm7 wh#6

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1731WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,731 Platinum Tees

I would if you are getting more spin and higher launch with c taper they are the wrong shaft for you. That shaft is not for everyone. I think even Kim Braley said it would only fit a small percentage of golfers. I don't think many tour pros use them. They are a different animal.

You could try project X maybe. Less spin than KBS tour and not as brutal as x flex c taper. Provided you get the proper flex..

Good luck.

Posted:
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3716WRX Points: 1,731Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,716 Titanium Tees

I agree with the above posts, the C-Taper is an extremely stout shaft, far more so than the standard KBS Tour, so if you are spinning them more then it is something in your swing/delivery that is causing the problem. What is causing that difference is hard to say, it could be any number of things especially since you're also hitting different irons. If you like the PXGs and want to stick with them, then I recommend purchasing individual shafts for something like your 6-iron and gathering data. I would start by grabbing a KBS Tour X since you have already used the shaft and seeing what difference it makes. If it spins less than the C-Taper then there is something about the shaft that is influencing your delivery and the more data you can collect (dynamic loft, angle of attack, club path, launch angle, average spin) the better.

Some people react to extremely stiff shafts like the C-Taper by trying to help the ball up since the shaft will feel like its not loading compared to the KBS Tour, and that lack of loading can cause you to flip the club more, increasing dynamic loft and spin. Are you a higher speed player with a later release? What sort of clubhead speed and spin numbers are you generating? You have only mentioned "higher" and "ballooning" with regards to spin so it would be good to quantify those adjectives.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.