Am I a candidate for going heavier in my iron shafts?

Z1ggy16

Been making some swing changes lately, most notably working to really shallow my club into the downswing. I'm finding that I'm doing this well with my heavy wedge shafts and driver, but I'm struggling a bit in my irons. My strike pattern with my wedges is pretty good but the irons are a bit all over. Driver is 80g raw, wedges are 132g raw, irons 120g raw. I don't think I want to go any stiffer, but is there a chance I've "outgrown" this weight and need to move to something a bit heavier to help keep these feels going through my set? No idea what swing speed is at this point, but my 7i is normally a smooth/comfortable 175-180 for me.

I really like the feel of my Accra Tour Z Xtreme 475 and my S400's in the GW-LW. I'm kind of leaning maybe soft stepping modus 120TX or X100's.. Heck maybe even S200 straight in? Normally I'd just get a fitting, but with Rona still going around, I'm not than keen on it. 2020 is the year of the self fit for me. FWIW, I used modus 120TX 2xSS in my GW & SW last year and that was pretty good feeling. Perhaps a touch too soft... they seemed to really whip/bend hard when hitting from the rough on full swings.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not alone. Regardless of age, some of us swing better with heavier shafts.

I went from 70g driver and 85g 3wd graphite shafts to 58g Ventus shaft in driver and 70g Ventus shaft in 4wd. In irons went from 130g X to 120g 6.0 PX steel shafts which lasted about fifteen years. Then last year made another downward weight change to Steelfiber (steel & graphite) 110g Stiff shafts, lightest I have ever played. Keep in mind as you transition, changing shaft weight is not the only answer. Increasing swing weight can make up for shaft weight.

Though I really like them in 6-3i, not thrilled in SW-7i, so just ordered heavier Steelfiber i125g shafts for my PW-7i blades.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I’m convinced shaft weight in irons is massively overlooked... but it’s hard to tell you what you need right now and it’s hard to experiment with...

personally, i ordered an s400 in my five iron to give those shafts a try and see how they feel... it’s a $113 flyer to see how I like it... not sure how else to test it.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

As someone who has gone through and continues to work on what sounds like a similar situation, your ideal iron shafts will likely change. Where they change to isn’t possible to predict with any degree of accuracy. Don’t change your current irons without knowing. It’s frustrating, expensive, and you won’t have any clubs while they’re being changed out.

Instead, get a single club from dealsandsteals or similar and experiment with that. Also, the only relevant experience is outdoors under your actual turf conditions. Indoor and mat use can be grossly different.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I would grab individual shafts and start testing for sure.

My experience personally is the same in that strike pattern starts to suffer on both sides (but favoring the toe) when weight gets too low. When weight gets too high, my strike usually stays very centered (maybe slightly heel) but my start line just starts creeping to the right. The trick is to find the balance. I recommend picking up 3 shafts; the Modus 120TX you mentioned (soft stepped once), an X100 (straight in), and an S400 (hard stepped twice). This will effectively give you a really nice range to test. The Modus being just a little bit more stiffness and weight on a profile you know, the X100 being a much more mid stiff shaft with another 5g of weight, and the S400 HSx2 falling between those two profiles and coming in around 135g. And if you test all this on your 6-iron, the S400 HSx2 will be an 8-iron shaft that you can then reuse in a wedge should it prove to be too heavy (it likely will). I think that gives you the best chance to cover as many bases as possible with the fewest moves and minimum waste.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Just looking at CPD numbers from Tom's DB (found from doing some searching about) I think it might be too big of a jump in stiffness from 120x to x100 straight in. The mid of the x100 is quite a bit stiffer... I mean, it just takes a little torch and epoxy but I might try is 1xSS first, and then straight in after (I'll just choke up on the soft stepped club).

Interesting on hard stepped S400 2x... Not sure I'll like that though from a CPM POV. For hard stepping, I was thinking R300 actually as my "low stiffness" end, with modus 120tx in the mid, then X100 straight in as the stiffest option.

Don't be afraid to do s400 thru whole set as an option, that was my go to option for years and actually got that in my blueprints

I used to do that .... and also x100 soft step 1x

But my favorite approx. 120g shaft was Nippon 1150gh X, 121 grams …. and I soft stepped once as well. Very tight shaft

I hear you on the heavier. Threw my sm2 vokey's back in play, all with onyx s400's and have moved my recoils from 95 to 110 with an improvement in strikes and accuracy

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yeah it's just like... heavy shafts swing themselves. I've been grinding crazy hard on my wedge game, and I have my 50-70-90 yard shots dialed in. I feel like I just take a very smooth half-way-back swing with my GW, let the club head swing itself... almost like I'm barely even trying, and the GW goes 87-90 yards straight and on target every time and maybe flies 50ft high with LOADS of fizz. With my irons now... I don't know, I just don't have the same feel. My swing feels longer and I don't think it's the heads being too light, because I've weighed every head and added lead tape to SW them all to D3.

I've reached out to my fitter to see what they think in lieu of me coming in. Probably going to start with 120tx and x100 both 1xSS to start. If I didn't dislike KBS so much, I'd maybe consider 1-2xSS C taper 125.

I have a set of hickory clubs. Of course, hickory shafts are darn heavy, maybe 150 grams or so. I probably hit straighter shots with the irons, and particularly hit better shots with the niblick (wedge). Driver and fairway woods, not so much .

That might be a stupid insertion into an intelligent thread, but heavier goes straighter, lighter goes longer. You can go heavier and it helps in transition, but don't go too stiff.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

My recommendation is based purely on weight testing here. Hard stepping twice isn't going to be some huge change, I suggested it purely as a means to get a 135g shaft in the mix in addition to the 130g and 125g. Whether or not it ends up feeling right in terms of stiffness is of somewhat secondary importance since weight is your first concern. You might find that 135g actually feels right, but if the shaft is too stiff then you know you can step down to 130g and simply add a little weight to either the shaft or the head. You could also just bypass all of that and use lead tape on your existing shafts until it feels right, that would be the simplest solution.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Teach me:

I play PING g-700's, graphite shafts but they feel too light, if I swing at what feels like a slower speed, results are great

My previous set was PING G-25 with steel shafts, feel right but I lose distance and height (average 5-7 yards)

They both have the SAME swing weight,

Would adding weight to the G-700's change the shaft flex?

Am I a candidate for heavier shafts?

Stick with G-700's and force myself to slow my swing?

Thanks !!!

Count me as another who has tried going lighter with it not quite working out. Spent better part of a year with 105g graphite, after playing heavier steel for most of my golf life. Fought hooks with the long irons, a bit odd that it was only the long irons. Went back to DGS, gained a bit more consistency.

I also have a set of Rams with SPB X. The flex is a bit much for me these days, so I hadn't been playing them. Took them out on a lark a couple weeks ago, found myself hitting the ball quite well, directionally speaking. Actually, contact quality was great, also. The SPB are 129g, but at 2" shorter than DGS. That shouldn't provide all that much extra static weight over the DGS in my MP37s, but though the Rams and Mizunos have the same swingweight, I could feel added weight in the Rams, which seemed to be helpful to my swing.

Now at 56, I'd been thinking of trying lighter clubs again, but my SPB set results have me thinking of looking for a set in Stiff and sticking with heavy for a while longer.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This chart is from Howard Jones. It’s a starting point in weight progression and would back up what you are feeling. If you like your driver at 80 grams then you should be heavier in your irons according to this chart.

On a side note, I tried going lighter in my irons (went from DG s300 to Steelfiber 110) and really struggled with my path and dispersion. I have changed to a shaft in the middle of the weight range, project x LZ and hitting my irons really well. It also matches up with the chart below

https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/ipb/monthly_06_2017/post-174728-0-11400700-1496683995.png

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

Yeah that's most strange to me is how with the heavier shafts I'm actually squaring the face up better than with lighter ones. I even switched back to lighter in my woods while at the range... it was a total no go. Tossed a 69g back in my driver and a 77 in my wood, and I was hitting hooks, blocks.. high, low.. all over the place. Went right back to the heavier stuff and immediately was able to hit my preferred bleed fade.

I'm not quite sure I get how I have face control issues, especially if my miss becomes more of a fade, with lighter shafts. I've always heard the common advice is if you're over cutting it/pushing it you need less swing weight or less club head/shaft weight. But my GW for example... I'm pretty sure that's D4 or D5 SW and the raw shaft is 132g. I hit it so straight it actually shocks me, especially compared to my PW which I end up curving a little bit more.

I think I'll try putting 5-10g of lead tape on the shaft and head to the range tonight, but for some reason I don't think it will be quite the same as having that weight spread out over the entire shaft, especially if I do maybe need a slightly different profile. It's kind of like choking up vs actually cutting your shaft... I've never been able to have those 2 things feel the same for me. Anyway, depending how today goes, I'll probably start with a modus 120tx shaft and soft step once, and then an S400 and hard step once. If those don't quite work... some others on my short list are S200 straight, PX LZ 6.5, Modus 125 1xSS, X100 1xSS, C Taper 130 1xSS. Hoping I can find some pulls because at $40 a pop, this might get expensive...

Without even thinking about it I'd say X100 ssx1 (even straight in) or S400 would be good. Personally, I much prefer X100 over S400. S400 tends to spin a lot in the long irons for me and is a lot of work. I lose distance with it. X100 for whatever reason is a magic shaft. If you like S400 in your wedges it is a no brainer. I'm sure you noticed that Ian went with TI x100 in his irons this go around. I messed around with LZ 6.5 and Modus 120x again recently and was struggling on Par 3s. Went back to X100 and hit 4/5 GIR on par 3s and was no more than 10 ft from the hole with two kick in birdies that I almost holed out from 190+. The shaft just plain works for me and just like you I came to that conclusion after using S400 in my wedges.

And I just wanted to add these here for reference, since others may be reading this and trying to figure out for themselves if they want to go heavier or switch shafts...

image.png

image.pngSo as you can see... Modus 120 (although the TX profile is a bit different), PX LZ and R/S300 all have similar EI shapes, which is probably why these are my go to shafts I've always used :-p

It's strange though... as you can see above, the profiles are very different in that transition area between tip and mid. Which, it could make perfect sense b/c you are giving good passes at your irons, whereas for me, 75% or more of my wedge shots are like 50% speed or less. It's rare I'm hitting a full shot with my wedges, and if I am, it's usually the GW and every now and again, the SW and LW (from the rough usually, for height).

I think it's probably #3 on my list, as I have hit X100's before and didn't like this. That was in 2018 though, things are a little different. Oddly enough... still in the Accra profile, just went up a weight and flex.

Conveniently just found this:

image.png

Just my two cents but it seems you may way over complicating this talking hard-stepping and soft stepping when you haven't even tried it standard yet? My recommendation is try a S400 standard and see how it you like it. At <$30 a shaft, it's not an expensive experiment. Add hardstepping and softstepping as a variable you can introduce down the line. I play S400 straight through the set and am also right around 175-180 with a smooth 7i. Perfect fit, heavy feel to help shallow the club not too stiff and certainly never overpower them, even when I jump on one.

X100 felt like a shaft from a completely different family when I tested for what it's worth, did not like the feel at all.

Not hard to experiment with shaft weight if you start light. Use lead tape. I played projectX 6.5 and 7.0 for years and they are notoriously heavy. I was able to make the switch to recoill 110's pretty well playing the shafts over length in 8 iron down (I use 1/4 increments) however the shafts just spun too much for me. I ended up in catalyst 100 6.5 graphite, and have added lead tape at equal distance across the balance point of the shaft to get the total weight up. I have a few left to dial in, but playing them at the same lengths and getting the shafts to the same weight and total weight of the clubs to almost the same as my previous in the recoils has really fixed my strike pattern.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

If you do not want to change the SW (which I find to be a very arbitrary number) then yes apply lead tape in the correct weight equi-distant above and below the balance point of the shaft. Technically it will change the SW some unless you have it a tad towards the handle, but I haven't figured out the exact amount above and below the balance point because I find that as I stated earlier SW is an arbitrary number, and I am more looking at total weight and shaft weight when comparing the same head weight on the same shaft length.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Feel obligated to mention something on the Wishon profile data you've got, specifically on DGX....

True Temper insists the tip section of DGX tapered is stiffer than that of DGS. There have also been reports of other folks profiling a DGX shaft and getting a much higher number. On top of all that, some have suggested the lower number could be related to the inability of some (most? all?) frequency analyzers to record a reading over 1000.

All that said, if you like Modus3 120 X, I would look towards DGS. The shaft profiles are fairly similar. 120 stiff is apparently very close to DGR400. Or maybe think about Modus 125 in stiff?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Interesting. Well to your last part, I'm guessing it's not 125 bc that profile is very linear... Probably on par with X100 but perhaps a bit less stiff.

R flex is probably slightly less stiff than 120x but I'm not sure. Haven't seen modus vs DG on the same plot, and it's not safe to compare graphs with out the data behind it. I guess if someone posted all the raw frequencies?

You can see above, X100 is basically stiffer in every point except the very butt end than modus 120tx, so my guess is that S400 is slightly stiffer than 120x, so yeah R200/300 would be the closest to 120x of I had to guess.

EI curves aside - anecdotally having hit both R300 and 120x they aren’t even close. The 120x is much stiffer. As for X100 I believe most golfers would have an easier time playing that than 120tx which is a beastly shaft. The smoothness makes it feel less so difficult but is very tip stiff. In any event s400 or even AMT x100 or s400 could be an option if you don’t want to do ss x100