***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

What do you do when you get hole-in-one

2»

Comments

• kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada. Members  584WRX Points: 360Posts: 584 Golden Tee

Look for a water hazard and do a swan dive into it. Hope I can get a playing partner to take the obligatory picture on the green. I'd have no problem buying drinks for my group and others who are around the 19th.... wouldn't want to conjure any (more) bad golf karma.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Cleveland HB #6 center shaft 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DallasDanDallasDan Members  35WRX Points: 16Handicap: 8Posts: 35 Bunkers

Let out the loudest RIc Flair "WOOOOOO!!!!" and then buy drinks for the group.

Posted:
  • phil75070phil75070 North Texas - 32m North of DallasMembers  2180WRX Points: 216Handicap: 3.x GHINPosts: 2,180 Platinum Tees

First, act like I've done it before. I have, 10 times now. Then buy drinks, more than one, for the guys in my group and the guys in front of us or behind us if I know them.

Posted:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 (-1/D)

3W: Callaway Epic Flash 15° (+2/N)

5W: Callaway Epic Flash 18° (+1/N)

Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 4H (-1/N)

Irons: Callaway Apex '19 5-AW

SW: Callaway Jaws 54°S

LW: Callaway Jaws 58°W

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Portland with Stroke Lab

Ball: Callaway 2020 Chrome Soft w/ Triple Track

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  701WRX Points: 414Posts: 701 Golden Tee

I have no experience in this matter whatsoever.

Posted:
  • 4x4GGG4x4GGG Members  167WRX Points: 92Handicap: 15Posts: 167 Fairways

Late 90's, I was in my early 20's. I had just started working entry level for large corporation. In the summer we had a 9 hole league. I was in the last group out and #9 is a par 3. All 20 people from the league were sitting on the terrace right up against the 9th green. I thought the 136 yard 8 iron went right, but it went left. It came down on the left side of the green catching a bunker slope. I finally saw it as it was rolling hard l2r across the green and just dropped into the cup. My group drinking on the patio loses it.

1. I was numb. It either didn't happen or it's no big deal or just another good shot... just didn't feel excited. My group and the group on the patio are all yelling back and forth and I just gave a few high fives and went back to my cart. Nah... that really didn't happen. Got up to the green and there was my Pinnacle in the cup. Pulled the ball, tended the pin, and felt the pressure of 20 people who make 4 to 6x my salary yelling about free drinks.
    2. I remember guessing I had about $50 to my name at this point. Maybe $20 in my wallet and $30 in my account. I went into the bar and they had $5 pitchers. Sweet. I ordered 5 pitchers and tipped $5 on the card. I then said oops and that I needed 2 more pitchers and paid cash for those. They guys took it easy on me mostly. The pitchers went quick and they ribbed me a little about shots of JW Blue, but they knew I was young and new to the workforce.
    Posted:
  • NewgsNewgs Members  59WRX Points: 33Handicap: 8.8 indexPosts: 59 Bunkers

At my club the tradition is you have to buy everyone in your group a new pair of golf shoes. I can't believe I am saying this, but thank God I have not made a hole in one!!!😂

Posted:

Cobra Amp Cell 9.5*

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist AP3 5-48*

Vokey SM7 52.8, 56.10, and 60.12

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Advertisement
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed MichiganClubWRX  4037WRX Points: 701Posts: 4,037 ClubWRX

Enjoy the experience and do whatever you want to do... imo this is one of older customs that is somewhat silly by more modern standards.

Posted:
  • ndlutzndlutz Members  49WRX Points: 38Handicap: 13.6Posts: 49 Bunkers

I'd have the most astronomical tab because I'd buy drinks for anybody who walked in the door until I went home. At bare minimum, my group would be on my tab the rest of the day. We usually put some shifts in at the bar too so it would be pricey. Luckily we're just beer drinkers for the most part.

Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX  15243WRX Points: 1,283Posts: 15,243 ClubWRX

“Drinks are free if you’re playing with me”!

No way I’m buying for everyone in the bar. Stupid tradition in my opinion.

Posted:

• klebs01klebs01 Members  660WRX Points: 282Handicap: 2.5Posts: 660 Golden Tee

Bough a drink for everyone that showed up to the club on Thursday. It was a busy day too being the first day of our member member tournament. Luckily we have hole in one insurance, and I signed up for the extra $100 a man insurance for the event. Definitely coming out ahead.

Posted:
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

The first one, I bought a dozen golf balls for the friend I was playing with ( was not going to buy drinks for a bunch of randles in the muni cafe that I never hang out in )

second one I was playing alone and brought some beers to the greenskeepers

I am not a country clubber and live in tourist land so have minimal experience with the bar crowd at the courses I play

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NaptimeNaptime Members  697WRX Points: 132Posts: 697 Golden Tee

I wake up.

Posted:
  • vsabrevsabre ClubWRX  258WRX Points: 80Posts: 258 ClubWRX

Mine was the first hole of a charity scramble to support addiction recovery ( 27 years here myself) . It was awesome, obviously no one drinks so I got off cheap that way😎. I won $500 for the hole-in-one, got the check from the insurance company, donated the money back to the charity, then my wife's company matched our donation to the charity. They got $1000 for me hitting a squirrelly looking 9-iron in the hole on my first swing of the tournament.....

Big believer in karma and $500 wasn't going to change my life, but $1000 sure helped change someone else's........

Posted:
    Trackman SS-97 GolfWrx SS-110

Ping G400 LST Xtorsion Copper 60 S
    Cobra King F7 Fujikura Pro 65 S 14.5* Weight Forward
    Ping I Blades 4-PW S300 + 1/2 Red Dot
    Mizuno TM7 Wedges 50, 54 and 58
    Toulon Atlanta StrokeLab 35"
  • blitzgolfblitzgolf Members  41WRX Points: 20Posts: 41 Bunkers

Definitely lunch / dinner post round. A must !

Posted:
  • OufcfanOufcfan Banbury, Oxfordshire , EnglandMembers  50WRX Points: 47Handicap: 6.7Posts: 50 Bunkers

my only one so far came on the 3rd hole in a comp at my home club with 106 players in.

i seem to remember smiling a lot more than usual during the round despite otherwise being pretty average that day.

then, after the round, spending about 20 mins reading the T&C’s of my golf insurance to make sure I was 100% confident of their rules! (Up to £150, has to be in a individual comp, had to be on one receipt with the correct date on. And had to send a copy of the scorecard signed by myself, the marker and the club pro. Then when I was happy with that, I bought bottles of Port and whisky to leave on the bar. Only took a few days to get reimbursed for it.

hope it happens again soon!

Posted:
  • ScottFScottF Members  19WRX Points: 20Posts: 19 Bunkers

I got mine back in 1985. I pulled the ball out of the cup, got a pat on the back from the guys I was playing with and finished the round.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • sittingbullsittingbull Members  32WRX Points: 26Handicap: 4Posts: 32 Bunkers

i play in a league with a bunch of beer salesman for the last 5 years and we put in 4 bucks a night for a hole in one. But no one has got on yet

There is like 1800 in the pot so when some one gets one its going to be a late night 😮

Posted:
  • sirukumasirukuma Members  291WRX Points: 109Posts: 291 Greens

Just pray it doesn’t happen to you in Japan

i played a lot of golf there and always took out the hole-in-one insurance as part of green fees just in case. It’s serious celebration coin.

Posted:
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6632WRX Points: 1,923Handicap: 8Posts: 6,632 Titanium Tees

Around here the guy that gets the hole in one buys drinks. And I have to believe it's one of the dumbest "traditions" on the face of the earth. If I get a hole in one everyone else in the bar should buy me a drink and then someone should be required to take me home and deposit me on my front porch! The wife will take care of the situation from there.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Titleist 816 H2 23 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    TM ATV grind 56
    KZG Forged 60 LW
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.