GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

DISCUSSION THREAD: Members Choice: Best Hybrid of 2020

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRXMarshals  9122WRX Points: 690Posts: 9,122 Marshals

What is the best hybrid of 2020? Is the best hybrid or rescue the longest, most forgiving, best sounding, best looking, or a combination that you believe is most important? At GolfWRX, we take great pride in our online community and the cumulative knowledge and experience of our members. Needless to say, that extends to their GolfWRXers views on the best hybrid of 2020.

See our front page feature here.

Posted:
Post edited by BAlberstadt on

Comments

• HDTVMANHDTVMAN HDTVMAN Members  55WRX Points: 49Handicap: 12Posts: 55 Bunkers

My bag includes the Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids. As a senior playing to a 12 hdcp, these clubs give me a high trajectory, distance, and soft landings.

Posted:

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Diamona S+ Ltd 70
    Ping G410 5-Wood w/Tensi Orange
    Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrid w/Tensi Blue
    Ping i500 5-AW w/Recoil SmacWrap
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 w/Recoil 54° & 58°
    Bettinardi BB56 / Queen Bee 6
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dmaeldmael ClubWRX  204WRX Points: 102Handicap: 8Posts: 204 ClubWRX

I love the SIM Max hybrid, and have had a 19* SIM Max HB with the S-flex made-for Ventus shaft in my bag on-and-off for 6 months. However, as soon as I hit the Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 19* hybrid, the SIM Max was moved to my backup bag of clubs .... Yes, the EXS 220 HB is actually that good!

Posted:
  • scratch67scratch67 Members  183WRX Points: 99Handicap: 4Posts: 183 Fairways

I’ve used Titleist woods for decades. I upgraded all woods to the TS models. I have two of the hybrids, 1 & 3. The 1H is used instead of my TS 4 wood. For some reason the 1H is just as long but much more consistent.

Posted:

Titleist TS2’s, driver, 1H and 3H, Aldila shafts

Mizuno MP-64 irons, KBS shafts

Vokey SM7 wedges, 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Special Select Newport 2, KBS CT TOUR shaft

• PittSharkPittShark Littering and...... ClubWRX  743WRX Points: 150Posts: 743 ClubWRX

When I saw the results, I couldn't help but chuckle. I bought the SIM Max 3 hybrid earlier this year when TGW had the glitch that allowed you to get the upcharge shafts at no charge. Played it for the early part of the year but determined that the unusually upright lie angle was just too much for me (I'm only 5'7"). What did I move on to? The G410 of course. Same shaft (AD DI) but man what a difference it made to have it play so much flatter than the SIM could. Very happy I made the switch.

So yeah....played two different hybrids this year and those two hybrids are firmly 1st and 2nd on the poll......I must have good taste, haha.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM Max 10.5*, Tour AD-DI 6s
    Taylormade M5 Tour issue 3w, 16.9*, Tour AD-DI 6s
    Ping G410 3H 19*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
    Sub70 639 CB 4-7 639 MB 8-PW, KBS $-Taper Lite 100s
    Scratch Forged 50*, SS Grind
    Scratch Tour Dept 54*, FAW Grind
    Scratch Tour Dept 58*, RPD Grind
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select NP 2.5 (1st of 500), Phantom X 5.5
  • karstens_ghostkarstens_ghost Members  30WRX Points: 37Handicap: BlondesPosts: 30 Bunkers

The thought that being able to flatten the head, and avoid the hard left… somehow that was left out of the description? One reference, and unexplained?

The 410 hybrid is the bee's knees because you don't have to fear it.

Posted:

G410 LST9, LST14.5, Hybrid 19; i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide F 50/54/58; Fetch w/ Breakthrough.

• StraightOuttaConklinStraightOuttaConklin Members  5WRX Points: 12Handicap: 9.2Posts: 5 Bunkers

I love the TS2. I play TS2 4H. It's the first hybrid I've ever played and I see what all the hype is about.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dylanldylanl Members  15WRX Points: 32Handicap: 15Posts: 15 Bunkers

The Mavrik was the best hybrid for me this year. I hit almost all of them. It came down to the Mavrik, TS2, and G410. I was more accurate and a little longer with the Mavrik so it made it's way into the bag. It's been great on the course so far. The Sim Max was really bad for me for some reason. I'm sure it's me. It's the one I wanted going in but I just couldn't hit that one nearly as well as the rest.

Posted:
  • EaglemanEagleman Members  188WRX Points: 78Posts: 188 Fairways

The SIM max is awesome for me. I have it paired with a VA shafts Slay and it is the best feeling hybrid I have used. Sounds the best in my opinion as well, very muted. Before the SIM I played the epic flash hybrid, Titleist, apex 18, and a few others and this is by far the best for me. When I went to a fitting I did try the g410 hybrid but it wasn’t for me, but that was on a simulator. I’d like to try it out on some actual grass before writing it off completely.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 8° w/ UST proforce v2 X
    taylormade SIM max 14° w/VA shafts Vylyn X
    Taylormade SIM max Hybrid 19° W/ VA shafts Slay
    Mizuno HMB 2 iron w/ KBS tour prototype X
    Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ KBS tour 130X
    Callaway MD4 50°, PM grind 54° and 58°
    Bettinardi Hexperimental soft carbon QB10
    Taylormade TP5X 
  • PhabsPhabs Members  150WRX Points: 55Handicap: 2Posts: 150 Fairways

Sim max for sure

Posted:

Taylormade M3 9* with Tensei Blue 60g

Taylormade M3 16*HL with Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 70g

Mizuno MP-5's 3-PW with C-taper 125's / Cobra CB/MB 3-PW C-Taper 125's

Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 Raw finish

Cameron Studio Design 2 w Stability Shaft / Cameron Monterey Custom w Stability Shaft

• JoelsimJoelsim Members  1529WRX Points: 565Handicap: 12Posts: 1,529 Platinum Tees

TS2 for sure. I also had a G410 #3 late last year but couldn’t get along with it. I had a 23* 818 h1 which I really liked so upgraded to a 21* TS2 which I love, so much so that I’ve just bought a 19* TS3 to use off the tee. Only three shots with it so far but it works. Have just set it to 18* for tomorrow’s round. Hugely better that the Ping which looks really offset at address.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Hybrids: Titleist TS3 17* Stiff HZRDUS Smoke & TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M, Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • monks66monks66 Members  982WRX Points: 141Posts: 982 Golden Tee

which one of these hybrids are the most neutral or even open face?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1529WRX Points: 565Handicap: 12Posts: 1,529 Platinum Tees

You won’t have a problem with either of the two Titleist models on this basis. They don’t naturally hook and you’ve also got the adjustable hosel in both and the surefit weight in the TS3 too. I really like them and hit them far better than the G410 I had.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Hybrids: Titleist TS3 17* Stiff HZRDUS Smoke & TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M, Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • mikey6866mikey6866 Members  14WRX Points: 21Posts: 14 Bunkers

Ive tried just about every hybrid imaginable...the one that really stands out is the epic flash hybrid. Super long and straight have a nice shape and arent too big or too small. My hybrid search is finally over. The ping g410 was also very good but I only hit it in a simulator. Nothing else was really close to those 2.

Posted:
  • steel09steel09 Members  84WRX Points: 60Handicap: 5Posts: 84 Fairways

actually very surprised the ts2 beat out the TS3

Posted:
  • FustlerFustler Members  75WRX Points: 37Posts: 75 Fairways

My vote is on the PXG 0317 Gen2. Seemed to hit it better than everything else I tried. TS3 was a close second for myself.

Posted:
  • dock4dock4 Members  43WRX Points: 65Posts: 43 Bunkers

I bought the PXG hybrids this year and they are the easiest to hit and straightest clubs I have in my bag. I have only had three different hybrids since hybrids came out and I try new ones all the time so it takes a lot for me to kick out clubs that I hit well. For me, the PXG are longer which I expected since the technology was new than my Tour Edge CBX hybrids but I hit them literally twice as high which was important for a low ball hitter like me. Great clubs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • njlamnjlam Members  910WRX Points: 63Posts: 910 Golden Tee

I just bought the PXG Gen 2 with a Tensei Red shaft. Finally, something to replace my Sonartec MD

PXG is currently having a Corona sale....40% off until July 31st. I couldn't believe it!

Posted:
    Driver: Ping Rapture 12 w/MR Diamana BB R
    Woods: Ping G25 4w & 7w w/MR Diamana BB R
    Hybrid: PXG 25 w/MR Tensei Red R
    Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/DG S400
    Putter: Gamer GOAT
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • alphabits12alphabits12 Members  40WRX Points: 9Posts: 40 Bunkers

I have the Apex 19 3 hybrid. Great looking club, but I have difficulty hitting it as high as I would like

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30997WRX Points: 7,272Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,997 Titanium Tees

It’s g410. Sim max is a hook mochine. And I hit a fade as a stop shot. Omg hookasarus rex.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5622WRX Points: 523Handicap: 10Posts: 5,622 Titanium Tees

agree. Every time I test it at PGA SS I hook it non stop. My OG M2 just keeps performing. PXG is my best go to.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.