GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Covid hard pan sand traps?

FakeClubPro ·  
FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  193WRX Points: 82Posts: 193 Fairways

I have been playing in Florida at two of the local munis that are above average munis. We have been getting lots of rain this summer. The sand traps are all like concrete because of the rain and no rakes.

I know expensive private clubs probably have fluffy sand. Pre-Covid due the greens people usually rake the traps?

When I hit it in these hard pan sand trap I just groan.

Anyone else encountering hard pan sand traps around the country?

I like 1 person per cart and keeping the flag in the hole due to Covid, but what's up with the sand traps?

Posted:

Comments

• Leftlove94Leftlove94 Members  86WRX Points: 35Posts: 86 Fairways

I grew up on hard sand so it’s not a big deal to me, but yes every course I’ve played has it. Most courses/people I play with are allowing “preferred lie” in the bunkers since they’re already bad.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ProStrykerProStryker Zombie Hunter Members  544WRX Points: 95Posts: 544 Golden Tee

We are raking the sand with our feet, and placing the ball on a decent lie due to COVID.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 9*, Aldila Rogue White 60
    Callaway Mavrik 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
    Ping G410 hybrid, 19*, Tour 85
    Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
    Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
    Cameron Special Select Squareback 2
    Titleist ProV1
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees

I think this is the common, preferred way of dealing with sand traps during these times.

Posted:
  • FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  193WRX Points: 82Posts: 193 Fairways

Did most munis and private clubs have the greens keepers rake the traps regularly? I know some places are cheap and do not refresh the sand. It might rain hard and a lot of the new sand gets washed away.

I know one of the tricks is to use a PW or 9 iron with no bounce and sharper edge.

Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees

Probably like most courses, they'll rake it at the end of the day or beginning of the day and people will just have to deal with it because there are no rakes. You get a free drop out of a footprint but the drop might result in sort of a fried egg lie.

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  533WRX Points: 317Handicap: 19Posts: 533 Golden Tee

Also in FL, and this is common yearly in the summer (rainy season). Most courses I've seen will replenish the sand in the fall before the busy season, and after the rain so they don't lose half the sand they bought due to rain. I honestly re did my wedge configuration. A high bounce sand wedge for the fluffy stuff, and a low bounce lob for the hard stuff.

I say most people would rake traps when a rake is provided from what I've seen. (note I play mostly nice public courses.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13983WRX Points: 1,535Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,983 Titanium Tees

Rake and place is how we have been doing it.

Learning to hit a bunker shot from hard packed sand is a nice skill to learn however. :) I would recommend not opening the face as much, you don't want as much bounce, play it more like a standard pitch shot with a square to slightly open face, don't quit on the swing, but you wont need quite as much effort, the ball if hit properly should spin a lot.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • nk_716nk_716 Members  6WRX Points: 12Posts: 6 Bunkers

The other night I was playing with my father-in-law at favorite course. It's a public course in NY but very well maintained for the 27 holes they have. The first time I was there this year (early COVID) all the bunkers were hard pan and very rocky. Last Friday with my father-in-law I made a comment on how much the bunkers had improved. Nice fluffy sand, looked easy to hit out of. Very next tee shot, a par 3, I went left of the green and put myself in a fried-egg bunker lie. Words came back to haunt me!

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2645WRX Points: 1,046Posts: 2,645 Titanium Tees

They not taking a sand pro through them at some point? None of the courses I play hand rake the bunkers save for the lips where they can't get a sand pro up there. No issues. Smooth it out with your foot after playing out of it.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5162WRX Points: 917Posts: 5,162 Titanium Tees

Good tip. It's very difficult to try and blast out of hardpan.

Posted:
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members  1910WRX Points: 278Posts: 1,910 Platinum Tees

I would think the hard pan issue is more related to the course maintenance staff not occasionally tilling up the sand with a machine rake rather than related to golfers not using hand rakes after hitting shots.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  648WRX Points: 313Handicap: 3Posts: 648 Golden Tee

All of our courses in this area have made a local rule calling all bunkers as GUR.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • SoILgolferSoILgolfer Members  80WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3Posts: 80 Fairways

We’ve been playing ours case by case. If we can make a reasonable lie we’ll play out of them. If not we’re treating them like GUR.

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1315WRX Points: 359Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,315 Platinum Tees

I belong to a private course, and last year they began renovating and fixing a few of the bunkers. Before covid hit this year they had planned on renovating more of them, but decided against it. Covid has made things more difficult in a financial sense.

But I'd rather deal with some sketchy bunkers than the club struggling to stay afloat.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2645WRX Points: 1,046Posts: 2,645 Titanium Tees

Rakes are back out (at one course anyway) around here.

Posted:
  • golfdaygolfday Members  35WRX Points: 81Handicap: 3Posts: 35 Bunkers

I'm taking it case by case, course by course.

Some places have completely given up on maintaining their bunkers and they are completely washed out. No sand, you may see the tarp normally underneath the sand, and there are basically mini ravines/ditches from where rain water is creating drainage areas. Some of those bunkers are to the point that I view them as ground under repair at this point.

Other places are maintaining their bunkers, keeping the sand in shape, maintenance crews give them a rake in the AM, etc. In those I'm playing as it lies unless it's in an obvious footprint (think those elephant tracks where someone really twisted their foot in).

If I'm playing in a match against someone I'll talk to them upfront how we want to handle it and make it so there are no interpretations needed so we can avoid arguments. A) play all balls down in bunkers B) preferred lies in all bunkers C) treat all bunkers as GUP. I'm mostly going with B, however there is a course in my area that's routed us to C. Once the rakes return we'll be back to A.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZskiZski Members  23WRX Points: 26Handicap: 4Posts: 23 Bunkers

Sand at my course always has been an issue as the local sand is very dense. If no lip I putt out of them it’s that firm

we used to rake it then play your shot now without rakes it’s basically impossible to play out of the deep bunkers

ive been considering finding a kids sand box rake to carry in my bag

this is the single biggest Covid impact IMO

Posted:
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members  3239WRX Points: 191Posts: 3,239 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3H
    Ping Crossover 3-4H
    Ping G410 5-UW
    Cally MD4 56.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.