GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Low Trajectory - is it a problem?

2»

Comments

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16879WRX Points: 1,030Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,879 Titanium Tees

You're correct, feel can affect ones swing, especially if it's not grooved. But when a swing is grooved, like mine, feel becomes trained even trustworthy and repeatable.

I am a feel player as opposed to mechanical. To me, I see the shot, assess, address the ball and then execute the subtilties needed in my mechanics to get the desired shot result, and don't always use yardage in the process. I was a 700 meter shooter in my youth so estimating yardage with my eyes is kinda second nature. If I see a slight fade is needed to access a pin, I don't directly think about exact face angle needed for a baby fade, just sense the shot result and execute without identifying individual mechanical details. A friend is a good golfer as well but mechanical about every aspect of his game. He gets bogged down by it too.

Sunday during my round on a dog-leg right hole I saw the desired fade around the tree line to access the green, pulled 3i and executed the shot without details. Also, had a little pitch to a back pin. I stood there looked at the tilted back/front green, and pin in the back right quadrant and bunker 6' to the right. Without measuring distance instinct had me pull PW and executed a less than half swing shot, ball hit checked, bounced once and trickled up to 6" right of the pin. There was no conscious thought process involved, just felt the desired shot.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110/i125 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members  1393WRX Points: 294Handicap: 10Posts: 1,393 Platinum Tees

I like the post with the Trackman height numbers. As a 75 MPH guy, I doubt if I get 26 yards height from my 6 iron. That's a pretty tall tree. And, I hit it higher than similar speed guys I play with. So I think that most of us in that speed range just don't get enough height. A few times in the threads about hot irons and jacked lofts, I have moaned that I want to see hot irons with 30 degree 6 irons. I'd be getting out the credit card. My answer to how high should I be hitting it is, "Higher!"

There is an article/video on the WRX main page saying that angle of descent is the most important iron fitting factor. I agree. And they want to see 50 degrees coming down. That's steep. Again, that's not realistic for a slower swinger, I don't think. We could do it with utility woods, but probably lose accuracy.

For driver, Ian Fraser of TXG says your optimum driver height in feet should equal your 5 iron swing speed.

Posted:
    M4 Driver
    3, 5, & 7 Woods
    Hybrids have been banished
    4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
    56º, 62º Wedges
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • JifmoliJifmoli Vanuatu/Solomon IslandsMembers  65WRX Points: 60Handicap: 22Posts: 65 Bunkers

I reckon it is harder for a fast swinger to play regular shafts than for an average swinger to play stiff shafts. Just because a shaft is stiff doesn't mean it automatically launches low. Weight may be more of an influence.

Keep at it abd hopefully it improves. I switched from a 9.5o driver with 60gr shaft to same lofted driver with 85gr shaft. Took me months before I got some good loft abd distance out of that one. Just needed to get used to it.

Posted:
  • MarkTheSarkMarkTheSark Members  73WRX Points: 31Handicap: WorkPosts: 73 Bunkers

Thanks everyone for the considerable feedback. I sincerely do appreciate the voices.

Posted:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme

5 Wood - Taylor Made AeroBurner

3 Hybrid - Wilson HB5

4-PW - Hogan BH5

GW, SW - Titleist Vokey

Putter - Yes! Eleanor

Ball - Wilson fifty

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.