GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Summer Golf Trip: Sand Valley or Erin Hills?

secretmidam ·  
secretmidamsecretmidam Members  1191WRX Points: 59Handicap: 6.5Posts: 1,191 Platinum Tees

Making my first golf trip in quite some time. I am choosing between Sand Valley or Erin Hills (unless I am missing somewhere in the midwest that you can recommend?). All input is appreciated!

Posted:

WITB
PING G30 - PING Tour 65s w/Lamkin Crossline Full Cord +2 Wraps
PING G30 14.5+ - OBAN Revenge 7 04 w/Lamkin Crossline Full Cord +2 Wraps
PING G30 19 - OBAN Revenge Hybrid 04 w/Lamkin Crossline Full Cord +2 Wraps
PING IE1 3-PW, UW - KBS Tour, White Dot, +1/2, w/PING ID8 Gold Cord +2 Wraps
PING Tour Glide - KBS Tour, Green Dot, +3/4 w/PING ID8 Gold Cord +2 Wraps
PING Ketsch Cadence TR - Orange Dot 388 Grams, Blue (Straight), SuperStroke Black/White FLATSO 1.0

Comments

• ND2005ND2005 Members  289WRX Points: 78Posts: 289 Greens

Sand Valley is more of a "destination" I would say - 2 on site courses plus an 18 hole short course - with more dining options.

If I had to pick one that would be my preference.

What we did for our trip to SV was tack on one extra night at the end and play Erin, then fly out of Milwaukee to get home.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
    Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
    Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
    Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
    Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
    Artisan 0217, Customer #62
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers  1779WRX Points: 749Posts: 1,779 Platinum Tees

I love Erin Hills. One of my favorite courses. I'd go to Sand Valley though. Much better destination for a "trip." I live in Chicago so Erin is a short drive in the morning, I couldn't really see myself staying there for a couple days.

Mammoth Dunes at Sand Valley may be the most fun course in the country. Sand Valley course is a great course, a little bit more challenging, but also a great time. The resort as a whole is awesome. Great pro shop and food, the staff was great, just an awesome atmosphere there. Plus you have the Sand Box par 3 to play.

You're going to get recommendations for Kohler, Lawsonia and others, but I would 100% do Sand Valley. Depending on your trip you can do a few places in Wisconsin, but Sand Valley has it all if you stay in 1 place.

Posted:
  • Drwoods2017Drwoods2017 Members  199WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 199 Fairways

Yeah Sand Valley if you're spending multiple days there. You really can't go wrong either way. Erin Hills might be my favorite course I've ever played but Sand Valley has more for a trip. Don't miss out on the sand box. Par 3's have become one of my favorite parts of golf trips and that one is fantastic.

Posted:
  • secretmidamsecretmidam Members  1191WRX Points: 59Handicap: 6.5Posts: 1,191 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to book hopefully next week! So Mammoth is a more playable course vs. Sand Valley?

Posted:

WITB
    PING Ketsch Cadence TR - Orange Dot 388 Grams, Blue (Straight), SuperStroke Black/White FLATSO 1.0

• Drwoods2017Drwoods2017 Members  199WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 199 Fairways

The fairways on mammoth fell like they are about 100 yard wide on most holes which makes it way more playable. Sand Valley is definitely harder but both are a lot of fun. Mammoth also has a few driveable holes with weird greens including one shaped like a C.

Posted:

I thought they were both very playable. You would have to really mess up to be "out" of a hole on Mammoth though. Huge fairways, but you really get rewarded for being in the right spot. Hitting a speed slot, or having the right angle in will be much more rewarding than just hitting the fairway. But for an average golfer, they can bomb it out there and mostly not worry about being in trouble and having a shot to hit the green. Greens are way they will get you. Just a really fun course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • monty09monty09 Members  336WRX Points: 100Posts: 336 Greens

SV is more fun and better hang... the sandbox is perfect with a 6 pack..

Posted:
  • golfingforfungolfingforfun Members  43WRX Points: 17Posts: 43 Bunkers

Erin Hills may be one of my favorite courses of all time. If you have an extra night after Sand Valley I would play a round in the afternoon, then 36 the following day if you have time. We are a group of 8 right now in Kohler and we played Erin our first morning then drove over.

Posted:
  • krawchukerykrawchukery Members  77WRX Points: 77Posts: 77 Fairways

Having lived in WI and golfed both, you can't go wrong with either. Erin Hill's would be my vote, given the ease of access from major airport/large metropolitan area and ability to play other great less known courses close by.

Posted:
  • briggek8717briggek8717 Members  29WRX Points: 48Handicap: 3.2Posts: 29 Bunkers

You will have a lot more fun at Sand Valley and Mammoth than you will at Erin Hills. If you are looking to play 36 ad have more fun, definitely go to Sand Valley. If you are looking for more of a challenge and to play a course where a major was played, go to Erin Hills.

Posted:
  • golfnut071golfnut071 Members  4WRX Points: 7Posts: 4 Starters

Sand Valley would be my #1 choice. I have played both SV and EH and they are fun to play. If you want to add a couple extra courses near Sand Valley, Lake Arrowhead also has two courses and are virtually across the street from SV.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23800WRX Points: 7,657Posts: 23,800 Titanium Tees

I'd suggest Sentry World. 'About as different from SV as you can get.

Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
    • TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
    • Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
    • Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
    • Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 52 SS, 56 WS, and 60 WS AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Loved Sentry World also. I think they might still be closed though. If not definitely give it a go.

Posted:
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1892WRX Points: 223Posts: 1,892 Platinum Tees

Yep, remain closed. Just sent an email that mentioned maybe opening in September, but it’s still TBD.

Posted:
    PING G410 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Bridgestone J40 CB or Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
    Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Double Wide Flow
    Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
    Snell MTB X
  • trock123trock123 Members  11WRX Points: 8Posts: 11 Bunkers

Erin Hills if you have just one day or night. Otherwise a longer stay would recommend Sand Valley

Posted:
  • kizdockizdoc UA Wildcat ClubWRX  453WRX Points: 94Handicap: 8.4Posts: 453 ClubWRX

We're doing a guys golf trip to Erin Hills, then driving to Sand Valley and staying on property for 3 days at the end of August. Can't wait.

Posted:
    Titleist TS4 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design Tour AD DI HYB 95X
    Miura Giken Craftsman MB 5003 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus Tour 120S
    Miura 1957 51Y, 55C Nippon N.S. Pro Modus Tour Wedge 115
    Titleist Vokey 260.06 Nippon N.S. Pro Modus Tour Wedge 125
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 34/355

Advertisement
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1892WRX Points: 223Posts: 1,892 Platinum Tees

You won't be disappointed! Only thing I would do differently would be to add on a round at Lawsonia Links if you can on the way to or from SV, but I'm a Lawsonia proselytizer...😉

Posted:
    PING G410 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
    Bridgestone J40 CB or Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
    Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Double Wide Flow
    Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
    Snell MTB X
  • ChicagofigureChicagofigure Members  2WRX Points: 15Posts: 2 Starters

I'm doing 2 full days at SV, then heading to Lawsonia, and rounding out the trip with Erin hills

Posted:

Both are. SV and MD are amazing walks though. Erin Hills gets a lot of talk about it being super hard, but I think you are a normal walker it wasn't bad at all.

Posted:
  • JNewstedJNewsted Members  747WRX Points: 101Posts: 747 Golden Tee

I find Erin Hills to be a great experience, but Sand Valley is an entire weekend of max out fun.

Posted:
  • 1lovesputters1lovesputters Southern CaliforniaMembers  751WRX Points: 101Handicap: 4Posts: 751 Golden Tee

Is Sand Valley now in prime condition? Do the latest groups who have played it believe the Greens are mature?

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Triple Diamond SubZero 10.5 Speeder 661 v6
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero Tour 16.5 Tensei Blue 70 CK Pro
    TM SIM Max 19 (AD-IZ)
    PXG GEN 2 22,25 (AD-DI)
    PXG GEN 3 311P,T 6-W KBS Tour Black
    Vokey SM8 Raw Custom Grind 50.08, 56.14 KBS Tour Black
    Hi Toe RAW 60 KBS Tour Black
    PXG GunBoat GEN1

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25612WRX Points: 2,830Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,612 ClubWRX

You can use a push cart on both SV courses while Erin Hills is either caddie or carry, and if you're going to play EH, go caddie.

Although you can't go wrong, Mammoth Dunes is about as fun of a course you can play with SV not too far behind. And if you happen to meet one of the girls at the bag drop who goes by Bubbles, tell her VNutz says hi.

Posted:
  • secretmidamsecretmidam Members  1191WRX Points: 59Handicap: 6.5Posts: 1,191 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the suggestions. Settled on Sand Valley. Played Mammoth Dunes for the first trip, and The Sandbox. Mammoth Dunes did not disappoint. Lodge was amazing! Sitting by the fire pits watching the sunset and seeing the course at dusk was breathtaking. Already planning my second trip.

Posted:

WITB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.