2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Level Appreciation Thread

Philomathesq

I’m a proud owner of several New Level clubs (full set of 902’s, multiple M-type wedges, a 4995, and a full set of 623’s being delivered in two days). I absolutely love them and think they are the best value proposition for clubs right now.

Though the company has been around for a few years, I have found that there isn’t a lot of quality information out there for those who might be interested in them. Hence, this thread.

I’ll be posting a full review of my 902’s, with photos, in the next day or two, and will do the same with the 623’s once I get them out on the course. I’ll also try to do the same for the 4995 and M-type wedges.

For anyone else out there that owns, or has owned, the clubs, feel free to chime in with your comments, reviews, photos, etc.

This isn’t meant to be a fanboy thread (I’m not a fan of the M-type wedges), it is meant to be more of a central location for people to find information about the clubs.

So, please chime in with your thoughts on the clubs!

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Looking to buy 902s so any more information would be great. Looking at through the turf, feel meant to be really sold and solid, and forgiveness

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

I have the 1031 irons in black and this is my second season with them. I will be moving on from them in 2021. I can't seem to get comfortable with them as I have with other sets. I hit them very, very well indoors in my fitting studio, but outside they just don't seem to click. I've had 2 good rounds with them that I can remember, the rest were very mediocre to forgettable. There is nothing wrong with the clubs they just don't seem to work for me. I'm on my 3rd set of shafts for them (just finished yesterday) so I have yet to see what's going to happen here. There's a lot of moving parts here so it is tough to accurately say whether it is the clubs or me (most likely me) as I threw my back out really bad early 2019 and hardly played, got into a car accident that messed up my back some more until about September once my back started to feel good again in July, I've had some lessons that were less than stellar in the offseason between 2018 and 2019 that I think did more harm than good also contributed. This year I've had to reshaft them for shafts #3 because I picked up a lot of speed in the 2019-2020 off season using SuperSpeeds, I've gone from 85-86mph 6i and Dynamic Gold 105s and Accra 110s to 90-92mph 6i and PX LZ 6.0.

So just keep that in mind when you read this. The feel on them is equivalent to most forgings I have tried. The offset on the 1031s is a bit much, I wish I went the 902s but I know I'm not good enough for them if I struggle with the 1031. The black finish is typical of any other dark finish...crap. It has worn off the leading edges of my irons already and I have maybe 15 rounds on them due to the bad back last year and the virus this year. The face shows considerable wear on the sweetspot and surrounding area almost immediately if you go for the black heads. The sole and topline are very typical of what people like and expect in a smaller forged cavity back. Forgiveness is where I think they lack. They don't really have that one club like a P790 or an Apex that is meant to appeal to the club snobs but is also forgiving...that was supposed to be the 1031. However, I can tell you from experience it is not that club.

They are good for what they are, a value based, direct to consumer product. I have no experience with Haywood, Ben Hogan, Sub 70, or Avian (the other DTC brands I am aware of) but I strongly suggest if you are not that strong of an iron player to maybe look elsewhere. I have a friend that is thorough blade user and has the 623s and he quite likes them, and my dad borrowed those a couple of rounds last year shooting both one of his best and one of his worst scores back to back with the blades. This is a guy who used to be a 2 to a scratch for many years and took up the game in the mid 1960s, so he grew up on blades. Certainly doesn't need them now but he still has the "game" for them if needed and he really focuses. Even he commented that they are not "for him" and he has played many blades and smaller CBs even up until recently.

I think if you are looking for forgiveness make the jump to the MODB-1, Ben Hogan, or Haywood as you may be disappointed as I was with the supposed "middle road" iron. I figure I can tough it out this year as I still haven't played due to COVID restrictions and being busy in 2020. I will definitely be going to something more suited for a 10-12 handicap for 2021.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I have the 623's and 4995 utility. 623's are very forgiving and easy to hit for the style of club it is intended to be. Really good feel but ive found them to launch slightly higher with high spin also (obviously could be a good thing for certain people)

I played the 4995 all last year and it was a very reliable, consistent club. Lacks in the ball speed department, but it does what it is intended to do.... a long iron replacement. If you want to replace a 3i, 4i, or 5i with something easier to hit and easier to launch, then the 4995 is great. But if you want it as a driving iron hoping for lower spin, a penetrating flight and good distance, you'll be disappointed. It is not a p790 UDI or Titleist U500, but it is an excellent choice to replace a long iron if you dont like hybrids

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

I'll post a review of my 902's later this afternoon with pics. As a preview, I found the 902's to be an excellent size and great to look at (not too much offset, smaller head but not tiny, relatively thin topline for a cavity back). When I first got the 902's, I was much steeper, so turf interaction was of huge importance to me. I found the 902's to have great turf interaction and rarely would dig badly (if I made a decent swing). The only club I've hit that has felt more "pure" is a PXG Gen 3 T. The feel is very solid yet soft. Generally, I think they are very forgiving, as mishits are not punished much.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

It sounds like you've had a hell of a time trying to get your golf game on, between your accident, shaft changes, and some bad lessons. Regardless of which clubs you play, I hope you are able to get everything straightened out soon; I know how horrible it feels to pick up a club and not know what the hell is going to happen when you swing it.

The only nugget of info I want to throw out to you is that you may want to consider the 902's. They are smaller than the 1031's, but depending on how you swing, they may be better for you. When I was fit for the clubs, I initially thought I would go with the 1031's because I was a double-digit handicapper who was all self-taught (i.e., not very good and had no clue what I was doing). I thought the larger profile of the 1031 would provide better protection than the smaller profile of the 902. However, I couldn't hit the 1031's to save my life. I'm a high swing speed player (95-96 6i) and I was hitting the ball way to high with the 1031's, which was also causing the ball to spray all over the place. When I tried the 902's, though, things just clicked. I think the 902's are plenty forgiving and plenty far. However, to your point, they just may not be the right club for you. But, I would at least give the 902 a shot before you decide to complete write them off.

Don't get me wrong, I have hit the 902. I work at a shop that sells them and I've tinkered with the whole line. I have sold a couple sets of 902 and every person loves them. I just know myself too well that even though I would like the look they aren't quite there in terms of forgiveness for me. I'm a pretty scrappy 10-12. I make up for a lot of my score because I hit the driver and fairway woods really well, and I play a pretty short course most of the time. So I can get away with missing a green with the irons because I know when I do hit a good shot, it's at worst par because the course isn't that difficult.

For me, my best years were with some MacGregor irons that were fat, huge, and so fun to hit. I still kick myself for selling those almost a decade later. I appreciate the thoughts, don't get me wrong, but if I have one bad round with the 902s it'll be in my head and I'm out. I'm a mental midget. I haven't completely written off the 1031s yet, I have high hopes for the LZ to tighten up the dispersion. But if they don't I can safely say they are not for me and I'd rather go to a house on a stick and know it's my swing than a doubt about the clubs.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I've been speaking with Eric about getting a set of 1126 or 902s. I'm currently playing Mizuno 919 forged and want to give NL a try. Eric is telling me to go with the 1126 over the 902 although I'm leaning more towards the 902 due to the smaller head and less offset. I'm going to demo a 1126 next week. I haven't played yet this year and last year I played to around a 12 HCP.

Has anybody tried both the 1126 and the 902s? What are your thoughts between them?

I just got a combo set of the 1126 and 902. 1126 4-6 and 902 7-PW. I am considering adding the 623 in 9-PW. I told Eric what I was playing and he recommended the combo set. I originally was concerned about the same things, but find they combo very well. I got rid of a set of Epon 705s because I thought the despite the thing topline the length was too much for me as I appreciate a smaller clubface. I have no issues with the 1126s. I came from Srixon z745s for reference.

II absolutely loved my 745s and truthfully gave these a shot on a whim. To me they are very similar to the 745. Basically the same club profile from address, if anything I see less club out of the back of the 1126 long irons. The forgiveness feels comparable and I would say that the New Levels are a touch longer. They have a pre-worn leading edge so good turf interaction as well. I wasn't sure they would get my 745s out of the bag, but they have currently. My honest opinion is they are very similar in performance, looks, etc.

Here is my review of the New Level 902’s. I chose these irons after hitting these, 1031's, Z785’s, P760’s, Gen 2 0311 T's, and CB-301's. All clubs were tested with the same shaft (TI X100) and same length and lie and were tested outside on grass. The photos below show the clubs with no paintfill. The 902's are currently a backup set so I use them to test out new paints and then clean them up once I'm done testing paints. While Eric is great to work with and will do his best to customize the clubs for your, you can't order a set of clubs without paintfill (I've asked). My typical swing speed with a 7i (which is what I tested in all these clubs) is around 92-93mph and I have a shallow AoA. This review, of course, is based on my preferences, my swing, and my game.

I ultimately chose the 902's over the others because I felt that they were the best overall club for me. My breakdown of the categories, and how the clubs ranked in each category, is below. If you have any questions, ask away. Also, for those of you who have New Level clubs, feel free to agree, disagree, and/or post your own reviews. The whole point of this thread is to compile New Level info in one spot to make it easier for other folks to find out information about the brand and the clubs. Carry Distance

Gen 2 0311T - 180 yardsZ785 and 1031 - 176 yards902 - 172 yardsP760 - 171 yardsCB-301 - 168 yards For distance, the 902 won out for me because I like my number to be right around 172. The Gen 2's felt great, but they just flew too long, and I did get two flyers that were removed from the data set that would have bumped up the average distance closer to 182 had they been kept. The 785 and 1031 were both very predictable, but again, just a tad too long for and I didn't want to cause gapping issues with my wedges.Ball Speed (Note: throughout the test, my swing speed stayed right around 92mph. Any swings that were below 90.5 or above 93.5 were thrown out.)

Gen 2 0311T - 125.2mph1031 - 123.9mphZ785 - 123.5mph902 - 122.4mphP760 - 121.9mphCB-310 - 120.3mphNot surprisingly, the PXG was out in front. However, I was surprised to see how much faster it was. Again, though, it was way too long/fast, and I felt as if a flyer was just waiting to happen. The Z785's were quite fast, too. I was really surprised by the P760's, as I expected them to be a tad slower, but they were a nice surprise.Spin

P760 - 7097rpm902 - 7028rpmCB-301 - 6984rpm1031 - 6514rpmZ785 - 6148rpmGen 2 0311T - 6036rpmThis is what really helped me decide on the 902. I like to keep a decent amount of spin on my irons, and I like my 7-iron to be in the 7000-range. As expected, the clubs that went the furthest had the lowest spin. I was surprised how much spin was killed by the Z785's, but they are an excellent club. Dispersion

P760, 902, and Z785 were all basically the same. CB-3011031Gen 2 0311TThe P760, 902, and Z785 had nearly identical dispersion patterns, and each was very good. The CB-301 was just slightly larger. The PXG was a bit all over the place. Laterally, the dispersion was ok, though there were a few shots that I overdrew. What killed the dispersion for the PXG, though, was the distance. While I was able to do so with all the other clubs, I couldn't hit two shots the same distance with the PXG. Looks

Z785 and 902CB-3011031Gen 2 0311TP760Both the Z785 and 902 are sexy clubs, IMHO. Off the rack, I think the Srixon is better looking, but that's only because I don't like red on golf clubs and the 902's come with red paint. However, given that the New Level paintfill is very easy to remove, I'm not going to hold that against them (unlike the PXG paint, which is a pain in the *** to remove). If I had to choose between the two, I would give the 902 a slight edge because the 902's had significantly (to my eye) much less offset in the longer irons. I believe from 7-iron on down the offset is nearly identical between the two sets, but the 4-6 irons of the Z785's were not to my liking, and I actually use my longer irons frequently. I also remember the Z785 being a bit longer heel to toe than the 902. However, you can't go wrong with either. I don't remember now, but I remember thinking the topline may have been slightly thinner on the Z785, but it was so close it could have gone either way. I hate the look of the P760's. I think they are ugly as sin. The 1031 is a great looking club, but it is just too big for me.Feel

902 and 1031Gen 2 0311TP760Z785CB-301This was probably the biggest surprise to me. I wholly expected the Miura to feel the best, followed by the Z785. However, there was nothing about the Miura that stood out to me. It felt like any number of other clubs I had hit before--nothing special, but also nothing horrible. The fact that they are listed last here is not an indication that they feel bad to hit, it's just that they weren't as good as the other clubs. The 902 and 1031 felt nearly identical, and both were a perfect mix of solid but soft (I prefer a soft feeling iron). I was very pleasantly surprised by the feel. The PXG's would have been first in this category, because they are fun to hit, but the constant feeling I had that I was going to hit a flyer took away some of the joy. Also, the PXG's did make it slightly more difficult to figure out where I missed the face when it happened. The P760's felt great and being ranked below three other clubs is not an indication that the P760's aren't excellent, they are just below the other three. The one knock I have on the P760's is that they feel slightly dead. The feeling isn't truly soft, but it isn't truly solid, either. It's a weird feeling (not bad) with which I think one would grow accustomed. The Z785's were clicky to me, and I don't like clicky clubs.Overall

I obviously went with the 902's. It really came down to the Z785's and 902's (the P760's would have been in the conversation if they weren't so ugly). What ultimately pushed me over the edge was the spin of the 902. I could have learned to live with the clicky-ness of the Z785's and I probably would have weakened them to correct for distance and spin. However, the 902's, as-is, were excellent and the feel is better (for me). Hopefully, this review helps anyone looking for more info. However, I cannot stress enough, reading all the reviews in the world may give you great knowledge about how others feel about the clubs, you really need to try them out yourself. What feels good to me (or any other clown) may feel horrible to you.

69094871-608f-4f69-9960-8b2a04989594.jpeg

6b4179df-96c5-4bc0-b683-fdcc959c8670.jpeg

7bf0aea9-1b9c-41e0-95f8-862bd1c964ed.jpeg

cdda7000-0800-46db-afc3-4f6d6c9bd58b.jpeg

d4314841-9cc1-47b0-b58a-19137615cf2a.jpeg

9a51344b-5508-4a5e-9f0e-8be1b1a8b600.jpeg

• Like 3

Good review and very thorough. I do think those look better without the paint fill also.

I bought the 1102 irons (the only lefty option) a couple months ago and have been really happy with them so far. I was coming from cobra f7's looking to finally get into a forged cb type iron. After trying many of the others I was leaning towards the apex pros, I really liked the feel at impact, but then saw something for new level having a sale which made them a little more than half the cost of most of the other brands so I decided to give it a try. They are a little bigger than the others I was leaning toward but for my skill that's probably for the best and lefty beggars can't be choosers. so far they have been awesome to use and the forgiveness seems just as good as the cobras I was coming from, maybe even a little better as they have more consistent distance for me. Now I only wish they would come out with the weges in left handed to try those out.

My 623's are arriving today, so I'm on pins and needles. I do custom paintwork for other people and I usually use Citrustrip because I can put it on the clubs and walk away. Acetone will work, generally, on most clubs, but it takes a bit of elbow grease. However, with the New Level's, I was able to use acetone and the paint came right off.

902 reminds me of old MR23 Tourstage that it sold../miss.../need...

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

So I received my 623's today. I was hoping to get them out on the range and course today, but life happened and the wife needed me to build her a quilt display wall. But, I'm going out in the early morning to take them for a test drive.

I will say, though, my initial impression of the clubs is that I'm not impressed. The clubs are beautiful, don't get me wrong. But, I compared the 623's side-by-side (pictures to come) with my 902's, and to my learned eye, the 623's actually have a larger sole, especially in the toe area. Considering the 623's are supposed to be the muscle back of the group, this is surprising. Moreover, the 623 sole appears (and I may be exaggerating here, but pictures to come) to be twice the size of the sole on my Apex MB's. The 623 top line is pleasing and is definitely thinner than the 902 top line, however. Ultimately, playability is what matters most to me, so these could turn out to be the best clubs ever, but I am slightly concerned that the wider-than-expected sole could cause problems.

In a bad place I’m stuck between a great deal on 902s and spending big on Miura TC201

Titleist TSR3 9 Ventus Black TR 6X 
Titleist TSR3 15 Tensei Av Raw Orange 75TX 

Callaway UW 19 Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX
4 - AW Titleist T100s Project X 6.5 

Cleveland RTX Zip Raw, 54, FullFace 58 Project X 6.5 wedge

L.A.B Golf Mezz1 35/71 Garsen Quad Tour
Titleist Pro V1 2023

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/WG5ZKO44205P/image.jpg[/img]I have a combo set as previously mentioned. @Philomathesq I think you are correct regarding the toe section. Pictured is the 7 623 and 6 902. I would be really curious to see 2 7 irons side by side. The 623’s are really easy to hit and glad I split the set at the 7

Both look incredible!! I ordered a set of 902 Forged with Elevate 105 myself. I was DM'ing with them on Instagram I didn't realize it was the owner Eric. Super helpful and responsive. That's what really sold me the attention to detail. The online reviews were also excellent!! They ship Monday!!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I am a huge fan of Eric and New Level I started with the M Type wedges after being a Vokey guy forever. I really like the look of them. My only negative would be the amount of bounce in the 60. I moved on to the 902 irons, coming from 919F, and I could not be happier. I demoed the KBS TGI shaft and it was great. I love those irons.

IMO, you will be fine better attention to detail and customer service with any other company.

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

How would you assess the playability of the MODB-1 vs the 1126 irons? I've never played forged irons, but would love to give a set a try. I'm currently playing Honma XP-1's and really enjoying them. I have also played the Apex CF19's for the last year or so. Great irons and I really enjoy playing them but lack consistency in the long irons. Currently a 12-13 handicap.

@jjfcpa, I can’t comment on the MODB-1 or the 1126 irons, but I was around your handicap when I was fitted for the 902’s. The 902’s were every bit as forgiving as I could have hoped for, including in the 4 and 5. They neither for the models you asked about were around when I bought the 902’s, but I did try the 1031’s—I hit them too high so I went with the 902’s.
I’m not a high speed player by WRX standards, but I do swing the 7-iron around 92mph, so keep that in mind when viewing my opinion; a slower player would probably benefit from the 1031’s, 1126’s, or MODB-1’s.
While I’ve never hit the 1126’s or MODB-1’s, based on seeing them in person, I’d guess the 1126’s are more forgiving than the 902’s but similar length, while the MODB-1’s are similar in forgiveness but longer (they have much stronger lofts).
I don’t think you can go wrong with either. If you are good on distance, I’d go with the 902’s or 1126’s. If you need a little extra help on distance and height, I’d go with the 1031’s. If you want a hollow body iron, go with the MODB-1’s. However, these are just my opinions.

In late February I went for a fitting at the True Spec Golf at Pine Needles, NC.

I was playing MP-18 MB's and just wanted to see what else was out there, no real commitment to buy. I started off hitting all the usual suspects and nothing jumped out at me. The fitter then pulled out a New Level 902 head. I think I'd heard of them before but wasn't thinking 'I've got to hit this' but the results where very impressive. Easy to hit and a great ball flight, spin numbers etc... Right in the window I was looking for, the only issue was they went too far! I'm not looking for extra distance and my stock 6 iron is 190-195. The 906 was up around 205 and I wasn't confident with the gappings.

However, I loved the feel and decided to send Eric an email with my trackman numbers. He suggested the 623-M and we started to build that set up. There was a 10% up charge on the shaft but that was all. True Spec wanted a crazy amount of money in up charges etc...

I've had these in the bag for 3 months now and they are very solid. A slight but more forgiving than the MP-18 MB's but still have that blade look and feel. One shot I have found that is a lot easier to hit with these is the low punch, runner from under trees. Thankfully I don't have to hit it that often but for some reason it doesn't turn over like a lot of that other irons I've had.

Quality set of clubs and Eric is fantastic to work with.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking for a forged iron... not just to see how the feel compares to cast, but to improve my game. I did send an email to New Level and made an inquiry via their fitting option.

It looks like the 1126 irons with slightly stronger lofts (2 degrees) would be comparable to the XP-1's that I'm currently playing. They don't really provide a lot of info on their website regarding which model is best suited to a golfer; however, I can kind of judge that based on the offset.

Looking forward to more suggestions regarding the 1126 irons and the MODB-1's.

Based on the above, the MODB-1 may be the best option because they are already two degrees stronger than the 1126’s. The New Levels have a softened leading edge for better turf interaction and strengthening the lofts on the 1126’s by two degrees could impact that feature in a negative way.