GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Thoughts on G410 vs G710 & stiff vs reg flex

pkshooter ·  
pkshooterpkshooter Members  1596WRX Points: 73Handicap: 6Posts: 1,596 Platinum Tees

I’m getting the itch for some new irons. I currently play Ping G with Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff shafts. I am looking at G410 or G710 and likely the Recoil ES 780 shaft.

My hC was down to 5 but with less playing time in the last two years probably closer to a 9 at the moment. I am not a very good ball striker. I am a slider and tend to hit a bit fat. My swing has some flaws but I can typically get my timing down to square at impact and hit irons fairly straight with a little draw. I loose a lot of power due to my swing mechanics on iron shots, but I don’t have this issue with hybrids, FW, and driver. I have no problem hitting my 3 hybrid 215 and my 3 wood 240. I’m 45 and in decent shape. From fittings this week my 7 iron speed is around 75 mph. 7 iron carry showing low 140s and low 150s total distance, although on course my 7 iron is my go to for 160 yds. On the sim, 7 iron launch is about 23*. I tend to hit iron shots fairly high. My driver swing speed is 100 - 105 on sim and typically hit in the 270s.

I’ve never tried regular flex clubs, but that is way the fitter is recommending based on my 7 iron swing speed. I’ve also never had graphite clubs, but my shaft recommendation has always been for lower weight shafts (ideally ones that can bring down ball flight). I tried the Recoil 780 F3 regular flex and it felt amazing in both the G710 and G410. They didn’t have a F4 stiff flex in their cart for me to try. I hit the G410 and G710 nearly identically and both are about 1/2 club longer than my current G irons.

My thoughts are that the G410 and G710 will perform nearly identical for me and it is really just a matter of personal preference on black vs chrome, sound (G710 seemed to have a louder impact), and of course price. Any advice on the Recoil F3 vs F4 given my background. Any downsides If I go with the F4 and it is stiffer than the recommendation since I have no issues getting the ball in the air? I much preferred the feel of the Recoil to the stock Alta shaft.

Any thought are appreciated.

Posted:
Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* Alta CB
Ping G410 19* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G25 23* Hybrid TFC Stiff
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*ES
Ping Anser Milled
WITB Link

Comments

• gdb99gdb99 Members  1967WRX Points: 274Handicap: 5.6Posts: 1,967 Platinum Tees

Just wondering, during your fitting, do you feel like you were swinging your 7 iron as fast as you do on the course? I know I get a little "claustrophobic", and don't swing normally.

I ask becuase my 7 iron is around 80-82 MPH, and carry is around 150. Driver SS is around 95ish.

Just seems like with a driver SS of 100-105, 75 MPH 7 iron seems really slow. And when you say your 7 iron is your go to club from 160, that makes more sense. I would guess your 7 iron SS would be more like 85-87.

I have tried different Recoils in the past. I'm border line regular and stiff flex.

If your 7 iron club is really 160, I would go with the F4. I think your SS was slow in the fitting.

Between the 410 and 710, whichever suits your eye better.

Good luck!

Posted:
    Srixon Z-585, 10.5, Project X HAZRDUS Red Regular Flex 
    Ping G15 16.5*, Aldila NV 85 Regular Flex Pinky
    Cleveland Launcher DST 20.5*, Redboard Regular Flex 
    Callaway FT, 4-PW, Stock Graphite Stiff Flex 
    Vokey SM7 52F, Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 56M Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 60M Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Odyssey White Hot #2
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pkshooterpkshooter Members  1596WRX Points: 73Handicap: 6Posts: 1,596 Platinum Tees

I definitely don’t feel very comfortable indoors on a simulator for whatever reason. I play with a rangefinder, so I have a pretty darn good idea of how I hit on the course, but I went to two different golf stores and my sim results were really consistent - and both show nearly a club shorter than what it seems I hit on the course. I did bring my own 8 iron as a baseline and it had lower swing speeds and distances too.

Do the recoils F4 play like a true stiff flex.

Posted:
    Ping G410 9* Alta CB
    Ping G410 15* Alta CB
    Ping G410 19* Hybrid Alta CB
    Ping G25 23* Hybrid TFC Stiff
    Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*ES
    Ping Anser Milled
    WITB Link
  • gdb99gdb99 Members  1967WRX Points: 274Handicap: 5.6Posts: 1,967 Platinum Tees

I played the Recoil 95's in F4, and were pretty stout for me.

I'm not sure how the 780"s play.

Any chance to bring a couple demo's to the course? That would seem like a good place to start.

Posted:
    Srixon Z-585, 10.5, Project X HAZRDUS Red Regular Flex 
    Ping G15 16.5*, Aldila NV 85 Regular Flex Pinky
    Cleveland Launcher DST 20.5*, Redboard Regular Flex 
    Callaway FT, 4-PW, Stock Graphite Stiff Flex 
    Vokey SM7 52F, Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 56M Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Vokey SM7 60M Steelfiber i110 Regular Flex
    Odyssey White Hot #2
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members  1606WRX Points: 331Handicap: 7Posts: 1,606 Platinum Tees

Why are you going to graphite?

150 carry with a 7 iron is well acceptable for public play.

Ive played F4 110 and 95 and they play true to flex but launch the ball mid to high.

Tempo and loop movement in your swing also determines flex, not just swing speed or the shaft that helps you find the swing spot consistently.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST200 Diamana Blue 7.5*
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 12.5*
    Ping G410 Crossover 17* Tour Shaft
    Ping i210 (3-PW), Px LZ 6.0
    Wilson Staff Model 54* SW and 58* LW
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19659WRX Points: 1,711Posts: 19,659 Titanium Tees

I'm a huge fan of the Recoil 95's and play the F4's. With your swing speed those should be about perfect for you. Soft step them a time or two if you want a softer feel. Great great shafts.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • TommyjTommyj Members  700WRX Points: 249Posts: 700 Golden Tee

Something seems a bit off with your distances, a 270 yard driver usually results in more than 140's with the 7 iron. I not sure I would make a decision based on the SIM numbers. If your 7 iron on course is really 160 total and you are comfortable with stiff in the Modus 105, then you should be fine with the F4.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs Members  2152WRX Points: 167Handicap: 2.3Posts: 2,152 Platinum Tees

You better hit those 780 ES - IMO you're going to spin these uncontrollably into the wind= distance loss

As mentioned - Recoil 95 would be a much better option, especially coming from Modus 105

Posted:
    Ping Sunday Bag
    9 Clubs of Freedom
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers  8482WRX Points: 488Handicap: ScotchPosts: 8,482 Titanium Tees

For a fitting, we go with head first, then fine tune with shaft. If you are hitting the ball too high, maybe look at 210s? But if you like the G series, 410 would be my choice based on looks and price. The Recoils are a high launching shaft, so if you are wanting to stick with graphite, go Alta. If you go steel, DG105 have a bit lower flight vs. Modus 105. Modus has a more stable tip to help with your draw, if that is your desire. For laughs, try Ping's web-fit. Lot better than the older version and is pretty good to narrow things down.

Posted:
    Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.