2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Any one working on shot shaping?

Any one else starting to work on shot shaping? I have really never tried until the last couple weeks. I just started really playing again last year after 5+ years and was focused on control and hitting the ball straight. I play with a slight draw and my bad miss is a pull hook. I have been mainly working on fading the ball more. Where I hit a slight draw most of the time I can really put a hook on one most of the time when I need to. But I’m finding it difficult to control the fade as to how much fade I’m getting. Any one else working on shot shaping? Any tips or drills you like to use?

Lol! I've spent my entire golfing 'career' trying to limit a fade. Almost got it under control this last year. But every now and again I want a fade so I open my stance. Open the club face and make sure to swing on a path well left of the target line.

What happens?

The ball goes straight left every single damn' time.

My usual process is to first align the club face to the target line (ie; as if I was going to shoot straight). Then I relax my grip on the club and shuffle my feet anti clock-wise to open my stance while allowing the grip to rotate in my fingers. Then I re-grip the club and pick a new 'fake' target to the left of the real target. Then I swing, thinking only of the fake target. I wonder if it's thinking about the fake target that causes me to apply the correction?

Next time I need a fade (and it'll probably be on the 15th tomorrow at Feldon Valley because I always end up behind that blasted hedge) I'll give that a try.

I been shot shaping for years, and still working on it every time I attempt to move the ball left or right. Its a skill that, IMO, NEVER gets perfected, just practiced. Good Luck

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I have always understood how to draw and fade the ball but I never was able to work the ball both ways. I always had a slice or a fade. I got some new irons last winter. For some reason they do not like my old cut swing. My old ones were Ap1 714 and the new ones I got are JPX 900 Forged.

It was a HUGE adjustment on my part. After tinkering with them, after many nights of frustration, I found out that they work better for me if I swing in to out. That is the complete opposite of my swing. I have been practicing hitting them that way for a few months and I finally was able to draw the ball. What I did mostly was to stand square or a bit closed then feel that my swing is in an extreme in to out path. Of course when I took a video of myself, it was nowhere close to extreme but just enough.

Because of this, my new swing transferred to my woods and hybrids and driver. To my surprise I am able to hit straight and draw shots with those clubs. I tried to hit a fade and I was able to as well. I just open up my stance and aim the face at the target and swing along my set up. I still do not have the confidence to do it often on the course but I am slowly trying out the draw every now and then on holes that are not that tight.

There are a lot of ways to do it. I generally just alter address position rather than change the swing or swing path. I 'turn the club in the chuck' so to speak. My standard drill is a 5-ball drill -- straight, low, high, draw and fade. It's an abbreviated version of the usual 9-ball drill, but I can't hit that many balls anymore. If nothing else, I find it hugely helpful in finding the neutral position from where I play most of my shots.

In the old days, we used to feel that you had to work the ball one way or the other, because balata balls didn't want to go straight. Today's balls seem happier going straight, so curving them isn't as necessary. It's fun, though, and continuing to try works around the margins of your technique.

Like most people starting out I had a wicked slice. As such my goal was to learn to draw the ball. Now the easiest shot shape for me to hit is a draw, followed by a fade. Generally I have better control over a draw though, most time with a fade I don’t start it far enough left. But I do shape my shots intentionally while playing, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. Fades for me are really push fades, trying to hit a pull fade is asking for disaster. For a push fade I open my stance way up, swing inside out with an open club face.

Anyway, shaping shots is fun, and when they turn out how you planned, it’s all worth it.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

I do it a bit, but I do it via body movements and the release of the club. Works for me and I’ve had good results so far.

I also do a bit of extreme shot shaping towards the end of the range session, so that would be hitting massive high sweeping hooks and low punch slices and everything in between. You never know when you may need one of those shots on the course and it means that I can fix any ball flights that I don’t like.

Please, too much ball flight confusion. Today, NEW Ball Flight Rules exist. Once a person understands how their ball flight happens, he/she can then move towards shaping shots. Until then work on hitting the ball straight. Having said that, though the desired outcome may be realized but your ball flight may not be what you perceive it to be. That was the case with me. I been working the ball for a long time. However, I had it in my mind what was happening, only I was miss understanding.

Instead of changing the whole swing or how you address the ball, which freaks people out, change the club face angle at address and see what happens. Another reason I play 620MBs, and slightly open the face at address, aiming right of my target. IMO using the club face angle to control the ball trajectory is easier and more exact than how my body and feet address the ball.

Some light reading: Simple Explanation of the New Ball Flight Laws

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

i like this drill and plan to give it a go next range session... see how it compares to my usual circus shot routine when i get bored of working on other stuff. could also be fun to turn into a range game. e.g. keep score in a little notebook and compare results over time. or play it in the style of "around the world" with others.

No I did not. You miss-read it. What I wrote was:

'Then I relax my grip on the club and shuffle my feet anti clock-wise to open my stance while allowing the grip to rotate in my fingers.'

then I wrote:

'Then I re-grip the club and pick a new 'fake' target to the left of the real target.'

Since reading English appears not to be your strong point I'll break that down for you:

Regripped the club.Picked a fake target.Note the order. The fake target is fake because it's not where the club face is pointing. It's purely so that I swing at an angle to where the club face is looking. The club face will be aiming somewhere between my foot line and a line toward the actual target.

On the range, sure. On the course, no way. I’m not good enough for that.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Thats how I feel at the moment. I was thinking my game was at the point I could work more on finessing the ball. I want more workability with out completely ruining my ability to hit straight shots. The course I play has an almost 90* dog Leg left to the right and down hill. It’s probably around 250 yards and has trees and OB all down the right side until the fairway opens up and the green sits at the bottom of the hill. I really need a fade on that one. That’s the main reason I have been tinkering with fades.