how does bryson get such clubhead speed? and more thoughts/questions

there's always been a thought that standing far from the ball and clubhead speed weren't compatable. hard to get lag.. (older) mo norman didn't hit the ball very far.

does bryson get more lag? did he change that?

i would say swinging as hard you can at the ball with lesser wrist lag would have been considered self-defeating by most before bryson came along...... i wonder if standing far from the ball makes it such that you don't get "stuck" when you swing really hard. that's invariably what happens when i swing too hard.......

FYI, bryson plays 7.5 degree driver, adjusted to 5.5. degree playing loft

i can definitely see cam champ getting amazing clubhead speed. so smooth and fast.... cam is pretty high loft. i forgot what it was..... DJ is very high loft for pga player.

how has bryson's accuracy been affected?,....... i saw yesterday the suggestion that hits it through fairways now. but i wouldn't call that "inaccurate". more like he needs to hit less club as the hole doesn't accomodate his length.

any feedback appreciated :)........... btw, i think BDC swing is perfect for lesser players. doesn't seem very timing oriented.

Lag isn’t a direct correlation to club speed

Ever watch the world long drive. Many of us stand farther away. Not good through the bag and causes other issues.

He got stronger, but mostly he just started swinging Harder and faster instead of contriving the one plane action. Helped him use the ground better.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

What Monte said. When DdC was first on the radar, he had a 3/4 swing with the driver, it is now at parallel. He got stronger, had to have done a lot of pure speed work. I have never seen a top player go at it as hard as he does. Whether he can maintain that speed without injury or completely losing accuracy is the key going forward. Entertaining, though.

He worked a lot on exercises to get faster. People only see his weight gain, but to get faster he mentioned doing speed exercises. However, I doubt he will reveal too many of those. His swing looks different, a little less single plane to my eye, but more herky jerky at the finish with that weird high right shoulder tug. I'm glad he's moving away from the 1 plane stuff. I hope he eventually stops it with the single length wedges too. His wedges are 2.5 inches longer than normal. They're already weird looking to help with inconsistencies but I don't get why he's working against the norm just to make things the same (or most will say it's worse since his wedge game is pretty sub par). His 50-150 yard proximity numbers place him in the hundreds rankings. If he figured out his wedges he just (gasp) be unstoppable.

Also funny is that his driving the green attempts are part of his approach proximity numbers LOL.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I think the swing changes are miles more impressive than the weight gain. His entire swing tempo has picked up significantly, he's longer and more crossed than the single plane, different loading at the top, and changed his footwork. All in 6 months. Some pros would struggle 6 months from 1 of those changes.
I'm really curious on a swing change deep dive, I agree with @Golfjack his finish is different with a really high right shoulder. Seems like there's way more rotational force than vertical force. For the life of me I still can't figure out how someone with that weak of a left hand grip can hit it on the planet. Either way, it's super impressive.

Guy wasn't short before this phase, he has worked with Como on better use of ground pressures.

This is what you can achieve if you have the time, team of experts and talent.

Key will be how much the team can reverse all this when he starts hitting issues with keeping up his fitness level due to age/injury/strain.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

i dont think Bryson cares about "lag." there is nothing in his swing that seems manipulative to getting lag. he doesnt unnecessarily create angles with hinge and doesnt try to hold those. He is just fast. Quick tempo. floats a bit at the top, and dumps everything down and turns hard and fast into and through the ball. He's so much behind it that he spins out of it like a baseball player. Pure power.

The fact that he can control it is unreal. On the right courses it is an incredible advantage. It was one thing to out drive someone by 20 yards, because at the end of the day it comes to ball striking and control and if someone can hit a 5 iron closer than you can hit a 7 iron, then that drive really didnt matter much. Was more of an uncessary risk. But if you are hitting fairways at 365 and getting 9 irons into par 5 greens, that advantage is unreal. His partial wedge game wasnt even very good over the weekend, but at 60 yards out you arent looking at bail out areas, forced carry, etc. Basic green light to be aggressive, when others are aiming at the fat part of the green. Thats got to lead to some weeks were he is near the top in hole proximity. And at that point, I don't know how you combat that unless the putter is blazing hot.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

The commitment to swing drastically up at it with a very low lofted driver is a huge part of this.

You can get in the 300 carry range with sub 110 mph swing speed if you commit to swinging up with very low spin. Controlling it when you swing 5 degrees up at it like he does is incredibly impressive, especially the ability to draw the ball with those numbers.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Really curious of your thoughts on his new move @MonteScheinblum it seems like massive changes in a really short time. I thought they described it really well on the No Laying Up podcast how many average guys have chased distance, but this is a first for someone that is ultra talented (joining Tiger, Jack, Phil and Ryan Moore winning the Am and NCAA in the same year) giving it a try.

We could have a huge debate on all the micro changes.....

IMO all he did on a macro level was to stop contriving the one plane action and just started swinging as fast and freely as he could...which I’m a huge believer is the best way to increase club head speed.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I did not post 2 + 2 = 5

The more up you swing generally speaking the more in to out you tend to be from a path perspective if you are trying to draw it. The more up you try to swing with a draw shot shape the more inside out you have to be because the club has to go inside out for a longer period of time.

I'm not privy to his path numbers but I would venture a guess that if he is swinging 4+ degrees up, hitting a draw, his path is probably at least 4 or 5 degrees inside out. That is a large variance between that and zero which means you got a huge possibility for curve.

The farther the path is from 0 the more it curves generally speaking. The more you swing up and hit a draw the more inside out you have to be. Multiply that by swinging it 130 and playing crunch time tournament golf and its impressive. IMO.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

The only people worrying about lag are the ones lagging behind him.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

The more you hit up on the ball all things being equal, the spin loft reduces. According to Frederick Tuxen, the more spin loft reduces the ball's axis tilt will tilt more. Chris Como and I asked him this question...-5 degrees down vs +5 degrees up...all other things being equal except for spin rates...which will travel more offline? The basic premise of the question was would the increase in spin rate but the smaller tilt of the axis cause the ball to fly more offline or would the greater tilt of the axis with the lower spin rate cause the ball to fly more offline.

Tuxen's research came up with the answer...the greater axis tilt cause the ball to fly more offline.

Anyway, what I see is that his backswing in particular is much faster. There was a video I saw this past weekend comparing his old driver swing with his new one and he's reaching his backswing much more quickly to the top. It's not just an arms and hands deal. He's pivoting really hard going back to help increase speed int he downswing. His feet are far more apart to help him use the ground better and his left foot is less 'stable' to really use that foot. Also from the looks of it, the action from p9-p10 along with the foot action should protect the lower back, nicely.

It also looks like they are using Chris Como's 'throw the axe' feel in transition.. It's a different swing than his old swing, no doubt.

RH

Don’t think it’s possible to carry 300 with standard conditions. I would know given that I just got fit with a 108 swing speed, optimal spin around 2000, and hitting 2-4 degrees up, maxed smash factor and was topping out around 280-285 yards carry.

Most amateurs can’t create the right launch conditions with a 9 degree driver much less anything underneath that.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Agree

the most I had at Ping was 278 carry swinging 108 .. that was with near ideal 2200 spin, +5 AoA, 14.5* launch Etc.

In fact I don’t think I’ve carried one 280 in all my recent Ping and TM and Titleist fittings, even when I hit 109

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9