GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Little known on-course habits/tactics of pros that amateurs should practice?

2»

Comments

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9546WRX Points: 3,171Posts: 9,546 Titanium Tees

Lol get reported for what? FYI I dig unofficial “scratch” golfers

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • erikroerikro Massachusetts Members  708WRX Points: 166Posts: 708 Golden Tee

Are you just saying that or do you really love lamp?

Posted:
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  487WRX Points: 176Posts: 487 Greens
    Posted:

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
    TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
    mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
    mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
    mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3931WRX Points: 1,091Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,931 Titanium Tees

Buy a tool to fix pitch marks and learn to properly repair pitch marks. Take 10 seconds and repair your pitch mark. Take another 10 seconds are repair someone else's. Fix 3 or 4 if you can stand to.

Try to avoid watching other players. I developed this habit out of practicality and since I've become aware of it I've noticed other good players doing it on countless occasions. Pro's can be seen doing it all the time.

If someone is a really good player then you might catch a good vibe by watching them, but if you have some semblance of control over your own game do yourself a favor and be VERY CAREFUL about watching other players in general. You will subconsciously start to copy them and that'll move you off your spot. I make a point to avoid looking at most of my playing partners (good or bad). No offense to them but I don't want even the thought of their tempo, rhythm or mechanics entering my mind and messing with those of my own swing.

On the green, this is 10x as true. I've played in enough best-ball scrambles to know that you're better off seeing nothing as opposed to seeing a bad putt. You'll see a 15-handicap line up and start his putt 2-ft outside the hole and then hear them say, "I started it 6-in outside." Or they'll gun it through the break or leave it way short and then having watched that you'll do the opposite. So do yourself a favor and just avoid watching other players.

All that said, do try to be a good partner by keeping one eye on where peoples' shots end up though. At least track where the ball enters the rough, hazard, tree-line, etc. That's sort of your duty as a playing partner. But in general, avoid looking directly at them as they hit.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: AeroBurner (3-HL)
    Hybrid: T.E.E. E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select

some great tips here, thank you.

WRT #1: i learned to fix ball marks by watching other people. i don't recall if i simply didn't understand what they were doing or if they were doing it wrong, but i learned to be a prier and caused unintentional damage to greens as a result. oh well, lesson learned. the below video was an eye-opener for me and i think it's a good supplement to your #1 tip. thanks again, mello!

Posted:

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14078WRX Points: 2,888Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,078 Titanium Tees

Learn how to play fliers

learn how many extra clubs you need in certain wind conditions

know carry and run out yardages

learn how to not shortside yourself

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

Advertisement
  • oikos1oikos1 Members  2982WRX Points: 725Posts: 2,982 Titanium Tees

Yikes. If you can't hit a wedge inside of 100 yards, I'd say that's the first thing you need to start working on. Laying up every now and again because of trouble is one thing, laying up and giving up 50 or more yards because you can't hit a wedge is costing you strokes.

Posted:
  • GunGunGunGun Members  61WRX Points: 60Handicap: Whoknows?Posts: 61 Bunkers

Another pro tip that is often forgotten. Be nice and polite to all other golfers even on Internet forums, we share passion for the game regardless of skill and background. Honour that and have fun is the best tip many forget...

Posted:

great tip, thank you!

separate but related, this reminds me of an episode of chris como's swing expedition with xander schauffele. i'm paraphrasing here, but xander essentially said he tries to find straight edges to square up his club face before tee shots. apparently, this helps him maintain good alignment during his rounds.

Posted:

• OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers  1710WRX Points: 427Handicap: $$Posts: 1,710 Platinum Tees

I take it off once I'm inside about 25 yards or so. I like bare hands for all "feel" shots. Can't understand how anyone could putt with a glove on unless it's really cold and your just trying to get through the round. Taking it off between shots works great. It doesn't take many holes before it's a firm signal. Glove off, brain disconnects briefly giving you a mini-break from the mental game, glove back on-time to play.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers  1710WRX Points: 427Handicap: $$Posts: 1,710 Platinum Tees

I repair as many pitch marks as I can to avoid watching other putts and it gives me time to collect myself a bit if needed.

Posted:
  • anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  382WRX Points: 223Posts: 382 Greens

I actually used the tee/repair tool to check for roots in my round on Friday.

Posted:

when you use a coin to mark your ball on the green always leave it heads up. if you need to move it for someone always switch it to tails.

just saw tiger mention this here.

Posted:

• b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members  689WRX Points: 155Handicap: +2Posts: 689 Golden Tee

1.) Always use an alignment aid on the range. ALWAYS

2.) Stick to one shot shape whenever possible.

3.) Take a back swing that is at least left arm parallel on every bunker shot.

Posted:
    M5 (8.25, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Z-Cord Std, +1 Wrap)

M5 (13.75, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Z-Cord, +1 Wrap)

DHy Pro (18, DG105 X100, Z-Cord, +1 Wrap)

i200 (4i, PX 7.0, Z-Cord, +1 Wrap, Black Dot) 

S56 (5-PW, PX 7.0, Z-Cord, +1 Wrap, Black Dot)

Gorge Tour (51SS, 56SS, 60TS, X100, Z-Cord, +1 Wrap, Black Dot)

White Hot Rossie (34.5 inches, Garsen Ultimate) 

Pro V1X
  • DallasDanDallasDan Members  34WRX Points: 16Handicap: 8Posts: 34 Bunkers

when grounding your club in the rough not only do you want to make sure to pat down the grass but pat it down so that the grass is going with your swing and not against it. Easier to get through the ball...just beware of the flier.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • gentlesgentles Members  2132WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,132 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • ousuxndallasousuxndallas DFWMembers  162WRX Points: 65Handicap: 4Posts: 162 Fairways
    Posted:
  • anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  382WRX Points: 223Posts: 382 Greens

Also make sure you use 3 or 4 (or more) clubs to really get that grass to lay down. After all, you won't know what club to hit until you've tested them all behind the ball before realizing that you now have a clean look at the back of the ball.

Posted:

leaving dirt in the grooves apparently provides a distance boost for irons/wedges by reducing spin. this could be a good strategy for dealing with 'tweeners.

Posted:

• 8thehardway8thehardway Members  1912WRX Points: 75Handicap: 8Posts: 1,912 Platinum Tees

Two quick tips if you want to check that your shoulders are square to your intended path - at address either switch to a left-hand-low grip or bend forward & down as if you were using a 30-inch putter... any misalignment will become fairly obvious

Great tip from Jack Nicklaus on putting distance control, especially for mid- and long putts - 'I always putt the ball one-third of the distance to the hole and let it roll the rest of the way.' I take that to mean that 1/3rd of the way to the hole he has imparted enough energy for the ball to complete it's the journey; even given the unknown (to me) weight of his putter, stroke speed and stimp of the his greens I only recalibrate his 33% on very slow greens or fast, downhill putts.

Posted:
    Honma Beres 10.5*
    Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
    Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
    Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
    Tom Slighter Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (since 2006)
    Backup
    Gauge Design, Japan Forged L semi-mallet

Advertisement
  • andrueandrue Members  1565WRX Points: 297Handicap: 20Posts: 1,565 Platinum Tees

Same here. It encourages me to stop thinking about my game between shots and also reminds me to switch to 'feel mode' for chipping and putting.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.