***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Single Rider Carts

DonatelloNobodie ·  
DonatelloNobodieDonatelloNobodie Members  188WRX Points: 92Handicap: 5Posts: 188 Fairways

I play in a senior league. Many courses (about half) do not provide single rider carts, instead insisting on 2 players to a cart. That seems risky, given COVID social distancing recommendations. Given that this is a senior league, members are in the high-risk age group, and walking in the heat is not an option for most. 

No rakes, no water, no touching the pin, clubhouse restrictions, modified holes - yet 2 crammed into a cart? Does that make sense?

Is cart revenue that important to courses? Perhaps the greatly reduced participation in outings at these courses will change their minds.

Posted:

Comments

• caniac6caniac6 Members  3657WRX Points: 1,314Handicap: 4Posts: 3,657 Titanium Tees

Our course is encouraging doubles in a cart, but still allowing singles. I think the biggest problem is that they are running out of carts. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what they are doing. They have put water coolers back, but no rakes, ball washers, or touching the stick. I am in the vulnerable age group, so I'll pay extra to get a single cart.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members  1117WRX Points: 104Handicap: 9.3Posts: 1,117 Platinum Tees

I would be walking back into the pro shop to get a refund if they tried to make me share a cart with a stranger. Haven't had an issue yet though.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Double Wide Flow Neck Putter
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6274WRX Points: 313Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,274 Titanium Tees

Ran into this Saturday at CT National. Rakes are out, no water though. Mandatory doubles in carts. Guy I had to share a cart with put up a stink that you could hear the arguing 100+ feet away (I was on the range, he on the porch of the clubhouse). He ponied up for a single cart. I, personally, don't care, because I know I don't have it since I'm pretty much sequestered at home anyways, and trying to escape it is a futile effort (I'm a pragmatic realist that while I may get it my chances of dying are slim to nil) but he wanted to be sure. He's a great guy and all, and he has family to worry about... I mean, I get it, but wow. (I was asked if I wanted to split walking on 9 holes to share the single cart due to their rules. "Nope, not in 91* heat, 100* heat index, and 2 stents recently inserted in my ticker.

Posted:
    Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4062WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7Posts: 4,062 Titanium Tees

Wouldn't this be on a state by state decision? Making people ride double in a cart in a state that has distancing rules seems like a violation. I sympathize with courses that don't have enough carts but they can always rent more. Just the cost of staying open.

On a side note. I was in a car dealership the other day and was told to wait outside while they checked there was no more than two other customers inside. I only had to wait a minute or two but when they let me inside the salesman wasn't wearing a mask. Where is the uniformity?

Posted:
  • toddmanleytoddmanley Members  108WRX Points: 48Posts: 108 Fairways

My local course has gone to single carts and there have been some nice benefits (besides social distancing). I feel like the pace of play has picked up - instead of rounds nearing 5 hours my last couple of rounds have been right around the 4 hour mark.

Posted:
  • NCLancerNCLancer was Northern NY now The NC Triangle Members  327WRX Points: 199Posts: 327 Greens

I agree that pace of play is much better with single carts. As a twosome we played an unencumbered front nine last week in 1:25 which was almost too quick!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DonatelloNobodieDonatelloNobodie Members  188WRX Points: 92Handicap: 5Posts: 188 Fairways

Seems to me to be simply a money issue. Many of the courses, especially private, provide single rider carts. Some public courses, mostly high end priced, insist on 2 riders per cart. Many of the same courses that mandate carts! Many of us skip the outings at these courses. If the courses see sufficient play, they'll make the extra money. If not, they may change their policy. The market will decide.

The future will be interesting. Perhaps cart makers will come out with smaller, more economical, single-rider carts. (Not boards or scooters).

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee

Here in FL, and yes we suck as a state with this virus, it is single carts unless it's members of the same household. I haven't seen extra charges for riding single, they seem the same as last year.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• GSDriverGSDriver Members  1128WRX Points: 277Handicap: 3 to 4Posts: 1,128 Platinum Tees

Our course provides players the option of single or double rider carts...if that concerned, walk or don't go outside.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ Tensei AV Blue 65
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 2.0 Slate 58/64
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  526WRX Points: 270Posts: 526 Golden Tee

Clubs that remove rakes and ball washers but require two unrelated golfers to a cart are being hypocritical and also increasing risk.

No excuse IMO.

Posted:
  • CyFan CyFan If I could putt, I could play this game... Members  699WRX Points: 136Handicap: 2.8Posts: 699 Golden Tee

Courses I play have instituted a $4 fee for a single cart. Because of all the single riders, they had to bring in additional carts to avoid running out. So the fee helps offset their additional costs. Seems fair to me.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
    Titleist 816H1 19 Tensei Blue S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58 CFS
    GoLo 7, OWorks Black 1W S, Milled 9ht

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4062WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7Posts: 4,062 Titanium Tees

So if you have a threesome do they charge the person extra that's in a cart alone? Or if you go off as a single?

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members  4341WRX Points: 578Handicap: 8.2Posts: 4,341 Titanium Tees

Well, I work in an ER, asymtomatic and haven't been tested. ( My employer doesn't test us )

I insist on a single cart as I don't want to expose anyone else, since I'm probably exposed almost every time I work.

I took 4 months away from the group/club I play with so as not to expose others.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 75 5.5
    Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
    Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteeFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1/ '16 Tiki
    Wilson Staff FG Tour/ Bridgestone Tour B RXS / ProV1
  • CyFan CyFan If I could putt, I could play this game... Members  699WRX Points: 136Handicap: 2.8Posts: 699 Golden Tee

No extra charge for the third player who rides alone is my understanding.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
    Titleist 816H1 19 Tensei Blue S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58 CFS
    GoLo 7, OWorks Black 1W S, Milled 9ht
  • moose557moose557 Members  741WRX Points: 111Posts: 741 Golden Tee

All the courses i have played around here (DC area) are double riders, but will provide single carts if the player asks and they have the carts. No extra fee that i have seen yet.

Still no rakes, ball washers, water or touching the flag stick.

i would not feel comfortable sharing a cart and would probably walk if i got there and told i had to share.

Posted:
  • slocagolferslocagolfer Members  588WRX Points: 163Handicap: 8.0Posts: 588 Golden Tee

Most of the courses in my county are single rider. I thought all of them until I played one on Tuesday. Double riders. No noodles or other hole modifications, guys removing flagsticks. I won't be returning there any time soon.

I don't want to sound anti-social but I really like single rider. There are a couple of courses I play with long green to tee distances that I ride. I just had three stents installed so I'm wary about walking now anyway.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1301WRX Points: 454Posts: 1,301 Platinum Tees

Single cart here if you pay for it. Helps pace of play, I only have to help buddy look for balls on every hole if I want. I’d pay for a single cart after virus goes away

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

I work at a course in the DMV and that is our policy.

For those saying it's strictly a revenue thing. It's not in every case. We have a fleet of 150 carts and with 450 plus rounds consistently every day, there have been periods we run out of carts.

Also in a stretch of 20 straight days over 90 degrees the 8 extra tires on stressed grass for 6 groups an hour really takes a toll on the turf as well.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3759WRX Points: 356Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,759 Titanium Tees

A buddy of mine who owns a golf company in Arizona is currently investing in single rider carts. I want to one of the local courses down there has already purchased 45 of them.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • alphabits12alphabits12 Members  48WRX Points: 10Posts: 48 Bunkers

We went to single carts for awhile but are back to two. You can ride single if you choose. As stated above, I also think the issue is them running out of carts due everyone playing golf right now. Our course has been encouraging walking

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.