GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Making Swing Changes Permanent

2»

Comments

• GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members  1959WRX Points: 276Handicap: 5Posts: 1,959 Platinum Tees

I wonder which pros have made the biggest swing changes so that they are clearly visible and have lead to better results. DeChambeau for example?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3522WRX Points: 939Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,522 Titanium Tees

Don't know if I would call Bryson's a swing change as it was more of a body change. Maybe a slight adjustment to adapt to the new body.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9546WRX Points: 3,171Posts: 9,546 Titanium Tees

His driver swing is absolutely different.

Rickie was making some visually measurable changes. From super flat..to less flat...to pretty standard under Butch...and now back to a bit more flat. I'd say he had a nice run of success when he was the least flat under Butch

Posted:
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3952WRX Points: 905Handicap: 9Posts: 3,952 Titanium Tees

Seems like cycle is several weeks of high focus, several months of conscious attention, soft take for many more months, then around a year or so, it feels automatic but by then, I'm already noodling with two other changes. So there's literally like a rolling harvest going on, lol.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Members  21WRX Points: 16Posts: 21 Bunkers

Definitely have to agree with that video from Jake Hutt. I spend a lot of time in the back yard hitting into the net trying to change my swing. Normally, a recipe for disaster, I've found ways to really make it work (after a lot of frustration) by sticking to a regimented routine. I hit 5 balls trying the feeling/new movement. Then I hit another 5 balls on video, and then spend 4 or 5 minutes after that analyzing the swings on video to see if I've moved in the right direction. The biggest thing is that forcing myself to stop swinging and spending the time to analyze the video every 5-10 balls stops me from getting all sorts of deviations and compensation movements.

Before I was so regimented, I would find something that made contact slightly straighter, or slightly more in the sweet spot, and then chase that new thing. Then when I finally did get a chance to look at it on video, I'd be shocked at what it had morphed into, usually something ugly and full of compensations. The biggest (and hardest) thing is to do is just be ok with bad results (fat, thin, pulls, etc) when really focusing on swing changes and focus on the video. At the same time, sometimes you also just need a second pair of eyes on the video, which is where online instruction has come in for me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3952WRX Points: 905Handicap: 9Posts: 3,952 Titanium Tees

Certainly agree with video that swing changes can take years to show up on course.

Was a time, hated my swing but was okay with my play.

Nowadays, way more okay with swing, but hate my level of play.

I'm guessing that's progress.

Posted:
  • ChazbChazb Members  1022WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,022 Platinum Tees

I read somewhere That it takes sixty repetitions per day for thirty days for just one move to be ingrained in your brain.

Posted:
  • Ralphyboy84Ralphyboy84 Members  172WRX Points: 61Handicap: +2Posts: 172 Fairways

That video is absolutely fascinating.

I was back at the range today and videod my swing and definitely noticed a regression from the screen shots I posted the other day. The positive I have taken from this thread tho is that that is ok. Swing changes aren’t linear and you will sometimes go backwards before you go forwards.

it has given me much more confidence to stick with this going forward. I believe I will get there and believe this will make me a better player going forward

Posted:
  • DLiverDLiver Members  2864WRX Points: 327Handicap: 2.2Posts: 2,864 Titanium Tees

Outstanding video. I think it overstates how long it takes, but the process is 100% valid. It is definitely a grind. You don't need video if you have a pro or knowledgeable friend watching your swing and giving you accurate feedback, but only the pros have those kinds of resources available.

Posted:
  • Rasser75Rasser75 New ZealandMembers  175WRX Points: 53Handicap: Single digit Posts: 175 Fairways

It drives me insane... its so hard and frustrating to change your swing. 🤯 and there is no guarentee that you will play better.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4267WRX Points: 778Posts: 4,267 Titanium Tees

To add to the discussion on the difficulty of learning just a small change in an established golf swing.

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

Very interesting. Not only highlights how difficult it is to learn a new motor pattern, but also how easy it is to revert back to an old one, as well as why learning new things as an adult is so much more difficult. I say that as someone who picked up golf well into adult hood

Posted:
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members  1959WRX Points: 276Handicap: 5Posts: 1,959 Platinum Tees

The Plane Mate has really helped me to make very conscious moves with added tension provided by the bands. Is has improved my back swing tremendously which has had a great impact already on the rest of the swing. Very much agree with the Jake Hutt video.

Posted:
  • Ralphyboy84Ralphyboy84 Members  172WRX Points: 61Handicap: +2Posts: 172 Fairways

So I was back at the driving today for the first time since Thursday last week. A combination of work and bad weather here in stormy Scotland meant this was the first time I’ve hit balls in almost a week. My lunchtime session was tragically bad. Near enough every shot I hit with the tour striker smart ball so the ball bounce out. I went again later in the afternoon and was so much better. Then went again in the evening and it was much better again. I guess it goes to show that you can’t really afford to take too many breaks when making a swing change, especially early on or you can end up back at square one.

Lesson learned

Posted:
  • Rasser75Rasser75 New ZealandMembers  175WRX Points: 53Handicap: Single digit Posts: 175 Fairways

Pleased to read that a +2hcp are fighting same battles. Swing changes is a pain.

So whats your practise strategy?

Just beating balls or playing games?

In my experience, its very important to transition your new piece onto the course where the actual game takes place. Once you are able to strike it solid, you need at plan for taking it to the course.

Posted:

Advertisement

Hi,

whats your practise plan/strategy?

How do you work on getting this piece incoorporated into your swing?

Posted:

So I’m doing a number of things I described earlier on. Trying to practice twice a day for 45 mins at a time, hitting slow shots, pausing at the top of my swing. I’m using the tour striker smart ball a lot. I’m not trying to think of anything on the course I’m leaving that to the range.

Its going to be a slow process unfortunately

Posted:
  • ChrisNHChrisNH 3 putts strictly prohibited... Members  353WRX Points: 43Handicap: 6Posts: 353 Greens

It takes a long freaking time, that's for sure. I think it helps to do it really slow with lots of reps and let your body and mind kind of marinade in the new, proper feeling. Drills help. You're going to fall off the wagon periodically, for a long, long time - maybe forever, so have some swing keys or feels at the ready to get back on track.

Posted:
    • TaylorMade M2 9.5* Driver
    • M2 15* 3 wood
    • Callaway Razr Fit 5 wood
    • M2 19* 3 Hybrid
    • Cobra King F6 5-PW
    • Cleveland CBX 50*, 54*
    • Cleveland RTX3 CB 60*
    • Odyssey o-works #2 putter
    • Chrome Soft Truvis

That’s the one thing I’m struggling with at the moment. When doing practice swings etc. I have a feel for the move I need to make. Put me over the ball however, and even using the tour striker smart ball I really struggle to get a feel for what it is I need to do. I’m hoping that the constant practice swings will help me eventually but that is the thing that is bothering me most at the moment

Posted:
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members  2136WRX Points: 324Posts: 2,136 Platinum Tees

instead of wondering how long to take effect just focus on improving a little each day...that may mean hitting 1 more ball well in a bucket of 100 but it's improvement nonetheless. I've been working on a change for 6 months and it's just barely starting to feel comfortable.....i hit around 400 balls each weekend.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.