***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Most Embarrassing Golf Confession

13»

Comments

• Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees

I had sort of a similar situation last week when driving off the cart path on a par-3 is prohibited. The cart would not go forward anymore and I was ready to call into the Clubhouse and tell them my cart's batteries had died and I need a new cart. I then put it into reverse and was able to go real slow until I got back to the cart path and realized why it was doing that. It recognizes that you are in a forbidden area and kills the cart from going forward. It wasn't ebarrassing because nobody noticed but of course me.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jmc1313jmc1313 Members  4WRX Points: 19Posts: 4 Starters

At my old club, the 9th hole was a dogleg right. The first 240 yards are straight and level, then a steep drop and the dogleg right. The cart path is on the left, then a narrow section of rough then the road to the lower part of the clubhouse.

A good drive catches the downslope and leaves a short iron in. I left it on the edge of the drop, about 150 to the pin. I struck the ball well but sent it hard left. It hits the cart path and bounces really high, then the street, the street again, the concrete circle around the flagpole, the turnaround, hits a barrel of range balls (really loud) and ricochets onto the grass surrounding the putting green.

I have a 200 yard walk of shame and it’s a busy Sunday morning. Takes forever and everyone is watching, including the restaurant on the second floor. I finally reach my ball and look for a place to drop it. There are no stakes anywhere. I figured I was still inbounds, took out my rangefinder and shot the pin, hit a wedge on and 2 putted for a bogey.

Really never lived that down.

Posted:
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1569WRX Points: 346Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,569 Platinum Tees

Gross Match play event, through 13 I am 2 under and I am 3 holes up. Tee shot on par 3 with a 9 iron hits the flag near the green and goes into the water. My only drop is way off to the side. Proceed to blade that one over the green OB. Playing my next hit it fat, then hit it thin, then thin again down into the water. I ended up with a given 6 footer for a 11 on the hole after some back and forth's chipping. The guy I was playing hit his first two after me into the water, he made a 25 footer for a 8. Unfortunately for me I was so wrapped up in how off the rails I had gone I probably should have given him the hole earlier.

This was the semi finals. I proceeded to lose 15, 16, and 17. I won 18 and then holed out for eagle from the fairway on the first playoff hole to win.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping G400 Max on Tour 75 shaft
    Fairway - TM M5 on Project X HZRDOUS Yellow
    Hybrid - Ping G400 on Tour shaft
    Irons - (5) Cobra Speed Zone on Project X Catalyst 100
    Irons - (6) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons (7-W) Srixon 765 on Recoil 110
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 4 58* and 62* all on UST Recoil 110
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylor Made Spider Tour
    Ball - Srixon Z Star or Z Star XV
  • fillwelixfillwelix Boston AreaMembers  1531WRX Points: 379Posts: 1,531 Platinum Tees

That's why I love match play lol I can use all my bad shots on one hole

Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade SIM 9.5* Ventus Black 6X
    Taylormade SIM 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
    Taylormade SIM 19* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
    Taylormade P760 4-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X Tour
  • me05501me05501 Members  445WRX Points: 36Posts: 445 Greens

I was playing with a close friend and a not-as-close friend at a super hard course that plays very slow on the weekends. We had waited on every shot. We were standing on the ninth tee on a pace for a 6-hour round when we decided that would be our last hole for the day. It was just excruciating.

Somehow I hit a really good drive and would up in the "go zone" on this par five. My partners both hit their shots while I waited for the green to clear. They were in no hurry up there and I was feeling the heat from the group standing on the tee.

When it was finally safe to hit, I rushed my shot and cold-topped it. It went about 30 yards. And that's when the entire situation caught up with me and I boiled over. I carelessly helicoptered my four wood as hard as I could down the fairway. It whizzed over the roof of the not-as-close friend's cart just as he was stopping and stepping out of it. The club didn't hit him, thank God, but it didn't miss by more than a foot.

I was absolutely mortified and apologized profusely and repeatedly to no avail. We had a 90-minute drive home that seemed like a lot longer.

That guy never spoke to me again and I don't blame him.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HyzerFlipDGHyzerFlipDG Members  94WRX Points: 56Posts: 94 Fairways

Why was he standing in a spot where a mishit ball could hit him anyway?

Posted:
  • golftejasgolftejas Members  474WRX Points: 105Handicap: 8Posts: 474 Greens

Back in college, a fun round on Sun morning after a late Sat night of drinking. 1st shot of the morning, my playing partner pulls his drive hard left, hits a tree, and the ball comes back towards the tee like a lazy fly ball to a center fielder. He catches the ball, turns and looks at us with a stunned "f--- it" smile and throws the ball as hard as he can down the fairway. When we stop laughing another buddy says "Good throw - play it!"

Posted:

• D-TRAIND-TRAIN IowaMembers  94WRX Points: 102Posts: 94 Fairways

Some good laughs in this thread!

Posted:
  • GA_GolferGA_Golfer Members  20WRX Points: 12Handicap: 6Posts: 20 Bunkers

I played college golf at a small school (was about a 2 handicap at the time).

On the way to my first ever golf tournament as a freshman, my teammate and I had a wreck. Not seriously injured (we still played) but jarred us a bit mentally for sure.

Got to the course 15 minutes before my tee time. Literally topped my drive 50 yards off the first tee.

Shot a 93 that day in a freaking college golf tournament. I was the highest score by 8 strokes.

My teammate that was in the car with me managed an 83 I believe. This was 15 years ago.

Posted:
  • taporsnap17taporsnap17 Members  831WRX Points: 95Posts: 831 Golden Tee

Booked a Saturday morning slot at a course that's not my home course. Members hadn't booked as the forecast was supposed to be quite poor but it turned out to be a great day. Members tried to get in ahead of my and my group as it was a prime morning time. Pros said no go, get in behind them..... so group of about 20 all lined up behind me on the first tee.

I pulled out my off the rack driver (these days I've realised that driver is overkill for that hole) that I couldn't NOT slice to save my life.. The tee is a raised tee and it so happened to be into a huge wind that day. I stepped up and crowned the ball straight up into the air.... It got to the point where I swear the ball stopped going up and actually started coming back into me before plopping into a bush around 30yards in front of us. I turned around and the look of digust the kid that couldn't have been older than 14 gave me I'll never forget lol. I bet he was thinking "What do you mean I've got to follow this joker around for the next 4 hrs?!?!?!??!!"

Posted:

Advertisement
  • salmon1asalmon1a Members  224WRX Points: 77Posts: 224 Fairways

Last week it was shanking a pitch and almost hitting the mower guy - I'll let you know what this week brings...

Posted:
  • ScottFScottF Members  19WRX Points: 20Posts: 19 Bunkers

I bought a practice net and hitting mat for the first time a few weeks ago. Not being familiar enough with nets, I’d set it up in the back yard a bit too far from the mat. The first full shot I took with a 50* wedge cleared the net, landed in the street 2 houses away, came down on the roof of a pickup truck and disappeared into a garage with the door open. I sheepishly went over to meet the guy who lived in the house. No real damage done, fortunately, he laughed it off.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.