2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wide forefoot but narrow heel golf shoe?

Love my Nike Tour Premiere's but I find the toe box area a little bit crowded, especially as the round goes on, I start to get a little pain in my pinky toe. However, I have a pretty narrow heel so most "wide fit" shoes don't work for me. Think of my foot like a slice of pizza. Props if the shoe has some kind of spike system. I've pretty much tried every shoe on and I just haven't found my Goldilocks fit yet. The Premiere's have been the closest.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain. I wear between a 9.5 and 10 extra wide, but I typically have to compromise. In order to get the toe box wide enough, most shoes are either too long, or too wide in the heel.

I tried everything. Nike, Footjoy, Adidas, Puma, Ecco, Skechers. At least 20 different brands/models.

Currently wearing Skechers Go Golf Elite V3.0, which have surprised me. They aren't perfect, but I'm pretty happy with them.

Other shoes that made the final list that you might want to check out:

New Balance Striker. This was almost the winner. I did pick up a cheaper pair of NGB1701 for a spiked backup when its wet here in FL.Puma Ignite ProadaptEcco BIOM Hybrid 3Adidas Adipower 4orged (or the 4orged S spikeless)True OriginalHope this helps, and good luck!

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

9.5 extra wide. I liked them a lot. Plenty of room in the toe, good lateral support, the proper width-to-length ratio.

The thing that crossed them off the list was a weird one. The back of the heel is lower than on many other shoes. I wear an insert with arch support, and because of the raise in my heel, it wasn't "cupped" properly. So my right heel kept lifting during the downswing. I couldn't get past it; never felt secure as I moved from transition through the downswing.

I compared them side-by-side to my old Footjoy Contours, the current Skechers and the other New Balance (1701). You can see that the top of the heel box is at least 1/2 an inch lower. Not sure why, but as a result I returned them.

My main issue with the Pumas was the same thing - lower back of the heel led to heel lifting during downswing. I really liked them otherwise.

The Sketchers are definitely lighter than my Contours or the Striker. And I don't think they are as stable. But I've been to the range a handful of times and played a round since I got them, with no complaints. And other than a slip or two (user error), I haven't experienced any major issues with traction. We'll see if that continues as we head into rain season.

I see. Well that wouldn't be an issue for me as I don't use orthopedics or a heel lift, although I probably should. At one point I did use them in my golf shoes but it gave me big time blisters.

I switched out of spike-less because my feel were always slipping. On ball above or below feet... on anything damp I had 0% confidence in my old spike-less Puma shoes... Not sure I can go away from spiked anymore, these Nike's grip really well. Plus I swore I read an article that said players were gaining speed while using more "firm" outsoled shoes fitted with spikes or some kind of spike system compared to the more "running" style spike-less.

Haha I play hockey as well and I have True's because literally no skate has fit my foot since the OG Vapors from the early 2000's. Anything narrow would crush my toes but fit my heel perfect, and anything wide would fit my toes great, but my heel would be swimming.

I might try and grab a pair of the React Vapor 2's because I did have a pair of lunar control vapor 2's that fit really well and I assume the fit is going to be similar. Going to also order up some Ecco shoes on Prime Wardrobe and see what all the fuss is about.

I have the same foot and have had a heck of a time finding shoes. I’ve tried just about every brand and the wide widths are too narrow in the toes and my heel slips out when I walk. Until recently. Puma Ignite PWRADAPT Caged changed everything for me. The first pair I sent back because the wide width was too wide. Regular width were perfect, no more toe pain. I walk 95% of my rounds as well. They are spiked also which I like. Word of caution though, they run about one-half size large.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I hear great things about Trues. Surprised you never tried mako when Easton was still around. After trying on a ton of skates when I got back into the game around 10 years ago, everything was so different than I’d remembered(last time I played prior to that was some college club hockey I’m the late ‘90’s). Funny enough, I was always a Bauer guy and never thought of trying Graf, and now I feel like nothing fits my foot as well as the -35 fit(735, G35, etc), plus I’m one of those rare birds who actually loves the Graf holders.

Anyways, before you check prime wardrobe for Ecco, check shoes.com as they’re always running a 25-30% off coupon along with 5-15% cash back if you go through Rakuten.

Good luck!

Puma caged is the ticket, have same issue as you, been fighting different Nike models for years

I have the disc and laced versions, sweet shoes, even had to send the wide back and get normal width

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

It seems like the Ecco Biom or the True Linkswear should work. I prefer both of those to any Nike or Footjoy I’ve recently tried, and the newer Skechers seem to all be following the Footjoy model of pointed, narrow toe boxes.

I also like the Ecco and TL for the lower drop. To me it feels much more natural than the higher heels that are on most other shoes.

drn92

I did have Mako's prior to True's.. I wasn't willing to throw down $$ for VH skates when he was making them based off a stencils and pictures haha. Before that I stayed in those OG vapors for a loooong time.

Do the Ecco's run standard size? For most shoes I take an 11 but I see their sizes are either 10-10.5 or 11-11.5? Everything in EU tends to run small since us Americans are fatties are I'm leaning to go 11-11.5?

I've worn various Ecco’s over the years and I find the Biom Hybrid 3 and Biom G3 fit a bit on the large side. I tend to fit in size 7.5 for Nike and in between 7-7.5 in Adidas and I’m currently in a size 7 UA Hovr Drive which fit perfect. In Ecco Biom, 40 is too big while 39 fits but is a tiny bit snug on me. But generally I go between 39 and 40 in all Ecco footwear including non-golf.

@Z1ggy16 I think Ecco's run on the smaller side, and would try the 11 if I were you.
I tried the Hybrid 3 but just couldnt get the right fit. The 10-10.5 is a European size 44. The 9-9.5 is a size 43
I wear 9.5 extra wide in my Skechers. My old Footjoy Contours and the New Balance Striker were both 10W. In European sizes this works out to a 43.5.
The 9-9.5 were too small with the insert in; they fit when I took the insert out, but then I would have very little padding under the foot. The 10-10.5 were the right width, but too long. I gave up on Eccos after that...

I ordered a few pair on Amazon Wardrobe... I forget what, but not Ecco. Unless they fit my foot like a dang glove, I proobbbbably am not going to spend $250 on a shoe I'll wear 1-2x per week. Usually keep my shoes to $150 or less. If none of those work...I may try an older pair of the Nike Reactor Vapor 2 for like $70 or maybe the new Nike ZIT although I hear they run a bit narrow...

I have the same issue. The Nike Lunar Control 4 were a good fit for me, so i stocked up and stocked up again and again.

Few months back I found that the new Asics Gel Course Duo Boa are a pretty good fit as well.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Everyone's a bit different, but I found every Nike released since the LC4 to be narrow. For a while, i was buying new stock of LC4s on eBay every other month, just in case i couldn't find anything. The current Adidas 360 XT was pretty close, which surprised me because in the past I have never been able to fit into an Adidas, but I heard a podcast where the Adidas guy said they used a wider last this year. I was so relieved when I found the Asics.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I've tried the XT's on... obviously I didn't keep them for whatever reason (I forget, I think heel slippage). Most Adidas stuff either crushes my feet but if fine in the heel, or is just too wide in the entire foot. Going to maybe give the Zoom Infinity a try once I can find my size... I have flyknit running shoes and they are snug but that material kind of expands and shapes to my foot. I really like them.

Ecco or Asics.

Your feet are like mine, and Nike and FootJoy will cripple you after walking 18 holes. I haven't worn the Asics golf shoes, but I've run in Asics for 40 years, and they're cut like Eccos. Ecco golf shoes are perfect for that type of foot, and you can take them out of the box and walk 18 holes and feel great the whole time. The Biom Hybrid 3's are the best shoes I've ever owned, golf or otherwise.

So... I just tried the Adidas 4orged, New Balance LinksSL and New Balance Striker. All of them fit my fore foot great, but the heel was still slipping. The closest were the Striker's but when I went back to compare how "normal" shoes fit/felt, it was still not a snug fit. Time to return these... Guess I'll try the Ecco's. If those don't work... Hopefully those Flyknit Zoom Infinity Tour shoes come out to the public soon, because I suspect those would fit, even if narrow. It sounds like they stretch a lot.... and I've got some Flyknit running shoes already that I really like.

Try the puma caged, probably want 1/2 size down

if you need a wide toe box, forget those new Nike, think they are done anyway

if you have Prime, you can try free for a week

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I'm on my second color for the Caged. I walk 3-4 rounds per week and have had my first pair for 2 months. Haven't lost a spike yet. Like I mentioned before, the wide was the first time I sent back a pair because they were too wide. Regular width fit my extremely wide toes quite well.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

• 2 weeks later...