I hate golf attire

I said it, now everyone can flame on. Why can't golf be like every other sport in that what you wear is not enforced at the lower levels of play? Wearing a collared shirt (and sometimes slacks) in 90* F temps while walking 18 is absurd! I'm lucky in that my home course is a muni and generally don't have to worry about it, but I really feel this is one of those things that need to go by the wayside. I'm not saying you can't wear the slacks and the collared shirts, just don't make it mandatory. To be honest, I believe it is a put off for new people to the sport as well.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Stay at the ragged out munis and wear whatever you like.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

So you obviously said it to get the attention, lol.

I am confident the Rules of Golf don't care what you wear. You don't want to wear pants, who the heck cares. Not that many "lower levels" of play require them.

90% I'm in jeans or white denim-ish cargo shorts but could care less if some other place I don't play has a different set of rules. Happy to wear golf pants if required and even do at home when temps are over 70 -- modern fabrics aren't hot and keep my legs from getting skin cancer.

Hmm, maybe... I didn't really think about getting attention as the motivation for posting my mind on a forum, but... What I really don't like is the stuck up, I'm better than everyone else, narcissistic association with golf. And golf attire and the many courses strict adherence to it, helps keep that stereotype alive. This is not directed at you btw, maybe the poster above you, don't know him/her, but seems to fit the bill. Like I said, some people feel comfortable in slacks and a collared shirt, I'm not of those people. And when I walking 5 miles and exerting myself, I would like to be comfortable. Anyway, I love golf, it is my obsession during the months I can play. I just don't see the point in the clothes.

In the bag

As a high school basketball official and local association rules interpreter, I have to ask you to define "lower level" play. Even in elementary school leagues we enforce fashion police rules. Perhaps you meant pickup ball as lower levels, aka non sanctioned.

As mentioned, RoG doesn't have fashion police rules.

For the collared shirts, that's why they invented drifit/climacool type shirts. They make very light almost silk like pants.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

How bad can it be? With today's materials and fabrics golf clothes can feel like pajamas, and you can get them at PGA Superstore for $20 each for shorts and a shirt. I am sure there are a few clubs that make folks wear pants but that is like .000002%.

Did you just pop out of the 80's or are you so nostalgic you are still wearing heavy cotton Lacoste shirts and military weight brushed cotton slacks with your mullet?

Welcome to 2020.

• Like 2

Oh, I remember the fashion police rule of having to wear slacks with a button up shirt and a sports jacket to school on the days of my tennis matches. But on the court I was in athletic clothes. As to the technology of new fabrics. Yep, they are definitely better than even 10 years ago, but I still sweat through my UA polo's in 5 holes. And let me tell you, a soaking wet polo isn't comfortable at all.

But again. I don't care what other people wear, it just shouldn't be required.

In the bag

In over 35 years playing and working at golf courses, I've never been uncomfortable dressing appropriately at a golf course. There are NO golf courses in the United States that prohibit wearing shorts while playing.

I just don't understand why people find it necessary to look like a slob all of the time.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Yep, just because you have never been uncomfortable in "proper golf attire" means that nobody else has.

And, I don't find dressing in athletic clothes to be dressing as a slob. My attire is neat, no tears, the collars are not wore out or stretched out. They are just comfortable, easy to move in, and aren't as heavy when soaked. Would I go out to eat in athletic clothes? No, but I'm also not running around the restaurant working up a sweat either. Maybe you guys don't sweat, maybe you don't walk in 90+ heat.

In the bag

When my knee and back ain't killing me, I'm walking and wearing pants and usually in all black if playing with others. I love the aren't you hit in that comments.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The man in black, I like it. Not quite getting the "I love the aren't you hit in that comments" remark. Anyway, new shirts can be as light weight as they can be, it doesn't stop that being a second layer for me.

Why a second layer?

I don't like pit stains in my expensive polos.I don't like my chest hair popping out of the one button I leave undone. I don't really like to argue much, generally no purpose is achieved as people stick to their opinions strongly. As to this topic, I'm pretty adamant, the attire is uncomfortable and I view it as elitist. Which is something I have severe negative reactions towards.

In the bag

LOL, maybe I misunderstood "now everyone can flame on". And then all the elitist accusations.

I like to be comfortable as well, as I said, and get plenty of comments pro and con on here just mentioning wearing jeans any time and cargo shorts.

I also enjoy nice golf pants and the same collared shirts I wear with jeans or shorts - so now I'm elitist because I'm wearing what you consider to be uncomfortable clothing?

As stated, and I'll repeat, my nice golf pants are plenty comfortable and breathable - but put me over 80 degrees with humidity and it's shorts all the time and the shorts I wear can be worn probably at 95%+ of the courses in the U.S. and even at courses in the cradle and birthplace of golf (aways exceptions).

Within whatever the rules of the course permit my credo is you wear what you want and I'll wear what I want and who cares.

If I understood you correctly, YOU attribute what someone wears to being a certain type of person. LOL Someone could say that about you too. If you want to dress a certain way, fine. Simple, stick with golf courses where your choice of clothes is acceptable, and you'll be among others that dress that way too. The course or club leadership defines the dress code and everybody should adhere to that code or play elsewhere.

I like being dressed comfortable for golf, that means nice shorts or slacks and shirt. If I chose to visit muni where dressing down is acceptable, I accept how everyone may be dressed. However, if I am at an upscale course, I expect people to be dressed more appropriately. Where we're different, if you drive a junker or play old warrior clubs I am not going to assume anything about your character other than you haven't spent money on your car or clubs. However, when a person opens their mouth, all bets are off.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Are you elitist because you wear nice slacks? No, at least I don't think so. I assume making that statement would have me calling the kettle black. I don't care what other people wear on the golf course, it could be a $1000 suit, have at it. If you want to wear your golf pants out, ok. I've wore mine out and to work plenty of times. To be honest, they are more comfortable than the normal slacks I wear to work. A little tight in the legs, but they stretch and feel pretty smooth.

I think what really started this rant was the round of golf I played on Memorial day. I played a course I had never played before and when I made my tee time I was told proper golf attire is required. I didn't think anything of it, I've been playing for a few years and have amassed quite a collection of proper golf attire. But the first 90* day of the year had me soak and wet by the end of 18. I pulled off my polo as soon as I was done putting so I only had my athletic undershirt on, and wouldn't you know it, as I walked by the club house on the way to my car some employee had to say something. Needless to say, I was not very nice to said employee and I will not ever return to that course. This incident got me really thinking about "golf attire" and if it was really necessary, or just some outdated custom. I just don't understand the need for it at any public golf course. I won't touch on the private courses.

In the bag

Nope. I attribute being told I have to dress to an appropriate level as elitist, especially to take part in a recreational activity where I will sweat. Again, I don't care what other people wear, or drive, or what clubs they play for that matter. Call me a non conformer if you want. You are using the round as a business endeavor, sure wear something nice. You want to look smart cause that is the type of person you are, hey, by all means. But that isn't me. I'm not advocating going topless, or wearing clothing that has tears and stains and holes in it. Just let me be comfortable in my own way.

In the bag

The clubs that require pants don't want you there. Just understand that and move along. Being mad about it does nothing.

Wearing appropriate attire shows a respect for the course and the game and helps set an air of responsibility to help cut down on the BS.

Most people don't ask for a High Life at a black tie affair.

Really weak threshold for someone being "elitist." And there's a real irony in you using a derogatory term for everyone else who follows rules that you don't think should apply to you. It's kind of... Elitist.

But, honestly, who plays golf in TWO shirts when it's hot out? You know that that's not how moisture-wicking fabrics work, right? That just makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 2

I play all over my home state including many private clubs- and wear shorts at all of them.

Must just live in a state that has universally lower levels of play.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant