GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

DISCUSSION THREAD: Members Choice: Best Irons of 2020

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRXMarshals  9122WRX Points: 690Posts: 9,122 Marshals

Thank you to all the GolfWRX members who participated in our Members Choice Best Irons surveys! Needless to say, there would be no Members Choice without our members choosing, so again, many thanks!

You can find our five front-page features via the links below.

Best irons...

And as this is the official discussion thread, we look forward to your comments.

Posted:
Post edited by BAlberstadt on

Comments

• HDTVMANHDTVMAN HDTVMAN Members  55WRX Points: 49Handicap: 12Posts: 55 Bunkers

I'd have to add the Ping i500 irons alongside the TM P790's in all the categories. Very easy to hit, launch, excellent distance, and fun to play. Plus, they are one of the best looking clubs I've played in years. Although they've been out since Fall 2018, they are still current with Ping. When you have one of the best, it's tough to improve.

Posted:

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Diamona S+ Ltd 70
    Ping G410 5-Wood w/Tensi Orange
    Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrid w/Tensi Blue
    Ping i500 5-AW w/Recoil SmacWrap
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 w/Recoil 54° & 58°
    Bettinardi BB56 / Queen Bee 6
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mitchdocmitchdoc Members  460WRX Points: 85Posts: 460 Greens

Prefer the Forged Tecs over p790 and HMB mp 20 by a long shot!

Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4861WRX Points: 557Posts: 4,861 Titanium Tees

the TM irons seem to dominate every category, these must be amazing..........i am in the market for new irons and the top 3 in the article are the ones I wanted to test! guess i cant go wrong.....and the modus shafts seem to be everyone's facvorites...

i just wonder what the new Srixon's will feel like....

Posted:
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3937WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,937 Titanium Tees

Surprised the Mavrik irons didn’t make easy launch or technical packed. They be some special irons.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

• GenostarrrGenostarrr Members  11WRX Points: 7Posts: 11 Bunkers

Was the cobra forged Tec even an option? Online reviews have them beating out the p790 for the most part...

Posted:
  • golfpros1golfpros1 Members  7999WRX Points: 387Handicap: 0.2Posts: 7,999 Titanium Tees

I think Titleist was hurt having to split a vote between the T100 and T100s on the polls, yet they still finished very high (3rd best shotmaking, 4th best technology, 2nd best overall).

The TM p790 is NOT a better iron in all of these categories... especially compared to some of the other irons that finished in the top 5, and others that weren't even mentioned.

Posted:
    Post edited by golfpros1 on
    Golf Jobs
    ---
    What's In The Bag:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-W Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Putter: Ping Anser
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
    Bag: Titleist

Advertisement
  • karstens_ghostkarstens_ghost Members  30WRX Points: 37Handicap: BlondesPosts: 30 Bunkers

You just have to love these "I love and play what I just purchased" surveys.

What are the odds that even 20% of respondents hit more than 2 of the irons off green grass?

Posted:

G410 LST9, LST14.5, Hybrid 19; i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide F 50/54/58; Fetch w/ Breakthrough.

• hypergolfhypergolf Members  1364WRX Points: 138Posts: 1,364 Platinum Tees

Agree 100% with the results. I was in the market this year to replace my MP60. Though people hyped up the new Mizuno MP20 line, I am glad I tested out everything myself without falling trap blindly following people's opinion. My final 2 top contenders were T100s and Z785. This comes to prove that marketing hype and preconceived perception should always be taken with a bucket load of salt and do your own testing to make your choice. I am glad I went with Z785 especially at the bargain price I bought them!

Posted:
  • gunmetalgunmetal IdahoMembers  1943WRX Points: 191Handicap: 4.8Posts: 1,943 Platinum Tees

Surprised not to see Cobra King Forged Black in any list. They tick every box for me, including using a durable finish unlike other companies using cheap PVD.

Posted:
  • Tipsy McHookerTipsy McHooker Members  563WRX Points: 89Posts: 563 Golden Tee

I have bot a set of Titleist T200's and a set of mizuno JPX 919's tour and i alternate every two rounds. Love them both and they both have their own advantages. Keeping both--one set may end up at my uncle's house in florida for my visits.

Posted:
  • jjmmagoojjmmagoo Bag room attendent Members  41WRX Points: 73Handicap: 8Posts: 41 Bunkers

For the first time in 16 years i purchased a new set of irons. I was using the Taylormade RAC CB irons. I simply loved these clubs. When hit well it gives you immediate feedback you hit it well. Very accurate and they just looked great standing over the ball. When I started to have a family I played a lot less golf. I missed it but couldn't justify spending big bucks on a new set of irons. Soon the tech in Irons was getting too complicated. At one time was going to spend money on the Bridgestone J33 but something came up and couldn't swing it. It was by luck I was working from home with the COVID-19 pandemic on our hands and I received an email from Srixon factory was reopening. I looked at the website and loved the 785 irons. So i fooled around with the custom settings and next thing you know I bought my first rions in over a decade. BEST DECISION I have ever made. They are sweet. Buttery soft. You can control and shape the shot. I already dropped a full point on my handicap. Broke 80 two rounds in a row for the first time ever! I paired these heads with the Project X LZ shafts. Simply perfection. These irons were made for this shaft and this shaft was made for these Irons. If you have the chance. Check out the 785. You won't be disappointed!!!!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfpros1golfpros1 Members  7999WRX Points: 387Handicap: 0.2Posts: 7,999 Titanium Tees

That's a great story. My experience this year is a little similar. It had been 12 years since I bought clubs. I even had the original grips on them for goodness sake. I went to a Titleist Thursday and was totally sold on the T100 irons and felt this was finally the year. I also went with the Project X LZ shaft, and it was a great feeling shaft. What shaft did you have before that?

Posted:
    Golf Jobs
    ---
    What's In The Bag:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-W Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Putter: Ping Anser
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
    Bag: Titleist
  • jjmmagoojjmmagoo Bag room attendent Members  41WRX Points: 73Handicap: 8Posts: 41 Bunkers

Thank you!!! I had your basic True Temper S300 shaft. At the time the Taylormade RAC CB's were the must have irons. Then there was the hoopla over them being tour heads and or Miura forging. I was like wow. Turns out, my irons are tour heads but not miura forgings. I remember going to a demo day and the Taylormade reps were checking out my bag. They kept saying you have better stuff then we do!!! I was lucky at the time. My wife worked and i worked only a four day work week so I golfed 3 to 4 times a week. Then we decided to have a family and my golfing went from 3 to 4 times a week to maybe twice a month if lucky.

Sorry for the long winded answer. In short I simply love the project x LZ shafts. My ball flight is perfect and the feel with these irons are better than i could imagine. Srixon did a great job. I was so worried i forgot my personal custom specs but they are identical to my RAC's.

Posted:
  • tdelamtdelam Club Junkie Members  3587WRX Points: 173Handicap: 7.2Posts: 3,587 Titanium Tees

I agree with this.

I've went through a few sets of irons this year, as I always do. I like to tinker! But, I got a set of TM P790's (2019) to try to see what the hype was about and they never left the bag. I sold all of my other sets (MP 20 SEL, PXG 0311T, Ping i500, and Titleist AP2's).

Posted:
    - TBD 
    -
    TaylorMade P790 (2019) 3-PW  
    - Mizuno T-20 Wedges
    - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 
    - Srixon Z Star

• doctorgriffodoctorgriffo Members  11WRX Points: 13Handicap: 5.0Posts: 11 Bunkers

I got hypnotised by the insane distance I got out of the p790s on an indoor fitting, low spin but high launch and so long. Unfortunately, out on the course I really struggled with distance control. Took them back and exchanged them for an mp20 mmc/mb combo set and gave back a few yards but gained back some control. Interestingly, I hated the HMBs - couldn’t hit them.

Posted:
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1561WRX Points: 343Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

^^^^^^^^^ THIS. 100% THIS

I have seen piles of people fit into P790's, lured into thinking they need to hit their irons longer. So when their playing partners ask what they hit, the person can say a 9 iron when their buddies all hit 8 or 7.

I guess the mentality is, my scores have gone up because I fly a pile of greens, and my GIR has gone down, but my golf "dong" is bigger than theirs so I don't care.

There were way TOO many lower spin players put into an iron (P790 or other hollowed bodied iron) that now can't control their distance because every shot that has a little dew or grass or dirt between the ball and club face now becomes some sort of flier.

==

I have a buddy that the P790 was the best iron for him ever. He could almost spin a 6 or 7 iron back. He doesn't want to relearn the game, so I sold him mine. His scores have gotten better and when the wind blows he doesn't want to quit now. He is the exception, not the rule, very few people spin their irons too much.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping G400 Max on Tour 75 shaft
    Fairway - TM M5 on Project X HZRDOUS Yellow
    Hybrid - Ping G400 on Tour shaft
    Irons - (5) Cobra Speed Zone on Project X Catalyst 100
    Irons - (6) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons (7-W) Srixon 765 on Recoil 110
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 4 58* and 62* all on UST Recoil 110
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylor Made Spider Tour
    Ball - Srixon Z Star or Z Star XV

Advertisement
  • alphabits12alphabits12 Members  40WRX Points: 9Posts: 40 Bunkers

P790s seem like the way to go! Only drawback I’ve heard is distance control which would be an extremely difficult problem to have.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.