***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Foursomes. Bring it on.

elwhippy ·  
elwhippyelwhippy Members  3609WRX Points: 462Posts: 3,609 Titanium Tees

Our club has a 36 hole pairs comp this weekend. Morning is 4 ball better ball. Afternoon is foursomes. I personally enjoy foursomes but a huge number of regular comp loving members hate the format.

Do WRX members play many foursomes events?

Posted:

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

Foursomes is alternate shot? I've never played that type of an event but it sounds like fun.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • goaliedad30goaliedad30 Members  110WRX Points: 126Handicap: 4Posts: 110 Fairways

Some of our club tournaments use a modified alternate shot format for one day. Typically either hit two tee shots, choose one, then alternate shot in, or two tee shots, swap balls, two second shots, then alternate shot in. I think I've only ever played in one true foursome event; definitely nerve-wracking, and you'd better get along with your partner!

Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1732WRX Points: 989Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

We have a 6-6-6 tournament every year (except this one) where one of the 6's is alternate shot, not modified. There have been some big numbers thrown up in that format.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2656WRX Points: 1,668Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,656 ClubWRX

Play in a local two day, 54-hole tournament every year where we play 9 holes scramble, 9 holes best ball (four ball), and 9 holes alternate shot (foursomes). It is a load of fun. It is a Halloween tournament. Tough for my playing partner and I to win because of my handicap.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members  1765WRX Points: 213Handicap: 5.9Posts: 1,765 Platinum Tees

Foursome for amateurs is known as “**** your buddy”

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29953WRX Points: 3,000Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,953 Titanium Tees

Me and my regular foursome do a big ryder cup style weekend every year....just for fun, but there is a trophy involved.

One of the formats is true alternate shot. It is definitely an interesting format especially if you have players of different skill levels.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Tour Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey Oworks Red Tank #7

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

Have in a couples setting and in a competition with my daughter many years ago. I really enjoy it, but nobody around here ever wants to play the format.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1301WRX Points: 454Posts: 1,301 Platinum Tees

I could only see playing foursomes after joining a club and having unlimited golf. I used to play with a group that had a Ryder Cup format a couple times a year. Not really my thing to pay $100 for 40 swings, hated it actually.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • bok006bok006 Sundazed marooned duffer Members  82WRX Points: 42Handicap: 6.0Posts: 82 Fairways

At my club the foursomes format tournament was called the "Divorce Open" 😬

Posted:
    D - TaylorMade SIM 9°, Hazardous Smoke Yellow 70, 6.5
    F - Mizuno JPX900 13° & 16°, Fujikura EVO II Speeder 661
    H - Mizuno JPX900 21°, Fujikura pro 73h
    I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
    W - PING Glide 3.0, 50° 56° 60°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
    P - Scotty Cameron Futura X7M
    B - TaylorMade Tour Response
  • BPetryBPetry Members  110WRX Points: 67Handicap: 13Posts: 110 Fairways

I am playing in my clubs “Booze Bash” this coming weekend. Two rounds, one Saturday, one Sunday. The first round is playing your ball with any one in your foursome, turn your card in and then we have a seeding party with Calcutta for Sunday’s round which is an A flight and a B flight where top A is paired with bottom A and second A is paired with second from the bottom A and so on. B flight is the same. The kicker is that you and your partner are playing true alternate shot for 18 holes. We then add Saturday’s and Sunday’s scores together to determine placing. It is a hoot, but not for the faint of heart...lol

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6R
    Mizuno JPX850 - Fuji Motore 6.3 (Possibly Retired!)
    Cobra F9 3 wood 14.5* Fujikura Atmos 7R
    Cobra 2H 17* Fujikura Atoms 7R
    Cobra 4H 21* Fujikura Atmos 7R
    Cobra King Forged Tec 5-P KBS Taper Lite R
    Titleist Vokey SM8 48* SM 7 52*, 56*
    Scotty Cameron Newport Notchback
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3539WRX Points: 942Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees

Foursomes is the least popular format of our interclub Ryder cup. At least now its turned into Pinehurst format so at least you cant be screwed off the tee.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Advertisement
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1317WRX Points: 362Handicap: 5.1Posts: 1,317 Platinum Tees

We did alternate shot in one of our three 9-hole matches for my club's Ryder Cup event last year. I actually thought it was the most fun format of the day. I'm a 5 index, and they paired me with a 24 index. I told him right out of the gate "no apologizing for any bad shots, it is what it is". It was fun to be the guy that got to pull off the "hero" shot a couple of times.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

We don't play foursome enough, but have a on or two events a year. It not that popular as people that don't get out to golf much like to play their own ball. I get in well north of 100 rounds a year at my home course, so I like switching it up.

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6360WRX Points: 1,787Handicap: 3Posts: 6,360 Titanium Tees

I guess that I probably play more than most. We have a foursomes competition which runs over the course of the season at my home club and then we have a couple of team competitions throughout the year that are foursome events. The best one is a competition called the Northern Counties which has been played since 1900. Really cool event for a golf geek to play in.

This is the (rather dated) website for it, if it is of any interest - http://www.northerncountiescup.co.uk/

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,791Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX

That looks like a ton of fun - is it open to however many teams it allows, or are there comps or sections at each club to get in? Just curious.

Great courses.

Posted:
  • DArnieDArnie Members  28WRX Points: 19Handicap: 1Posts: 28 Bunkers
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6360WRX Points: 1,787Handicap: 3Posts: 6,360 Titanium Tees

Each member Club can play two teams although, if every club had two teams there wouldn’t be sufficient space so if it ever becomes over subscribed, there is a ballot of the second team although, you tend to find that most clubs will put two teams in dependent on location. In terms of selection, some clubs will just pick from the guys on their scratch team based on handicap/performance during the season whilst others will look at their Club Championship and take the top 4/8 from that. It is always a really good week. Great buzz around the course and always good to bump into some familiar faces.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2964WRX Points: 985Posts: 2,964 Titanium Tees

I played in a foursome tournament once in about 1980. The guy who asked me to play was a decent player. First hole, he hits it a mile right and I have a funky lie in 4" rough, ball above my feet and about 180 to the pin. I hit it stiff and he had 3 feet for birdie. His putt never came close to the hole.

Next hole, I hit it stiff again on a par 3 and he has 4 feet for birdie. (I don't do that all the time and not exaggerating). I had to make a 5 footer for par after he had some weird spasm thing going on with his putter. It went downhill from there and I thought the day would never end.

He really was a decent player, but some people just can't play tournament golf.

I'd do it again, though. Fun format.

Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • FergusonFerguson Members  6026WRX Points: 3,523Handicap: 6.7Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

You can remember that from 1980?

I was just a little kid but I remember Mount Saint Helens erupted and Caddyshack was released,

Posted:
  • FlorisFloris Members  585WRX Points: 78Handicap: 4.2 (EURO)Posts: 585 Golden Tee

I like the format, hard to train for :) You'll be put in spots you're not used to and both you and your partner need to be pretty forgiving sometimes :P

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 9º | Oban Kiyoshi White 4-flex
    TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
    Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
    Titleist ProV1x 2020
    Arccos 360
    Clickgear B3 / Mizuno BR-D3 Blue/Grey/White or Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange-ish
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2964WRX Points: 985Posts: 2,964 Titanium Tees

I can remember details of events all the way back to 1960. I remember Chet Huntley and David Brinkley reporting on JFK being elected.

40-60 years ago is fine, but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday . . .

Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.

Advertisement
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members  6949WRX Points: 1,149Handicap: XX.5Posts: 6,949 Titanium Tees

Had a set foursome that used to play a lot of scrambles at various clubs that would open them up to the public. A lot of fun. We finished second one year, usually were in the middle of the pack with a couple bring up the rear thrown in. The crew has since moved away.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    MG ball
    Cleveland Classic #4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.