GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

A Day at Bandon

deckmc4868 ·  
deckmc4868deckmc4868 ColoradoMembers  14WRX Points: 26Handicap: 10Posts: 14 Bunkers

Going to have one day at Bandon Dunes in the fall. Wanna play one of the courses then a trek around Preserve before I head back to where we are staying on the coast. Which course is an absolute must play?

Posted:

All my grips are Golf Pride Gold Mid size

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

3 Wood: Ping G400 14.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19* Ping Tour XStiff 85

Irons: Ping i200 +1 1/2" White Dot 4-UW Dynamic Gold x100 

Wedges: Vokey SM7 54* and 58*

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Comments

• puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3399WRX Points: 468Posts: 3,399 Titanium Tees

I guess playing the #1 ranked course in the US would be enough of an answer.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • deckmc4868deckmc4868 ColoradoMembers  14WRX Points: 26Handicap: 10Posts: 14 Bunkers

While I appreciate your blunt response... I am also interested in anyones feed back on the other 5 courses.

Posted:

• az2auaz2au Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NYUnregistered  2302WRX Points: 463Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,302 Platinum Tees

That’s a bit pointless though as there have been multiple threads on this, including a very recent one, and there’s no consensus. I would say Old Mac is the easy choice and plenty of people would completely disagree. No issue with that.

Posted:
  • deckmc4868deckmc4868 ColoradoMembers  14WRX Points: 26Handicap: 10Posts: 14 Bunkers

I don't need a consensus. I would like opinions to then formulate my own. Like why do you like Old Mac?

Posted:

• puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3399WRX Points: 468Posts: 3,399 Titanium Tees

LOL. Then go read the dozens of post which do exactly this. You did NOT ask for opinions dude....you asked which is a "absolute must play". That is a blunt question and in return received a blunt answer.

No one here needs your poor attitude.

Posted:

Really confused how my attitude is poor, but you are absolutely correct. I didn't ask my question in a way to get the answer I was looking for... obviously Bandon is amazing, all the threads I read through were people giving their opinions on the courses with no reasoning. Just their thought on which ones are the best. I would love to hear why people enjoy each course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1718WRX Points: 981Posts: 1,718 Platinum Tees

If you only have one round, I'm going to say Old Mac.

It's fun to play and won't beat you up score wise. It has plenty of fun holes and while it doesn't have the seaside views of the others it has great views of the property.

My second choice would be Sheep Ranch because it's new so you'd get to be one of the few who has actually played it. The videos I have seen of it are quite spectacular.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• The PearlThe Pearl Members  2080WRX Points: 205Posts: 2,080 Platinum Tees

Tough call, but Pacific Dunes is the logical and default choice. No ocean holes at Trails or Old Mac. Old Mac is a love it or hate it course so don't risk it. Bandon Dunes is a poor man's Pacific Dunes, but is often many golfer's favorite at the end of the trip.

Can't speak to the Sheep Ranch as I won't play it until next March.

I look at it this way, Pacific Dunes has it all and is ranked the highest for a reason.

Posted:
  • poppyhillsguypoppyhillsguy Members  3171WRX Points: 167Posts: 3,171 Titanium Tees
    1. Pacific Dunes; best hole on the property is 4. Best par 3 on the property in 11. 10-13 is an amazing stretch that sums up the Bandon experience.
    2. Bandon Trails; love the variety, a Coore Crenshaw beauty.
    3. Bandon Dunes; best final stretch of 16-18 and the back 9 may be my favorite 9 holes.
    4. Old Mac; maybe the closest I ever get to Scotland.

I haven't played Sheep Ranch (yet).

Posted:
  • az2auaz2au Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NYUnregistered  2302WRX Points: 463Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,302 Platinum Tees

Old Mac is the most “fun” course I’ve played more than once. Pacific is amazingly dramatic. Trails is an excellent design and an impressive use of land. Bandon Dunes is a great course but is a distant 4th for me because it isn’t the best at anything there.

Note: I’ve only played the Sheep Ranch the old way. It could be the best now.

Posted:
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy MassMembers  1280WRX Points: 246Handicap: 10.5Posts: 1,280 Platinum Tees

JFC pick a course anyone of them is spectacular although my choice would be PD

Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- Pw Mizuno HMP Nippon Modus 120
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    58    Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

Advertisement
  • mallratmallrat Members  3343WRX Points: 482Posts: 3,343 Titanium Tees

Why don’t you let us know what are you looking for when picking the course or in a course you like?

we all have different favorites and for different reasons YET most of us that go regularly agree on the pros and cons of each course.

Example, Trails is my favorite and just 1 part of my reasoning is the serenity. When I am playing Trails I feel like my group is the only group on the course. You may see a group in front or behind but the way it is routed you aren’t right next to groups

or Old Mac, every time I play it it’s just a fun round. I don’t think it is the best on property at anything and most holes aren’t all that memorable but I also enjoy myself.

And to an above poster, I think 17 on Trails is my favorite par 3 on property

Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  634WRX Points: 304Handicap: 3Posts: 634 Golden Tee

Do yourself a favor and learn how to use the ignore feature for some of the Richard Nogins here. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of the courses. They are all fantastic. Bandon Trials is the only one that’s not links layout, however it’s still a great course. Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes are similar. Old Mac is more open with enormous greens, and I have not played Sheep Ranch yet. If I was going to pick just one to play it would be Bandon Dunes because its balance of scenery, hoel layout, and it's not quite as difficult as Pacific. But once again, I would be happy playing any of them.

Posted:
    Post edited by hammergolf on
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1072WRX Points: 194Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,072 Platinum Tees

Pacific Dunes - while each course has it's own personality, and as others have mentioned, we could argue all day about the whats and whys, PD is the best overall example of links golf at the resort.

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • tideridertiderider Members  3182WRX Points: 2,201Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,182 Titanium Tees

No Laying Up did a podcast over their trip to bandon a few years back, and at one point compared each course to the woman a man would be with at different times in his life ... they describe the courses fairly well ... check their website and look it up ...

Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  634WRX Points: 304Handicap: 3Posts: 634 Golden Tee

There are a few other vlogs on youtube from Erik Anders Lang and the Golfholics playing the different courses if you want to see what you prefer.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"

Advertisement
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Lefty Boomers  141WRX Points: 114Posts: 141 Fairways

I would just show up and go into pro shop and have them get you out on whatever is available, Whichever course they put you on will be on your all time list of courses. That is the beauty of the place. All 5 courses are the best...in their own way. One you play one, you will plan a return trip that you can take more time and play them all. Once you do that, you will be able to decide for yourself which one is the best. Your list will change with each subsequent trip. Your list will be different than mine and everyone else's. That is the beauty of the place. I am going net week and my list will undoubtedly change...again

Posted:
  • jrg75jrg75 Members  77WRX Points: 93Posts: 77 Fairways

For your first time and only one round, Pacific or Bandon would be my choice with slight advantage to Pacific. It has a better variety of holes, especially the non-ocean ones. Bandon's non ocean holes are great but not as good as Pacific IMO.

As you play there more, I've noticed my favorite has shifted. First trip was Bandon, next was Pacific. By my third trip there, I started to really appreciate what a masterpiece Trails is, its solidy my 2nd favorite, right behind Pacific.

Old Mac is great but quirky with some maddening greens. I consider it a great replay option but definitely a lower tier than Bandon, Pacific or Trails.

Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  965WRX Points: 314Handicap: 14Posts: 965 Golden Tee

+1 Bandon Dunes was the original and the most fun to play IMHO. You can do the others on your next trip.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9956WRX Points: 1,180Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,956 Titanium Tees

Pac is the showiest, fantastic views, some marquee holes, and the easiest one to think highly of at first blush, but least traditional links-like of the courses with too many aerial approaches and also 3 mundane par 5s that are essentially there to eat up ground

Bandon is my favorite, so I am biased in that regard, best wow moment starts best 3 hole stretch, great match play closing 5 holes (allbeit like most of them another meh par 5, finishes it) and more prettiness and views

Old Mac is the best (by design of course) approximation of a traditional links if you want that, between it and Bandon for most fun, limited views, although a class one climbing the hill on 3 and 7, it might average out the highest amongst our foursome

Trails is great as well, but for 1 round, go oceanside.

I'm discounting SR because I doubt the turf is as linksy as the others yet (haven't played it though) since it just opened.

Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6856WRX Points: 775Posts: 6,856 Titanium Tees

@deckmc4868 I'd go for Bandon Dunes or Pacific Dunes. I love Trails but it's inland and lets face it, you don't go to Bandon for the trees, you go for the ocean views. Old Mac was cool, but again no ocean holes. I'm a midwest guy, so oceanside courses are not all that common so I'd go for that and the views. If you're from somewhere where ocean golf is common, maybe go for Trails or Old Mac. Bandon and Pacific have the best views of the ocean and holes along the ocean (I haven't played Sheep Ranch yet, which is supposed to be the best for this) and that's what I'd want to see. IMO Bandon is the more simple, original style course there, and Pacific has similar views at times but IMO has harder holes and can be far more penal and wicked.

But in the end, it's a day at Bandon and you can't go wrong with that. Enjoy.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CDMCDM Members  2094WRX Points: 303Posts: 2,094 Platinum Tees

OP Honestly cant go wrong with any. As you probably see it is a coin toss based on personal opinion and likes. I would do as someone recommend find video fly overs, youtube, etc and you get an idea (sort of) of what each course looks like and what you like.

Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1650WRX Points: 271Handicap: 5Posts: 1,650 Platinum Tees

One round only I'd take either Bandon or Pacific. (I haven't played the Sheep Ranch yet so can't rate it.) I personally love Trails, but if you're playing 1 round you want the ocean. Pacific is a little more visually spectacular, Bandon is a little more fun. Can't go wrong with either.

Posted:
  • sabramsabram Members  1627WRX Points: 230Posts: 1,627 Platinum Tees

I'm a big fan of Old Mac. The greens are amazing. It's quirky. Here are links to photo tours of the first four courses.

Link tor reviews from 2011 trip: https://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879262419/ - Old Mac Photo tour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879505589/ Pacific Dunes Photo tour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879505589/ Bandon Trails photo tour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631876242641/ Bandon Dunes Photo tour

Posted:
  • desailledesaille Members  1761WRX Points: 172Posts: 1,761 Platinum Tees

SR has the most/best views and will be WINDY. Quite a stretch from 15,16,17 run along the cliff line. Lots of infinity holes. It's also the easiest to walk with most risk reward. 18 needs to be a par 4. Tee boxes and greens are close together

BD - Traditional, course is great shape for US Am. They've removed a ton of gorse so it's a lot easier to play than when it first opened up.

PD - Greens weren't the best when we played in June. Course is fantastic, like Bandon, lot's of different types of holes.

Old Mac - TIs a golf architects dream, every type oh hole you can think of. But like many say, love it or hate it.

BT - Inland course with lots of trees. FW wide open but don't let that lure you to spraying it, makes for harder approaches and greens. Like MallRat, Par 3 - 17th is one of the best. 18 has gotten better.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • migolfkemigolfke Members  610WRX Points: 97Posts: 610 Golden Tee

I would say don’t play Trails or Old Mac if you only have one day. I absolutely love both courses by the way. Trails is like something you may have seen before. Get as close to the ocean as you can. Old Mac is awesome, but some people don’t love it so I think skipping it is a “safe” play.

Bandon is awesome and a bit more tame than Pacific. When I was there we picked Bandon as our last round before we left and I don’t regret that.

If I were you, I would call up and see the earliest tee time you can get at pac, Bandon or sheep ranch. Book that time - then get the earliest time after expected completion time of your first round for your next round at one of the other two courses. If you have time after your second round, hit up the preserve.

whatever you do, you will love it.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9956WRX Points: 1,180Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,956 Titanium Tees

Thanks for the SR update. How are the transitions from apron to green? Assume we're a good two years from approximating the playing conditions we'd like and what 5 from being nearer still?

Do they tend to be a bit grabby (like Poppy/Corica on reopen)? Apart from the greens, generally shaggy or they have the fairways fairly trim?

Posted:
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members  317WRX Points: 155Handicap: 3Posts: 317 Greens

Amazing that's exactly how i rank them... sheep was honestly a little rough playing with how slow the greens were. Routing wise i thought it was enjoyable. And yes! 18 is a par 4. our entire foursome had mid irons in

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906F4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-20 4-P
    Mizuno T20 50,55,60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Advertisement
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

@duffer987 Things are very firm all around at SR. Fairways weren't as tight as Bandon Dunes (rock hard and short), but not shaggy. Turf throughout is good...it is just weird to look at putts that appear that they should be fast, yet they aren't. But still fun to play.

Forgot to mention re: SR....during my walking tour in Feb, it appeared that the tee box for 17 would be behind the 16th green. Just like this picture shows. Well, there is a tee spot there, but I will leave it for Bryson or some other bomber....thankfully we walked up to a more playable, but less scenic, shot.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.