GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Thinking of trying a hybrid and could use input

golfinbrad ·  
golfinbradgolfinbrad Members  470WRX Points: 75Posts: 470 Greens

My current setup is 4 iron (KBS Tour S+) - 2 driving iron (VS Proto Blue 100x) - 3 wood (HZRDUS Smoke 6.5). I hit my irons well and the 3 wood is a keeper. I do hit my DI slightly further than my 4 iron, but significant difference in accuracy. The dispersion almost negates the extra couple of yards. I love the feel and looks if the DI, but right now have little confidence. I have been using it 6 seasons, so the honeymoon phase is long gone. I don't want to go back to a 3 iron and think 5 wood would be less versatile, so left to the hybrids. I pretty much have it narrowed to 2 (Tour Exotics CBX119 or Bridgestone Tour B XD). Here are my questions:

1. Anyone see a significant pro or con with either hybrids?
  2. Should I stick with HZRDUS in those or try something a little higher launch for hitting into greens like Even Flow Blue or KBS Proto Hybrid?
  3. You think maybe another shaft in my DI? Maybe something in the 80-90 gram range?

I hit my 4 iron 210 and my 3 wood 255, so would like to get something in the 220-225 for both off the tee and into greens. Again any thoughts or input would be great. I haven't touched a hybrid in almost 15 years and can tell the are much better now.

Posted:

Comments

• scooterhd2scooterhd2 Members  1030WRX Points: 373Handicap: 7Posts: 1,030 Platinum Tees

If you are having dispersion issues with the DI, than I would consider a hybrid. Usually, people that dislike hybrids have dispersion issues, especially to the left and the DI is a more reliable straight line club, although way more punishing distance wise on mishits. But a 15 yard short but straight mishit is better than a snap hook mishit. But if you are hitting the DI all over the place, you have nothing to lose. And will likely gain more distance, more reliable distance, a higher flight, a bit more spin to hold greens.

The shaft is personal. How do you use your DI now and how do you plan on using the hybrid? If it is mostly a tee club, or used to advance the ball on long par 5s, than a lower launching shaft is fine. If you are trying to hold greens into par 5s, than you may want that extra launch and spin.

Posted:

Ping G410+ 9*, Tensei Pro Orange

Adams XTD Ti 17*, Fubuki

Apex 20*, AD DI 85

Srixon U85 23*, AD DI 95

Srixon 585 5-6, Nippon 120

Srixon 785 7-PW, Nippon 120

Ping Glide 3.0 52*, Nippon 120

TM Hi Toe 56*&60*, Nippon 120

Evnroll ER3

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golfinbradgolfinbrad Members  470WRX Points: 75Posts: 470 Greens

Totally get what your are saying and think it's worth a shot. I use DI off tee and into greens. The one course I play has several par 3s over 200. Depending on weather will is it there. Not just looking for a straight tee club. Kind of why I was thing EF Blue and KBS Proto. I get along with HZRDUS and have hit the EF Blue. Figured I would get little less distance with softer landing. KBS is supposed to be mid mid and close to KBS Tours and have those in the irons.

Input much appreciated. Any input on Tour Exotics CBX or Bridgestone? Both supposed to anti or less left.

Posted:
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members  806WRX Points: 306Handicap: 11Posts: 806 Golden Tee

I don't have any input on the 2 you posted but I just started bagging a Sim 3 hybrid and it is excellent. Anti left for sure, and very long. Perhaps you look at that or the 4 hybrid? I was anti hybrid for a long time, always had a 2 iron, then I got this and it changed my mind. Ask DJ he loves his.

Posted:
    Taylormade m5 7.9 tour issue. AD GP 7x
    Callaway epic flash 3w tensei pro white 7x
    Taylormade Sim hybrid 3. Tensei pro white 90tx 
    Mizuno mp18 mmc 4-pw modus 120s
    Artisan 48° 53.5° 59° modus 120s
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • scooterhd2scooterhd2 Members  1030WRX Points: 373Handicap: 7Posts: 1,030 Platinum Tees

Not familiar at all with Bridgestone hybrids. I'll let others chime in there, but tour edge, in the pro models especiialy, have a a long standing run of hybrids that sit a little more open the most and are on the more compact side that suit better players quite well. Stock shaft is EFB as well on the CBX119. Callaway Apex is another favorite that alot of people besides me will vouch for.

Posted:

Ping G410+ 9*, Tensei Pro Orange

Adams XTD Ti 17*, Fubuki

Apex 20*, AD DI 85

Srixon U85 23*, AD DI 95

Srixon 585 5-6, Nippon 120

Srixon 785 7-PW, Nippon 120

Ping Glide 3.0 52*, Nippon 120

TM Hi Toe 56*&60*, Nippon 120

Evnroll ER3

You raise a good point. My 4 iron is 23*. I'm looking for about at least 10 yards or closer to 15 yards more than my 4i. I get there is some guess work here, but do you think a 21*? I was thinking 18*-19*, but thinking that might create too big a gap.

Tour Edge has a great reputation and can be had pretty cheap for some reason. Figured that would be a good option. I will take a look at the Callaway. Haven't owned a Callaway club since the Big Bertha strong 3 wood. Wish I still had that one!!!!

Posted:
  • Tar_Heel_93Tar_Heel_93 Members  137WRX Points: 59Posts: 137 Fairways

Titleist 818 H1 and H2 are good options and can be found used for $60 to $100. I prefer the H1 which is more forgiving. Both can be anti left with the correct shaft and have a lot of adjustability. I would recommend 21 degrees which I believe goes up to 23 and down to 20 degrees.

Posted:

Titleist 917 D3 9.5(set to 10.25); Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X-stiff Shaft

Titleist 917 F3 15; Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 X-stiff Stiff shaft

Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid Tensei Pro white stiff shaft

Callaway Apex MB 3-AW irons; Project X 6.0 shafts

Callaway MD Forged 54 wedge

Never Compromise Gambler Royal 33” putter GP red star grip

Advertisement

So a 21* hybrid will go roughly 10-15 yards longer than 21* 4 iron? I can see how but what to be sure. Originally was thinking 17*-18* but thinking that will be way more than I'm looking for.

Titleist hybrids seem to be popular.

Posted:
  • short and straightshort and straight Members  211WRX Points: 49Posts: 211 Fairways

21 degree hybrid might go longer than the same loft four iron, because of longer shaft length and higher ball flight, but not necessarily 15 yards (but maybe...). My experience has usually been to have my hybrid be about 2 degrees stronger than my longest iron for good gaping. Then moving to your fairway woods, I've found that an equivalent lofted fairway wood will go 10-15 yards farther than that same lofted hybrid.

Posted:
    Taylormade M6 Driver (9*, Paderson Kinetixx Velocity)
    Taylormade M4 4 wood (16.5*, Paderson Kinetixx Velocity)
    Callaway Rogue Heavenwood (20*, Aldila Quaranta)
    Callaway Apex UT 4 iron, Apex CF19 5-P (KBS Tour 90, bent to traditional lofts)
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 raw finish (KBS Tour 90 50=s grind, 54+58= x grind)
    Odyssey Triple Track Seven Stroke Lab slant neck

So you are saying 18* - 19* would be closer? If it is at tab longer I could always cut it down 1/2".

Posted:
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2404WRX Points: 591Posts: 2,404 Platinum Tees

According to Tour Edge reps, the CBX hybrid lines are designed to be "left-proof." The heads have square faces with minimal offset. The CBX119 stock shafts include Hzrdus Black and EvenFlow.

Maybe an 18* or a 19* would work. If you went with a slightly higher launching shaft, as suggested it would hold greens better... plus, it might give you better distance out of the rough (this assumes you sometimes land in the rough...)

Do you use the 3W off tee on tight holes, or would you likely use the hybrid?

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • MinimalistGCMinimalistGC Members  57WRX Points: 85Posts: 57 Bunkers

I enjoy hitting my u510. It’s a utility iron but I consider it more of a hybrid. Looks like a chunky ugly iron but flies high and straight with a tad of workability. I got it with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft to get my launch I wanted.

Posted:
    913 D2
    u510 4i
    716 AP2 6i,8i,PW
    SM4 56*
    09 SC California Monterey
    ProV1, Snell MTB, or Kirklands
    All in a Jones Original 

Golf Instagram:

Advertisement
  • DaveMc82DaveMc82 Members  92WRX Points: 65Handicap: 8Posts: 92 Fairways

I’ve no experience with the 2 the OP mentioned.

I’m an H2 user in 21 degree with after my 24 degree 4 iron. I play it 1” short with a UST Irod 105F5.

A point that hasn’t been mentioned is the weight cartridge. I replaced mine with a heavier DIY cartridge (ally tube, stuffing and tungsten powder. Put the swing weight back up to where I wanted it after shortening the shaft.

Key to me is heavier and stiffer shaft with a more iron type head. Takes the left side out unless you REALLY try!

There are plenty of these out there in amazing condition and you’ll have no trouble selling it should you not get on with it.

Posted:

On tight holes I would probably prefer the hybrid if the yardage works out. Right now there is a 40+ gap between 3w and 4i. I might use my DI,but it is a roll of the dice. Don't like that feeling. I also play a course with several par 3s over 200. Depending on conditions the hybrids would be used there as well.

Tour Edge seems to check the boxes, but the weight port is a good point. Based on that Titleist, Cobra and Callaway seem to have the that and can be had fairly reasonable. That could help dial in the feel and distance as well. What's the difference between the H1 and H2? H1 more workable?

I'll take a look at u510 and see what it looks like. Not familiar with that one

Posted:

Thanks for suggestion but u510 is very close to the DI I have now. Looking a little more hybrid than iron. If I go that route I would probably try a different shaft in mine.

Posted:
  • Tar_Heel_93Tar_Heel_93 Members  137WRX Points: 59Posts: 137 Fairways

H1 is larger more like a small wood and H2 is smaller more like a larger iron. I have played both and found the H1 to be more forgiving and better at removing my miss left. For me I just want my hybrid to go straight. If I need to work the ball I will hit my 3 iron or 4 iron.

Posted:

Titleist 917 D3 9.5(set to 10.25); Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X-stiff Shaft

Titleist 917 F3 15; Aldila Tour Green ATX 85 X-stiff Stiff shaft

Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid Tensei Pro white stiff shaft

Callaway Apex MB 3-AW irons; Project X 6.0 shafts

Callaway MD Forged 54 wedge

Never Compromise Gambler Royal 33” putter GP red star grip

Awesome info!!!! Appreciate the pics. Based on what you said and the pic, the H1 is probably more what I'm looking for. The H2 looks close to DI so not sure that will be much of a change.

One more question. I agree with what you are saying about working the ball with irons. I see the H1 is a 21*. Can you ball park how much further you the hybrids than you 4 iron? Thinking a 21* might be a better gap than 18*.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NudgaNudga Members  467WRX Points: 75Posts: 467 Greens

Adjustable hybrids are the way to go. I have a 816 H1 23* and I've just acquired an F7 Cobra, (16/19*) which use the same key😉

Posted:
    Cobra Fly Z+ Driver  [email protected] 11*
    Cobra BioCell Fairway  [email protected] 13.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics Ex9 5wood 18*
    Titleist 909h
    On -, @19*

Titleist 816 H1
    On -, @23*

Bridgestone J15DF 5 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 6-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52* & 56*
    Cleveland Huntington Beach # 4

I would agree. I was never a Titleist fan, but the 818 that Tar Heel 93 mentioned above has peaked my interest. I do like the idea of the adjustable weight.

I have the Cobra F8+ driver and old F6 3 wood. Love the 3 wood. I would probably consider the F8 or F9 as well, but hard to find the exact one I'm looking for. I haven't gotten a lot of good feedback on this. Now I just need to make a decision and pull the trigger.

Posted:
  • chipachipa Florida/Caribbean Members  303WRX Points: 77Handicap: Dec. '20Posts: 303 Greens

I think the choice about which hybrid to use is mostly how it sets up. I fight a hook so I like the face to be open to square plus I don't like the top faceline to be to the right of the hosel line. The one I use actually looks like a PT-15. As far as height goes my 2i hybrid has the same shaft as my irons yet hits the ball higher than my 5 iron.

Posted:

12 deg. Bang - 16 deg. Hybrid Heater - Acer XV Tour irons - LW Bang - Bang mallet

• Hougz79Hougz79 Members  478WRX Points: 144Posts: 478 Greens

I can't speak about the Bridgestone or the TEE, but I can about some hybrid shaft experiences and also 818H1 vs 818H2.

First, I will say that for me personally, the 818H1 is my favorite hybrid ever. This is the first hybrid my eye wandered, but came back into my bag. I have gamed Adams Idea Pro Gold for quite a few years (with VS Proto shaft, I see you use that as well in your DI) and it was the gold standard in hybrids for me. Honestly, I probably should have kept them and still game them. From there I tried Titleist 816H2 (didn't love); Callaway Apex (original) and thought were pretty ok; Taylor Made M1 (2017) and really enjoyed it. So of course I tinkered more and purchased Titlesist 818H2 and never really got along with them. Tried 818H1 due to getting a good deal and fell in love. Gamed for a year and a half. Got a good deal on a Callaway Apex '19 and gamed it for a dozen+ rounds this summer. Did not like it. 818H1 back in the bag, lesson learned. I play a 21* turned down to a 20.75* For me it gaps well between 3w and 4i. At the price you can get them right now, try it out.

As for shafts. If you like the HZRDUS line, I would recommend for hybrids, if a low bullet is your desire. I personally would stay away from EvenFlow Blue, I find it a bit soft and inconsistent. I have had good results with Fuji Speeder Motore (very similar to Atmos), and the Tensei series. I currently have a AD-IZ Hybrid and it's the best of all worlds. Low enough not to balloon, high enough to hold greens. The smooth feel profile makes less than full hybrid shots feel natural. The Speeder Motore for me was more of a stable / full swing shaft, it didn't respond to touch shots as well.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

Posted:
    Callaway MAVRIK Sub Zero 9*, GD AD-TP 7X
    Callaway MAVRIK 3w, GD AD-IZ 8X 
    Titleist 818H1 21*, GD AD-IZ 95S
    Ping i210 4-AW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 54SS, 58SS DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select
    Ping Hoofer (2018)

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1249WRX Points: 859Handicap: 12Posts: 1,249 Platinum Tees

I have a TEE XCG5 3 hybrid. Every doubt I had about Tour Edge was instantly put to rest with that club. I don't know about the CBX, but if it's anything like my XCG, it will blow you way with pure power. You swing, you feel buttery nothing, the ball goes. That's my TEE experience.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

Advertisement

Good summary on the 818. Seems to back up what I've read on it. Says a lot if you dropped and put it back in. At least you didn't sell it first!!!!

Tour Edge has a great reputation. Interesting why they haven't went adjustable. If nothing else a weight port for a little fine tuning. My only hesitation is if I don't like the shaft and glue another. Not a big deal, but I have gotten spoiled with the screw.

I see a decision and purchase happening by the weekend.

Posted:
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers  514WRX Points: 318Handicap: 5-25Posts: 514 Golden Tee

My suggestion was as well going to be for a Titleist 816/818 H1/H2 as they can be found at great pricing with decent stock shafts and adjustable.

Posted:

Ping Traverse or Hoofer:
    Driver - Ping G400 9* w/ KK '13 Proto
    Woods - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Diamana Kai'Li 80X
    Hybrids - Titleist 818H1 21* w/ Fuji HB 8.8 8S
    Irons - Ping iBlades 4-W w/ DG TI S400
    Wedges - Ping Glide 50* ES, Edel 54/58 w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

I want to thank everyone for their information and opinions. The Titleist 818 has gotten a lot of praise. I never even gave Titleist hybrids a thought when I started my search. After seeing the picks, liking the looks, adjustability, positive words and price, I did make the buy. Hopefully it will arrive early next week to give it a try. I found a 19* with a solid shaft. Loft is a little lower, but I can increase it 2*. If I like the clue and not he shaft I can also get a HRZDUS. If the hybrid doesn't work, I will go back to the DI and start messing with other shafts. Thanks again.

Posted:
  • Hougz79Hougz79 Members  478WRX Points: 144Posts: 478 Greens

Excellent! I used to game the 19* and 21* 818 H1. The 19* was the first to kick the 818H2 out of the bag. Just so easy to hit. Eventually replaced both with 818H1. Currently only game the 21 turned down due to changing wedges at the bottom of the bag. The 19* 818 H1 is still plenty versatile. You will be fine off the tee and fairway with it.

Posted:
    Callaway MAVRIK Sub Zero 9*, GD AD-TP 7X
    Callaway MAVRIK 3w, GD AD-IZ 8X 
    Titleist 818H1 21*, GD AD-IZ 95S
    Ping i210 4-AW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 54SS, 58SS DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select
    Ping Hoofer (2018)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.