GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

What's the deal with Spider putters?

Lefty_3Jack ·  
Lefty_3JackLefty_3Jack St. LouisMembers  1636WRX Points: 180Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,636 Platinum Tees

I know I'm like 10 years late to the game, but what is it about these putters that has so many pros using them? Seems like it's either a lot of marketing dollars or all of us not using one is a fool.

Posted:
In search of solid contact...

Comments

• LiveonceLiveonce Members  57WRX Points: 23Posts: 57 Bunkers

I have one, it’s a nice putter but I put it up for sale. One mans trash is another’s treasure

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3420WRX Points: 831Handicap: +0.6Posts: 3,420 Titanium Tees

... When they first came out and so many Pro's switched almost immediately, I rolled one at the PGS SS on 2 separate visits for a good 15 minutes each time. Couldn't miss. Most accurate putter I ever demoed. Bought one and on my first round at the course it was just horrible. I have an 8802 style putter and it is all I have ever used. On fast carpet and every putt straight the Spider was flawless. But on slower greens with breaking putts I had no feel at all, and lag putting which is usually a strength, was all over the place as distance control was abysmal. I could not sell it fast enough.

Posted:
    Cobra Xtreme 9* Tour Length ... Tensei Pro Orange 60s
    Cobra Speezone 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hybrid ... KBS 80Hys
    4-w Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage Tini 105's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"
  • farmerfarmer Members  8844WRX Points: 1,228Posts: 8,844 Titanium Tees

^^^^ As a stuck at home Covid boredom experiment, I bought a really nice looking Odyssey Works putter. Best feeling carpet putter ever. Took it to the course, and it was awful. Luckily, Cally Pre-owned allows returns, and back it went.

Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3610WRX Points: 466Handicap: +1Posts: 3,610 ClubWRX

They all sit open to me. I can't seem to get along with them.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM driver 
    TaylorMade  M6 3 wood
    Mizuno JPX 850 2* hybrid 
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW
    TaylorMade HiToe 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members  770WRX Points: 455Posts: 770 Golden Tee

Very stable and the Pure Roll insert just flat-out puts a good roll on the ball. I replaced my Newport 2.5 with a Tour Spider Black after testing it. Thought the Spider was hard to look at, but loved how it rolled the ball. Tried to go back to my Newport 2.5 once. Once.

Now I have a Spider X.

I know several good players who improved their putting by moving to a Spider. Most common comment I hear is “it almost feels like it swings itself.”

Posted:
  • MattM97MattM97 Members  1446WRX Points: 645Posts: 1,446 Platinum Tees

I just think the stability of it makes it appealing for many and for me it's one of the few mallets that isn't ugly, I'm talking SpiderX for that. I don't have one but wouldn't mind adding one for when my putting goes belly up.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Ping G410 LST - 13.5° - Aldila 2KXV Green 75X
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Tensei CK Orange Pro 90TX
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Callaway MD4 Raw 56° - Callaway PM19 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer 

Instagram:

Advertisement
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3827WRX Points: 730Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,827 Titanium Tees

Just bought another one. This time the OG Black one without a siight line. I have owned multiple versions of the Spider head(s)

• JDay Red twice
    • Face-Balanced with sight line once
    • Spider Mini
    • DJ black

The appeal to me has always been the no sight line. Not a lot of mallets that offer this. The red ones were always a bit too soft for my liking so I always sold them again. Hopefully the black is better.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

• sociojejesociojeje Members  87WRX Points: 49Posts: 87 Fairways

I have one of older models though I don't use it on course. In terms of feel, it is one of the best soft feeling (much better than my current bettinardi putter). I still put better with the spider but the peeled paint often distracts me too much... But I can certainly see myself going back to any spider someday.

Posted:
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7879WRX Points: 351Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,879 Titanium Tees

I’ve had three Spiders and really liked them but I love putters that I can pick up the ball with. 😂

I’m sure I’ll have a 4th one before the season ends. 🤔

Posted:
    Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
    TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    TP5x Pix

WITB Link
  • jsnjsn Members  40WRX Points: 42Handicap: 12Posts: 40 Bunkers

as someone who had a black spider, sold it and gamed a variety of blades for a season, and now owns a spiderX my biggest pro for these putters is i can make nearly any stroke with it and still get a consistent roll. it really allows me to get out of my own head and forget so much about the mechanics, and instead just try to make putts.

Posted:
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members  717WRX Points: 114Posts: 717 Golden Tee

I had a tour red with no sight line. Played well with it for 6 months then struggled as the greens speeded up. The quality was shocking though - kept a head cover on it, looked after it really well and the black paint round the insert still chipped off.

Switched back to a blade putter and have putted even better since switching back and that’s 18 months ago. It’s all down to the individual.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G410 4-UW
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

Advertisement
  • LiveonceLiveonce Members  57WRX Points: 23Posts: 57 Bunkers

I have a copper Spider X if anyone is interested. Practically giving it away

Posted:
  • goaliedad30goaliedad30 Members  57WRX Points: 91Handicap: 4Posts: 57 Bunkers

I putted with a Scotty Cameron Newport for close to 20 years. I was OK, but not good; certainly not good enough. My wife bought an original black Spider; I tried it out, and found that inside of 10 feet, I was making tons more putts. I bought a Spider X (copper), spent practice time with it, and now putting is a huge strength. I rarely 3 putt, rarely have more than 2 feet for a second putt, and from 8-12 feet, I'm making a ton more than I ever did. It's consistent, I can stroke it cleanly, and the putter head stays square to the line.

The only thing I think about now when putting is "set the putter square to the line" and "follow through".

Posted:
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3720WRX Points: 669Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,720 Titanium Tees

That's pretty much how I describe it. I have 2...both plumber's neck hosels...diamond silver with a sightlines and this one that I bought a couple of weeks ago because I wanted no sight line.

They're just really forgiving and they have toe hang options. Just really good putters.

Posted:
  • flaghunting1987flaghunting1987 Members  99WRX Points: 54Posts: 99 Fairways

Just can't get myself to pay $350 for a putter...

Posted:
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7879WRX Points: 351Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,879 Titanium Tees

It is a lot of money, but you do use it more than any club in your bag.

Posted:
    Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
    TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    TP5x Pix

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • TheRavenTheRaven Members  102WRX Points: 42Handicap: 10Posts: 102 Fairways

I think the extreme heel toe weight distribution is really effective. I never transferred over because I'm a bit of a Ping fanboy and went with the Ketsch, The Spiders really are nice though.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G25 10.5°
    4w: Ping G25 16.5°
    3h: Ping G25 20°
    4i-U: Ping i20
    Wedges: Ping Glide 54° & 58°
    Putter: Ping Anser Remake BeNi / Anser TR1966 / Ping Ketsch Mid Cadence TR
    Ball: Snell MTB Black

This I always laugh at, the putter should be technically the most expensive and best fit club because of how many times it's used a round. But often it's the cheapest and never fit for clubs in the bag.

But $500+ drivers? Yearly purchase.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.

Instagram:

• cane700cane700 Members  2031WRX Points: 140Posts: 2,031 Platinum Tees

The Spider Tour Red with no sightline was an epiphany for me. I was a diehard Seemore player before that. Something about it just works.

Posted:
  • alecfeltmanalecfeltman AMF Members  1729WRX Points: 176Handicap: 4Posts: 1,729 Platinum Tees

I just got one (slant neck; chalk color). I couldn't be happier.

Coming from Scotty Newport 2 which is a total change in style, weight, etc. Sometimes you need to put ole' trusty away and teach them a lesson. Problem is, I love this spider x that the scotty may just sit in the corner for a while.

One complaint is that I cant pick up the ball with the putter. Besides that, all good.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 9: MRC Tensei CK Pro White 60TX
    Taylormade SIM 3-15: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Taylormade SIM 5-19: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-PW: DG X100
    Taylormade Hi Toe 50, 54, 59 DG Tour Issue S400
    Taylormade Spider X Chalk
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members  717WRX Points: 114Posts: 717 Golden Tee

Completely agree. The amount of people at my club that question why I bought my current putter for that price makes me laugh, yet these same people spend £400 a year on a new driver for those 8-10 shots they hit a round and many of them don’t even get fit for their drivers!

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G410 4-UW
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

Advertisement

Exactly I try and make my wedge game and putting the best part of my game. Why? Well I'm not great at golf right now, but if I can stay at 2 putts per hole or less with a few up and downs my scores are gonna drop super fast.

I can have a bad day with my driver and generally get on just fine with my 3W or long irons but a bad wedge and putter day? I might as well go home or get drunk if I'm not driving.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Instagram:

• wiillwiill Members  7WRX Points: 25Posts: 7 Bunkers

I would game one if their paint finish wasn't so awful - it's not limited to the Spiders though - I had an Ardmore 3 in red and it chipped like mad (and I made sure to look after it)

Posted:
  • MattUtahMattUtah Members  117WRX Points: 61Handicap: 10Posts: 117 Fairways

The Spiders are just about the best putters out there lately but I also really wish they would up their quality of the paint finish.

I will say though Ive been pretty pleased with how my Spider S is holding up. The milled aluminum head seems to do better than the steel spider X so far.

Posted:
  • mrward5mrward5 Members  11WRX Points: 7Posts: 11 Bunkers

I just got my navy spider x and love it! I did have a question, I was supposed to receive a navy superstroke TM branded pistol 1.0 to match head and grip I received is a royal blue version (looking nothing like picture from their custom shop). Has anyone else experience TM putting wrong grip on for a custom order? I have already reached out to customer service but just curious.

Posted:
  • mrward5mrward5 Members  11WRX Points: 7Posts: 11 Bunkers
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • kreinielkreiniel Members  6WRX Points: 8Posts: 6 Bunkers
    Posted:
  • Lefty_3JackLefty_3Jack St. LouisMembers  1636WRX Points: 180Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,636 Platinum Tees

Wow lots of responses. Putters seem like a club that you need to be fitted to more than just about any club so I'm hesitant to just grab one to try it out. I currently play an Edel Torque Balanced ED-1 with a double bend shaft and three alignment lines. I can find a single bend shaft, but not double bend ones.

When looking up what double bend shafts accomplish it sounds like they are for "less arc'ing" strokes so maybe a center shaft would work, but I've messed with them before and I push a ton of putts with them. It also seems the more alignment aids you have the more likely you are to aim to the pull side. Is that correct? When I did the Edel fitting I consistently aimed to the pull side and setup closed. Doing some work lately that is still the case 4 years later.

Posted:
    In search of solid contact...
  • flaghunting1987flaghunting1987 Members  99WRX Points: 54Posts: 99 Fairways

Ha and I caved...just got the spider X in navy. Face balanced

Posted:

Advertisement
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  409WRX Points: 180Handicap: 14Posts: 409 Greens

the truth is each club or putter fit every individual better or not but a few great clubs ever made can fit alot of people more easily. I have a copper spider x and there are multiple things that are great to me with this putter. First off i do belive i am a above average putter but i cant just putt great with anything. This putter definetly fits my eye with alignment aid and shape. The feel and sound off the face really helps my distance judgement. My long putts are definitely better. Short putts easier. Breaking putts easier because of alighnment aid. The roll is very true off the club. Ive made a bunch of nice putts allready just within 4 rounds. All kinds of putts. It really is great and i see why its most used and i was a odyssey only guy.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.