GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Retrieve OB balls or...

Jcbgt106 ·  
Jcbgt106Jcbgt106 Members  35WRX Points: 26Handicap: 1.5Posts: 35 Bunkers

You are playing a golf course with homes on the property. Your tee shot comes to rest out of bounds only a few feet away from the white markers, you accept the penalty, but do you cross into the homeowners property to retrieve your brand new ProV1?

Posted:

Retrieve OB balls or...

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29836WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,836 Titanium Tees
    Heck yea- I am going to get my ball

Yes for sure. If you buy a house on a golf course you gotta accept guys are going to grab their balls from your yard. Especially if there is no fence. I understand the private property thing and all that but i think there's a gray area here. You look the other way on guys grabbing their balls, and in return you get probably 100 or so new Pro V1s every year from guys too lazy to do it

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043 Members  5140WRX Points: 2,344Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,140 Titanium Tees

At my home club, the Homeowner Covenants specifically require the homeowners to allow golfers to collect their errant golf balls. But I will never drive a buggy onto private property, or even my motor-trolley, I don't even take a club off of the golf course, and of course I'll never take a swing from someone else's property. Now if I'm away from home, I do my best to find out what the local custom is and follow it.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• mokedaddymokedaddy Members  1374WRX Points: 193Posts: 1,374 Platinum Tees

It’s considered trespassing around here but I’m not sure how enforceable it really is.

Posted:
    TM M6 9 GD Tour AD GP 6x
    TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
    TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
    Ping I200, IBlade 4-P KBS TOUR V 125 power spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws, 60ss KBS TOUR V 125 - Heel grind, WRX grind
    Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
    Best Grips leather grips
    Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Jcbgt106Jcbgt106 Members  35WRX Points: 26Handicap: 1.5Posts: 35 Bunkers
    No way - I am not going out of bounds and into someone's property to retrieve the ball

I agree the property owner should be understanding when they purchase a home on a golf course but the few run-ins that i have had they were not. I have been verbally threatened when I entered a property to collect my ball. Maybe its a local culture situation- I am from the south and from my experience it has not gone well walking into their property to pick up my ball.

Also agree to never hit a ball out of their property.

Posted:
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers  5801WRX Points: 389Posts: 5,801 Titanium Tees

Its not really grey area, on almost all the courses I play it mentions more than once in the clubhouse/cart/scorecards or signage around homes that its private property and you aren't allowed to go on it and to respect their home, even if its a foot over the line. Also living on the course, isn't a free for all admittance of letting people do whatever they want or trounce through your yard 24/7 just because they have a heinous slice and paid 50$ to play.

I do think its understood its going to happen, and when you arent home or dont see it, what can you do or when its a arms reach across the stake its usually conceded. But Ive also played enough to have seen its usually very rare its just a foot over, as opposed to people marching all through the yard and or digging in bushes to find their top flight lol.

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper
    Toulon Atlanta
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members  262WRX Points: 98Handicap: 12Posts: 262 Greens

Unless people are trampling over flowers and garden beds, I don't think it would be a big deal. Doesn't happen often and as long as they are not hitting off a person's back deck, I don't think owners would mind. If you live on the Golf Course, you understand that is going to occur from time to time.

Posted:

Advertisement
    No way - I am not going out of bounds and into someone's property to retrieve the ball

The issue is when that person walks up to the ball and decides to hit it out of your beautiful Zoysia backyard its too late to say something. I think they assume anyone walking in the yard to look for the golf ball are going to eventually play it from that lie. Let's be real anyone who yells at someone looking for a ball on their property probably is not a golfer and is safe to assume they think they are going to play it out.

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29836WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,836 Titanium Tees

I know what you mean, but on the other hand, isn't that ball MY ball? Because it goes in his yard it doesn't then become his property. So realistically couldn't i go knock on his door and ask for my ball back? That would be a larger distraction to him if everyone did that i would imagine.

What i mean is as you suggest in the second paragraph, i think people can make adult decisions, if you can take 2 steps into a yard and grab your Pro V1....it's like, just relax we're all just trying to get through life here enjoying ourselves right? If you have to go wading through bushes in the guys backyard, than stay out of there.

There are a lot of houses on the golf course i am a member at, i've never heard of any incidents / arguments. People are mostly nice and use common sense. Like i mentioned i think there's an unwritten code , you get some free golf balls in your yard, and sometimes guys will take a few steps in and grab their ball.

***edit, as others have said. HITTING a ball from a guys backyard is a major no-no

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4945WRX Points: 717Posts: 4,945 Titanium Tees

Here in the Houston Area, every course I have played that has houses with no fences in the back yard has signage specifically stating that golfers are permitted to enter the yard to retrieve a ball, but driving the cart into the yard or hitting out of the yard are prohibited. It is logical to me. If there's a fence, all bets are off.

For me personally, If my ball is within about 6 feet of the house, I'll leave it. If it's in the middle of their yard, I'm walking in to get it. I wont ever get close enough to their house that it could ever be construed as any kind of threat.

Posted:
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members  575WRX Points: 82Posts: 575 Golden Tee

My response is yes within reason. I won't go too deep into their yard and if I need to come within 10 yards of their backdoor to get the ball I just leave it. Mostly just for my own safety as I don't want to startle someone and risk a physical/verbal confrontation over something as cheap as a golf ball. I definitely don't hop fences but if I can fish the ball out sticking my club through the fence I will do that.

I try to put myself in the homeowners shoes imagining that is my property and what my comfort level would be with someone approaching my yard.

Posted:
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers  5801WRX Points: 389Posts: 5,801 Titanium Tees

As far as the your ball in their yard, I have no idea. I think it all just boils down to what you mentioned, be an adult and read a situation and dont be a d*ck lol. Would imagine the vast majority understand the implied likelihood living on a course, and would generally be nice about it if you're being respectful.

To me the biggest thing about it is the other side in that more often than not, once some people pay a green fee they seem to just think it absolves them of any decency or respect. Paying to play, affords them to ignore clearly stated rules and allows them to be hitting out of yards, walking through yards, digging in bushes etc.

Posted:
    Toulon Atlanta

Advertisement
  • FadeFade Members  1380WRX Points: 269Posts: 1,380 Platinum Tees

Couple of feet only? Yes, I am retrieving.

Posted:

Well said, I wish that signage was posted on the golf courses in the Atlanta area.

Posted:

At that point, when the local rule allows for it then it kind of changes the situation and you are good to go. Thats really what it should come down to, just understand the rules, use reason and be respectful.

Posted:
    Toulon Atlanta
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2433WRX Points: 957Posts: 2,433 Platinum Tees

I played a little disc golf back in the day as well (but never inhaled 🏝️). You think slicing a $4 Pro V into widow Jenkins' azaleas is a sick feeling, try hucking a $25 Innova into someone's yard. I did that on a course local here. I played out the round then stopped at the person's house and asked him if I could retrieve it. He said sure and he told me how glad he was that I had asked and that most folks just go climbing his fence to get discs. He had a stack of them too. I was angling to see if he would give them to me but he knew they could be sold.

The unwritten courtesy in the disc golf world is you return the disc to its owner when found. Most folks write their name, phone number and their PDGA number if they have one on the underside of the disc. From that you can return it to people.

Posted:

Conversely - If there is signage that the homeowner puts up that says " private property. Do not enter" would you then cross the line only a few feet to get your ball?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members  262WRX Points: 98Handicap: 12Posts: 262 Greens

I personally have never seen anyone hit a ball from someone's backyard. I would hope that someone in the group is responsible enough to prevent that from happening.

Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1700WRX Points: 964Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,700 Platinum Tees

If my ball is easily visible and accessible without intruding to a high degree (such as in the middle of the lawn) I will go get the ball, if it's hidden in their yard but I know it's there I will leave it. Should the yard be fenced off I will never attempt to cross that property line Also if owners are home and in sight I always verbally ask their permission. Yet, I've found golfers relieving themselves in my yard while "looking for that darn ball".

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• Leftlove94Leftlove94 Members  29WRX Points: 17Posts: 29 Bunkers

It’s my ball, I’m getting it. If I drop my cell phone on someone’s driveway it doesn’t become their property. I think there’s a general understanding when you live on a course that you’ll have a couple balls in your yard a day and sometimes someone will grab it. Never hit from the yard.

In return, you never have to buy balls again for the guys that can’t spot their ball or don’t want to impose.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043 Members  5140WRX Points: 2,344Handicap: 6.3Posts: 5,140 Titanium Tees

I don't think there really is a "general understanding", I think it varies from course to course, and maybe varies from one homeowner to the next. I know the policy at my home club, but I don't assume its the same everywhere I play.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• Old Tom MorrisOld Tom Morris Members  371WRX Points: 331Handicap: 14Posts: 371 Greens

Grab the ball if it is in plain sight. Do not go searching for it among flower beds or on the patio, etc. Be respectful of the property, don't bring your cart or clubs on the property. Certainly don't play from private property.

Posted:

Driver: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV 75g Stiff or Titleist Pro Trajectory 980F 17* Aldila NV 75g Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 19* Aldila Voodoo hybrid Stiff or Titleist 909H 21* Aldila Voodoo hybrid Stiff or Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron TTDG AMT S300

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-AW TTDG AMT S300

Wedges: 54/10 and 58/10 TTDG S200

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 with Super Stroke

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist Pro V1

Advertisement

With the current pole at 14 to 1 in favor of appropriately entering the property to retrieve the ball I will stop being the mean old **** and change my ways and feelings about golfers entering my property to collect there ball. As a property owner on a golf course for many years I have seen it all and most people are very respectful when they enter and leave without any incident, if everyone could act the way you all are saying you do, then there would be zero issue. Once in awhile you get a player who enters and shows zero respect and unfortunately it ruins it for everyone.

Going forward I will be more understanding

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2433WRX Points: 957Posts: 2,433 Platinum Tees

There is a local course here that has a sign on one of the holes that says something to the effect of, "Don't Play Shots Over the Homes."

I always think to myself, "Don't build homes in the dog leg." Those trees are short too. Some kind of ornamental type tree, Cleveland Pears or something like that.

(Disregard "Augusta Ave." It ain't even close in any way, shape or form.)

Posted:
  • Old Tom MorrisOld Tom Morris Members  371WRX Points: 331Handicap: 14Posts: 371 Greens

Glad to see your open mindedness.

I don't like the sound of airplanes so I don't live next to the airport. If one doesn't want their property peppered with golf balls or people entering his yard to retrieve errant shots, he shouldn't live next to a golf course.

Posted:

Driver: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV 75g Stiff or Titleist Pro Trajectory 980F 17* Aldila NV 75g Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 19* Aldila Voodoo hybrid Stiff or Titleist 909H 21* Aldila Voodoo hybrid Stiff or Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron TTDG AMT S300

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-AW TTDG AMT S300

Wedges: 54/10 and 58/10 TTDG S200

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 with Super Stroke

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist Pro V1

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5016WRX Points: 842Posts: 5,016 Titanium Tees

Unless there is a fence or a sign, and it's close to the OB line, I'll go get my ball. And if there are no OB stakes or prohibitions on the scorecard, it's playable.

Posted:
  • cadoipicadoipi Members  99WRX Points: 73Posts: 99 Fairways

Yeah, I think your only option is to put up a tall fence if you want to people to stay out.

Or camp out there with a shotgun :)

Posted:

Advertisement

Agreed.

Though OP, if someone comes onto your property and tears up your grass or rummages through your garden....i think most will support you telling those guys to have some respect

Lastly OP, you probably do get a good amount of "free" Pro V1's due to living next to a course too right? So that is a nice bonus?

Posted:
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1260WRX Points: 410Posts: 1,260 Platinum Tees

If it’s a few feet off the course yes. Up close to the house I might let it go.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • AugsterAugster Members  4733WRX Points: 611Posts: 4,733 Titanium Tees

To retrieve the ball? Yes. To play the ball? Almost never.

Had a strange situation yesterday. Houses on nearly every hole. OB stakes define OB. Get to 17 and fly the green into a line of fir trees. Fight my way through the fir trees, and I’m in someone’s yard and there’s my ball. The course didn’t put up stakes or define the tree line as OB. So I played it to the green by putting it under the trees.

First time I’ve played a ball from someone’s yard. It’s the only time I can remember seeing someone’s yard and not having OB stakes along the property line.

But I’ll always retrieve it if I see it. They didn’t accidentally purchase property on a golf course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NewbyNewby Members  7828WRX Points: 656Posts: 7,828 Titanium Tees

"They didn’t accidentally purchase property on a golf course."

What if the properties were there first? Certainly a situation that arises over here.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.