GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Private jet to Bandon

TechBroker ·  
TechBrokerTechBroker Members  115WRX Points: 16Handicap: 6.3Posts: 115 Fairways

I posted going to Bd in July with my golf group and was just told that one of my close buddies is allowing us to use his company jet.

For those of you who have been up to BD, is it worth taking the jet over going to Portland and doing that drive? I’ve heard the drive is beautiful and there’s lots to do along the way.

Would anyone do the commercial trip with vans (that we are driving) or just go direct?

Posted:

Comments

• jvincentjvincent Members  1718WRX Points: 981Posts: 1,718 Platinum Tees

I've done the drive a couple of times. It is definitely nice, but if you've got the option of flying in private to North Bend do it. You can get in early enough to play the day you arrive.

Unless you are coming from the west coast I'm pretty sure all of the commercial options get in too late for that.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6856WRX Points: 775Posts: 6,856 Titanium Tees

Both times I've gone to Bandon I've flown commercial into North Bend. I've never done the private jet, but I've never flown into Portland either. Portland is still a 4 hour drive from Bandon, so if it's being offered I'd definitely go the private jet route. I don't know if private jets go into North Bend or a different private airfield, but North Bend is about 30 minutes from Bandon, makes a world of difference IMO. The last thing I want to do after a flight (long depending on where you're coming from) is drive 4 more hours.

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3399WRX Points: 468Posts: 3,399 Titanium Tees

This makes no sense...why would it fly to Portland? As mentioned - you could fly direct to North Bend, at minimum Eugene. The drive from Eugene is the nice road trip. The trip from Portland is not that great until you get outside of Eugene.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TechBrokerTechBroker Members  115WRX Points: 16Handicap: 6.3Posts: 115 Fairways

truthfully because I want to full experience and I’ve never been to Oregon. Heard the drive is nice. Albeit we would be in big vans.

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3399WRX Points: 468Posts: 3,399 Titanium Tees

Repeating...the drive from Portland is SHITE! The drive from outside of Eugene along the coast is nice. So if you think this is some sort of "experience", then have at it.....but that is not what I would consider an experience!

Posted:
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

There is no need to fly to Portland....go to Eugene instead...there is FBO there. Flying to North Bend is always questionable, even for private, so do Eugene and enjoy the drive.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • MuffyMuffy 58 T-bird Members  83WRX Points: 49Handicap: YesPosts: 83 Fairways

Most of the private jets fly into North Bend if they can (weather and runway length dependent) so there is still a drive, but at least with private you can be assured your luggage/clubs are on board.

There is a nice former military airport just a couple miles from Bandon, but there is no support and the runway length is more for a prop or turboprop than a jet.

Posted:
  • shackmangolfshackmangolf Members  95WRX Points: 45Posts: 95 Fairways

The benefit of flying into north bend is that you can play the same day you arrive without the hassle of the POS united puddle jumper getting cancelled into north bend. Call Terra at Aviation Transportation and she will transport you to Bandon Dunes plus do a shopping list for you on the way. You will have beers on the shuttle.

The drive is a PAIN in the butt from Portland.

Posted:

Check out the Bandon Solstice Podcast on Spotify or Apple!

Advertisement
  • shackmangolfshackmangolf Members  95WRX Points: 45Posts: 95 Fairways

Plus flying private is so much shorter and efficient. No check in. No circling. Just in and out. It my preferred way to fly to Bandon.

Posted:

Check out the Bandon Solstice Podcast on Spotify or Apple!

• CDMCDM Members  2094WRX Points: 303Posts: 2,094 Platinum Tees

If you come from Denver and do the drive (yes 4 hours and debatable if shite or not....) you can still get an afternoon round in during the summer months. You land in Portland around 8:45 So you end up there 1:30 - 2:00 ish

Not sure your thoughts but if you want to see the coastline then Portland to Oceanside is 1.5 hrs. Oceanside to Bandon is 4 hours driving the coast. I have not done it this way but some friends who went out from Denver a couple years ago did. They were not playing the day they flew in so landed and went over to Oceanside and took a "slow drive" from Oceanside to Bandon. As I recall a 3.5-4 hour drive coast turned into a 8-9 hours or more.

They stopped to see some the local sites, try the local food places, local beers, etc. Said they BS'd with a lot of cool locals and learned something about areas on the way down. They had never driven the coast even having been to Bandon a few times so figured why not this time.

Posted:
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members  584WRX Points: 159Posts: 584 Golden Tee

"I’ve heard the drive is beautiful and there’s lots to do along the way."

If you can think of lots to do that is more fun than extra holes at Bandon be my guest.

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer Members  8893WRX Points: 1,327Posts: 8,893 Titanium Tees

"My boss is going to fly us to Bandon on the company plane. Wait, the shareholders are attacking him in the parking lot! Never mind."

Posted:
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members  1910WRX Points: 277Posts: 1,910 Platinum Tees

Take the private jet ride that is being offered. Unless you are already one of the 1% who can regularly enjoy such a luxury,, who would refuse that kind of opportunity? If your buddies are taking the jet, are you really going to want to be the one oddball who decides he is going to skip it and travel alone? You can always take the long drive on a future trip where the jet isn't being offered. With the jet you'll probably go into North Bend and you'll save enough time to get in more golf unless your buddy has you on a compressed schedule.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members  799WRX Points: 494Posts: 799 Golden Tee

You will get plenty of majestic Oregon views at Bandon. Fly into North Bend (commercial or private.)

Posted:
  • az2auaz2au Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NYUnregistered  2302WRX Points: 463Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,302 Platinum Tees

North Bend is a massive PITA commercial. We used it once but I'll never use it again as I've had too many friends have travel plans screwed up out of there. I'll always go Eugene commercial and will beat people going to North Bend 99% of the time.

If I were flying private I'd risk North Bend though. Too easy to make it work as the SFO fog factor is gone.

Posted:
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members  799WRX Points: 494Posts: 799 Golden Tee

Interesting. We flew commercial into North Bend without a hitch.

Posted:
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

North Bend is just so unpredictable for commercial flights that you can't count on it...much better to fly to Eugene and make the drive. It's an easy, pleasant drive.

Good point above that flying private you will have flexibility and up to date info about North Bend conditions, so if clear, flying there is best.

Posted:
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star

Advertisement
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1518WRX Points: 305Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,518 Platinum Tees

Have gone into North Bend a couple times from SFO and although with fog it is a risk without many flights a day, my backup plan was I always booked with UA miles one to North Bend and another to Eugene. With status you can cancel one and take the other with no penalty. I really like the North Bend airport as well, really new and modern in a quaint setting. Of course you aren't getting widebody jets either into OTH so you have to be ok with small planes.

Certainly wouldn't think flying private is needed at all. Very few places I could justify flying private as a need.

Posted:
  • JunglelandJungleland Members  624WRX Points: 124Handicap: 9Posts: 624 Golden Tee

The next dilemma is Grey Poupon or Gulden’s mustard, decisions, decisions, decisions .......

Posted:
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members  6934WRX Points: 1,128Handicap: XX.5Posts: 6,934 Titanium Tees

"Excuse me do you have any Grey Poupon."

"But of Course."

'And please throw the other yellow stuff out the window.'

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    MG ball
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members  6934WRX Points: 1,128Handicap: XX.5Posts: 6,934 Titanium Tees

The drive along the coast is amazing. Lots of places to stop and take a zillion photos.

That said if you can fly into Brandon I sure would.

Sounds like, if there is a next time, that you probably would not be taking a private jet. You can do the 4 hour drive then.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    MG ball
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1895WRX Points: 441Posts: 1,895 Platinum Tees

Take the private jet to NB

After the third hole of your first round, you'll wonder why you ever even considered spending extra hours in the car driving.

Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5612WRX Points: 610Posts: 5,612 Titanium Tees

Is your buddy allowing the pilot to hang out with you all week(end) or are they leaving and coming back to get you on a different day?

You could always reserve a rental vehicle to be ready for your return trip. Fly in on the corpjet, and drive home up the Oregon coast to Seaside, Astoria-ish and then east to Portland for a commercial flight home. You can also get to Bandon via Roseburg and tour a bunch of wineries down there, and hit the ones to the south/southwest of Portland on the way home.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3727WRX Points: 716Posts: 3,727 Titanium Tees

is there a pilot with the plane?

Posted:
    SIM 10.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD
    Cobra LTD PRO 
    EVO III FUJI/ Graffaloy Blue
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    Adams XTD TI Hybrid 21-23*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    SC Newport 2.6
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

There will always be two pilots, and part of their job is to find a comfortable hotel nearby and pass the time. That is usually what happens.

Posted:
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star

Advertisement
  • DLiverDLiver Members  2863WRX Points: 327Handicap: 2.2Posts: 2,863 Titanium Tees

There are several airports that you could fly into that are closer to Bandon than N. Bend. I don't know what the transportation situation would be at each of these (or FBOs for that matter), but your pilots are definitely going to know the best nearby options for you--and it might not be N. Bend.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.