2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Question about putter weight.

Football55

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Football55 - Putter weight IMO depends on the green speed you frequent. Typically, heavier weight head for "fast" greens (stroke isn't as long) and lighter weight head for "slow" greens (stroke is longer.) However, this is Golfwrx where anyone may say just about anything and claim it's normal, though that may not be the case. My 34" SC Monterey head is 360 grams heavy and D5 SW, and in the bag since 2011. Cant' say anything regarding a Long Putter, never used one, never will.
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

What @Pepperturbo said for the most part, usually base it off the greens you play. If you're on the same course every time and know the greens then base it on a putter for that, if you play a different course every week then an adjustable putter can really help or if you're a putter hoe a good reason to buy an extra putter.
I generally play 35-36" myself and i have putters that range from 330g up to 375g but find myself usually playing in that 350-365g range most of the time because that feels good to me, but if doing things "properly" I should be playing 340-350g heads going off of SW.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

IME - good putting depends on a persons "release", putter shaft design, loft and weight can influence outcome. I don't believe a longer length putter is the best answer, unless a person is tall and been playing with a putter that's too short.

For the longest time I played a Odyssey White Hot #5, 3* loft, center shafted 34" putter with head weight 345g, and missed putts left and right. One day in 2011 I visited Callaway's putter fitting website. Put in all my known specs and it suggested my release fit a different toe hang with a full offset shaft, loft at 4* plus heavier head. Honestly, I was surprised.

As a result, I bought my Scotty Cameron Monterey and 9 years later still enjoying the result. It's a heavier 360g head, D5 swing weight, 4* loft, same 34" length, but high toe, plumbing neck, medium toe flow, full offset shaft does the trick. If I properly read the green, I no longer miss left and right. My misses are now short or long of the cup but usually in two putt range and my Lag putting has improved a great deal so seldom 3 putt. If the green surface is smooth, I make birdies and long par saving putts. Also, hitting the sweet spot of your putter is #1. To learn better putter swing mechanics, practice putting with a LW leading edge. My 2cents.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I prefer lighter putters everywhere. Heavier putters affect my rhythm and speed negatively.

I think it's personal and no hard set rules like heavy for fast greens, etc..

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

@bogeypro What you say is true for skilled golfers, not so much when it comes to people with far less skill.
Most people regardless of skill, don't have a clue as to what may or may not benefit them when it comes to putter and wedge design. I was one of those people. When I took up the game, I didn't know some putting rules existed so I grabbed a putter off the floor and went with it. Since taking up the game I have used five putters. When I took the advice of software in 2011 and changed putters I began making more birdie putts.
Saying there is no hard set rules today suggests there is no fitting norm, yet apparently there is. If that wasn't true, all the putting fitters, putter designs and putting clinics wouldn't exist. As it is, people flounder trying to find their way in the golf maze. You are correct, anything can work but that doesn't mean it provides the best outcome or should be advice. I am amazed at the lack of mid-hi cap understanding of wedges and putting. Putting is were scoring happens yet the idea there are NO hard rules leaves many people wondering how to improve. My 2cents. Have a good day.
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I agree that guidelines are great to help beginners get a starting point. However, its OK to try other things. I'd also recommend seeing a pro that can help look at your technique and help determine what might be a good fit. That's what I did... i guy on putting sim and determined what type of putter fits my stroke and what weight gives me the best results.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I'll add a little to the confusion. MY personal feelings are directly opposed to those voiced above. I feel that a lighter putter on fast greens allows the player to use feel. Put a heavy head on the end and in my hands, I lose feel and any sense of just how hard I need to hit that little white demon. On a slower green, a heavy head allows the player to use a similar amount of effort and the added energy of the heavier head will make for more roll-out of a putt.

If you talk to 20 legitimate teaching pros, you might very well find 10 on each side of the fence. Just one Mann's thoughts, but hard and fast rules when it comes to something that requires the feel and touch that putting demands.....just don't make sense.

Sorry, but it adds a new dimension to the discussion, ;)

LaMont in AZ

You're welcome to oppose. FEEL varies per person. And all I was attempting was to provide a long-known baseline for people that are not as skilled at the game, yet.

I like heavier weight heads, also heavier swing weight in irons and putter. Not sure of the overall weight of my wedges but SW is D7 and LW is E0, the latter feels heavy to friends. What's important about that is discovering heavier feel improved my ball striking as well as putting - noticeably. But going heavier is not for everyone. My 14-16 index buddy likes C8 SW irons but after messing with my putter bought a heavier putter and over time found he's putting much better.

I've said it many times, each of us have sensor receptors in our hands. Believe it or not, amount of receptors and how many are dead vary person person. I have large hands with lots of muscle and plenty of sensitive receptors because I don't use my hands for work, just type. Our sense of feel varies per person, just like our ability to taste, smell and hear varies per-person.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

This is what putting is all about. When you start out or find yourself struggling, you have to find a philosophy that you can rationalize and that works for you. Nobody has to believe that there are hard and fast rules or standards. The director of instruction at the club I am closest to adheres to your thinking. It works for him and for a lot of his students. I'd never tell him that he was all messed up, nor would I say that to you.

If you've found a weight that helps you make putts, I'm beyond happy for you. I just had to chime in and share my personal thoughts on the subject.

Have an amazing 2020 and I hope that at the end of the year, you look back at your game and can see all of the improvement that you are seeking.

Thanks for the post,

LaMont in AZ

I think why this is such a debated issue lies solely in the varying ways added or reduced weight affects different people’s putting strokes.

Let’s say someone used to play a 330g head, then switches to a 350g head (all other things being equal).

IF they makes the exact same stroke with the heavier head, the ball will roll further due to the extra mass hitting the ball.

However, a heavier head and swing weight could cause their stroke to get shorter and/or slower regardless of their intentions. Therefore the ball doesn’t roll as far as it used to with a lighter putter.

Each of those scenarios would have those golfers saying the opposite thing in regards to putter weight and green speeds

Some golfers have more sensitive hands than others. Just a few grams can throw things off. Some won’t notice a difference unless there’s a substantial weight change.

One thing that doesn’t seem to be brought up much is contact. Any change in a club’s set up could have negative or positive effects on the quality of contact being made. That can surely change how the ball is rolling out.

Also, I’ve noticed that heavier putters are a bit tougher to release than something lighter for me. Less noticeable with more face balanced putters of course than blades.

Different strokes for different folks for sure.

Hi @football55, As others have mentioned, extending 2" with the same head weight will definitely affect the swingweight and feel. You may like it better. Adding 2" with all other factors constant, you could expect around a 12 point increase in swingweight. Say your current gamer is around D5, you would end up around E7.

To get a feel for what that change would feel like, you could add 24 grams to your current putter and see what you think. (Taping 5 nickels to your putter would get you close.)

This would give you a feel for the swingweight change, but I think the more impactful difference will be with how the added length with the same lie angle will affect you setup and posture.

If it's not too much trouble, I would consider adding a 2" extension to your current gamer and regripping with the same grip and see how it feels.

The extension with epoxy will probably add a few grams at the grip end more than just a naturally longer shaft but it should give you a feel for how the swingweight will be affected adding 2".

If extending your current gamer isn't a desirable option for testing, the Ping Sigma 2 putter line comes stock with an extendable shaft up to 36" which could give you an easier option for testing.

If you do find that the added swingweight is not for you, it is a little more difficult and likely permanent to reduce the head weight of the putter to get the swingweight back down.

You would need to remove approximately 24 grams of head weight to keep the swingweight the same when adding 2" of length. You might be able to pick up an old Ping Classic Anser 2 which would have a head weight in the 310 to 320 gram range, extend to 36" and play with lead tape to see what feels good for you. I also believe any of the recent Scotty Cameron Newport/Newport 2 style putters with adjustable weights (prior to the recent 2020 special Select) are at 320 grams head weight with no weights installed.

I know I am putting a bunch of information out there with a lot of suggested work on your end and you may or may not have the time, resources, or desire to get into any of this an I apologize for the excessive information.

I am just really passionate about club making and tinkering and would love to arm you with some information to take the lead on the journey if you are interested in tinkering yourself.

I would be happy to help in any way if you have any follow up questions.

Just out of curiosity, what has led you to considering the change to 36"? Did you get fit or do some testing somewhere?

I would again like to thank everyone for their input on this topic. To answer some questions I am sixty three years old, 6'2" and play to a 5.3 but putting is just average. I have always putted slumped over and have issues moving and coming out of the putt thus short right miss.Tried a playing partners 36" putter and posture improved and roll was much truer. The issue was distance control from fifteen feet out. Another positive was my back felt much better after the round. Again, thanks to everyone for the wonderful information and time.

It's good to chime in. IME Rationalizing is a process that may or may not have factual foundation, so has little to do with feel fundaments of golf. I am a feel golfer, and believe strongly in heavier weight head for fast greens and lighter for slow greens, and so does a great many tour players. I been a home chef all my life and was recently taking to a friend that owns a number of high-end restaurants about how he teaches his line cooks. He said many people are good cooks but will never be great because they don't understand the importance of using fundamental techniques throughout their cooking. That applies to golf too, only it's called fundamentals. We as golfers have fostered the idea "if something works for us, great." Except, we can't overlook fundamentals in golf as they are like techniques is cooking;, both are at the base of learning if we want to be better amateur's golfers and help others.

Maybe I wasn't clear; head and swing weight are not new to me. I been using heavier SW irons since 1990's, and a tour weighted putter since 2011 when I went from a lighter weight putter to my current SC putter. Since then I make a lot more putts, seldom 3-putt, and lagging is much easier also why I am still a low-single digit golfer at 70 years old. LOL You take care.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Usually people would use a lighter head with a longer putter. However, feel and results are the best indicator of what works. I wouldn't hesitate to go to a 36" putter with a 350 gram head and see how it feels to you and if the results are good you don't need to change anything else. If it feels too heavy you could go with a lighter head.