***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Experience with Lessons at GolfTec

Brenkj ·  
BrenkjBrenkj Members  73WRX Points: 14Posts: 73 Bunkers

I'm thinking about trying a few lessons at GolfTec. I'm pretty impressed by the amount of technology they use to analyze students' swings and recommend changes. I'm really not a fan of hitting on an indoor simulator, which is all they use, but I know a couple of people who swear they shaved several strokes off their handicap after just a few lessons. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25613WRX Points: 2,831Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,613 ClubWRX

One of the guys in our group has been working with them for probably 3 years. He's 72 and hits it 240 off the tee with a nice little draw which helps him get that length. He's much more consistent in his swing and I think he'd say it was a great investment.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • R.J.H.R.J.H. Members  9WRX Points: 48Posts: 9 Bunkers

I took a few lessons with GolfTec a while back. It was pretty technical-- more data driven instead of feel. I think it's valuable just to see the data.

Posted:
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  785WRX Points: 146Posts: 785 Golden Tee

I’m taking lessons with them now, it’s nice seeing every swing u take frame by frame so you see what you are doing in comparison to what you should be doing. It’s less technical currently where I am as due to Covid you don’t use the harness where they get most numbers. You also get 1.5 hours a week of practice time which is good.

Posted:
  • hurley999shurley999s Members  846WRX Points: 422Posts: 846 Golden Tee

All comes down to how good the instructor is and how they can relate the material to you. This is true with any instructor. The golf swing is not natural for many people, the flaws in their swing are for a variety of reasons, and the things they need to “feel” to make the right movements are all over the board. A good instructor will try to get at the heart of YOUR issues, so if you get that sense, it can be positive. If you feel like they’re laying out a cookie cutter approach, it probably won’t work out.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee

First, as previously mentioned you need to have a good instructor to people to find multiple ways to tell you one thing until they find the one that sticks best with you. That's true for all instructors. As for the indoor v outdoor thing it's really a personal preference on how you best download data.

I myself get indoor lessons (not golf tech) but all the same technology. My engineer brain does better learning to get to the numbers say swing path in to out, and then understanding how it feels to get to that number.

Last, and this goes for any lesson, leave with set homework, and understand it might not be hit prefect straight shots; whether it be half swings and positional, or going to the range and hitting shots a certain way. I know when I started my lessons I had to build myself up, intentionally playing a push until I got that down then incorporating the next item. Once your over 2-3 new items to work on you may overload your brain and negate good practice.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• ofortunaofortuna Members  463WRX Points: 59Handicap: 8.4Posts: 463 Greens

Be careful of being fed data as a substitute for expert instruction that gets you from point A to point B in an efficient way along with an explanation of the why's. If you have an unlimited budget and aren't critical of whether you're experiencing real improvement, you can end up spending years at golftec chasing numbers and positions without getting much better.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

It is a 'style' choice that is not for everyone. How much data can you process? Are you interesting in working textbook swing or would you rather make the best out of the swing you have.

I did golftec for about a year. It was super interesting, but never really helped me get better. I did help me realize that I was a better feel player than a data player.

Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

I'm two lessons in. As @capking said. They are not using the body harness now to Covid. So it's good ole instruction. Using a noodle and impact bag so far.

Lesson 1 got me to immediately get a bigger hip turn and by default s bit longer backswing. I was barely getting my hands to my shoulders. Picked up 8 mph in ball speed with the 7 iron just from that.

Lesson 2 was a big undertaking. Going from a severe out to in path at the start of the downswimg to come from an inside approach. That will take some more work to ingrain and make solid contact.

So far I'm pleased.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3816WRX Points: 254Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,816 ClubWRX

Starts with a video breakdown of your swing using sensors placed on your body. Then afterwards they sell you on a package of lessons to hopefully improve your game.

Posted:
    Ping 400 Oban Devotion
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Ping Crossover 3 iron 
    Ping S55 TI AMT S400 4-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,58 115
    Odyssey Proto  
    Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness
  • ronnbeeronnbee Members  1164WRX Points: 118Posts: 1,164 Platinum Tees

will be out of business soon

Posted:

Did you search out this old thread to speculate?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BrenkjBrenkj Members  73WRX Points: 14Posts: 73 Bunkers

I'm not sure I understand the last two comments (from ronnbee and capking).

Posted:

I was commenting on whether he was speculating on troubles for them as this thread hasn’t been commented on for a month so he would’ve had to seek it out.

Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

If you see my post above yours, I mentioned they aren't using the sensors during the pandemic.

An update on my lessons. Now 3 lessoks in and ive made significant changes to my hip/shoulder turn and swing path.

Still a lot of work to do. But I had my best 9 hole score of 41 on our toughest course this week. We have two 18 hole course. I had some trouble on the back with a 47. But that was a result of two very tough holes into the wind with hazards I didn't clear. And the fact I putted like a bricklayer.

Posted:
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

I just finished my 10 lesson pack, depending how the summer pans out I may re-up for the winter. I have issues with closing the club face... which I’m proving difficult to get over.

Posted:

Thats where I’m at right now. I made the first two changes in one lesson, this is not as easy. Combined with during my last lesson, i began hitting the ball off the heel of the iron. Could not get it out more toward the center to save my life.

will try and get more practice in this week.

Posted:
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.