New balls versus used

jomatty

After a 20 year layoff I’ve been getting back into the game and found myself completely hooked. I’m playing 3 times a week and most days I’m making it out to do some practice. In 3 months I worked my way down from around 100 to the low 80’s (when I stopped playing after high school I was keeping it in the mid 80’s). I’ve lost a good amount of swing speed over those years. I now hit my driver at around 230 on average (hard for me to admit that if I’m honest and I almost wrote 250 which is where I max out at, but the truth is that an average well hit drive is closer to 230ish). My iron play is far and away the strongest part of my game. I don’t like hard balls. When I first started back I thought that balls like the Callaway super soft felt fantastic. That soft feel felt like balata, and I was always excited to use that back in the day as my dad, rightfully, would not let me do that much lol. As I started getting better and using those balls more I realized that I was suffering as far as making the ball stop on approach shots and having a hard time around the greens (conversely they are perfect for my wife). So that leaves me with an issue. The issue is that I can not afford to spend 45 a dozen. I’ve been buying prov1’s off eBay used for around $2 a ball and have been happy. The AAAAA grade balls look brand new to me and I haven’t had any performance issues I can tell. That said, I have read about balls that have been in water for any length of time hurting performance. What do you guys think? Are the AAAAA grade balls unlikely to have suffered in a way that effects performance? In general, if the only options were a mint condition used top tier ball or a lower quality ball like a super soft or Bridgestone e6 which route would you go. Balls like the snell mtb are also a possibility but honestly at 35ish per dozen are still a bit more than I’m looking to spend...

thanks for the feedback!

Used balls. I honestly think until you can go a full round without losing a ball then it shouldn't matter what ball. Buying 4 dozen prov1 a month is like 150 bucks. If you worked 5 hours less a week and spent that time on chipping, putting, or approach shots your scoring would be much better than any adv u get from a nice new ball. I used to want new premium balls in my bag too. But honestly while shooting 85 you wont be picking up any strokes from a prov1, you might actually lose a couple. Any sidespin, or wind will be amplified with prov1. You should just get a bunch of cheap balls for now.

I stick to one ball and have started pulling new ones when they get scuffed too much. I don't lose many so they typically last about 18-27 holes, then get down graded to use if I just want to drop a ball, and then to be a practice ball. My strategy is to buy a bunch when they are on sale, usually in the spring when a new model comes out. I don't think any ball from year to year is going to be such an improvement that it drops multiple shots a round so I'm comfortable playing the previous year model for about $25 per dozen.

I been buying recycled mint balls for at least 10 years now. I can count one hand how many balls didn't perform exactly like a brand new ball and will have fingers left over. If you buy mint condition recycled balls, the odds of getting one whose performance is not the same as a brand new ball is extremely low. Keep in mind that recycled and refinished are two different things. I have bought refinished just one time and cannot say the same thing about them.

• Like 2

SuperHomerBoy alert here. I have been using the MG (MasterGrip) balls for quite a while and at $20 a dozen you can't beat them IMO. They have a big write up on their site about head to head with ProV1's prior generation being at least even or better. Personally I have not put both to test. At that price you might want to give a box a try. And their gloves are cheap and excellent. Been using them for, ahem, decades.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Similar thread a week or two ago you'll like. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19499776

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

If you are shooting low 80’s you can’t be losing more than one ball every second round.

Treat yourself.

Side note. When buying used balls you don’t just have to be worried about lake balls but how do you know that ProV isn’t also 20 years old?

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I got a membership this year and I have had the chance to play a lot because of working from home. I played so far my used golf balls (5A quality) and my new golf balls. I cannot feel or see any difference. I average 80 on my home course and I rarely lose any golfs. I am an average golfer who drives the ball on average of 230 yards. I use Game Golf to track what I am doing and so far after 10 games. But as someone said, treat yourself if you shoot in the 80's and rarely lose golf balls.

See I struggle with wether the pro v1 is a plus or not. At my skill set I’m not hitting lots of greens so getting up and down is very important. Even if I give up a little accuracy with the long game I’m not sure I’m not getting it back around the green and with my short irons. I suppose the pro v1’s don’t bother me off the tee, but something like e6 or super soft bother me around the green so I go the pro v1 route. Something like a chrome soft that is lower compression but good quality might be the play. Mostly it’s not a huge deal to me as long as I have the same ball and know what to expect and the pro v1’s are easy to find used in really good shape

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

You just never know with second hand balls

C156C8C3-BC99-481D-889B-5CB7034D8A56.jpeg

Is that for real or photo shopped??? 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Stay away from refinished. You will not feel the difference between a new ProV1 and a used one. You may be able to see discoloration if any, light scuffing and some marks but, if you're coming off a 20 year hiatus, you won't notice. I always encourage people buy from the 5A Mint / 4A Lightly used or Practice ball group.

I bought a 48 box of ProV1X from 2017 and they were all in excellent condition and acted the same. Keep in mind I was playing 3 days a week at the time. 

On 12/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, phizzy30 said:

Is that for real or photo shopped??? 

Saw this on My Golf Spy hate to admit since I only play new balls I did not read the beyond the caption.  But I’m assuming it is real.  I read an article years back were a bunch of “used and reconditioned” golf balls were cut in half to reveal they were not as labeled. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I only buy used off lost golf balls 4A. I used to be a stickler about it but not anymore. Typically shoot 74-82 but can be a bit wild off the tee so no sense in paying full price. 

I do avoid refurbished though (which isn’t the exact question) but many studies have shown those to be firm, poor covers, and inconsistent results. Excellent/VG condition is fine IMO!  

On 12/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, Nebraska said:

Saw this on My Golf Spy hate to admit since I only play new balls I did not read the beyond the caption.  But I’m assuming it is real.  I read an article years back were a bunch of “used and reconditioned” golf balls were cut in half to reveal they were not as labeled. 

I have heard this, too.  They take a ball, sand off all the paint and the label.  Then repaint it, re-label it and that old TopFlite is now a Titleist Pro V1.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down