GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

Another driving iron question

rwhitlock ·  
rwhitlockrwhitlock Members  46WRX Points: 45Handicap: 5Posts: 46 Bunkers

Has anyone played both the Taylormade UDI and the Titleist U500? If so, is one any more forgiving than the other?

I'd like to pick one up, with a steel shaft and keep the length around 39". I just feel that would be easier for me to control and take away the urge to try to bomb it all the time. The intent is to simply get the ball in play off the tee on tighter holes, and hitting 2nd shots into par 5's.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Posted:

Comments

• gopherlovergopherlover Members  83WRX Points: 39Handicap: 10Posts: 83 Fairways

I have played the p790 UDI 2 iron and the Titleist U500 3 iron. I would say I did not notice any difference between the 2 in terms of forgiveness. What loft are you considering? I would say personally much prefer the 3 iron loft to the 2 iron loft as a club to bridge the gap between a 4 iron and 3 wood.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3235WRX Points: 841Handicap: 6Posts: 3,235 Titanium Tees

ive hit both, but not on the course. Ended up in a sub70 699u. Significantly cheaper and does everything I need it to do.

i went with a graphite build, but they have a steel option... easily built to whatever specs you want.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

• tilasan1tilasan1 Members  48WRX Points: 29Posts: 48 Bunkers

Just an FYI, I know you said steel shaft but for the U500 there are a lot of no upcharge options you can order it with. Just look at the custom shaft options with no upcharge for the hybrid/utilitys. Some heavier no upcharge options: atmos tour spec black 9, tensei pro white 100, and evenflow white 100.

Posted:
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members  1492WRX Points: 207Handicap: 4Posts: 1,492 Platinum Tees

I also agree (depending on club head speed) that a 3-iron loft may be more beneficial. I took a 3-UDI and bent it 1* strong so it sat at 19* and put a PX Hzrdus Black in it. I started with a steelfiber 110 but liked the little bit lighter shaft to fit the gap I wanted.

I tried several 17/18* driving irons and for whatever reason had a harder time with launch and direction. Probably mental since I don’t see a major difference in loft.

I did try a few swings with the U500 and thought it was slightly more forgiving than the UDI. At the end of the day, if you want a forgiving long iron I think an SGI approach to the 2/3 iron slot may be best. These DI clubs still need to be hit well to compress the ball and get the yardage/flight desired.

I think there is a false illusion that just because it is a slightly bigger club that it suddenly becomes extremely easy to hit. My normal 3UDI shot is about 215 carry off the deck and 225-230 off the tee, but if I mishit it, that easily drops 5-10% off the yardage.

Posted:
  • rwhitlockrwhitlock Members  46WRX Points: 45Handicap: 5Posts: 46 Bunkers

Thanks for the comments! Sounds like they’re both good clubs, just comes down to personal preference.

I hadn’t realized the no-charge shaft options for the U500. I’ve been a fan of the Tensei shafts, might have to look into them today.

Thanks again,

Rod

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.