GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Man, golf can be pretty hectic!

Used2PlayALot ·  
Used2PlayALotUsed2PlayALot Members  309WRX Points: 98Posts: 309 Greens

When walking, especially with a cart group, there is almost no downtime.

While walking down the fairway, I have to steal away a few seconds to drink from my thermos or eat my beef jerky.

You don't want to rustle through your stuff while people are teeing off

After the hole, trying to walk off the hole and enter my putts into my phone tracker. Then walking up to the next tee to mark my GPS club tracker.

I think people overstate the idle downtime of golf. I have no time to stop and relax!

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3931WRX Points: 1,090Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,931 Titanium Tees

You're right.

So enter your info after the round. Don't bother trying to write (or record) anything mid-round. You shouldn't be focused on stat-tracking (or score-keeping) during the round anyway unless you're recording scores for the group. Someone in a cart should do that for exactly the reasons you're describing. They have time. You do not.

In fact, put your phone away entirely if you can. Am I the only person who ignores their phone while on the course, haha? How can constantly being in communication with someone else during all waking hours be fun? Surely it must be a living **** you married men are tolerating, no? Oh, well, I guess your wives are just really interested in whether that last putt broke left-to-right at the end.

Now, if drinking or chewing while walking is a problem you might consider sitting in the park and feeding the pigeons? ;)

Maybe try and find 1 person in your group who's willing to walk alongside you. Maybe agree to walk one side and ride the other with them? I don't like being the only walker in a group. It's awkward unless the course is super easy to walk with holes right next to each other. And yeah, I do think that if 3 people are riding it's sometimes more convenient if the 4th person bites the bullet and does as well. Otherwise, yeah, you just have to tolerate the pains of keeping up.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: AeroBurner (3-HL)
    Hybrid: T.E.E. E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  133WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 133 Fairways

I say take your time within reason. I keep track of my score on my phone, but will just have a practice round if it's too busy. I only play 9 so food isn't that much of an issue for me. For those of you talking about leaving the phone alone, are there really that many people trying to reach you that often? How hard is it to ignore the messages?

Posted:
  • Used2PlayALotUsed2PlayALot Members  309WRX Points: 98Posts: 309 Greens

LOL, the phone is not being used for talking to the wife, it's being used for GPS yardage. GPS is a new feature in golf technology since around 2010. How a GPS based shot tracker works? You have to enter your club for every shot you take, when you're at the ball. None of this can be done after the fact. That is kind of the entire point. If you use those blue, white, and red markers, that's good, but GPS gives exact yardage.

That said, even scoring on paper scorecard is impossible after the fact. You must be some kind of savant who can recall every shot he took. I have totally forgotten my hole score by the next hole. This is why almost everyone on the planet writes their score immediately after the hole is done, on the next tee box. I enter my number of putts within 30 seconds, or it's lost forever.

I have no issues keeping up with carts, however, there is no idle time. I am always moving. Also, since anything longer than an 8 iron doesn't loft for me, I never lose a ball. I have used the same ball for the last 3 rounds. This greatly improves my speed of play.

Posted:

I golf at 7:30am. Done by 11am. My phone is silent for the entire round. But, I refer to my phone on every single shot, for club tracking, which automatically keeps the score as well. Once I am done putting, I enter the number of putts, and then click to the next hole.

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5608WRX Points: 845Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,608 Titanium Tees

I leave my phone in my locker or turn it off to avoid any distraction. My wife and assistant know to call the club if there is a real emergency.

As for how many messages etc. There can be a lot in a day and though I am sure there is a way to hide phone call and text notifications and still have cell service on, I don’t know it. I can ignore the messages and calls as in not responding, but seeing the message/call does distract my mind regardless of how much I try to ignore it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3931WRX Points: 1,090Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,931 Titanium Tees

Still seems like overkill to me. If I had to engage with a device before & after every single shot I'd get annoyed with it pretty quickly and just give up. Besides, I switched from using GPS to using a laser a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It's way better for dialing in yardages.

A few rounds with a laser and you'll know pretty much exactly what your distances are. Not only will you shoot an exact number before each shot and be more confident that way, but you'll be able to assess your results against yardages that are precisely known.

For example, if you laser a flag at 168-yd and hit a given iron well only to find your pitch mark is 5-yds short you have a great data point to work from. A few iterations on each club and you'll dial yourself in (especially with wedges!). In my experience, GPS isn't accurate enough to really dial in your wedges anyhow.

Just my advice to ya. Oh, and quality laser rangefinders like the Golf Buddy LR5 are barely over $100. It should last many years and thus for the improvement it may have in your game, it seems more than worth it. We spend more money on less important stuff.

Posted:
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  133WRX Points: 64Handicap: 19.4Posts: 133 Fairways

That I can understand, and after I typed that I figured that people are busier than I am.

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5608WRX Points: 845Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,608 Titanium Tees

I am not even sure it about being busier, more the type of work/job you have. A large part of my work does not happen at a physical location or during regular office hours. My phone is my office, so if I want to get out of the office I have to put my phone away.

Posted:
  • GseaGsea Members  55WRX Points: 80Posts: 55 Bunkers

Seriously, wow I quit if I had to do that during a round. Talk about a downer.

Posted:
  • SeidinhoSeidinho Members  90WRX Points: 35Handicap: 10Posts: 90 Fairways

I have a GPS watch that tells me distance and records score & shots. Phone stays in the bag. That being said, walking with a group of carts sounds very stressful. I had originally booked a tee time for this Friday where they said 'all carts are already taken' (CA is still in COVID golf rules), but walking a hilly course with carts alongside just doesn't sound fun.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • klebs01klebs01 Members  656WRX Points: 280Handicap: 2.5Posts: 656 Golden Tee

Like someone else said, the GPS isn’t very accurate. I had one and had issues misclubbing. I would go back and check yardages and it would be a different number from before my shot. Changed to a laser and it that issue is gone. So much faster and more accurate. I’ve also tried keeping stats for strokes gained during a round but it ends up just being a distraction and hassle. Ditch the phone and get a laser and you will have a much more relaxed round.

Posted:

Yes I am a huge laser fan over GPS. It is very rare I don't have line of sight to a target, and when I don't there are plenty of work arounds.

Posted:

GPS is free and is dead accurate.

When I am at the red 100 marker, it says 100. Same goes for 150 white.

GPS is faster since you don't aim anything.

You just take out your phone and look at the number already displayed on the screen.

I wanted to try the club tracking (which automatically then tracks score)

I have no where to keep a scorecard, so at least I avoid the hassle of dealing with a scorecard on every hole.

Plus, I don't have to do the mental gymnastics of trying to remember every shot on the hole.

I suck at golf so there are a lot of shots to remember!

Posted:
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1315WRX Points: 358Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,315 Platinum Tees

I usually walk 18 and I put my scores into my phone after every hole. I usually do it right after I putt-out if there are other people still left to putt. Or, if I'm the last to putt I'll just do it as I am walking towards the next tee. So I can't say I ever feel rushed, I've just found ways to multi-task and maximize my time.

Also of note is I use SkyCaddie for GPS, so the device just sits on a cradle on my push cart. I don't need to fish my phone out, I can just glance down and get the yardage at any time. There are three reasons I prefer a separate GPS device from my phone: I believe they're more accurate than phone GPS (at least they used to be, maybe that's not as true these days as it once was), it doesn't suck down the battery in my phone, and like I mentioned I don't have to fiddle around for my phone every time I need a number.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1719WRX Points: 981Posts: 1,719 Platinum Tees

Since my golf GPS (Garmin G6) was stolen out of my car a few days ago :-( I have been using the 18Birdies app while I wait for the replacement to arrive.

Using my phone vs the GPS is a little more effort (unlock screen, dismiss the request to buy premium version, track some stats) it's still not a lot of effort. Either do it while other guys putt out or on the next tee while the other guys are hitting.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32900WRX Points: 3,452Posts: 32,900 Titanium Tees

I use a pencil and a scorecard.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  697WRX Points: 411Posts: 697 Golden Tee

Yeah - me too.

I like the souvenir of having a scorecard as sometimes I review rounds in my head the evening after a round as I sip my beer. The scorecard, especially those that have the little course maps, remind me about what went well, and what mistakes I made. A physical scorecard always works better than a phone app for this purpose. If it was a particularly good round, I get to re-live it a little bit by looking at that round-specific card, which is fun.

I've worked in tech and software development my entire career, so I think I'm pretty comfortable around tech, but I greatly prefer a pencil and scorecard for scorekeeping. It never asks anything of me, is always on, works with a golf glove, doesn't mind being dropped, is fully debugged, and is easy to see in the bright glare of the sun. Plus it's faster than a typical scoring app, which is the original point of this thread.

I use a rangefinder and/or GPS, but those don't require any real user input. Score/stroke keeping using an app, otoh, has never grown on me.

Posted:
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers  3827WRX Points: 794Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,827 Titanium Tees

I don't think I'd play golf if I had to interact with my phone on every shot. I use a golf dedicated gps (Bushnell Phantom), but don't use it on every shot. When I do use it, one quick glance and done, no buttons to push or screens to unlock. As far as tracking shots, I can easily remember every shot and record stats at some point later in the day if necessary. Keep it simple and focus on the actual golf at hand.

Posted:

PING Hoofer Lite

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

(PING G25 23* 4h)

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P

Titleist SM7 52.08F, 58.08M

PING BeCu Scottsdale Anser

Every app can display the round as a virtual scorecard. In fact, with shot tracker, you can review the round on a while different level. You see a picture of the hole, and every shot you took, along with the club and yardage. There is no comparison to a paper scorecard., if round review is your thing.

Posted:
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  697WRX Points: 411Posts: 697 Golden Tee

That's only true if you use those features. As I stated, I don't want an app asking me to do anything while I'm playing. When I was messing around with scoring apps (and I went through five or six of the most popular), I moved from individual shot tracking to just final score tracking because I disliked interacting with the app during the round. At that point, pencil and paper became my go-to method again.

I use GPS and rangefinders because they make me more efficient about my actual golf. Scoring apps do the opposite for me.

Plus, there's something more visceral about having that wrinkled, stained playing card to review that puts me mentally back into the round. A sterile app can't do that. May not be logical, but it's true.

Posted:

Advertisement

How hard is it to record your stats after the round?! That's what most people do. You complain that golf doesn't allow you ample time and then you presume to defend it by talking about how easy it is. How about just waiting until the end of the round? How hard is that?

Besides, how is thinking about what iron(s) you hit or how many putts you had on the last hole helping your next shot? Think about how irrational that is. You should be trying to remove all of those thoughts from your head, not helping to put more of them in there!!! Take a lesson from others, brother.

And consider a laser rangefinder. A good, reliable unit is $100. Averaged over several years, that's basically free as well. You won't notice that cost at all. And it's way more accurate. GPS doesn't know where the pin is and almost all of them (certainly the free Apps) are based on someone tracing the hole on a satellite image. That can lead to big accuracy concerns. But if you refuse to ante-up, then at least do yourself a favor and stop punching in stats during the round.

And oh, btw, are you sure those convenient-to-count stats like total putts are actually sophisticated enough to help you improve? Tallying up putts without proximity data can undermine the entire thing. And if you can already sense you've missed some short ones or that you've 3-putted from long range a few times, then why do you need an App to tell you that? You probably already know exactly the stuff you need to practice.

Posted:
    Post edited by MelloYello on
  • BogeyBrianBogeyBrian Members  114WRX Points: 31Handicap: 4Posts: 114 Fairways

my assistant and wife know to call my other assistant if there is an emergency..but i hear what you are saying.

Posted:
  • Nels55Nels55 Members  501WRX Points: 267Handicap: 6.8Posts: 501 Golden Tee

You do not need to be a Savant to remember every shot after a round is over. It is a skill that can be developed and all it takes is a bit of practice.

Posted:

Driver Mizuno ST190 9.5* / Paderson Ballistic KG70-D40. Hybrids: 3 and 4 Rogue / Steelfiber HLS980. Irons 5 through Wedge PXG 0311 / Steelfiber i110. Wedges 50*, 56*, 62* MacDaddy 4 / Steelfiber i110.

Posted:

LOL, in my entire life, I literally have never seen anyone tally up an entire round after the fact.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 2+ WinnipegClubWRX  10331WRX Points: 1,255Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,331 ClubWRX

Wow!! You must live in a world that the rest of us don't. Most of us can not only tell you every shot, yardage and conditions, but we likely can tell you the info from any round you would like to have us recall in the last few years. You need to start using your brain and put away the phone and apps.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  14063WRX Points: 2,875Handicap: 3.1Posts: 14,063 Titanium Tees

How can you not know all your shots and stats after a round ? Every guy I know can do this and often for the whole foursome

how does a gps get 100 percent accuracy if the pins move around on the green ? Laser is better in my opinion

how do you not know how far you carry each iron ?

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Ping G410 7w 19.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki ax400 82x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey TVD 52m-58m-64* s400
    Piretti Matera Elite

You need to get out more. Just about every golfer I play with can walk me through their last round in excruciating detail - where they hit each drive, when they got up and down, how many putts etc.

Try it your self after a round, you might be surprised.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.