MEMBER REVIEWS: Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls! See What They Are Saying!

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/FL52D6FD98TA/wilsontesting.jpg[/img]We have members testing out the new Wilson Staff Model golf ball from Wilson's new Baller Box Program. Please feel free to ask the testers any questions you might have and they will ne happy to respond! The testers are...
@braincramp52 @asumnerdawg @player922000 @Nels55 @RobYakes @theedaveg

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Wilson for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Looking forward to feedback on this one. .

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just got these in the mail last weekend and was able to put them into play. Here's pictures of them right out of the box.

putter2.jpg

putter.jpg

putter3.jpg

putter1.jpgOut of the box I love the look of them, very simple with a sleek classic look. The sightline was very pleasing to look at when lining up my putts. I normally play Vice Pro Plus balls so that's what I compared it against. Off the teeI would say this ball performed pretty similar to the Vice Pro Plus with a touch more distance on the ones I hit good. Around the greens I definitely noticed this ball had good feel and picked up spin off my wedges really well. What I was really impressed with is how well the balls held up throughout the round. I hit plenty of wayward drives and these balls went through plenty of tree limbs and leaves as well as dirt paths but held up very well and didn't look worn down like some others do. I'm definitely impressed thus far and look forward to using these balls over the next few rounds to see how they stack up against some other balls.

I'm disappointed they didn't come in the baller box!

Looking forward to the reviews, @player922000 what's your swing speed? I"m not familiar with the Vice line, what are the Pro Plus comparable to? Looking forward to more information.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Cool, thanks! Hope you enjoy them... The one answer I'd like to see after you've put these through their paces is: What price would they need to be for you to buy them? Vice? Snell? ProV1?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Okay, I got mine today. 4 piece urethane:

box2.jpg

First thing I did was to spin them up on my check and go as I do that for all golf balls that I play. LOL I have a better chance of not hitting a wrong ball with the ball marked up with the line on it:

checkandgo.jpgThese ball spun up as well as any dozen I have ever done. They were very quiet and the marker drew a nice line. One thing that I noticed that I have not seen before is that every ball spun up with the line close to the double line on the ball something like this:

img-0747-jpg.jpgLooking forward to trying these out!

Well, I thought that I would collect some data on my skytrak comparing the Staff ball to a brand new ProV1. This pic is after hitting each ball ten times:

staffmodelvsprov1.jpgHere is a look at the data hitting a seven iron and alternating shots:

staffmodelvsprov1-data.jpgNo difference that I can see hitting a seven iron. Also I could not tell any difference in feel between the two. Of course as the data shows I am not an elite ball striker LOL.

Got mine yesterday. Here a few pics to compare them to the FG Tour. Im a fan of the updated graphics and alignment. Off the putter there is a slightly more audible click from the Staff, which is what I prefer. Not quite as audible as an X model ball though. Wilson has done a great job making it feel more firm off the putter and wedges without a harsh feeling. Testing these Saturday and will provide updates after the round.

photo-2020-06-09-01-29-56-pm.png

wilson-staff-ball.jpg

wilson-staff-ball-2.jpgReceived mine last week and it's been very wet here in south GA so play has been minimal. I'm coming from a gamer FG Tour ball that I absolutely love. Initial impressions are the new Staff balls remind me tons of a ProV1. Comparing to the FG Tour, one thing that jumps out is the increase in sustainability. The Staff balls are greatly superior in taking cover damage. I have new wedges and they absolutely eat up FG Tours. Also, FG Tours yellow after 9 holes of play. FG Tours aren't a brilliant white to begin with and show wear much quicker. The Staff balls do not. I have also found Staff balls have superior green-side spin. Off the driver (I do not have a trackman or anything but I know my normal spots on the course I play often), I'm not sure I've gained much. This is 18 holes of play mind you. I can't tell a difference in iron carry distance either. Definitely a firmer ball but nothing drastic. Again, reminds me of a ProV1. Maybe a touch firmer than Srixon Z Star? Not much difference in feel so far that I've noticed on full shots. Great feel off putter. Very responsive, crisp sound. I didn't receive the baller box but attached are some photos. Great ball so far through minimal testing. Will follow up with a comprehensive breakdown in coming weeks.

Would like to thank Wilson and GolfWRX for allowing me to test the golf balls. I love that Wilson has thrown their hat in the premium category with another offering. As a lover of the old brands that've lasted the test of time, I'm glad Wilson keeps plugging away. I'm not good enough to game them, but the Staff blades are works of art and with GW winning the US Open, hopefully more golfers give Wilson a fair shake. A storied history to say the least. I hope I love this Staff ball as much as the FG Tour. Ideally, it's an improved FG Tour that can last more than 9 holes without showing war wounds. I can take a touch firmer feel.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Received my balls in the mail yesterday. Big thanks to GolfWRX and Wilson for the opportunity. Playing Saturday and also plan to do a side-by-side over the weekend on my friend's simulator to give some data. Pictures below but here's some initial first thoughts. Keep in mind all of this is just my opinion.Packaging:

Box and individual sleeves are good quality. I thought we were going to receive the dozen in the "Baller Box" packaging, but it looks like this might be the retail packaging. I think that the box itself is a little busy. If you're Wilson and want to sell this model as a tour-level ball, I maybe would be more drawn to it with less graphics and either all-white, black or grey. The window in the box also contradicts the "tour level" branding (there's an image on the back of the box of the graphics on the ball so the window seems unnecessary). Ball Graphics:

Most golfers can tell almost immediately whether a ball has a urethane cover or not based on how the graphics print on the cover, and the Staff Model graphics are consistent with that urethane look. Pros: I like the black/white "WS" shield logo and the sight line is great. Almost all of the dozen have the sight line printed directly on the parallel equator of the ball between the dimple pattern (cough cough TM!) and of the 1-2 that don't, it's barely off the mark. Cons: I'm not a fan of the huge "STAFF" printed in uppercase. Could have left that out or added it to the sight line (so it reads "STAFF MODEL" instead of just "MODEL" in the sight line). Also think the serif font for the ball number is a bit of a toss-up, probably would have liked the font to match the "STAFF" font. Feel:

In a first test I rolled a bunch (roughly 50) of putts using ProV1s, TP5s, and Staff Model on my putting mat at home. Tried to roll them without looking at the branding. No feel difference on the putter face from 3-5 foot range. Interested to see if I notice it on longer putts with more force as I prefer a clickier (harder) ball on the greens and don't use anything softer than ProV1 or TP5 (main reason why I got rid of my Chromesoft and Chromesoft X's when I had them).

More updates to come...

img-6106-jpg.jpg

img-6108-jpg.jpg

img-6110-jpg.jpg

img-6111-jpg.jpg

img-6107-jpg.jpg

• Like 1

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Agree and hope they can break into the younger demographic. They put out some quality products

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05

As others have stated, they truly feel like a Prov1 (last gen; haven’t hit a Prov1 in a year or so) to me. Maybe not quite as firm. Comparable feel to srixon z star maybe tad firmer.

Gamer/Backup

Will these be sold online only? I kinda dig the subscription model, especially as my weekly visits to GG has ceased due to COVID, but even with ProV 1 performance they might have a hard time selling at a similar price point. If it is on line only I would think they would come in at a lower price since the middle man is out of the equation..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Pricing is always an interesting game... I wouldn’t expect the subscription model to save a significant amount of money.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Everyone else has posted some good pics already so I don't need to be redundant. Anyway, here are a few thoughts.

Looks : This ball is in a different class as far as looks go. Just a classy looking golf ball if one can get excited over the looks of a golf ball..... which I can.

Distance : I couldn't distinguish any noticeable difference between the Wilson and the Snell MTB-X or ProV1.

Spin : It could be my imagination but it seemed like I could fade and draw the Wilson ball just a tad better. I'm not sure if it's the ball or if I was just swinging better than usual. Spin off my irons and wedges seemed to be as good as any ball I've played. Can't say it was better but certainly not bad.

Durability : The Wilson Staff ball might be the most durable I've ever played. I thinned a couple of iron shots pretty bad and saw no signs of any damage. My home course is very tree lined and I didn't even notice any marks after some pretty hard contact with a big oak trying to stay under some limbs.

Feel : Excellent feeling ball off of everything! I hit as good of a 7 iron as I can hit and I won't use the word "butter" but dang it felt good off the Wilson blades. In my world feel off the putter is the most important quality of a golf ball and the Staff ball delivers in aces.

Conclusion : Is this ball good enough to make me switch from the Snell MTB-X ? At $13 a dozen more I'm not sure yet but I want to get a few more rounds in with them. I will say the Wilson ball a serious contender. I love Titleist balls too and I can say if you're a die hard ProV1 or ProV1X player you owe it to yourself to try a dozen of the Wilson Staff balls. Heck of a golf ball.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I played 18 holes with one of the Wilson Staff balls today and it performed very well and it held up extremely well. As far as I can tell the ball plays the same as a ProV1. Here is a picture after the round was over:

18holes2-jpg.jpgI am also doing a long term durability test on skytrak with another ball and after 180 hits with my five iron my average ball speed is actually a bit higher then it was at the start of the test so that ball is holding up very well so far.

Just played another 18 with these balls and here are my thoughts:

spin - definitely up to par if not better spin than my vice pro plus balls. Hit a 3 iron from 210 and my ball only ended up about 5 feet from my ball mark. Also spins well off my wedges but I was more impressed with the spin off my irons.

distance - still not very noticeable difference in distance so I would say up to par with the vice pro plus

feel - big fan of how these balls feel off my irons, as pure as any ball I’ve used. Also has great feel off my wedges and my putter. I’m really falling in love with the alignment mark on these Wilson balls, super easy to line up and follow.

durability - I can’t say enough about how well these golf balls hold up. Hit quite a few trees and it took multiple tree hits to really scuff up this ball. At the price point I think durability adds a ton of value.

overall- definitely impressed by these balls and I love the look. They can stand up to any golf ball on the market.

Okay, I played another 18 holes early this morning with this ball. A ball surviving 36 holes at my course with my game is close to a miracle LOL. The ball has held up really well and I believe that the performance is the same now as it was when I took it out of the box. Somehow it has not hit a cart path but it has hit a few trees and been in a creek:

36holes-jpg.jpg