***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Where does a golfer leave the "Weekend Warrior" tag behind?

2»

Comments

• klebs01klebs01 Members  660WRX Points: 282Handicap: 2.5Posts: 660 Golden Tee

Those irons and wedges are still conforming so long as you aren’t playing in an event with the CoC in place.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,224Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees

i currently have about a 2 hcp, report all scores faithfully & can generally stripe it around a golf course for an 80 or lower every time i play, regardless of the course (for the most part) ... but i do not play in tournaments and therefore still consider myself a weekend warrior since i have no idea what my hcp would be if i played tournament golf ...

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4813WRX Points: 1,889Posts: 4,813 Titanium Tees

It's well under 50% of all golfers in the USA have a handicap index. There is a Golf Digest article from 2014 that estimates 2 million people in the USA have an index via GHIN. There are well over 20 million golfers in the USA.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4813WRX Points: 1,889Posts: 4,813 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees

I think we throw the word "elite" around too much. Colt Knost just retired from the PGA this year after 13 years. He finished 3rd just 4 times over his career. He just played in some tournament in Denver where he shot -8 and lost by 20 strokes. What I'm trying to get at is, he said that most of the guys that beat him can't even sniff the Korn Ferry tour. I only see elite players on my TV.😀

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Titleist 816 H2 23 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1503WRX Points: 760Posts: 1,503 Platinum Tees

You loose the weekend warrior tag when golf becomes your only source of income, it's now your job. You become elite when you fly private to the next Major.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FlorisFloris Members  585WRX Points: 78Handicap: 4.2 (EURO)Posts: 585 Golden Tee

In my country we still use the older European Handicap system. This means that if you drop below a 4.4 handicap, you can only play Qualifying in official matches. I'd say this is the drop-off for 'better than average' golfers. Looking at the USGA link someone gave in the thread this would be somewhere around 10% of US players. On my homecourse we have only 8 active members playing 5 or less, on over 500 active members.

I can't wait to start using WHS as I can finally play qualifying outside of matches, somehow I always get teamed up with people that make me uncomfortable or at least not play my best.

To get back to the question: it depends on what you'd call elite. Looking at the 12% OP mentioned, we're looking at somewhere between 5.0 and 5.9 handicap. Let's make it 5.5 :) In golf it seems these numbers are a bit different, playing to a 5 handicap is considered 'quite good', but far from 'elite'. Even a 2 handicap player isn't exactly considered to be elite, eventhough he/she is in the top 4%.

For me personally I'm looking at gross scores:

Travelling and consistently being able to shoot sub-80 I consider to be a very good player.

Travelling and consistently being able to shoot sub-75 makes me jealous so that's better :P

Travelling and consistently being able to shoot level I'd consider to be elite amateur.

Anything better than that and I'd say you should be able to play top100 amateur in my country.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 9º | Oban Kiyoshi White 4-flex
    TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
    Titleist ProV1x 2020
    Arccos 360
    Clickgear B3 / Mizuno BR-D3 Blue/Grey/White or Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange-ish
  • FlorisFloris Members  585WRX Points: 78Handicap: 4.2 (EURO)Posts: 585 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 9º | Oban Kiyoshi White 4-flex
    TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
    Titleist ProV1x 2020
    Arccos 360
    Clickgear B3 / Mizuno BR-D3 Blue/Grey/White or Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange-ish
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

When you get your card on any pro tour or win a USGA amateur event.

Posted:
  • twidenertwidener TWidener Members  167WRX Points: 121Posts: 167 Fairways

I played D1 College, lots of city tournaments where club professionals were allowed to play in the Championship flight with the amateurs and the amateurs were very good. The club professionals never won or finished in the top 10 in any of the tournaments. The amateurs all could shoot in the mid-60's on a 7100 yd. course. And this was back in the persimmon and balata days.Had a +2 hdcp. I played in a couple of USGA Public Links Championships, before they discontinued that championship. Quite a few former professionals who had regained their amateur status played in that tournament and lots of guys who played in the US Amateur also played in the Public Links Championship. Also played in 3 or 4 US Open qualifiers and came close once. All of that was fun but during that time I still played most every weekend with a big group of guys for $5 on the front, back and 18. No presses and no one used their handicaps. Just played straight golf. And that was some of the most fun I ever had playing golf. I loved the pressure of playing in the bigger tournaments but being a Weekend Warrior and playing with my friends was the best.

Posted:
  • disco111disco111 Members  1340WRX Points: 421Handicap: 7Posts: 1,340 Platinum Tees

Where does a golfer leave the "Weekend Warrior" tag behind?

On Monday...............

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1503WRX Points: 760Posts: 1,503 Platinum Tees

According to the PGA theres about 27,000 golf pro's in the world. I doubt they all fly private, or fly at all.

Posted:
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members  1674WRX Points: 419Handicap: 1.5Posts: 1,674 Platinum Tees

We can't have it both ways in this forum. In the Instruction forum people are quick to point out, the majority of people will never be "elite" due to either physical or mental individual limitations. Yet, this thread is all about what result can a player drop the moniker of weekend warrior.

For me, if a guy/gal practices to improves and strives to continually get the most of their game whether they shoot 110 or 59, they are no longer a weekend warrior. To me, I am now the WW. I go out to drink beer and hang out with my friends with very little given to practice. For the last couple of years I would not have classified myself as such because I was spending an awful lot of time at the chipping green trying to improve an obvious weakness.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.