Dechambeau throws a fit, blames camara man for ruining his brand

bogeypro

in today's segment of why I dislike Bryson. Dude really is a mental case. He hits a bad bunker shot, then throws a fit. He gets upset at the camera operator for filming him....

Quote:

“He was literally watching me the whole entire way up after getting out of the bunker, walking up next to the green...." Bryson DeChambeau confronts cameraman for potentially damaging his brand

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

Putter TBD

I agree with him in a sense, though. And truthfully this is partly our own fault because we still view golfers as different than other athletes, as "gentlemen" rather than competitors. If you watch the NBA or NFL you see a lot temper tantrums, we just expect it more from sports like that

In golf we still blast guys a bit for the same stuff. Guys are gonna get heated playing sports, I don't think there is a way around it. But in the NFL we view that guy as a passionate warrior, and in the PGA it probably does hurt his brand frankly

It will come off as childish to scold a cameraman who is just doing a job where he likely has bosses telling him to do these things... and then talk openly about the branding aspect on top of that, however.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

He needs to put on his "Big Boy" pants (it's what, a 42" waist now?) and take responsibility for his actions. So what? He got mad and did something. Own up to it and put your head down and move on. Tiger did lots of stuff on camera and didn't feel the need to address it like it was someone else's fault. Can't imagine if Bryson was caught farting on a tee and replayed a bazillion times. It is what it is. Move on.

His "Brand?!?" Phhtt. Sorry Bryson, you're not in the class of Tiger, Jordan or anyone else that has a brand.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

u gotta throw in hockey and baseball at the top of that list, where they regularly throw temper tantrums to the point of brawling, and it’s considered acceptable.

i agree tho with your main point.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Bryson’s business manager, David Simms, went on to state regarding the cameraman, “Does Bryson walk into other work situations where this cameraman is and follow him around? I don’t think so.”

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

that was absurd...if he cares about his brand so much..then behave yourself..odd...don't mind the guy..but he is sounding like a politician i know...who also plays golf

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Uuuugh, there's nothing I dislike more than human beings declaring themselves as "brands". I don't care who you are, I will never consider you a consumer product nor will your mere existence influence what I purchase in the consumer realm.

Having said that, I bought my first set of 'players irons' (AP2 714) because Speith won the Masters using them.

Based on everything I heard from multiple people about his behavior and the way he treated others while in Las Vegas, I understand that most of the time Bryson is a first class person who treats others extremely well, even when no one is watching. The staff at TPC Summerlin were extremely complimentary. Unfortunately he occasionally loses it and behaves in a particularly petulant immature fashion. The comment about his brand was especially stupid and embarrassing. I'm still a fan but he needs to grow up and remember that the cameras are always around.

Sorry, Bryson. You get paid millions of dollars to play golf on TV. To be seen wearing Puma clothes and playing Cobra clubs on TV. Your value to your sponsors (and therefore what they are willing to pay you) is directly related to the amount of time you spend on screen. You don’t get to reap the benefits of outsized media attention without accepting the potential downside of it being more likely your tantrums are caught on camera. I’m not suggesting it’s an easy thing to deal with, but it’s part of what you signed up for and you have to take the bad with the good.

• Like 2

After watching sports for so many years I don't see Bryson as especially a jerk. Maybe someone has met him in person and knows better. I believe he shouldn't have been so hard on the cameraman and as much as I try to live by my Catholic values I could see myself doing that in the same situation. Bryson seems a bit naive and socially lost and on top of trying to win tournaments he's got his equipment handlers in his head all the time. I think I would prefer to have less endorsement money and more freedom.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.